Excellent article on Viz and manga issues

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Excellent article on Viz and manga issues

Post by GS7X7 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:18 am

http://www.endlesssos.com/how-we-failed ... in-the-us/

Pretty interesting! I was surprised to see Brian Real mentioned, most people don't know about the connection there. I know BR (and the toriyama.org petition) convinced Funi to do dual, uncut dvds. I know he also talked them into releasing the dvd's themselves, but I'm completely uncertain if BReal talked them out of continuing to dub with Pioneer or if they did that themselves.

Whoever wrote this definitely spoke to at least person in the know to be able to know that much about BReal.

The article does leave out a lot (the petition to uncensor the manga, the toriyama.org petition- both petitions got 10,000+ signatures, though bizarrely were never even to erase the "petitions for DBZ will never work" stigma that later emerged).

Kinda a shame though, BReal did a lot of major stuff back in the day (getting Simmonds on board, helping convince Funi of the dual-dvds) but he's mainly remembered by most for the whole fansubs thing and a fight he had with a webmaster long ago.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

SJR
Banned

Re: Excellent article on Viz and manga issues

Post by SJR » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Do grown men really want to see Goku's uncensored dick that badly? :?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:27 pm

SJR wrote:Do grown men really want to see Goku's uncensored dick that badly? :?
Yes.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

The point of the article went straight over your head.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Jesus Christ SJR.

Look... I left Dbzoa ten. Years. Ago. That's ten years. Okay, nine if you want to be pedantic, but still.... I know we feuded -long ago- but...... why do you keep following me online just to pick fights with me? Can't you just like.... move on? Find something better to do? I don't track you down to, well wherever you post and do stuff on the internet these days, because frankly I don't care, I mean, what would the point of doing that even be?

I promise you, -nobody- even remembers or cares about our fight from long ago except you.

There's kids in High School I don't like I feuded with but I don't freaking follow them to the ends of the internet to harass them- mainly because I've pretty much forgotten about them and I don't care about them anymore. Ie, I have -better things to do.- You'd be a lot happier like, watching a fun movie or tv show or reading a book rather than trying to resuscitate some old internet feud with somebody that's forgotten you.

Do you have anything better to do than lurk here and occassionaly post something snide just to harass me?

Jesus, just move on already, God.
Last edited by GS7X7 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:18 pm

From the article, the guy tends to be a little too nitpicky over the chi/ki thing and the whole Djinn translation.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 am

Keep your personal B.S. elsewhere. I don't want to read it and no-one else wants to read it. If you want to talk about growing up, just don't respond and move on with your life. Don't create a need for babysitting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Interesting read, I agree with him

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:07 pm

SJR, welcome back man! Nice to see you back here after 3 years of being absent, send me a private message so I can contact you back. (You disabled private messages from your end, I've been trying to contact you for awhile)

GS777, you know I respect you now and have no issue with you (and the fact that you think SM's english DiC music is better than the JPN music, earns you even more brownie points with me, we should have a discussion about that another time) but I'm going to have to agree with SJR here. His point wasn't an attack on you, it was simply making a point, a point that I share.

I get that some people want the manga 100% uncut but there's just not enough demand to re-release it again especially when it's been released "almost" completely uncut. As for the things that did get censored, I honestly have no interest in seeing those things in an English release. I don't care about seeing the scenes that were more disturbing in nature (like mentioned in the article) or seeing nudity of any kind. (It was lame that they censored some of the fighting/violence though)

I get that some people are very big on freedom of speech and want to see all that stuff in an English release just out of principle, I respect that, I really do, but I personally just don't care.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah Mr Great Saiyaman. He didnt even mention you. I'm honestly shocked because you took other from other users stuff in stride. (Even from me at one point, sorry about that!).

To tell the truth, I dont lose any sleep over censored baby penises but I DO over stuff that touts itself to be a decent release and is censored. If I'm paying for this stuff and its not shit like Kodomo No Jikan or Boys Empire it better be worth my time and money by being uncut and uncensored.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Speaking of PM, if anyone out there in particular ever wants to talk to me via pm for a spirited debate that's perhaps best kept to the pm folder instead of general then feel free to do so, I'll try to be more cautious of doing the same in the future. My pm folder's always open. :)

As for Brian Real, I got nothing but respect, admiration and love for the guy. He's the one that originally gave me the whole idea for the "dual-soundtrack in English" options for DVDs when I e-mailed him. My petition never got many signatures but, the idea came to pass years later with the re-dub of the Ocean eps and I believe it was the first time Funimation (or anyone) ever did something like that for the English version.

I joked once that Fukunaga should send Psaros a check for a million dollars, but Brian Real? His advice has definitely earned a LOT more than a million. Brian Real really did have a LOT of business savy and Gen seems to have used all his ideas so I think he should give him a little something something to say thanks. I kinda wonder what Gen thinks of Brian Real these days but, unfortunately, the likelihood he'll agree to another fan interview probably isn't too great.

Who knows? Maybe Derek Padula will interview him someday. He has interviewed like 4-5 Funi peeps so he'd be the likeliest pick if anyone ever does wind up getting an interview with him.

So, Google search engines, let that be known that Brian Real's an alright dude and he deserves more respect and acknowledgement than he's gotten. I wish him only the best. :)

SJR
Banned

Post by SJR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:10 am

GS7X7 wrote:
Jesus Christ SJR.

Look... I left Dbzoa ten. Years. Ago. That's ten years. Okay, nine if you want to be pedantic, but still.... I know we feuded -long ago- but...... why do you keep following me online just to pick fights with me? Can't you just like.... move on? Find something better to do? I don't track you down to, well wherever you post and do stuff on the internet these days, because frankly I don't care, I mean, what would the point of doing that even be?

I promise you, -nobody- even remembers or cares about our fight from long ago except you.

There's kids in High School I don't like I feuded with but I don't freaking follow them to the ends of the internet to harass them- mainly because I've pretty much forgotten about them and I don't care about them anymore. Ie, I have -better things to do.- You'd be a lot happier like, watching a fun movie or tv show or reading a book rather than trying to resuscitate some old internet feud with somebody that's forgotten you.

Do you have anything better to do than lurk here and occassionaly post something snide just to harass me?

Jesus, just move on already, God.
Wow you never change do you?

Can't a guy be allowed to change his opinion over the course of a decade? I've grown to enjoy Dragon Ball now and can appreciate it much better. I stopped caring about DBZOA and it's stinking pit of underage retards a long time ago. That being said, I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would talk about a DBZ petition in 2015 as though it matters or is something anyone would want to do. Or that someone like you would talk about Funimation as though it's some nasty corporate entity that must be monitored and prodded into doing what the fans want. Last time I checked Funi is mostly the entire anime industry these days, and the work they do is stellar.

I think this is just a case of you wanting to re-fight battles from the old days and prove to everyone that you're the big important anime crusader you pretended to be back then rather than just some guy who wrote crazy articles accusing random Australians of being Gen Fukunaga that other sites mercilessly mocked.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:14 am

Can you two stop dancing around what's obvious here? Get it over with and kiss already.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Ah, the Gen thing was brought up! Just wanted to post this, I remember you telling me you really liked this editorial back in 06' before I left Dbzoa- I did make a point of getting your feedback, I posted it on Dbzoa shortly before I left. It's a lengthy editorial but I strongly recommend it to anyone who remembers that! It was my own personal redemption so I was happy to write it. :)

http://www.animecauldron.com/dbzuncenso ... butal.html

As for "hating" Funimation, I've kinda moved on from that. "Hate" is a strong word. Hatred is like an acid that eats away at you from the inside. I still strongly disagree with their old decisions and the old them, but Funimation hasn't really done much bad in over a decade. Most of their mistakes are all in the past at this point although their history as a company with DBZ is of a great deal of interest to me.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=29041

Just to clarify to any mods, didn't say that to criticize SJR, just to respond to some points he made publicly. All that said SJR, I've never had the chance to pm you before here (like tvfan said, you keep your pm folder closed shut- I'd love to just pm you instead of talking over stuff in general like this if possible, but I've never been able to) but my pm folder is always open if you ever want to try and debate me or discuss old issues there or hell, even make peace! Who knows, maybe we can actually be friends someday or at least bury the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8

Nobody really wants to read about us feuding here, so.... in the future please just pm me this kinda stuff, alright? :)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Don't tell someone to PM you about it while you just wrote an entire post about it.

Agreed on the "just make out" part. In fact, make out or GET out. Enough of this nonsense. I don't want to read it, no-one else wants to read it, and it's obnoxious as all fuck. Stop. Take your 90's fandom interpersonal bullshit elsewhere. We don't want it.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SJR
Banned

Post by SJR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:31 pm

You certainly have gotten salty in your old age EX.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 am

Well, now I know why the cast I prefer was done away with by FUNimation and I'll never get more than three movies of "my" DBZ. At least the current work of the in-house is pretty awesome, though, and it's led to a lot of great stuff from FUNimation. I just wish DBZ wasn't their learning grounds. Haha!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:00 am

Kendamu wrote:Well, now I know why the cast I prefer was done away with by FUNimation and I'll never get more than three movies of "my" DBZ. At least the current work of the in-house is pretty awesome, though, and it's led to a lot of great stuff from FUNimation. I just wish DBZ wasn't their learning grounds. Haha!
Certain elements don't quite match with what we know, and when you tend to hear a story that ascribes everything to one person, it tends to mean they talked to that person or friends who know the person.

Based on everything we know the whole 'build your company by doing it yourself' thing is hokum. Funimation of that time period couldn't have paid for Ocean if they wanted to. Certain elements of the story of the anime are certainly true, others appear to be tales distilled through time.

As an example (unless I'm extremely wrong, which is always possible) Funimation doesn't have a DVD 'pressing plant' and never has (maybe when they were owned by Navarre? although I'm pretty sure Navarre has never had one either.)

It also refers to him convincing Funimation to do uncut VHS tapes. Certainly there were 'less cut' VHS tapes, but I don't recall Funimation doing what most fans would consider uncut since the dub by and large had major tweaks to it (so proper uncut tapes would have to be VHS subtitled.)

Much of this was a long time ago so it's quite possible I'm misremembering things, but a good chunk of that article, at least as it relates to Funimation, sounds more like someone got told about 'the good old days' and repeated the information.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

RedHotFlip

Post by RedHotFlip » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:03 am

Man every thread I read you are telling people to leave or something... While I agree with this one...it gets old

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:06 am

RedHotFlip wrote:Man every thread I read you are telling people to leave or something... While I agree with this one...it gets old
SJR wrote:You certainly have gotten salty in your old age EX.
If you'd like to discuss moderation and administrative techniques, by all means bring it to the appropriate forum sub-section.

Probably wasn't the best way to deliver the message; fair enough. I don't know why I let it get to me. That being said, the fact remains: this interpersonal drama nonsense isn't something any of us want to read, so get it out of here. This part of the conversation is over.