Were there ever any fandubs of DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Were there ever any fandubs of DBZ?

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:29 pm

I remember years ago in the early 2000s that some fans had composed a fandub that did a few episodes.

I think the leader of the groups was.... "Skitzero" or something? Not too sure, it's been a while. My memory might be off but I'm pretty sure DBZ had some fandubbed episodes at some point.

Does anyone remember remember about this group or project?
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

swiftninja

Re: Were there ever any fandubs of DBZ?

Post by swiftninja » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:59 pm

yea there is a group called Team Four Star and they did a good and funny fan dub of dbz abridged

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:08 pm

swiftninja wrote:yea there is a group called Team Four Star and they did a good and funny fan dub of dbz abridged
That's not really what he's asking about. DBZ Abridged is a parody of the original show. A fandub is different.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 am

Afraid I'm unaware of any groups from that time period but I know there was a group that did an incomplete fandub of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:56 am

Just search on YouTube for "Dragon Ball FanDub" xD There`s a lot!
Some guys on this very forum does fandubs, including myself!
There`s also a really good fandub of Episode of Bardock right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lm1Vj-xtz4

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 am

^ I can't properly judge since I'm French, but yeah, I find it pretty good indeed.
The only real thing that could betray that it's not an official dub of some country is the music replacement (because the Takaki tracks are not available, so tracks had to be replaced).
But music replacement has been seen before even with Funimation, so...

Anyway, it is really well done for a fandub, it doesn't scream "fandub" at all, it had me wondering for a few minutes, sounds pretty much like something from Funimation to me!
Last edited by Cold Skin on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 am

Gonstead wrote:Afraid I'm unaware of any groups from that time period but I know there was a group that did an incomplete fandub of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans.
We never got around to it, but there was supposed to be a bunch of us who could imitate the Ocean cast and try to do the series in the same vein as how Saban/Ocean would have handled it... I did the mixing for it and I have no idea what became of it after that, and I played Goku! The guy who played Vegeta really sounded like Brian Drummond. I think I have clips of him on my hard drive actually, and I should show you guys!

He really could laugh, talk, scream, and all that other jazz, identical to Brian Drummond as Vegeta, especially the Saban era version! It was crazy to hear! My grunts were the only thing that sounded like Kelamis haha.

But I can mix fairly professionally, much better now than then, but it was going to be a high quality fan dub, but it just went no where and I never saw the completed episode, sadly. We even had a guy who sounded like McNiel as Piccolo! It was fun while it lasted.

If I'm not mistaken, Gonstead, you got all us together, no?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:42 am

*Coughcough* http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=25629& *Coughcough*
*Coughcough* WorkingonmorestuffgotomyYouTubechannel *Coughcough*
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:57 am

Attitudefan wrote:We never got around to it, but there was supposed to be a bunch of us who could imitate the Ocean cast and try to do the series in the same vein as how Saban/Ocean would have handled it...
I was the one who was going to make the title cards, and also wrote alternate titles for the episodes :D
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:21 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:We never got around to it, but there was supposed to be a bunch of us who could imitate the Ocean cast and try to do the series in the same vein as how Saban/Ocean would have handled it...
I was the one who was going to make the title cards, and also wrote alternate titles for the episodes :D
And it looked legit! I'll never forget it! Boy, have I come a longer way in voice acting since then, still as a hobby of course. I still hope that at least the first half of the fandub will be released, at least to us who worked on it!

The title card you made

My job was to do a reworking of the soundtrack such as in this clip, but this was before I finished the sound effects and reworked the voices (which I don't think I ever got to mix the voices in the master mix; but here was a part I completed on the soundtrack only, before I finished the Sound Effects, which I think Gonstead just used what he had to get a preview out ASAP). Though, I feel that I had better mixed parts in the episode which were never uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcjPoLxkp4

And here is that amazing Brian Drummond imitator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bftz_vG4Hpk He's sooo goooood

Oops, nevermind, here's another part I mixed (except the voices, I never got them as we never completed the whole thing lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMBxCwsHbc
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:25 am

Other than fooling around with their favorite moments, or parodies, I don't think I've ever seen a fan dub of DBZ. Usually fandubbers C&D on their own accord if the series makes it to western shores and DBZ been around before internet was a big deal.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 am

Attitudefan wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
And it looked legit! I'll never forget it! Boy, have I come a longer way in voice acting since then, still as a hobby of course. I still hope that at least the first half of the fandub will be released, at least to us who worked on it!

The title card you made

My job was to do a reworking of the soundtrack such as in this clip, but this was before I finished the sound effects and reworked the voices (which I don't think I ever got to mix the voices in the master mix; but here was a part I completed on the soundtrack only, before I finished the Sound Effects, which I think Gonstead just used what he had to get a preview out ASAP). Though, I feel that I had better mixed parts in the episode which were never uploaded.

And here is that amazing Brian Drummond imitator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bftz_vG4Hpk He's sooo goooood

Oops, nevermind, here's another part I mixed (except the voices, I never got them as we never completed the whole thing lol)

Wow you guys did a great job!

Coincidentally I'm attempting an Ocean inspired fandub myself right now, it's a two parter of Freeza's return after the Spirit Bomb and ends with the Super Saiyan transformation. I'm doing all the editing, sound effects and music myself as well as Imitating Kelamis' Goku and Klassen's Krillin (I've been told I do a pretty good job with Kelamis Goku). I'm auditioning for the rest of the cast at the moment so maybe we can collaborate on something.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:27 pm

It never actually came out, but there was a fan dub of Kai being worked on on a voice-acting related forum I used to be on, back around the time...actually I think it was just before FUNi got the show, and things just kinda fell apart after they got it.

Ten guesses who I auditioned for, got, and totally recorded for (renewing my hatred of flaps) even though it never got to see the light of day. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:

The title card you made

Yeah, it was a really fun fandub to work on while we ran it. Problem was though we never did have a consistent actor for Vegeta. I think we went through 2 - 3 different people before we settled on the last guy I cast. None of them were as available to provide lines as you or most of the other cast, which really stalled a lot of progress for the Namek portion of the fandub since Vegeta was a pretty major player for those episodes. Even in Episode 54, the one we were working on, I never even got a complete recorded script from any Vegeta voice actor due to them not being available to do so.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Vidmusc wrote:
swiftninja wrote:yea there is a group called Team Four Star and they did a good and funny fan dub of dbz abridged
That's not really what he's asking about. DBZ Abridged is a parody of the original show. A fandub is different.
With that said...I can't find it, but I believe there was a fandub of either Z or Kai in which TeamFourStar's Masako X--the TFS voice of Goku--played him in the fandub as well. Can't find it, though.

And by the way.........a note on fandubs. Technically, they are frowned upon by some as hurting the industry in the same way that fansubs do (although not to the same extent). On the other hand, when I recorded my first actual, legit, paying anime job a while ago, my director asked about my experience, and did ask if I did fandubs, and the context of the conversation was what experience I had with dubbing. All that to say, fandubs are frowned upon by some, but acknowledged by others in the actual biz as a form of training. Interpret that how you will. Personally, I don't think they're nearly as harmful as fansubs.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:21 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Vidmusc wrote:
With that said...I can't find it, but I believe there was a fandub of either Z or Kai in which TeamFourStar's Masako X--the TFS voice of Goku--played him in the fandub as well. Can't find it, though.
He used to do Goku for me for a couple of things back when I was starting off. Is this the one you're talking about?
http://tinyurl.com/l88omye It's pretty old. We did a full episode of 52 and 53 of Kai, I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WJAwCv3Tk the last one I did with him.

I don't think I was that great at directing him or anyone there, to be frank. And, arguably I'm still not that great of a director, but eh, it's all a part of the learning process.

I'm still doing dubs of it for fun and practice, but in much smaller portions (or least try to...I used to have a terrible habit of starting big projects =_=) and with my friends. We started doing some stuff from the original Dragon Ball, but other projects and real life kinda kept holding it back, but we'll eventually get to it.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm pretty sure there was a guy named "Skitzero" or something around the planetnamek.com days who formed a group that fandubbed a few episodes. I can't remember his exact name or site but I definitely recall reading about him long ago.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:42 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Personally, I don't think they're nearly as harmful as fansubs.
That's because they take a lot longer to make, the original airing date not meaning much, and involve many people, who tend to do it because they like doing it.
Fansubs are done a lot quicker, usually within days of the original airing, and they represent a real alternative to an official release, mostly for people who were going to watch it subtitled anyway.

In an alternate universe where there was an easier way to remove vocals from the audio, and more people interested in voice acting, each new anime would have countless full fandubs of dubious quality, being a real threat to distributors. But in this universe, fansubs are the threat.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Exactly. Fandubbing, good ones, have to remix the audio, including sound effects. One could go mono, but if using stereo or surround, one would have to take the time to make sure sounds are moving around between speakers etc. It is literally a full time job to do all of that. Getting good actors, time constraints, good microphones and having a quiet setup with no background noise etc. Subtitles is one guy who translates, and it isn't always accurate. I can't see how Fandubs are a threat when it is really a bunch of artists, from Foley artists, sound mixers, directors, script writers, and actors who volunteer their time to do these things for a GOOD dub.

Myself, I don't really want to take part in a Fandub that wouldn't go all out. We need other actors who have good mics and good sound mixers. I can do the mixing myself, I've dubbed 2 ten minute films. I should show you guys what I did, too show what people can do with free sound effects and some patience and a bit of knowledge of sound mixing. I did it all on Magix movie edit pro 12 and Sony Vegas Platinum back in 2011.

Mixing isn't hard if you have done decent sound effects and get creative with creating new sounds out of others. I created a sound of putting a suitcase on a bed by mixing sounds of creaking floors, a metal pipe, a sound of a cup moving on a table, and sounds of doors opening closing etc. To create 1 single sound effect. 1. I had to mix footsteps, clothing moving, ambient sounds of an indoor room, and voices mixing them with reverb, bad, treble etc to make the sound effects to sound like they are actually recorded in the room. I did that for a grade 12 film project.

Look, I wish to see that level of commitment of mixing in fandubs, and TFS actually does this. I need to see more like this, and I would love to help others with mixing.

But seriously, a decent mic like a yeti blue goes a long way to get a decent sound. I hate hearing a 5 dollar mic in a Fandub. Learn to use levels to scream in the mic without clipping the sound. It can be done.

It can take a few hours to learn all that and practice of recording and mixing for fun, but it is invaluable experience and should be seen not as a threat, but as volunteer work. I learned more in my first year film class about sound and mixing, but I knew most of this stuff years before I entered university by practicing since grade 8, at 13 years old.

Fandubs is fanart. It's an art form that comes with a development of skills that can be useful in the industry. Too bad I changed my degree into politics haha. But I still wish to do dubbing as a job.

If fandubs were banned, then do should drawings of fanart and covers of music. Really, a fandub is really identical in nature to a cover of a song. As long as it is treated as volunteer experience and non profit, it's a great thing in my opinion.

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:07 pm

I usually don't watch fandubs, unless they seem professional, with sound effects, good VAs, good sound quality, a decent script, etc.

That's why it's rare that I watch fandubs. Not saying all fandubs are terrible (I'm pretty confident there are some amazing ones out there), but the ones I've seen were pretty bad to say the least. I would hope that if someone did make a fandub that it would fall under the umbrella of awesome.

If such a dub were to come about for DBZ, I'd be over it like a hawk! :D
PSN: Jak1739
I'm always up for Xenoverse battles!
Xenoverse character name: Aros
Race: Earthling