Toriyama's changed thoughts on the anime.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Toriyama's changed thoughts on the anime.

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:22 pm

So first, Toriyama was pleased with how the anime turned out during it's original run. Now he is saying :
There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.

Why is it that he now thinks this? I thought the English dub changed his character. The Japanese original kept his character as an obsessive fighter, but he somehow thinks not.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Toriyama's changed thoughts on the anime.

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 pm

The anime mostly kept it intact because a lot of it is just adapting the source material. He can be a bit off character in the "too heroic" direction in the series' original filler as well as the films though (most specifically during Z in things written by Takao Koyama). That's why there was a lot of discussion over Battle of Gods about how the film really have him feel like "Toriyama's Goku".

Do notice though, that this wasn't an recent thought. That interview was from 1996.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 pm

For what it's worth, we also don't know if Toriyama's specifically referring to "the movies" or "the TV series" or "both the TV series and the movies" in that statement.

The rank of Goku changes truly does go: manga -> TV series -> movies... so it's possible he's referring to any step along that spectrum.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:13 pm

I definitely think it's aimed more toward the movies.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:32 am

I thought the anime staff did darn well with adapting the source material when it comes to Son Gokû. He wasn't too far off with Toriyama's work. And Toriyama has been pretty consistent with Goku's character. Gokû didn't come to save the Planet Namek, but came to fight against Freeza because he's one strong little dude. He's training all the time because he wants to become stronger and stronger, and when the strong enemy appears, he doesn't care about the advice of wise ones, and rushes to the scene and checks out his power. But he also doesn't let baddies harm the people and his friends. Gokû never changes even in Battle of Gods. It's the films and GT that put him in the spotlight.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 am

I third the "he's probably aiming this at the movies". Koyama's Gokû is very distinctively different from Toriyama's.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:49 am

Where can I find this info on Toriyama saying this?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:For what it's worth, we also don't know if Toriyama's specifically referring to "the movies" or "the TV series" or "both the TV series and the movies" in that statement.

The rank of Goku changes truly does go: manga -> TV series -> movies... so it's possible he's referring to any step along that spectrum.
That's a good point. The movies and filler eps kept portraying him as a borderline superhero instead of the optimistic jock we're introduced to in the manga.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:22 am

I don't see Goku as a hero type in Z maybe he talking about what Toei did with GT Goku. Just wondering, how did it go with Chris Sabat and the Audio you gave him OWmyDragonBallz/AnimeMaakuo? :wink:

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:37 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:But he also doesn't let baddies harm the people and his friends. Gokû never changes even in Battle of Gods. It's the films and GT that put him in the spotlight.
Piccolo wrote:Hey! I thought you weren't here when Vegeta went off like that. You arrived long before that, using your Instantaneous Movement ,to see how things played out, didn't you?"
Goku wrote:"Uh, well..."
Bulma wrote:Son-kun!
Oolong wrote:Is that true, you jerk?! While everyone else was getting beat up?!
Goku wrote:Sorry! Sorry! I was watching the enemy's movement ,trying to put together a strategy, but well, I didn't come up with anything.
Goku wrote: I wanted to get you to say "I give up." I give up. I give up! Beers-sama, you sure are strong. There ain't no way I could stand up to you. You're the strongest in the universe, all right.
Last edited by Mystic Tien on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:51 am

Do you think Toriyama has seen the "Ally to good!" part?

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:02 am

I prefer Goku to have more of a heroic side than somebody that just loves mindless fighting. Sorta like superman who goes around and helps everyday people instead of training.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:16 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Gokû didn't come to save the Planet Namek, but came to fight against Freeza because he's one strong little dude.
But Goku did give his most heroic speech on Namek where he claimed he was fighting for its people and the planet's future.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:21 am

The Monkey King wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Gokû didn't come to save the Planet Namek, but came to fight against Freeza because he's one strong little dude.
But Goku did give his most heroic speech on Namek where he claimed he was fighting for its people and the planet's future.
He just said he was taking revenge on Freeza for everything he did to the Saiyans and Nameks. He fights for himself first, saving the planet comes as a consequence of that usually.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:35 am

Yeah, I'm not seeing this 'distinction' Toriyama or most the people in this thread are referring to. Unless it's something utterly lost in translation in the Viz version of the manga, I don't really understand what the anime or movies do that isn't an established character trait he's already shown in the source material. Obviously other writers are going to do something different than Toriyama, since they aren't him. And I don't understand this weird obsession most people on this site have with considering Goku a, what, anti-hero? I don't get it. Like, I get the dub took him in a really boring direction, but that doesn't mean being "the hero guy" is a bad thing.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:38 am

Doctor. wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:
He just said he was taking revenge on Freeza for everything he did to the Saiyans and Nameks. He fights for himself first, saving the planet comes as a consequence of that usually.
Yeah I was referring to the scene where Goku uses kaio-ken X20, I just read the manga version and he makes no such heroic speech, he only does so in the anime. My bad.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 am

GokuRules987 wrote:I prefer Goku to have more of a heroic side than somebody that just loves mindless fighting. Sorta like superman who goes around and helps everyday people instead of training.
What? The Saiyan's are not like Kryptonians were they had a morality compass. They were just a race of blood thristy, battle loving, space pirates. Goku love of his family and friends and want to protect the Earth will always overlap with his love for challenges and fighting, and that's one of the unique feature of Dragon Ball and always make the interactions between the cast a lot more colourful and full of depth. And besides, why should Goku be like Superman? Part of the reason why fans love Goku and why he stands out so much more is because of his personality being so much more alien and wildcard-ish and so far apart from what Superman stands for.

GoldLiger
Banned

Post by GoldLiger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:49 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
GokuRules987 wrote:I prefer Goku to have more of a heroic side than somebody that just loves mindless fighting. Sorta like superman who goes around and helps everyday people instead of training.
What? The Saiyan's are not like Kryptonians were they had a morality compass. They were just a race of blood thristy, battle loving, space pirates. Goku love of his family and friends and want to protect the Earth will always overlap with his love for challenges and fighting, and that's one of the unique feature of Dragon Ball and always make the interactions between the cast a lot more colourful and full of depth. And besides, why should Goku be like Superman? Part of the reason why fans love Goku and why he stands out so much more is because of his personality being so much more alien and wildcard-ish and so far apart from what Superman stands for.
Toriyama made Goku's origins match Superman's origin by 95% in DB- chapter.
Dragon Ball Heroes God Mission = Best sets of missions so far

Super Saiyan 4 Gohan FTW!!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:02 pm

GoldLiger wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Toriyama made Goku's origins match Superman's origin by 95% in DB- chapter.
Goku's origins were already 95% similar to Superman before Dragon Ball Minus even existed. And Superman origins are a ripoff of Moses.