What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:46 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Avery wrote:don't even get me started on the "weeaboo" thing.
If you like anything Japanese/prefer something in it's original language, you're a "weeaboo"... :roll:
And "if you prefer the English dub, you're a westaboo!"
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Avery wrote:don't even get me started on the "weeaboo" thing.
If you like anything Japanese/prefer something in it's original language, you're a "weeaboo"... :roll:
And "if you prefer the English dub, you're a westaboo!"
What? That doesn't make any sense. The word "westaboo" is almost never used.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:
What? That doesn't make any sense. The word "westaboo" is almost never used.
How bout this: "if you prefer the dub you're not a real fan!" Or anything along those lines

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:01 am

Krillin hate is probably the most annoying for me. We get it, he ain't the best. He tries his damndest though, wasn't that the whole thing that Goku said that made him so much better than Vegeta?

Other than that...people acting like Gohan's missed potential was a writing problem, instead of an in-universe plot point. Some stuff just doesn't happen the way we want it to. If and when we see a Xenoverse sequel, I want to see alternate timelines like this. Where Gohan actually did become the strongest forever, or Raditz became the Earth's warrior instead of Goku, or Trunks ended up being Yamcha's son, or something.

Oh, and Goten hate too. He's underutilized with Kid Trunks, I admit...but I think if we give it some time, let them have character development beyond "GET IT!? THEY'RE KIDS!" they'll eventually succeed the position that Gohan missed, and become the very best.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 pm

People bashing Big Green, Final Bout and Harmony Gold even though Funimation really isnt any better.
People bashing Broly too.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Ree wrote:People bashing Big Green, Final Bout and Harmony Gold even though Funimation really isnt any better.
What about people who bash all of the dubs?

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Just dub bashing period can annoy me.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:58 am

Shaddy wrote:Krillin hate is probably the most annoying for me. We get it, he ain't the best. He tries his damndest though, wasn't that the whole thing that Goku said that made him so much better than Vegeta?

Other than that...people acting like Gohan's missed potential was a writing problem, instead of an in-universe plot point. Some stuff just doesn't happen the way we want it to. If and when we see a Xenoverse sequel, I want to see alternate timelines like this. Where Gohan actually did become the strongest forever, or Raditz became the Earth's warrior instead of Goku, or Trunks ended up being Yamcha's son, or something.

Oh, and Goten hate too. He's underutilized with Kid Trunks, I admit...but I think if we give it some time, let them have character development beyond "GET IT!? THEY'RE KIDS!" they'll eventually succeed the position that Gohan missed, and become the very best.
I agree about the Krillin part. I think TFS is to blame for that, they made that popular with their owned count and now every "filthy casual" thinks he's funny when he says some "krillin is useless and always gets owned" joke.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:20 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Personally, my hate of the characters stems from the fact that I personally interpret him as almost everything wrong with the franchise because most non-fans usually think of him when Dragon Ball comes to their mind. "Big and tough brutes with no brain, who punch each other and scream a lot for 50 minutes, with undeserved and easy to get power-ups, a shallow backstory and lack depth and complexity". That's what most critics usually say about DB and Broly is the personification of all of those aspects put together.
Doctor. hit the nail on the head. Broly is every shallow trope and stereotype about Dragon Ball rolled into one.
I'm going to defend Brolli for a minute because -- while I understand he's become a rallying point for some of the more problematic aspects of this fandom -- looking at him with a level of knowledge about what the series is actually like, he's a fun villain for how much he breaks from the Toriyama mold, and even the mold in previous movies. No gimmicks, no frills, no charming personality, no quirky design -- just an out-and-out unreasonable monster, scarier for the fact he looks human (or Saiyan as the case may be). Movie 8 is a radical step up in terms of its drama, and Brolli is a genuinely frightening villain in it. It's no wonder he caught on with fans, because his first appearance is quite memorable. But part of how memorable he is stems from his actually being an outlier in the series, rather than part of its trends.

But yes -- without that knowledge, certain types of fans have gravitated toward him, and everything associated with that "hardcore" strength-is-cool mindset is irritating.

So to that extent, the only thing that really gets me? When people take the series too seriously.

EDIT -- Oh, shit, also blind dismissal of GT, or the assumption that one has to acknowledge it's not good to ... feel like they have credibility or something? I see it less on here, but it's an odd phenomenon I've noticed in outside articles that mention Dragon Ball, etc. It's as if it can't receive a mention with a "(which is not good)" attached, which strikes me as really bizarre. It's a series; it exists; it doesn't really need commentary unless that's the focus of the piece.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:26 am

I agree about the Krillin part. I think TFS is to blame for that, they made that popular with their owned count and now every "filthy casual" thinks he's funny when he says some "krillin is useless and always gets owned" joke.

Yamcha got it the worst :(

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 am

Ree wrote:I agree about the Krillin part. I think TFS is to blame for that, they made that popular with their owned count and now every "filthy casual" thinks he's funny when he says some "krillin is useless and always gets owned" joke.

Yamcha got it the worst :(
Not to be rude or anything but he kinda deserves it. His only win was from original Dragon Ball against Invisible Man with the help of Bulma's boobs.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 am

So because he doesn't win much he deserves to be bashed?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 am

Ree wrote:So because he doesn't win much he deserves to be bashed?
Everything he does is a failure.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:42 am

He is constantly treated as a means to deliver info to the reader or, more commonly, as a power measuring stick to hype the adversary, and he is almost never treated seriously as a character. You expect a parody of the series to not pick on this and build humor upon it...?

On the other hand, Krillin also suffers from some of this (even though not as bad) and he is used for humorous moments in the series. Therefore, you also expect a parody of the series to not pick on this and build humor upon it, even though not to such a big degree as Yamcha...?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
He marries Lazuli. He has won Dragon Ball.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 am

Cetra wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
He marries Lazuli. He has won Dragon Ball.

Oh yeah ;) i was talking about yamcha btw, i wouldnt say that fo' ma boy Kuririn-san.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:Oh yeah ;) i was talking about yamcha btw, i wouldnt say that fo' ma boy Kuririn-san.

Oh, was confused because Kuririn was mentioned all the time.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 am

Cipher wrote:
EDIT -- Oh, shit, also blind dismissal of GT, or the assumption that one has to acknowledge it's not good to ... feel like they have credibility or something? I see it less on here, but it's an odd phenomenon I've noticed in outside articles that mention Dragon Ball, etc. It's as if it can't receive a mention with a "(which is not good)" attached, which strikes me as really bizarre. It's a series; it exists; it doesn't really need commentary unless that's the focus of the piece.
That is also what I find really odd. Some people are making it look as if they bash GT, it makes them better or cooler. Never understood it. If you don't like it, it is fine, but why always mention it, especially in the places, where it doesn't belong? You usually don't want to speak about what you don't like/hate, rather than otherwise, right?
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:39 am

IMHO some people think that bashing "impure" parts of any given franchise makes them look cool, mature and advanced. Star Wars fandom made an art of complaining about New Trilogy to the point that it takes bigger part of any given forum.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am

Eire wrote:IMHO some people think that bashing "impure" parts of any given franchise makes them look cool, mature and advanced. Star Wars fandom made an art of complaining about New Trilogy to the point that it takes bigger part of any given forum.
Don't forget the Prequel bashing. Thousands of "true" Star Wars fans clamor for those to get erased from existence or at the very least remade. Tell them New Hope needs to get remade and they'll bite your goddamn head off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):