What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by voltlunok » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Yeah, it's sad what Toriyama-sensei has done to Yamcha. I'm honestly shocked Yamcha hasn't thought of killing himself. So much bad luck.
Mild rant ahead, You've been warned!

In all honesty, why would he do that? Sure he isn't the strongest to ever strong but he is still a well trained and accomplished martial artist. He placed best in the best 8 in the WMAT 3 years in a row, had a brief moment as a professional baseball player and who knows what else. He seems well off when we see him in the buu arc and overall I'm sure he is happy with his life. So why off himself? I don't think he is a bad character just cause he can't blow up a planet...I never got how a win rate seems to matter towards a characters enjoyability. I like Yamcha because he stands for good things come to those who work hard and giving everything your best. Remember in the 21st Budokai, He was still completely self taught by that point, yes he lost to Roshi but Roshi saw a huge amount of talent in Yamcha and took the wolf under his wing. Plus he made it to the best 8 of the WMAT, on his first try and being completely self taught. That's kind of a big deal, least to me anyways.

Coming in from off topic and tying it into the rant a little I guess. I get pretty enraged when people shit on Yamcha for no real reason other then everyone else does. He has his accomplishments but those are all ignored because "Well he got blown up by a saibaman, so he sucks!" Even though he still overpowered and beat the saibaman. But think on this, Tien AND Krillin would have probably died from the saibaman's suicide attack as well. Plus...I hate doing this but Krillin died more times then Yamcha, yet he gets all sorts of love.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:37 am

I think you're reading far too into it. I don't mean to speak for them, but I'm certain that's not the message TFS was trying to send and I'm certain no one legitimately took it that way.
Come on man. It just wasn't funny. I mean, there's dark humor and all, but that was just not right. Not funny.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:42 am

Attitudefan wrote:
I think you're reading far too into it. I don't mean to speak for them, but I'm certain that's not the message TFS was trying to send and I'm certain no one legitimately took it that way.
Come on man. It just wasn't funny. I mean, there's dark humor and all, but that was just not right. Not funny.
That's all subjective. When I first saw it, I chuckled a bit.

It was one of those "Oh Noooooooo!" laughs, but still
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 am

Attitudefan wrote: It wasn't funny at all.

Basically, they're telling people who ran into a bit of bad luck to kill themselves and that they're worthless. It's an awful message to put across. It makes Ymacha much more of an identifiable character because he doesn't always win. He makes mistakes. But he's still a badass. I love the little rub he got fighting Hero and smacking him right in the face with his Sokidan.
There's hardly anything that remains funny once you take it seriously.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:43 am

I'm usually pretty open to anything. Hell, I dislike Political Correctness in art/media as much as the next guy, but that's just one joke I didn't think was right. There's a boundary in everything, and that was just a bit too much.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:52 am

Attitudefan wrote:I'm usually pretty open to anything. Hell, I dislike Political Correctness in art/media as much as the next guy, but that's just one joke I didn't think was right. There's a boundary in everything, and that was just a bit too much.
Boundaries are completely subjective. For someone, a joke about religion, for example, might be pretty funny (even if that someone is religious), and for another a grave insult. There are even people who have so many boundaries that they get insulted by everything.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:57 am

rereboy wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:I'm usually pretty open to anything. Hell, I dislike Political Correctness in art/media as much as the next guy, but that's just one joke I didn't think was right. There's a boundary in everything, and that was just a bit too much.
Boundaries are completely subjective. For someone, a joke about religion, for example, might be pretty funny (even if that someone is religious), and for another a grave insult. There are even people who have so many boundaries that they get insulted by everything.
Fair enough. You're right actually. For me personally I got uptight over that joke. So, yeah, I guess on-topic would make me "irate" over the opinion of that joke! :P

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:23 am

To me, the hanging itself wasn't funny, but Goku's response had me on the floor (mainly because MasakoX strikes a perfect balance between naive idiot and cynical smartass in his portrayal of Goku, but that's beside the point).
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:29 am

voltlunok wrote: he can't blow up a planet.
There is one more thing though. Yamcha most likely can blow a planet. As he was compared by Android 20 with Goku out of all people. Yes, Android 20 mistook him for Goku, and that means that in Android Saga he was at the very least as strong as Saiyan Saga Goku, but most likely stronger, because I doubt that Android 20 wouldn't have thought about Goku becoming stronger, if he didn't, then what was the point in creating Androids to begin with? And as we know Saiyan Saga Vegeta was fully sure that he was able to destroy a planet, that means that Yamcha can do it as well.

With everything else I completely agree. Yamcha gets a lot of hate for no reasons. Just because he isn't a saiyan, doesn't mean that he should be hated. What he accomplished in DB is alone worth being respected, let alone what he achieved in DBZ. By the beginning of Androids Saga he basically surpassed all (!) saiyans prior to Namek arc.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:19 pm

I gotta agree with most of the people here about Yamcha. He's not my favorite, but I definitely like him and he really got the short end of the stick. I'm really getting sick of the fanbase's hate for him and Krillin (mainly on Youtube). TFS definitely made matters a lot worse, so theres that too.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I gotta agree with most of the people here about Yamcha. He's not my favorite, but I definitely like him and he really got the short end of the stick. I'm really getting sick of the fanbase's hate for him and Krillin (mainly on Youtube). TFS definitely made matters a lot worse, so theres that too.
And everyone seems to forget that he could handle 10x Earth's gravity on Kaio's planet. So he's freaking strong as hell.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:34 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I gotta agree with most of the people here about Yamcha. He's not my favorite, but I definitely like him and he really got the short end of the stick. I'm really getting sick of the fanbase's hate for him and Krillin (mainly on Youtube). TFS definitely made matters a lot worse, so theres that too.
And everyone seems to forget that he could handle 10x Earth's gravity on Kaio's planet. So he's freaking strong as hell.
I bet he could mop the floor with most of the Z-Senshi in an equal BP fight especially Gohan.
voltlunok wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Yeah, it's sad what Toriyama-sensei has done to Yamcha. I'm honestly shocked Yamcha hasn't thought of killing himself. So much bad luck.
Mild rant ahead, You've been warned!

In all honesty, why would he do that? Sure he isn't the strongest to ever strong but he is still a well trained and accomplished martial artist. He placed best in the best 8 in the WMAT 3 years in a row, had a brief moment as a professional baseball player and who knows what else. He seems well off when we see him in the buu arc and overall I'm sure he is happy with his life. So why off himself? I don't think he is a bad character just cause he can't blow up a planet...I never got how a win rate seems to matter towards a characters enjoyability. I like Yamcha because he stands for good things come to those who work hard and giving everything your best. Remember in the 21st Budokai, He was still completely self taught by that point, yes he lost to Roshi but Roshi saw a huge amount of talent in Yamcha and took the wolf under his wing. Plus he made it to the best 8 of the WMAT, on his first try and being completely self taught. That's kind of a big deal, least to me anyways.

Coming in from off topic and tying it into the rant a little I guess. I get pretty enraged when people shit on Yamcha for no real reason other then everyone else does. He has his accomplishments but those are all ignored because "Well he got blown up by a saibaman, so he sucks!" Even though he still overpowered and beat the saibaman. But think on this, Tenshinhan AND Krillin would have probably died from the saibaman's suicide attack as well. Plus...I hate doing this but Krillin died more times then Yamcha, yet he gets all sorts of love.
I dunno, if I knew my own creator didn't want me happy in life then I wouldn't know if I'd wanna live.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Exactly. And you just gotta look at who he took on in the series. Jackie Chun (Roshi) who was the strongest in the series at that point, Tien was a quasi-villain in the 22nd WT and was obviously gonna be the final battle, and the freaking Guardian of Earth aka Kami aka God! The Saibamen kamikazed himself after Yamcha beat him so that's not a loss for Yamcha in my book.

He really gets treated unfairly.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:56 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: I bet he could mop the floor with most of the Z-Senshi in an equal BP fight especially Gohan.
Gohan is a saiyan. Not only that, he is a half saiyan, and that is what gives him an immense strength. If Yamcha was a saiyan like Goku and Vegeta, he would have been the strongest, considering how many times he was beaten, from all the Zenkais he would have gotten from it.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: I bet he could mop the floor with most of the Z-Senshi in an equal BP fight especially Gohan.
Gohan is a saiyan. Not only that, he is a half saiyan, and that is what gives him an immense strength. If Yamcha was a saiyan like Goku and Vegeta, he would have been the strongest, considering how many times he was beaten, from all the Zenkais he would have gotten from it.
His immense strength isn't relevant since his scenario had Yamcha and Gohan at equal strengths.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:02 pm

-People who stur up false hype when they create speculations off of nothing, on a weekly basis.

-People who bash GT for the sake of it with shallow reasons. (Because ______ didnt get any screen time; Because Goku is a kid again...)

-People who speak for Toriyma just to try and justify their own preferences. Or people who claim he did things he actually didn't.
"Episode of Bardock is totally canon. Toriyama was deeply involved in everything and it not only fits the story has it explains in a ironic and destiny twisted way he legend of the Super Saiyan."

-People who confuse the characters of the actual story with the TFS caricatures; or who base their view of the characters off of the memes.

-People who STILL think Vegeta was the victim of Freeza; and that killing him would "avenge" the Saiyans, who weren't all knightly people.

-People who hate SSJG/SSJ4 but want a Gold SSJ4 Goku instead?
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:04 pm

rereboy wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
His immense strength isn't relevant since his scenario had Yamcha and Gohan at equal strengths.
What do you mean by scenario? I didn't get it. Gohan is the strongest saiyan (besides Goku and Vegeta who surpassed him in the latest movies), there is no point to compare him with anyone else, let alone with a human.

Oh right, now I got it. Equal power levels, then Yamcha may win, unless Gohan receives a rage boost.
Marco Polo wrote:

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:20 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:-People who speak for Toriyma just to try and justify their own preferences. Or people who claim he did things he actually didn't.
"Episode of Bardock is totally canon. Toriyama was deeply involved in everything and it not only fits the story has it explains in a ironic and destiny twisted way he legend of the Super Saiyan."
That surely applies for the opposite people, like: "Episode of Bardock is totally non-canon. Toriyama was not involved and its story does not fit at all".

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Forum-goer 1: "Man, the new DBZ movie is garbage!"

Forum-goer 2: "Have you even seen it?"

Forum-goer 1: "Well, no..."

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Zenkai wrote:Forum-goer 1: "Man, the new DBZ movie is garbage!"

Forum-goer 2: "Have you even seen it?"

Forum-goer 1: "Well, no..."
Actually, it's more like:

"man, I hate all these inconsistencies, lame justifications and choices... Freeza becoming this strong in 4 months and knowing about it before he got killed... A random soldier matching Piccolo... The kids, Yamcha, #18 and Buu not being there when even Roshi is... Goku and Vegeta not learning anything at the end..."

"well, did you see the movie?"

"No, but I know that these plot points are in the movie"

"... That's true."
Last edited by rereboy on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.