Dragon Ball Discross Game Getting Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Discross Game Getting Manga

Post by Vidmusc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 pm

From Anime News Network
The May issue of Shueisha's Saikyō Jump magazine announced on Friday that the capsule arcade game Dragon Ball Discross is inspiring a manga series. Katsuki Hirose launched the Dragon Ball Discross Jinryoku God Max!! manga in the same issue.

The manga will feature characters from the arcade game such as Discross announcer Jin and the Discung fu master known as Capu Sennin (Capsule Hermit). The story's protagonist will be average elementary school student Kūto Kurosu.

The Dragon Ball Discross game debuted at arcades and electronics shops in Japan on December 24. Players can purchase a Discross toy from capsule machines positioned around the arcade game console to play the game for free.

Each Discross costs 100 yen (about US$0.83), and advance sales began at the Jump Festa event on December 20 and 21. Each disc contains a different character from Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga and anime adaptations.

The Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragon Ball Z: The F in Fukkatsu, or 'resurrection') film also received a three-chapter manga adaptation starting in the April issue of Shueisha's V Jump magazine on February 21. The film will premiere in both 2D and 3D in theaters throughout Japan on April 18.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... nga/.86566
So yeah... That's a thing now apparently...

Also if this should be in the video game forum, feel free to move it there mods.

Dyno
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Discross Game Getting Manga

Post by Dyno » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Who could be drawing it? :think:

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Last edited by shinmaru on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:54 pm

The "red-yellow spiky bits glued on to regular black hair" haircut on one of those characters is just about the most absurd-looking hairstyle I have ever seen.

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Pantalones wrote:The "red-yellow spiky bits glued on to regular black hair" haircut on one of those characters is just about the most absurd-looking hairstyle I have ever seen.
Almost reminds me of hairstyles from Yu-Gi-Oh in a way.

Anyway it seems to look like the same artist who does Charisma Mission. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Vidmusc wrote:From Anime News Network
The Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragon Ball Z: The F in Fukkatsu, or 'resurrection') film
Yep, that's from Anime News Network all right.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Adamant wrote:
The Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragon Ball Z: The F in Fukkatsu, or 'resurrection') film
Lol, are they still sticking to that?
We have an English title now and they won't admit defeat :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Adamant wrote:
Oh, my God. Are you kidding me? Why won't they that edit that shit already?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Is it just me or is everything tangentially Dragon Ball-related getting a manga nowadays? Next up, Xenoverse manga! After that, manga featuring new wave of Gashapon! Traced Drawn by those guys who did that Chi-chi dōjinshi!
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Hey, hey... Unlike Discross and the whole disc game thing, a Xenoverse in-universe manga would be a great idea so long as it got a decent artist.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Is it just me or is everything tangentially Dragon Ball-related getting a manga nowadays?
Collectible trinket games like these getting tie-in manga to drum up interest in them is common. It's cheap to commission one and kids reading a magazine like V-Jump or Corocoro are far more likely to read a manga based on an unfamiliar arcade game than a feature page on new and cool updates to that game, so it's very effective advertisement.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:40 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Is it just me or is everything tangentially Dragon Ball-related getting a manga nowadays? Next up, Xenoverse manga! After that, manga featuring new wave of Gashapon! Traced Drawn by those guys who did that Chi-chi dōjinshi!
If that's the case Scars manga need to be official ASAP

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:47 pm

Will this replace Dragon Ball SD?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:07 pm

So, is this manga going to have any actual stakes, or is it going to be like early Heroes: Victory Mission where they expect us to care if some kid wins a video game or not? Seriously, I was flabbergasted that it took until the second major arc for there to be an actual threat to... well, anything of any significance.
Last edited by johnboy1 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Is it just me or is everything tangentially Dragon Ball-related getting a manga nowadays? Next up, Xenoverse manga! After that, manga featuring new wave of Gashapon! Traced Drawn by those guys who did that Chi-chi dōjinshi!
To be fair, a Xenoverse manga could actually work if done right.

EDIT: The artist for this manga is Katsuki Hirose.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:33 pm

This looks like it can be DBZ meets Avengers Disk Wars from the looks of it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:41 pm

Lollers, for what it's worth, I like the idea of the dragonball expanded universe, even if I won't read this obvious Yu-Gi-Oh! copycat. :lol:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 pm

This looks terrible, I don't know why they would invest money into this when they have Heroes. Knowing our luck, this will be the game to get an animated series and be brought to the US instead of Heroes. :(
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Will this replace Dragon Ball SD?
I really, really hope not.

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:25 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Will this replace Dragon Ball SD?
I really, really hope not.
I don't believe so. I don't think it's really replacing any of the Dragon Ball series in Saikyo Jump. So with SD, Charisma Mission, and the GT Anime Comic Saikyo Jump is gonna have a crap load of Dragon Ball content.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 pm

It's saddening to see how the DB characters are used like nothing but pawns in the game these days.