Recast Masako Nozawa's Roles

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Recast Masako Nozawa's Roles

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:13 pm

If Masako Nozawa were to, for any reason, become unable to portray Goku or her other characters, who would you want to replace her?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Recast Masako Nozawa's Roles

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:15 pm

The only obvious choice would be for Sean Schemmel to learn fluent Japanese and do it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Park Romi is the one name actor I can think of who could play all of the characters with vigor.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:18 pm

A guy.

This answer is not meant to be snappy or otherwise unpleasant. It is simply what I'd love to change about the Japanese version - for male characters to be voiced by males and female characters by females.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Gilbert Gottfried, the only man who can capture the essence of Nozawa's voice acting.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Chris Tucker is the only one who can do her justice as a successor.
Rocketman wrote:Gilbert Gottfried, the only man who can capture the essence of Nozawa's voice acting.
Or him.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Neither can speak Japanese

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Kamina(TTGL) JPN Voice. Only his voice can capture Goku's charisma

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:44 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Kamina(TTGL) JPN Voice. Only his voice can capture Goku's charisma
Goku has charisma?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Isnt there a thread about this already? I'm not a mod,though so its up to them to decide anything.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Kamina(TTGL) JPN Voice. Only his voice can capture Goku's charisma
Goku has charisma?
Umm yeah. Why wouldn't he? Almost every character besides Ten or Chaozu has charisma

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:49 pm

They'll probably pick someone who could emulate her voice.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:49 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Goku has charisma?
Umm yeah. Why wouldn't he? Almost every character besides Ten or Chaozu has charisma
exercising a compelling charm that inspires devotion in others.
Goku has some charm, I guess, but he doesn't particularly inspire devotion.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Goku has some charm, I guess, but he doesn't particularly inspire devotion.
Devotion among who? Given how his friends pretty much give in to him, I'd say that he does inspire devotion, especially amongst his enemies who can't stop thinking about him.
Gilbert Gottfried, the only man who can capture the essence of Nozawa's voice acting.
Oh, you're so clever. :roll:
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Goku has charisma?
Umm yeah. Why wouldn't he? Almost every character besides Ten or Chaozu has charisma[/quote]
exercising a compelling charm that inspires devotion in others.
Goku has some charm, I guess, but he doesn't particularly inspire devotion.[/quote]
love, loyalty, or enthusiasm for a person, activity, or cause.
He loves his friends. He loves fighting.
He's loyal to his friends. Hes loyal to fighting.
He's has great enthusiasm for fighting.

Soo..?

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Tzigi wrote:This answer is not meant to be snappy or otherwise unpleasant. It is simply what I'd love to change about the Japanese version - for male characters to be voiced by males and female characters by females.
Don't you like Junpei Takiguchi as Uranai Baba? 8)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Oh, you're so clever. :roll:
Deep in the night, as you lay down to rest, you hear it. Drifting on the wind, from a time and place unknown.

"bwaaakkhh"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:35 pm

I don't really have any predictions as to who will play her roles, since my number one pick - Mayumi Tanaka - is already kind of Kuririn, and her being Goku as well as Luffy would probably be a bit much (not that it's stopped the English side of things... :P ). What I do have though is a prediction/guess/kind-of-a-want for role distribution.

Honestly, I don't think they'll ever be able to find someone who has the talent to play not only Goku in his various ages, but Gohan, Goten, and all of her other roles too. Nozawa makes it work for the most part, but it'd be a pretty tall order for most others. So the way I predict it is this - one woman (because I can't see Japan breaking that trend and ostracizing what Japanese fans are used to) will end up playing Goku, both kid and adult, and this woman may well end up playing Bardock and Turles as well, for 'similarity' reasons. Another woman will get cast as Gohan, again for all of his ages. Finally a third will probably get the role of Goten. I suppose it's possible Goten could go to either the new Goku or Gohan actresses, but while they're splitting it up a bit, may as well go all the way.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Can't imagine Bardock with another voice actor/actress. And this serves for Brazilian and English dubs, which I'm so used to.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:30 pm

I've said it before in similar threads and I'll say it again, Rica Matsumoto (Best known as Satoshi [Ash Ketchum] from Pocket Monsters) would make a good replacement for Nozawa.