Saiyans or?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Saiyans or?

Post by TJVY » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:19 am

I seen a comment earlier that said that when the saiyans are the main focus people complain, yet when the non-saiyan characters are given more attention, they complain that the series needs less of the human characters. I assume most people will jump on the saiyan bandwagon, but I just thought I'd ask who here prefers when Dragon Ball caters primarily to the non-saiyan characters in exchange for the saiyan characters.

When I was younger I was all for the saiyan characters, but as I've gotten older I've recognized a greater appreciation for the non-saiyan characters who were relevant in the earlier arcs. I would much rather see the focus be on Goku and Vegeta with future development on the side for characters like Piccolo, Krillin, 18, etc. Based on what I've heard/seen so far of RoF, this may even be the direction the series could be going, who knows.

Someone will try to kill discussion of course by saying that the non-saiyan characters are no longer useful to the battlefield, but as long as Toriyama's writing pretty much any character is capable of receiving a huge power-up. We've seen it many times before and I'm not ruling it out as a possibility.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Saiyans or?

Post by sayian_nation_ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Non saiyan/alien characters will never be useless to me even if they aren't as strong as they can be, they were there for the ride from the start and they will continue to be there for support. Mostly, it was them who were able to buy enough time for the non humans to intervene before the chance was taken away permanently.

They play a big part in saving each other and they will risk their lives to do what's right! Z fucking warriors for lyfe

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:53 pm

I'm always in the camp that the non-Saiyans should get a fair share of the battle. I mean when was the last time guys like Tien, Krillin or Roshi ever contributed something in terms of fighting in the series?

I can't believe that people are actually complaining about the some of Saiyan's taking a back seat so that the Earthling cast can actually do something in terms fighting enemies. I mean, wasn't the fact that Earthling cast got the shaft while the Saiyan's "stole the spotlight", one of the main complaints about the series from the Saiyan arc and on wards? Now all of sudden, the Earthling are getting their moment to shine at the expense of few Saiyans and people are throwing a fit? What was the point of people clamoring for the Earthling cast to contribute more in terms of fighting enemies, if you they were just going to be against the idea when it was put into practice?

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:29 pm

I've always been a Piccolo fan, and have more of an appreciation for the humans than a lot of people it seems, so yeah--it's definitely nice when those guys actually have something to do besides hang out on the sidelines to watch the Saiyans do everything, or show up briefly in the occasional "Z Fighters Reunion" type scenes that we get before anything major happens or after all the fighting is over with.

One plus to the "Freeza returns" thing in the new movie is that with Freeza comes Freeza's army, so there's going to be plenty of weak punk aliens for Krillin, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and even Roshi to fight. And possibly a less-weak one that Piccolo might get a "real" fight scene with, from the looks of that red guy managing to knock Piccolo down (Piccolo's weighted cape and turban are still on in that scene, right? I'm seriously hoping the weights come off and we get a real Piccolo fight after he gets knocked down at first, rather than some Saiyan having to swoop in and finish the red guy off. Though I wouldn't be opposed to Mr. Buu being the one to swoop in and beat the red guy, either--it's been ages since we've seen Buu do any fighting, aside from being smashed against Gohan by Beerus in the last movie anyway. And I'm assuming Gohan gets beaten by the revived Freeza rather than the minions, considering that this version of Freeza seems to be able to keep up with post-SSj God Goku.)
I seen a comment earlier that said that when the saiyans are the main focus people complain, yet when the non-saiyan characters are given more attention, they complain that the series needs less of the human characters.
I'm pretty sure these are two different groups of people complaining (Saiyan fanboys vs. those who want more of the full cast to play a part), and those groups probably don't have much (or any) overlap between them.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:57 pm

I'll take whatever Dragon Ball content I get as long as the stories are great! Goku and Vegeta are my favorite characters, but that doesn't mean that I don't want other characters to be developed more. One of my favorite episodes of Dragon Ball was where Ten tries to make reparations with the guy he injured when they were hunting for Dragon Balls in the Piccolo arc. I think the biggest draw of the Saiyans is that they are the best developed characters, but it doesn't hurt that they look so cool!

I'm so excited that Roshi, Piccolo, Kuririn, Bulma, and Ten are getting bigger roles in the new movie!
Last edited by baneofdemon22 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:18 pm

It's not about race, it's about characters. If the humans sucked then I wouldn't care that they got the shaft, but since Tien, Krillin, and Yamcha (and Roshi) are all actually super cool, naturally I desire to see them get more shine. That said, Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan are some of my favorite characters period, so I don't want them to get replaced.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm

I do despise that Tenshinhan wasn't shown to be roughly as powerful as Piccolo. It was implied that he was going to surpass Kaio's teachings more than anybody else. If a mastered Kaioken = x10 multiplier and being able to push as far as x20, then he should have been able to use something like "Shin Kaioken" or "Super Kaioken" or something, meaning each one is a x10 or x20 multiplier, which would have kept him on par with SSJ (though, admittedly, not SSJ2 or beyond).

Krillin also should have gotten more gains on account of having his potential raised on Namek so much and later having #18 as a potential sparring partner. He doesn't need to become as strong as Piccolo, let alone the Saiyans, but let him have more moments of glory.

I'm ok with Yamcha and Roshi being sidelined, though. Yamcha never did anything to suggest he'd catch up to first-form Freeza. I'll give benefit of the doubt that he caught up to the Ginyu Force, but I personally don't think he surpassed Ginyu himself. Meanwhile, Roshi's incentives are much different from everybody else's, so he stepped down as of the 22nd Budokai.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 am

I'm pretty sure these are two different groups of people complaining (Saiyan fanboys vs. those who want more of the full cast to play a part)
That seems like a really biased description of each side.

But anyway, yeah, clearly different fans responsible for each of the two complaints. There are even people out there who are happy the Earthlings are in but want the Saiyans to be in as well.

I mean it's not just Saiyans being excluded, more Earthlings than Saiyans are being excluded (Yamcha, Chaozu, Satan). The two that are excluding are also half-Earthling. Then there's also Majin Boo, possibly 18 (who is at least in the film, but doesn't appear to fight).

So I don't even see how this became "Earthlings vs Saiyans" when it's really "2-3 Earthlings (Kuririn's always been more relevant, don't even know to count him) returning" vs "3 Earthlings, 1 Majin, 2 hybrids being excluded and 1 Android possibly being a cheerleader".

That's why I'm unhappy. We lost more than we gained, not just in numbers but in quality. Goten/Trunks could have had interactions with Freeza due to their resemblance to the two Saiyans who beat him. Funny interactions given the kids. Boo is cool, funny, and has interesting powers. He could also use more development as a newer character. Satan is always good for a laugh, Yamcha and Chaozu... uh... it'd really suck if Android 18 is only there to cheer Kuririn on. I'm hoping she has to save him or something so that "tender moment" involves her actually doing something instead of being a prop for Kuririn.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Pantalones wrote: I'm pretty sure these are two different groups of people complaining (Saiyan fanboys vs. those who want more of the full cast to play a part), and those groups probably don't have much (or any) overlap between them.
Well, I dunno. I am a fan of both saiyans and humans. I would actually like to see Yamcha, Tien and Krillin playing some role with saiyans uniting together in order to defeat a main villain.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:I'll take whatever Dragon Ball content I get as long as the stories are great! Goku and Vegeta are my favorite characters, but that doesn't mean that I don't want other characters to be developed more. One of my favorite episodes of Dragon Ball was where Ten tries to make reparations with the guy he injured when they were hunting for Dragon Balls in the Piccolo arc. I think the biggest draw of the Saiyans is that they are the best developed characters, but it doesn't hurt that they look so cool!

I'm so excited that Roshi, Piccolo, Kuririn, Bulma, and Ten are getting bigger roles in the new movie!
I've been trying to not know much of the new movie, but are they actually getting some spot light? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yeah, that episode with Ten is one of my all time favourites.

But the Earthlings always had more interesting fights to me than what the Saiyans do for the sole fact that they are fighting to the death, whereas Goku doesn't have consequences when he dies.
It's not about race, it's about characters. If the humans sucked then I wouldn't care that they got the shaft, but since Tenshinhan, Krillin, and Yamcha (and Roshi) are all actually super cool, naturally I desire to see them get more shine. That said, Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan are some of my favorite characters period, so I don't want them to get replaced.
The awesome thing is that Toriyama has written great characters, whom are very likable, yet he never uses them in any capacity other than being fodder. The interactions between characters during the King Piccolo arc is some of my all time favourite material Toriyama and Toei (in filler) have ever done.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:57 pm

I would definitely like to see more attention given to the other characters, as they are some of my favorites and it's sad how they got "left behind" as the series progressed.
Trans rights, now!