New Interview with Creator of Dragon Ball GT Rap

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DerekPadula
Regular

New Interview with Creator of Dragon Ball GT Rap

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:39 am

Do you have any questions for the creator and singer of the Dragon Ball GT rap intro? I have an interview scheduled with him this Thursday, March 19.

Now is your chance to discover its true origin. So ask away!
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Re: New Interview with Creator of Dragon Ball GT Rap

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 am

DerekPadula wrote:Do you have any questions for the creator and singer of the Dragon Ball GT rap intro? I have an interview scheduled with him this Thursday, March 19.

My question would be:

What the hell were you thinking? Rap was a terrible choice. Instead of using the cheerful and adventurous tune from the original Japanese version, you decide to create an atrocious and embarrassing AMV on crack.

In my honest opinion, I believe FUNi screwed up big time with this one. They should of just kept the intended music of the show; it would've been a lot more deserving than this crap. How do you think Americans would feel if other countries changed the music of Indiana Jones or Star Wars with gangster rap? It would be laughable and overrated. The same applies here.

If FUNi couldn't stick with the original music of the show then they shouldn't have licensed it in the first place.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:42 am

My question for Shorty...How did he get involved with FUNimation, and what is the current licensing situation with the song? Also was he a fan of the show himself?
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:28 am

Terrible opening, how did he get involved and what were his thoughts about it
Last edited by shinmaru on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 am

What does he think of the Japanese opening?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:17 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:What the hell were you thinking? Rap was a terrible choice. Instead of using the cheerful and adventurous tune from the original Japanese version, you decide to create an atrocious and embarrassing AMV on crack.
I don't think he (Shorty?) is responsible for replacing Dan Dan and hiring himself. This seems more like a question for someone who was a higher up at FUNimation.
-Rachel

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 am

I.... kind of like the rap opening... jumps out window before the pitchforks get to me
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 am

I'd like to know why he specifically chose to use rap as opposed to some other type of music.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:36 am

TripleRach wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:What the hell were you thinking? Rap was a terrible choice. Instead of using the cheerful and adventurous tune from the original Japanese version, you decide to create an atrocious and embarrassing AMV on crack.
I don't think he (Shorty?) is responsible for replacing Dan Dan and hiring himself. This seems more like a question for someone who was a higher up at FUNimation.
I swear I remember Funimation having a contest to see who raps the lyrics that they wrote the best.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:02 am

How long did it take him to write the lyrics for the song?

How did they contact him to specifically to do the intro?

Why was he chosen?

Was he satisfied with the final results of the song?

What was the reaction of the higher ups or any member of production team at the point of the rap intro?
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:06 am

The rap could of been better.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:30 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I.... kind of like the rap opening... jumps out window before the pitchforks get to me
Me too, but for the same reason I like Rock the Dragon.

I honestly have no idea what to ask this guy. Maybe, was he aware that his song was meant to change the tone of the whole show, and how did he feel about doing that, changing the show from what the creators had in mind in such a way?
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 am

DerekPadula wrote:Do you have any questions for the creator and singer of the Dragon Ball GT rap intro? I have an interview scheduled with him this Thursday, March 19.

How about:

How did the initial brief you were provided differ from the actual demands of the project? Was it an uncomfortable working balance between your artistic conception of the project and dialogue you had with the client (Funimation) and directions they were pulling you in?
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:57 am

Here's my question What are your thoughts when it comes to how much negative reception the fans and critics gave the GT rap when it debuted when GT first ran in the U.S.?
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 am

Just a simple question. Did he ever think his opening song could've been used for at least the second half of GT instead of the whole thing? Cuz the first half was cheery and adventurous while the other half(17 and Shadow Dragons) was all serious and action packed.
ekrolo2 wrote:I.... kind of like the rap opening... jumps out window before the pitchforks get to me
You are not alone! I am here with you! But I do think rock or rap-rock could've fit GT more than regular rap.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:53 am

"Were you given guidelines for how to produce the opening?" Or "how did you come up making a rap for DBGT?"

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
TripleRach wrote:
I swear I remember Funimation having a contest to see who raps the lyrics that they wrote the best.
I remember that too.

I remember some fat guy in a Goku outfit did a really cheesy AMV of him dancing around to the lyrics in front of the DBZ English Buu opening with bad special effects and that was the winner. (I think it was a bonus feature on some dvd?)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'll add these to my list.

Keep 'em coming.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 pm

It's been pretty much said, but I'd like to know how much control he had over the final result.

Did Funi give him any guidelines he had to stick to?
Was it his decision to make a rap song?
Were the lyrics his or sent from Funi?
How much information was he given (or, alternatively, did he already know about the show?) before beginning the work?
Was the song composed before or after the score?

I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to condense this into one question :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm kind of expecting that he was following orders and having most everything approved by Funimation, since that's how Menza said his work was handled.

"What the hell were you thinking? Rap was a terrible choice. Instead of using the cheerful and adventurous tune from the original Japanese version, you decide to create an atrocious and embarrassing AMV on crack. "

I doubt he just marched into Funimation headquarters one day and ordered them to replace all the music.

It was probably Gen and Barry's idea, since they had interviews they posted online the very same day. Thankfully I archived the Dragonballgt.com 1st Day Announcement interviews nearly a decade ago and, at long last, those archives have finally proven useful. :thumbup:

http://www.animecauldron.com/dbzuncenso ... views.html

1. Gen Fukunaga, President

"Hello, I'm Gen Fukunaga, President of FUNimation Productions. Thanks for joining us. We're so excited to have you fans, uh, following the Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball sagas, and now we're embarking on Dragon Ball GT, the long-anticipated sequel to the Dragon Ball Z franchise. We're really glad that we can, uh, bring this to you, it's been a worldwide phenomenon. We can expect to see higher power levels, higher impact, more action, and Super Saiyan 4. So- stay tuned and join us, join us in this great journey, and the rest of my team will be telling you what's coming up.

2. Barry Watson, Producer

"Hey, I'm Barry Watson, I'm the producer here for Dragon Ball GT and we are in the middle of production right now and I wanted to take a moment and tell you a little bit about what you can expect.. on it. For those of you who are not familiar with Dragon Ball GT, it's the next big thing in the Dragon Ball line. Uh... it's got the cast of characters you love- Goku, Trunks, Vegeta, as well as a host of new and exciting characters with Pan and Geeru and.. a whole new season of new an exciting villians. Uh, for those of you familiar with uh, Dragon Ball GT, let me tell you that this is a whole new look- at what you've seen before. We've redone the music, we've redone the sound effects, we're pumping up the energy and the dynamics throughout the entire series to give you more of the stuff you love with Dragon Ball Z, more action, more excitement, uhh... you've, you've got the Goku going Super Saiyan 4, you've got all kinds of new plot turns and twists. So, it's something you don't want to- mi-miss because it's a, uh, brand new fresh dynamic look at an exciting series. So, uh, get ready, because it's a whole new look and expect the unexpected with Dragon Ball GT. Heheh..." (sips a cup of coffee as the image fades out.)

BONUS- http://web.archive.org/web/200302150601 ... allgt.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/200304140308 ... age=making

And here are the original interviews! Wow, even THIS stuff is preserved perfectly on the web archives?! This is why I love those archives! :)

http://web.archive.org/web/200304091929 ... ?page=what#

I forgot how pretty Stephanie Nadolny was. When I fussed about the interviews, I definitely meant the first 3 and not her. :) (sides that she was just a VA doing her job, not an exec making the big decisions)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"