So, Quality control at Toei is not a thing?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

So, Quality control at Toei is not a thing?

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:46 pm

After the fiasco that is DBZKAI 2.0 (Buu Saga). And the recent cons of fukkatsu no f (Animation for a series as big as db should get a treatment similar to Madhouse's HxH).

Music placement is bad, there is not a good budget for music, animation seems to be nothing amazing. You know you need to worry if they choose a idol group to sing a girly song in a movie about revenge, escaping from hell, and blowing up worlds.

So who's the damn monkey at toei who oversees and gives an *OK* too all these crap?.

I'M STILL HYPED FOR THE MOVIE, But seriously... that music is just too girly for DBZ. And animation wise, I would like db to be treated like HxH or many more anime with great animation.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: So, Quality control at Toei is not a thing?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:59 pm

The idol group is apart of the consumer wagon thats huge in Japan. plus we have this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRj6AsZ0G4 (atleast for the trailer)

Animation wise, Sailor moon does have it a lot worse. But I think TOEI's doing a lot of things on the cheap these days.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Black_Liger wrote:After the fiasco that is DBZKAI 2.0 (Buu Saga). And the recent cons of fukkatsu no f (Animation for a series as big as db should get a treatment similar to Madhouse's HxH).

Music placement is bad, there is not a good budget for music, animation seems to be nothing amazing. You know you need to worry if they choose a idol group to sing a girly song in a movie about revenge, escaping from hell, and blowing up worlds.

So who's the damn monkey at toei who oversees and gives an *OK* too all these crap?.

I'M STILL HYPED FOR THE MOVIE, But seriously... that music is just too girly for DBZ. And animation wise, I would like db to be treated like HxH or many more anime with great animation.
The music is way to girly and out of place for DBZ,maybe It's a good track for Sailor Moon. Hope they don't mess up the SFX.
Last edited by shinmaru on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:13 pm

Quality control has always been an issue with Dragon Ball, even during its glory days when it was a billion dollar franchise. Toei always stretch their budget, to minimize production cost. It's a typical business model. And As eledoremassis02 pointed out, Sailor Moon Crystal has it much worse. And don't even get me started on Toriko. Honestly, considering how old Dragon Ball is, consider yourselves lucky that even we're even getting new content like the movie's and spin-off manga's.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 pm

With a brand as big as DBZ there doesn't need to be any cause it'll sell no matter what.

The same thing is going on with Naruto&One piece.

But an anime like HXH doesn't have a huge worldwide following like the 3 above so it has to relay on quality in order to sell.
Lord Beerus wrote:Honestly, considering how old Dragon Ball is, consider yourselves lucky that we're even getting new content like the movie's and spin-off manga's.
With how big the series is I'm surprised we didn't get anything sooner.
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Black_Liger wrote: (Animation for a series as big as db should get a treatment similar to Madhouse's HxH).
Talking about quality, both HxH movies are meh. The first one is okay, the second has worst animation than the anime episodes.
Doesn't make any sense a movie having worst animation than anime episodes. In my time, it always was something bigger and better.

Talking about remake. Kai is trash and lazy. Doesnt make sense (yup, a lot of things in this world don't) that the most famous anime worlwide and something that gave so much money to Toei was treated like that.

Especially when you have FMA Brotherhood and HxH 2011 have top notch treatment, when both can't even compare do DB, popularity wise.

Toei probably thinks something around the lines "Why should we bother if this will sell anyways?". In the end of the day, Its business.
Minimum budget, Maximum profit.

Toei doesn't love Dragon Ball. Toei loves the money they earn with Dragon Ball.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:31 pm

The girly song is just for promo and will not "plague" the movie itself if you don't like it as it is not included during the events, but when the movie's over.
It's the single of the movie, it's there to sell well, be heard on the radio, be aired on TV and promote the movie as a bonus.

The song that actually matters as being connected to the movie because it's actually part of the events on screen, is "F" by Maximum the Hormone.
Just like you cared for Day of Destiny when Gohan transformed in Super Saiyan 2, but the 13 previous movies' theme songs during the ending credits don't really impact the movie's content in any way.

So there is no problem.
When you had the "super-cute" Come Out, Incredible Zenkai Power as en ending, you can't possibly aim lower, and even that song doesn't impact the content and quality of the episodes themselves.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:33 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Toei doesn't love Dragon Ball.Toei loves the money they earn with Dragon Ball.
This is how every company is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:36 pm

shinmaru wrote: The music is way to girly and out of place for DBZ,maybe It's a good track for Sailor Moon. Hope they don't mess up the SFX.
Don't think that it is good for Sailor Moon. Maybe Pretty Cure, but not Sailor Moon. Totally think that this song is odd for a movie.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Toei doesn't love Dragon Ball. Toei loves the money they earn with Dragon Ball.
This is the same with Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya. Just look at Crystal, and this awful 3d movie - Legend of Sanctuary. I hope that at least Soul of Gold will be good. They know that it would be sold well just because of titles, Sailor Moon is well-known everywhere, the same with DBZ, and Saint Seiya is also very popular in the certain countries, that's why they don't even bother.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:46 pm

I actually like the song but we have our own preferences
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:51 pm

sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Toei doesn't love Dragon Ball.Toei loves the money they earn with Dragon Ball.
That's not true. Many companies worry about their image, the satisfaction of their clients and overall quality of their products, not just because of a sense of pride and achievement but also because those actions can easily translate into better ratings, more fans and more money in the future.

Companies that only care about the immediate earnings are not only alienating their clients but also not thinking ahead into the future.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:05 pm

The Dragon Ball fanbase sure loves to complain.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:27 pm

ZazamPow wrote:The Dragon Ball fanbase sure loves to complain.
Considering the shabby treatment the franchise has gotten over the years, as much as we love Dragon Ball, we every right to criticize and complain as fans.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:33 pm

That's not only cynical, it's simply not true. Steve Jobs wanted to create products that he loved more than he wanted to make money.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ZazamPow wrote:The Dragon Ball fanbase sure loves to complain.
Considering the shabby treatment the franchise has gotten over the years, as much as we love Dragon Ball, we every right to criticize and complain as fans.
DBZ gets better treatment and more products than the vast majority of anime/manga brands.

The fact it isn't the stuff some fans personally want doesn't change that. DBZ fans complain the show has gotten to MANY releases... yet they want more releases... and have specific lists of what they would want those releases to contain.

The franchise is getting new films after years of people wanting new animation besides the odd off video special. But the movies aren't exactly what fans want, so... non stop complaining.

I mean, how can we not complain... FREEZA IS GOLD. And apparently that's a very bad thing.
ABED wrote:
That's not only cynical, it's simply not true. Steve Jobs wanted to create products that he loved more than he wanted to make money.
True in some cases, false in others. The overpriced adapters, etc. had nothing to do with quality or his love of them. That sort of thing was pure mark up profit.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Steve Jobs was a hack, please don't bring him up.

All companies are concerened with money first.

I'm just happy we get new material and it doesn't look that bad.. i mean its not DBZ level bad

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 pm

JamesOwnz wrote:Steve Jobs was a hack, please don't bring him up.

All companies are concerened with money first.

I'm just happy we get new material and it doesn't look that bad.. i mean its not DBZ level bad
Steve Jobs made products people valued, that's not a hack. And not all companies are concerned with money first, you can't just make such a statement and not back it up. Yes, money is a big goal but it's not the overriding reason why people form companies. The question those entrepreneurs ask is how they want to make their money. You can make money in a lot of different businesses, but the kind of companies they form is very important, it's not an arbitrary choice. And plenty of people make rational tradeoffs. They forgo more profit for other things, such as control and flexibility. Considering Jobs lifestyle was hardly impressive, your choice of adjectives is baffling.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 pm

How do you guys hate Toei and their crappy treatment of the series throughout its history, yet assume that the way they originally broadcasted the show was the way it was 'intended to be seen'

Huge double standard on your parts

Lol Steve Jobs never made a single thing :lol:
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Lol Steve Jobs never made a single thing :lol:
Can you add something of substance instead of smugly writing "lol" AND an emoticon?! Apple nearly went bankrupt and after he came in as CEO, it became king of the mountain. Clearly he did something of value.

This is a pet peeve of mine, not the issue of Steve Jobs necessarily, but that companies are only interested in money and will sacrifice everything else to get it. People smugly look down on companies that often provide products people use to criticize those companies with, and look down on the profit motive. So what if Toei doesn't have the greatest quality control. I still find it amazing that they pump out as much product as they do and it comes out as good as it does. Look at DB and compare it to the American cartoons of the time or even 10 years later.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:28 pm

How about everyone remember it's a discussion of Toei and not an e-penis fight over whether people like Apple and Jobs or not.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.