What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Well, I've got a few pet peeves, though most of them don't come up on this site, thankfully. Most of the other things stated by others also annoy me, but I'm focusing on the ones that bug me the most.

-Stuff like "The dub sucks and anyone who says otherwise is mentally handicapped". Yes, that's an actual paraphrase.
-Fans complaining about the dub music when you have to go out of your way to select it nowadays.
-Fans complaining about old dub things that are no longer relevant like "The Next Dimension", "Bardock the scientist", "Whopping Lizards", "Rock the Dragon", or any form of visual censorship.
-Fans ignoring Dragon Ball entirely. It was understandable when it didn't have a US release, but there's really no reason to ignore it now.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 pm

rereboy wrote:Actually, it's more like:

"man, I hate all these inconsistencies, lame justifications and choices... Freeza becoming this strong in 4 months and knowing about it before he got killed... A random soldier matching Piccolo... The kids, Yamcha, #18 and Buu not being there when even Roshi is... Goku and Vegeta not learning anything at the end..."

"well, did you see the movie?"

"No, but I know that these plot points are in the movie"

"... That's true."
Ah, what an awesome answer, rereboy. :clap:

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:51 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I gotta agree with most of the people here about Yamcha. He's not my favorite, but I definitely like him and he really got the short end of the stick. I'm really getting sick of the fanbase's hate for him and Krillin (mainly on Youtube). TFS definitely made matters a lot worse, so theres that too.
And everyone seems to forget that he could handle 10x Earth's gravity on Kaio's planet. So he's freaking strong as hell.
Plus, he attempted to handle himself in 300x gravity. Granted he couldn't withstand it, but if any of us tried to go into a chamber with 300x gravity, we'd instantly be squashed, whereas Yamcha at least managed to somehow STAND for a short period and fall to his knees rather than get totally flattened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesceyrNPds
PSN: Jak1739
I'm always up for Xenoverse battles!
Xenoverse character name: Aros
Race: Earthling

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Think about how much Goku struggled on Kaio's planet, taking him months to get a good feeling of the gravity whereas the earthlings didn't even struggle in the first day. And to say that Yamcha had not got stronger since the Saiyan arc is fallacious because he trained on the planet longer than Goku did with better training records than Goku. Krillin never trained that way, ever.

And Goku had to work his way up to 100x earth gravity over a few weeks. So even in that filler, Yamcha shows better results in a first time situation than Goku. Personally, the Earthlings show better potential from the results of their training than Goku. They got stronger training with Kami than Goku, and responded better to gravity training than Goku. That shows more potential and natural talent, so the earthlings are more naturally gifted than Goku based on the results of the same training methods. Goku even got specialized since he had personal training whereas the Earthlings had to train in a group, yet the Earthlings still got stronger than Goku under similar circumstances with the same master.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Meh...
Kanzenshuu=Broly hate and jokes

Everywhere else=Yamcha hate and jokes

As for Yamcha(*cough*Dumbcha) in general, I can't help but laugh at the guy and make death jokes about him(Yamcha here, Yamcha dead! :lol: ), still, but unlike the fans who mindlessly pick on him, I give credit where its due like his relevance in some stories and his fighting style. I had a shit ton of fun back in them glory days playing as him in the Budokai games.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Think about how much Goku struggled on Kaio's planet, taking him months to get a good feeling of the gravity whereas the earthlings didn't even struggle in the first day. And to say that Yamcha had not got stronger since the Saiyan arc is fallacious because he trained on the planet longer than Goku did with better training records than Goku. Krillin never trained that way, ever.

And Goku had to work his way up to 100x earth gravity over a few weeks. So even in that filler, Yamcha shows better results in a first time situation than Goku. Personally, the Earthlings show better potential from the results of their training than Goku. They got stronger training with Kami than Goku, and responded better to gravity training than Goku. That shows more potential and natural talent, so the earthlings are more naturally gifted than Goku based on the results of the same training methods. Goku even got specialized since he had personal training whereas the Earthlings had to train in a group, yet the Earthlings still got stronger than Goku under similar circumstances with the same master.
Let's couple that with the fact that when Goku trained with Kami and Mr. Popo he didn't become as stronger as the Earthlings. Goku trained with Kami and Mr. Popo, and had years to train considering the gap between DB and DBZ, but even after all that he was much weaker than Raditz. However, when the Earthlings trained under Kami and Mr. Popo (Coupled with only having a few months to train as opposed to years), they all surpassed the Saibaman who were as strong as Raditz.

I feel that the thing that keeps the Saiyans stronger are three factors:
-Saiyans having more of a will to train and fight, excluding the hybrids. Vegeta and Goku would train constantly, whereas Krillin, Yamcha, and everyone else didn't train as often as they did, considering how they were (Obviously) human and had other aspirations such as Yamcha and women along with expensive things, and Krillin and his family.
-Saiyans had the Zenkai boosts, which constantly made them stronger after recovering from fatal injuries, something the humans lacked.
-The Super Saiyan transformations. 'Nuff said for this factor.

All in all, if Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, etc. were humans then they'd be just as strong if not stronger than Goku.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Think about how much Goku struggled on Kaio's planet, taking him months to get a good feeling of the gravity whereas the earthlings didn't even struggle in the first day. And to say that Yamcha had not got stronger since the Saiyan arc is fallacious because he trained on the planet longer than Goku did with better training records than Goku. Krillin never trained that way, ever.

Technically Goku going up to 100x gravity was only about a week, but still I see your point conpletely

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:30 pm

1 - People that say Ocean Dub is shit. I personally think they are better than all the others.

2 - Any kind of talk about Broly being amazing.

3 - Yamcha getting constantly taking the piss out of and people ( idiots ) who think Hercule and Videl would stand a chance against him.

4 - Any talk of power levels.

5 - People that call Dragon Ball fans, Weeaboo's. Such a stupid, annoying, pathetic and childish insult.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:38 pm

What annoys me are fans who seem to only care about power levels and relative character strengths and nothing else.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Scott wrote:1 - People that say Ocean Dub is shit. I personally think they are better than all the others.

2 - Any kind of talk about Broly being amazing.

3 - Yamcha getting constantly taking the piss out of and people ( idiots ) who think (the H-word) and Videl would stand a chance against him.

4 - Any talk of power levels.

5 - People that call Dragon Ball fans, Weeaboo's. Such a stupid, annoying, pathetic and childish insult.
1 - I agree that the Ocean Dub was awesome. While I personally prefer Funimation, Ocean Dub had very good voice acting and music, especially during the early Sagas. I also enjoy the cartoonish sound effects put into the comedic scenes.
2 - As for Broly... To me he's okay. I think that he can sometimes be overhyped, but other than that I see no big problems with him.
3 - We should all rally up in front of Akira Toriyama's doorstep with picket-signs and demand that he give Yamcha some love and recognition.
4 - Well, power levels are meh to me. I only use major talk of them when roleplaying. Lol.
5 - Thank you. Honestly, since when does being a fan of any show equal to being obsessed with anime or Japanese culture? That's like saying that just because I watch Camp Lazlo that I'm obsessed with orange monkeys.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:48 pm

It's when you're being a nuisance about how you're obsessed with the culture, that's when I call those type of people weaboos, otakus, and all the other demeaning stuff. Other than that, do whatchu want.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 pm

The Desert Bandit wrote:I agree that the Ocean Dub was awesome and had very good voice acting and music, especially during the early Sagas. I also enjoy the cartoonish sound effects put into the comedic scenes.
The Blue Water GT dub to me was actually a lot better than Funimation's horrible GT dub, excluding Sean's Goku & Eis/Nova Shenron's voices which were the only reasons I'd still watch GT dubbed.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Here's a few actually. Let's see...

1. Blatant disregard of the original Japanese version by some Funimation dub fans.

2. The slur "weeaboo" hurled at fans of the original version.

3. Still seeing "Fri-eza" and "Hercule" in 2015.
Last edited by thefalseprophecy on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:Quite a few actually. Let's see...

1. Blatant disregard of the original Japanese version by some Funimation dub fans.

2. The slur "weeaboo" hurled at fans of the original version.

3. Still seeing "Fri-eza" and "(the H-word)" in 2015.
I think Hercule is a good name for the character

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:30 pm

jcogginsa wrote:I think (the H-word) is a good name for the character
To each their own :) I'm curious as to why you prefer Hercule over Mr. Satan.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Any bashing of the Japanese music or voice actors. It's an unfair bias but that gets me upset faster than anything else. It's not helpful to bash anybodies preferred version. That happens to be mine.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:
To each their own :) I'm curious as to why you prefer (the H-word) over Mr. Satan.
I'll PM you

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 am

johnboy1 wrote:
Singh is King wrote:- When people like shitty voice acting in general, not just in DB.
- When people like horribly added dub-only lines that neither are clever nor funny nor fit the characters, not just in DB.
- When people say Kikuchi is worse than Faulconer or Yamamoto.
- When people like shitty dub themes, not just in DB.
So it pisses you off when other people don't share your opinions, then? Because that's really what all of the above amounts to.
Not at all: just when dubs don't have age-appropriate voices for characters making them sound too young or old and they cannot emote properly, when dub lines are added in to "punch up" the dialogue that aren't at least legitimate changes to the script, (e.g. "He killed him!" to "Pop goes the weasel!"), when people act like Kikuchi's BGM is outdated when I actually like it, and when people like bad dub themes (e.g. 4Kids' OP rap, TPCi's DP rap and XY remix, DBGT's Grand Tour rap) but bash ones that are better composed, so to speak.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Singh is King wrote:- When people like shitty voice acting in general, not just in DB.
- When people like horribly added dub-only lines that neither are clever nor funny nor fit the characters, not just in DB.
-when people have different opinions yet others feel the need to say stuff like this.
You're not getting what I'm saying, really: I suppose I should have clarified that, and I apologize if I came off as condescending for not doing so earlier.
ShaneisMC wrote:
Faulconer is sometimes pretty good for what it is, but it usually is not a fit for the series. Kikuchi is fantastic an I especially like it for the original dragon ball an a lot of parts of Z. Though I also really really like the Yamamoto score as well.
I like some of Faulconer's tracks quite a bit and same goes for Yamamoto but I just don't get why people bash Kikuchi like he's putting out something dreadful or something, and I'm in agreement with you.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:So it pisses you off when other people don't share your opinions, then? Because that's really what all of the above amounts to.
That's essentially what the entire thread boils down to. Some people just decided to dance around it (myself included).
I suppose this is true to an extent, but that's not really what I meant to do with that post. XD.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:05 am

Singh is King wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:
So it pisses you off when other people don't share your opinions, then? Because that's really what all of the above amounts to.
Not at all: just when dubs don't have age-appropriate voices for characters making them sound too young or old and they cannot emote properly, when dub lines are added in to "punch up" the dialogue that aren't at least legitimate changes to the script, (e.g. "He killed him!" to "Pop goes the weasel!"), when people act like Kikuchi's BGM is outdated when I actually like it, and when people like bad dub themes (e.g. 4Kids' OP rap, TPCi's DP rap and XY remix, DBGT's Grand Tour rap) but bash ones that are better composed, so to speak.
Dub voices and line changes aside, even though I'm a dub fan I love Kikuchi. Perfect for DB and from what I've seen of Z Kikuchi (1-67) that's amazing too. I just like Faulconer too much to not switch over at ep 68. It does get wall to wall and it can get annoying, but I still love the tracks.

For those dub themes you listed, I know the 4kids OP rap is shitty, but I have so much nostalgia for it, I cant really hate it lol. The DP rap though? :thumbdown: The XY remix of the original song isn't great, but it's not bad either. it can never live up to the original 4kids Pokémon opening though. (Say what you want about 4kids, they got Pokémon right...besides that whole riceball/doughnut thing.) And...the GT rap... :lolno: :sick:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:53 am

thefalseprophecy wrote:
To each their own :) I'm curious as to why you prefer (the H-word) over Mr. Satan.
Hercules or Hercule is a good name for a type of fighter like Mr. Satan, since he looks like a wrestler or a strongman or something close to it with a good nature, even if goofy and too sure of himself, and the image and name of Hercules or Hercule goes along with that. The name Mr. Satan doesn't really fit him at all, he doesn't look evil or demon-like nor anything beyond a strongman with a good nature.

Also, I really hate the name filters of this forum. People should be allowed to write whatever name they want. It's pretty much censorship.