Best DB Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Best DB Movie

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:13 pm

History of Trunks.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:
Bullza wrote:Battle of Gods for too many reasons to mention.

The others almost literally can't compare to it. I know it's a matter of opinion but the others movie just arnt as good, period.
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2263944/
Rating: 7.3/10 - ‎12,338 votes

Dragon Ball Z: Tree of Might (1990) - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142233/
Rating: 7.2/10 - ‎3,296 votes
That's not a good example at all because of the huge difference in votes. Movies like this will get higher ratings the less votes they have because those that do vote are obviously going to be the bigger fans who usually will rate movies a higher score than they deserve.

If Tree of Might had 12,000 votes it wouldn't have as high a score as 7.2.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:21 pm

tx3 wrote:
Bullza wrote:Battle of Gods for too many reasons to mention.

The others almost literally can't compare to it. I know it's a matter of opinion but the others movie just arnt as good, period.
Well i agree the movies are not good ...Fusion reborn had best fighting scenes of all the movies, Gogeta did suck though ( double knee kick lol ) ..maybe 20 sec. and it was over :/
BoG is the most cinematic one, but still not a good movie period ...it has a weak plot ...better say an non existing one...it has weak action.. the Humor was really bad imo ..logic holes ..and bad writing all over the place. i did not like the SSJ god Transformation either ...just my taste
I think in it's own right it's still a good movie but not a great one. It's story was one of the weaker aspects of the movie and really the only area where the other movies could possibly compare.

However the final fight with Goku vs Beerus makes any other fight in the movies look like shit to me. The humour was a little hit and miss I suppose.

More than anything it was an actual movie. The others are half a movie if that and most of them are more fitting as anime filler episodes than anything.

That alone is why Battle of Gods is miles beyond the others.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Movie 12 is still my favorite. Great animation (apart from the style choice for the Goten and Trunks segments), the fantastic score, good balance between humor and action and the fight scenes are just animated so well in my view. And obviously because of Janemba, the lunatic with his freakish abilities. And Gogeta.

And the pace is spot on, it never feels that it drags on.

Yup.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:08 pm

Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. Took the first training arc from the manga, and made it an amazing adventure: Goku's and Krillin's rivalry retold, Launch's first meeting retold, a threatening villain with a goofy cast of minions, and Bulma, Yamcha, Puar, and Oolong get in on the fun. Watch it asap if you haven't before.

fdsfgs71

Post by fdsfgs71 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:46 pm

I find it kind of humorous how TC asks for what the best DB movie is and yet everyone with the exception of FoolsGil is discussing the DBZ movies instead.

On topic, it's been ages since I last watched any of them, but I do remember liking how Mystical Adventure and The Path to Power managed to rewrite the material of several arcs into fairly cohesive plots, it put a new spin on familiar material and IIRC they were pretty fun to watch too.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:03 pm

If you had asked me years ago I would have instantly said Movie 12!! Fusion Reborn! But that one is no longer the best. If we are talking out of the old movies (which I view as a seperate thing since they kind of are)... I'd now say Wrath of the Dragon, which I recently re-watched. I was surprised that a film I saw as sort of too slow and boring as a kid felt a lot more dramatic and actually gave the character of Tapion time to be developed a little instead of constant action. If the movies could be full 2 hour features the film would be better... but the best thing about it is just how different it feels.

Movie 12 is still my second favorite of the old films simply because of everything everyone else has already said. It's pretty well-rounded with great characters/character designs/a great setting (fight in HELL)/The awesome Gogeta Fusion/Great Premise/Funny bits, etc.

But if we include the new movies I'll have to say BOG is my favorite because of Beerus and how great of a character he is. THAT being said. There is an old-school feel to the older movies that the new movie just doesn't have and can't have. It's partly to do with the focus being more on humor and character interaction then action. But a lot has to do with the animation being digital instead of cel.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 pm

I would go with either Bojack Unbound or Battle of Gods. Those two movies are the only ones that had any sort of a plot structure to them at all. The rest such as Dead Zone or The World's Strongest were terrible with no plot structure, horrible fights, weak enemies, and deus ex machina for Goku's victory. I can not get over how much I hate Dead Zone because of how bad it is, the way Goku just defeats everyone and then out of nowhere Gohan finishes off Garlic.

Bojack Unbound had a great structure and was very interesting. It had good pacing and an all right fight, but in the end I dislike it because Gohan was a bitch who wouldn't transform into SSJ2 until the last minute. Once he did he killed Bojack too quickly and I'm like "how anti-climactic." It could've been amazing, but in the end the time constraints and poor execution made the second half of the film suck. Battle of Gods had everything it needed to succeed but not enough fighting and then the fight between Goku and Beerus was dull. No iconic moves or anything really godly about their battle except the fact that the status of both fighters was "God."

Here's to hoping Resurrection「F」is the film we've been waiting for.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:05 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:The rest such as Dead Zone or The World's Strongest were terrible with no plot structure, horrible fights, weak enemies, and deus ex machina for Goku's victory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f9HkfROhNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL647ICKlf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAkitmLBLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EidzTATG0

I''ll gladly take these "horrible" well choreographed fights over the moronic, childish fights from the later films.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:09 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I would go with either Bojack Unbound or Battle of Gods. Those two movies are the only ones that had any sort of a plot structure to them at all. The rest such as Dead Zone or The World's Strongest were terrible with no plot structure, horrible fights, weak enemies, and deus ex machina for Goku's victory. I can not get over how much I hate Dead Zone because of how bad it is, the way Goku just defeats everyone and then out of nowhere Gohan finishes off Garlic.

Bojack Unbound had a great structure and was very interesting. It had good pacing and an all right fight, but in the end I dislike it because Gohan was a bitch who wouldn't transform into SSJ2 until the last minute. Once he did he killed Bojack too quickly and I'm like "how anti-climactic." It could've been amazing, but in the end the time constraints and poor execution made the second half of the film suck. Battle of Gods had everything it needed to succeed but not enough fighting and then the fight between Goku and Beerus was dull. No iconic moves or anything really godly about their battle except the fact that the status of both fighters was "God."

Here's to hoping Resurrection「F」is the film we've been waiting for.
Dead Zone and World's Strongest had some of the best animated, well choreographed fights in the entire series of movies.

Literally, what are you talking about?

Bojack is one of the least interesting villains in the entire lineup. While his crew has unique designs and concepts, they ultimately have zero personality. The plot itself is incredibly simple and, while the idea of Bojack is mildly interesting, it ultimately adds up to nothing. Despite it's striking visuals and designs, as well as a pretty unique match-up of Tenshinhan VS. Trunks, it also has a totally bullshit Deus Ex Machina via Goku somehow being able to hit Bojack and ends up with a pathetic "final battle" where it's just Gohan getting a (admittedly beautiful) powerup, then wiping out Bojack and his minions without any effort.

Dead Zone, on the other hand, centered around a unique concept of Garlic Jr., looking to expand upon the mythos established in DragonBall, and within it we got beautifully animated fight scenes, both for Piccolo and Goku. Of course, Garlic Jr. using the Dead Zone will always be a prime example of an idiotic move made by a villain, but Gohan beating him is not out of left field at all. Do you even remember their fight with Raditz? It makes perfect sense, and was a fantastic way to end that fight.

World's Strongest introduced the brand new concept of bio-warriors and utilized them in creative ways. Misokatsun, Ebifurya, and Kishime all had unique designs and powers, all had beautifully animated fight scenes with Goku layered in a Game of Death style advancement, and lead to the fight scene between Goku and Piccolo; which, to this day, is my favorite movie battle. Dr. Wheelo's motivations and concept were all strikingly different from anything seen before, and his showdown with Goku is classic.

Both of those movies are chock filled with classic moments, unique concepts, beautiful art and animation, appropriate humor. Nixing those weird, unnecessary songs, they're two of my favorite movies in the entire franchise.

Battle of Gods takes the spot at first place, though. As the only film with a full runtime, an actual plot structure, character development, fantastic humor, (mostly) fantastic animation, and one of the best antagonists in the entire series.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:10 am

I would argue they have the best choreographed fights. >.>
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:24 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I would argue they have the best choreographed fights. >.>
I dunno about that. The Majin Boo arc produced some stunning choreographed fights. Especially in the anime.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:25 am

Battle of Gods is the best one. It includes awesome animation, one of the best fights in the series (Goku vs Beerus Round 2), two fantastic new characters and a great mix of humour and action. I love the film to death. Let's hope that Resurrection 'F' is as good or even better.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:25 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
I dunno about that. The Majin Boo arc produced some stunning choreographed fights. Especially in the anime.
Oh, I meant out of the movies. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 am

Battle of Gods, because:
- Awesome animation
- Great voice acting
- Nice, modern-sounding music
- So, so much nostalgia
- Introduced two amazing new characters
- Had a DB and DBZ feel to it
- Added lots of lore to the DBZ universe and potential for huge story expansion
- The underground fight scene.
- Finally some sweet scenes between Vegeta and Bulma, especially at the end
-Trunks and Mai. Too cute.
- Finally Goku gives up for once
- lots of other things I can't think of X)

I also like Wrath of the Dragon. I love the buu-arc style and animation in it, Tapion, his friendship with Trunks, and how Trunks got his sword. Fusion Reborn was cool too, because Janemba of course and his abilities to warp and do all kinds of crazy stuff (materializing that mini version of Goku? LOL.) and I loved the silly banter and antics between Goku and Vegeta. King Kai was funny too: "Use the gas; USE THE GAS!" XD Also liked the first Cooler movie, because of Cooler's design, and there were some pretty cool fight scenes.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:45 am

I enjoyed Fusion Reborn the most

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:45 am

*cough*Goku vs. Vegeta*cough**cough**cough*
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
*cough*Goku vs. Vegeta*cough**cough**cough*
fadeddreams5 wrote:Oh, I meant out of the movies. =P

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 am

Hmm, tough question. Well , not really but i'm gonna discount BoG from consideration because it's canon and so that i'll actually have to consider this. I'll get back to you on it

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 am

Battle of Gods by far beats everything and it really isn't close at all