What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The aliens on Planet Plant look like anything else you would see from Toriyama or Toei. I see no issues of them being cute.
Not at all. I mean, in Super, yeah. But DBZ mostly had humanoid-looking aliens. Look at the Namekians, look at the Other World warriors, look at Frieza's men and Frieza himself, look at the creatures from Yardrat, look at those insectoid aliens Vegeta and Nappa crushed, look at those psychic beings from the first Bardock special, and so on. This trend continued in GT (e.g. Ledgic).

Now we have aliens that look like they belong to a Nintendo franchise. In Minus, they made sure to dehumanize the aliens Bardock viciously slaughtered because he's ~pure-hearted~ and ~cares for his son~.

It's another example of how castrated the series is now.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Dr. Slump had cute looking aliens and other characters, which where created by Toriyama. GT had characters that where cute and hardly threatening looking. No one seem to bitch about that. Even Fat Buu hardly looks like a threatening and scary villain. I even remember the kids in my 5th grade class where let down on how Fat Buu look since everyone was expecting Majin Buu to look much evil looking. Personality, I don't mind characters that are cute looking in the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Dr. Slump had cute looking aliens and other characters, which where created by Toriyama. GT had characters that where cute and hardly threatening looking. No one seem to bitch about that. Even Fat Buu hardly looks like a threatening and scary villain. I even remember the kids in my 5th grade class where let down on how Fat Buu look since everyone was expecting Majin Buu to look much evil looking. Personality, I don't mind characters that are cute looking in the series.
Fat Buu was met with a lot of criticism. That saga was saved when he split.

Dr. Slump is Dr. Slump.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind cute characters. Not everything needs to look "badass." But when you make a story based on a character that was only previously featured in a special that happens to be exceptionally bleak and grim, I don't expect him to be pitted in a planet with saturday morning cartoons. It's really off-putting. Never mind the fact that the level of violence is very tame. It's no different from throwing Frieza into a hell filled with angels and fairies, only there, it's actually meant to be a joke.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 pm

If we want to talk about cute characters, I did forget to mention Fat Janemba

How adorable he looks :D !
She/Her

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:04 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If we want to talk about cute characters, I did forget to mention Fat Janemba

How adorable he looks :D !
...dasfsd

T-that's different!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:47 am

Random fb comments be like: " The Original Dragonball series with Kid Goku was just as bad as kiddy shit. Not a single decent fight XD
I know riding on nimbus and playing like using shenron as a slide...i just liked that evolution to less cutttte"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 am

fadeddreams5 wrote: look at the creatures from Yardrat,
These cute creatures?
fadeddreams5 wrote: That saga was saved when he split.
I thought it was ruined when he split.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:34 am

Not a phrase or opinion or maybe even a thing but I hate the bias that most voice comparisons show. For example Teddykgaming's Goku comparison:

Kirby Morrow: 10
Steve Blum, Peter Kelamis: 12
Ian Corlett, Jeremiah Yurk: 11
Jeffrey Watson: 8
Sean Schemmel: 22

Why give Sean more than HALF of most of them?
And then there's TheGenerationWest's though its not as uneven as the above but still not as even as Id like:

Jeremiah Yurk: 12
Jeffrey Watson: 16
Peter Kelamis: 20
Kirby Morrow: 24
Ian Corlett, Steve Blum: 27
Sean Schemmel: 29

Ill let this guy speak for me since he said it better, see the last sentence:

Bait4State 3 weeks ago
Obviously Kelamis is the best, but this video didn't give him enough screen time. This video gave Schemmel more time than any other actor...biased vid?
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:31 pm

Ree wrote:Not a phrase or opinion or maybe even a thing but I hate the bias that most voice comparisons show. For example Teddykgaming's Goku comparison:

Kirby Morrow: 10
Steve Blum, Peter Kelamis: 12
Ian Corlett, Jeremiah Yurk: 11
Jeffrey Watson: 8
Sean Schemmel: 22

Why give Sean more than HALF of most of them?
And then there's TheGenerationWest's though its not as uneven as the above but still not as even as Id like:

Jeremiah Yurk: 12
Jeffrey Watson: 16
Peter Kelamis: 20
Kirby Morrow: 24
Ian Corlett, Steve Blum: 27
Sean Schemmel: 29

Ill let this guy speak for me since he said it better, see the last sentence:

Bait4State 3 weeks ago
Obviously Kelamis is the best, but this video didn't give him enough screen time. This video gave Schemmel more time than any other actor...biased vid?
TeddyKGaming's comparisons are pretty terrible: especially that one, Kid Goku, and Ash Ketchum, IMO.

TheGenerationWest's are far better, though you point out flaws with his, too.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:
These cute creatures?
Oh...wtf. lol. Those things don't even have long enough arms to touch their foreheads and do instant transmission...

I meant these guys:
And this guy:
I thought it was ruined when he split.
You thought wrong!

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the saga that much until the Kid Buu arc...>_>;

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:06 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Oh...wtf. lol. Those things don't even have long enough arms to touch their foreheads and do instant transmission...
They don't?
fadeddreams5 wrote:Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the saga that much until the Kid Buu arc...>_>;
Which, despite how entertaining it is, is the worst part out of it all in terms of writing.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Singh is King
His Ash one at least gave the actors equal amounts of time but Kid Goku is terrible.
only 9 seconds for Brianna Sidall and Ceyli Delgado? 4 seconds for Peter Kelamis?

OH and he doesnt even use people's best stuff most of the time!
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Oh...wtf. lol. Those things don't even have long enough arms to touch their foreheads and do instant transmission...
They don't?
fadeddreams5 wrote:Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the saga that much until the Kid Buu arc...>_>;
Which, despite how entertaining it is, is the worst part out of it all in terms of writing.
That thing really can't touch its own forehead. lol.

And yeah, I agree.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Worse than the numerous transformations and power ups and goofy fights that lack drama that dominate the Super Buu portion of the Buu arc?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Ree wrote:Singh is King
His Ash one at least gave the actors equal amounts of time but Kid Goku is terrible.
only 9 seconds for Brianna Sidall and Ceyli Delgado? 4 seconds for Peter Kelamis?
Problem with the Ash one is it took Veronica's (and Rica's) earliest work against Sarah's latest work at the time, which was really unfair.
I agree on Kid Goku, though.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

ABED wrote:
Worse than the numerous transformations and power ups and goofy fights that lack drama that dominate the Super Buu portion of the Buu arc?
Did you mean to quote Doctor?

The Super Buu portion is just wacky. The Kid Buu arc, while fun, makes no sense. Kid Buu didn't need to be a threat; Goku and Vegeta made him into one.....

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Buuhan should have been the final form of Buu. I would have Super Buu return back to Grey Buu and just have Goku & Vegeta finish him off.
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:06 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Did you mean to quote Doctor?

The Super Buu portion is just wacky. The Kid Buu arc, while fun, makes no sense. Kid Buu didn't need to be a threat; Goku and Vegeta made him into one.....
That doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. The same thing could be said of Cell. We've seen numerous times that Saiyans prefer a fight above all else. That makes way more sense to me than yet another transformation that doesn't really make a lick of sense or a cheap power up or humor that constantly undercuts the stakes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:02 pm

ABED wrote:That doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. The same thing could be said of Cell. We've seen numerous times that Saiyans prefer a fight above all else. That makes way more sense to me than yet another transformation that doesn't really make a lick of sense or a cheap power up or humor that constantly undercuts the stakes.
The only time Cell could have been killed was against Vegeta, but he manipulated the saiyan to allow him to transform. The other time he could have been killed was by Gohan, who let his emotions get the better of him, but still damaged Cell enough to assume he wasn't a threat anymore.

Against Kid Buu, Goku refused to fuse or fight alongside Vegeta. They could have wished Gotenks and Gohan into the battlefield, but opted not to. The entire arc was just padded for the sake of creating a sense of drama and completely went against the point of the entire saga, which was to let the new generation take over. That said, it's still my favorite arc in the Buu saga by far.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:49 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
ABED wrote:That doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. The same thing could be said of Cell. We've seen numerous times that Saiyans prefer a fight above all else. That makes way more sense to me than yet another transformation that doesn't really make a lick of sense or a cheap power up or humor that constantly undercuts the stakes.
The only time Cell could have been killed was against Vegeta, but he manipulated the saiyan to allow him to transform. The other time he could have been killed was by Gohan, who let his emotions get the better of him, but still damaged Cell enough to assume he wasn't a threat anymore.

Against Kid Buu, Goku refused to fuse or fight alongside Vegeta. They could have wished Gotenks and Gohan into the battlefield, but opted not to. The entire arc was just padded for the sake of creating a sense of drama and completely went against the point of the entire saga, which was to let the new generation take over. That said, it's still my favorite arc in the Buu saga by far.
That only time is the same exact thing, they let their emotions get the better of them. They wanted a fight, not what was best or most expedient, in both situations. The arc wouldn't have been better for letting Gotenks or Gohan save the day, they aren't as interesting as Goku and Vegeta in the main roles, plus Vegeta's "you are number one" speech is way better than anything that could've occurred had Gohan been the hero.