What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'm not really saying Tenshinhan is a better character than Kuririn, the former is generic whose potential was wasted literally the arc after his introduction whilst the latter is my fifth favourite character in the series. I'm just saying that realistic or not, believable or not, hypocritical or not, all of the complaints that are made about Kuririn being a pussy are justified because, compared to almost EVERYONE else in the cast, he is. This is not to say that, if any of us were in his position, we wouldn't do the exact same thing (or even worse), obviously, but that's not really the point. Being brave or not depends on the perspective, and while he's brave compared to any normal person, inside of his little group, he's not and he knows it.
I was just adding to your point and making a comparison. I still think it's not fair to call Krillin a pussy. For example Krillin I don't think ever had a moment where he was too scared to do something he could. Like for example Gohan pussed out when he had the chance to take out Nappa. He ran away scared like a pussy. Krillin is scared but I don't think ever has a time where he could have done something beneficial, but ran away or went into hiding because he was scared. Well I mean Z Krillin mainly. Dragon Ball Krillin I think had at least a few moments where he coulda done something or was really scared of something he probably could handle.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Piccolo sort of... is a better father than Goku. Not a great one, but he has been a father figure to Gohan whenever Goku hasn't been there (which has been quite a lot). Goku threw him into a fight against Cell and fed the villain a ****ing senzu bean, not knowing the true nature of his own son. Piccolo was the voice of reason here. Piccolo is the boy's guardian angel, always watching over his shoulders to make sure he's not in danger. Piccolo babysits Gohan's daughter while Goku is in some alien planet training. Piccolo remains close by while Goku decides to leave his family to go train some stranger.

I can almost bet Toriyama himself would admit Piccolo is the better father figure than Goku if he was asked. This isn't to say Goku's a bad father as many seem to claim, but he never had much of a chance to be a good one either due to his many deaths and absences.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Piccolo sort of... is a better father than Goku. Not a great one, but he has been a father figure to Gohan whenever Goku hasn't been there (which has been quite a lot). Goku threw him into a fight against Cell and fed the villain a ****ing senzu bean, not knowing the true nature of his own son. Piccolo was the voice of reason here. Piccolo is the boy's guardian angel, always watching over his shoulders to make sure he's not in danger. Piccolo babysits Gohan's daughter while Goku is in some alien planet training. Piccolo remains close by while Goku decides to leave his family to go train some stranger.

I can almost bet Toriyama himself would admit Piccolo is the better father figure than Goku if he was asked. This isn't to say Goku's a bad father as many seem to claim, but he never had much of a chance to be a good one either due to his many deaths and absences.
This is kind of how I feel about the whole Piccolo Vs. Goku as Gohan's father figure debate.

Had it not been for the 'send my only son against Cell' plan of Goku's, he'd probably not get seen in such a negative light. It's once again a case of people being selective about what they remember regarding Goku and Gohan's relationship though.
Goku did after all sacrifice himself against Raditz in a direct attempt to save his son. That's not something an uncaring father would do.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 6:22 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Piccolo sort of... is a better father than Goku. Not a great one, but he has been a father figure to Gohan whenever Goku hasn't been there (which has been quite a lot). Goku threw him into a fight against Cell and fed the villain a ****ing senzu bean, not knowing the true nature of his own son. Piccolo was the voice of reason here. Piccolo is the boy's guardian angel, always watching over his shoulders to make sure he's not in danger. Piccolo babysits Gohan's daughter while Goku is in some alien planet training. Piccolo remains close by while Goku decides to leave his family to go train some stranger.

So first four years of Gohan's live never happened? On top of the five years before EOZ? Or the three years before the androids arrived? Besides, the only time Piccolo spent with Gohan that we actually know of was when he trained with Gohan before the Saiyan arrived, and even then, Piccolo spent most the time being distant towards Gohan. I'll admit it was dumb that Goku didn't tell Gohan about his plan to beat Cell, but had he not have Gohan face Cell at all, the world would have been destroyed.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Akyon wrote:

This is kind of how I feel about the whole Piccolo Vs. Goku as Gohan's father figure debate.

Had it not been for the 'send my only son against Cell' plan of Goku's, he'd probably not get seen in such a negative light. It's once again a case of people being selective about what they remember regarding Goku and Gohan's relationship though.
Goku did after all sacrifice himself against Raditz in a direct attempt to save his son. That's not something an uncaring father would do.
Piccolo did that too!

But I don't think anybody can argue that Goku doesn't care for Gohan. Of course he does. That doesn't really make him a great father though. I mean, didn't he decide against being brought back to Earth after the Namek thing? And he decided to stay dead for 7 years, yet then stays on Earth anyways after he's brought back to life? He completely missed out on Gohan's growth into an adult. And despite the fact that he can clearly communicate with everyone via King Kai, he didn't even know he had a 2nd son...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Akyon wrote:

Piccolo did that too!

But I don't think anybody can argue that Goku doesn't care for Gohan. Of course he does. That doesn't really make him a great father though. I mean, didn't he decide against being brought back to Earth after the Namek thing? And he decided to stay dead for 7 years, yet then stays on Earth anyways after he's brought back to life? He completely missed out on Gohan's growth into an adult. And despite the fact that he can clearly communicate with everyone via King Kai, he didn't even know he had a 2nd son...
Goku has always been against the dead having any influence on the living, that's the entire point of his reason for backing down against Boo.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:People wish he beat a major villain.
Those people will be very happy once they see his fight with the golden trophy.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
"Krillin's weak and a coward! He sucks, his owned count is over 9000 and he dies ALL THE TIME!" Bravery once again, confused for power.
This so bloody much. I despise and will always refute the idea that Krillin is a coward. He's one of the bravest and most dogged characters in the Dragon Ball universe. That bald headed bastard never knows when to quit or backdown. But just because he doesn't score a lot of major victories, he's seen a coward. Fuck that mentality six ways to sunday.
I blame Team Four Star's fanbase for those ridiculous misconceptions about Kulilin. They don't seem to realize that Z Abridged is a parody, and they treat what they see in it a the new canon, for reasons I cannot fathom.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I blame Team Four Star's fanbase for those ridiculous misconceptions about Kulilin. They don't seem to realize that Z Abridged is a parody, and they treat what they see in it a the new canon, for reasons I cannot fathom.
While it's true that a lot of people take those jokes way too far (and kudos to you for blaming the fanbase rather than Team Four Star themselves, since from where I sit I don't think they can really be blamed for how far fans have run with their jokes), I remember Kuririn being the fandom's punching bag for years before TFS would even be a thing.

I think it's some kind of fandom cultural thing or something, because while it used to be Kuririn that got almost all of the 'lolz he's so weak and stupid' jokes, now it's Yamcha that gets the majority of it. I'm curious to see if in another ten years or so if it shifts to someone else randomly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm curious to see if in another ten years or so if it shifts to someone else randomly.
Then it'll be Uub, who still can't protect Earth without some godly intervention from Goku and Vegeta.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: So first four years of Gohan's live never happened? On top of the five years before EOZ? Or the three years before the androids arrived? Besides, the only time Piccolo spent with Gohan that we actually know of was when he trained with Gohan before the Saiyan arrived, and even then, Piccolo spent most the time being distant towards Gohan. I'll admit it was dumb that Goku didn't tell Gohan about his plan to beat Cell, but had he not have Gohan face Cell at all, the world would have been destroyed.
Hey, I'm not saying Piccolo is the greatest father figure in the world, but he sort of is one to Gohan. He's been there when Goku hasn't, and he seems to understand Gohan more. Just so happens there hasn't been much on-screen moments of the two bonding. At least we know it COULD have happened, unlike with Goku, who's always dead or absent. First 4 years of Gohan's life are something he doesn't remember. 5 years before EoZ, he's his own man and a father as well. From what actually has been seen, Piccolo takes care of his kid while Goku is off training. In BoG, everyone is celebrating while Goku is off training. In EoZ, it's heavily implied that Goku has become even more of a training nut, disregarding his friends for years and straight up abandoning his family for the sake of filling his competitive drive.
Metalwario64 wrote: I blame Team Four Star's fanbase for those ridiculous misconceptions about Kulilin. They don't seem to realize that Z Abridged is a parody, and they treat what they see in it a the new canon, for reasons I cannot fathom.
Krillin's been the butt of jokes before TFS was a thing. They just capitalized on that.
Doctor. wrote: Goku has always been against the dead having any influence on the living, that's the entire point of his reason for backing down against Boo.
I thought he just wanted to give the others a chance to win without him? Was there any indication it was specifically because he was dead?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu May 28, 2015 4:55 am

fadeddreams5 wrote: Hey, I'm not saying Piccolo is the greatest father figure in the world, but he sort of is one to Gohan. He's been there when Goku hasn't, and he seems to understand Gohan more. Just so happens there hasn't been much on-screen moments of the two bonding. At least we know it COULD have happened, unlike with Goku, who's always dead or absent. First 4 years of Gohan's life are something he doesn't remember. 5 years before EoZ, he's his own man and a father as well. From what actually has been seen, Piccolo takes care of his kid while Goku is off training. In BoG, everyone is celebrating while Goku is off training. In EoZ, it's heavily implied that Goku has become even more of a training nut, disregarding his friends for years and straight up abandoning his family for the sake of filling his competitive drive.
In the entirety of Gohan's life until Gohan becomes an adult, Goku was only absent due to him being off training one single year (after Namek to learn teleportation).

Every other time, Goku was either with Gohan, dead or incapacitated.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 am

Goku's "absenteeism" started when he gave his life to save his son.

What a shitty father. :roll:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu May 28, 2015 8:38 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I thought he just wanted to give the others a chance to win without him? Was there any indication it was specifically because he was dead?
Yes, he said that he couldn't be coming in to save their ass everytime, so he needed someone to take his place now that he was dead.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 am

Saiga wrote:Goku's "absenteeism" started when he gave his life to save his son.

What a shitty father. :roll:
And when he decided to stay dead for 7 years, and didn't know he had a 2nd son, and stayed training for a year after Namek, and left his family to train a stranger, and is known to rarely see or call his friends when he is alive. >_>;

Goku's role as a father goes in over his head because of his nature and ignorance; he's more of a pal. He cares for his family and friends, but doesn't commit the time to any of them. Sure, he might be there, but it's heavily implied he's only really there when one of them wants to train. If they don't, well, "see you guys! : D"

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:41 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I hate that shit as well. I wouldn't mind it if people said that Piccolo was good mentor for Gohan but to flat out say that he's a better father than Goku is just absurd.
Although, to be fair, if everyone left their five-year-olds out in the wilderness to fend for themselves, there would be a lot fewer assholes in the world after 30 years. Can it still be considered being a good parent if your method of raising children improved life for everyone else, if not necessarily the child?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu May 28, 2015 10:52 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
And when he decided to stay dead for 7 years,
It was already the second time he had died. He felt satisfied with what he had accomplished, felt that Earth was safe and he felt that it was his time. You can call him selfish for not insisting in being revived, but wouldn't he also be selfish in insisting in being revived for the second time purely because he wanted to? It really can't work just one way, imo. He would be selfish either way. And that's basically how he felt in the Buu saga. He only got revived because it was necessary to fight Buu.
and didn't know he had a 2nd son,
Why would he? Most likely Chichi only knew she was pregnant after Goku died or, if she knew before, she didn't tell him.
and stayed training for a year after Namek,
Quite literally the only time he takes some time off to train without being dead or incapacitated.
and left his family to train a stranger,
Nowhere is implied in the manga that he would be leaving them for a very long time without any contact or visits. In fact, the Neko Majin manga implies that such contact was probably frequent. Not to mention that his sons were already adults.
and is known to rarely see or call his friends when he is alive. >_>;
And his friends aren't guilty of the same? Or are you implying that Goku flat out refused meeting them and talking to them when they contacted? Goku is the typical friend in the group that typically won't be the one to initiate social contact, which doesn't mean he's a bad friend, just that the way he works others usually have to initiate it.
Goku's role as a father goes in over his head because of his nature and ignorance; he's more of a pal. He cares for his family and friends, but doesn't commit the time to any of them. Sure, he might be there, but it's heavily implied he's only really there when one of them wants to train. If they don't, well, "see you guys! : D"
How is that different from Vegeta, for example? And when is that aspect focused on any other character showing a great difference? That has more to do with the kind of story Dragon Ball is than anything else.
Last edited by rereboy on Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 am

Goku stayed dead for 7 years so that threats wouldn't come to Earth to attack his friends, wife and son.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu May 28, 2015 11:16 am

Doctor. wrote:Goku stayed dead for 7 years so that threats wouldn't come to Earth to attack his friends, wife and son.
He also had that motivation but his reasoning for staying dead was further expanded on the Buu saga. Goku honestly felt that his time had come and passed and was time for a new "age". He felt that everyone going out of their way to revive him (just because they felt like it) was "against" what he felt had happened, aka the end of his "time". Even in the Buu saga, Goku only accepted being revived when there was an absolute need to do it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Yea I know, I wasn't correcting you, I was only adding on to your point, saying that one reason he chose to stay dead was for his son's safety.