Resurrection F Box Office - $64.8 million Worldwide

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Resurrection F Box Office - $64.8 million Worldwide

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:37 pm

I’ll use this to keep track of the box office both in Japan and also worldwide then compare it with BoG.

BoG made ¥2.99 billion ($31.1 million at the time) and $51.2 million worldwide. This time Toei have set a goal of ¥4 billion ($33 million) for the movie. This movie does have a couple of advantages over BoG, one being that it’s in 3D so will benefit from the more expensive tickets and two is that it’s being released on over twice as many screens across the country.

Here’s a breakdown of its gross in Japan as reference and how the new one compares.

Black = BoG
Red = RoF

Weekend 1: ¥684 million ($7.3 million)
Weekend 1: ¥960 million ($8.1 million)
Weekend 2: ¥424 million ($4.3 million) = Total: ¥1,772 million ($18.0 million)
Weekend 2: ¥466 million ($3.9 million) = Total: ¥1,833 million ($15.4 million)
Weekend 3: ¥228 million ($2.3 million) = Total: ¥2,201 million ($22.5 million)
Weekend 3: ¥299 million ($2.5 million) = Total: ¥2,602 million ($21.7 million)
Weekend 4: ¥145 million ($1.5 million) = Total: ¥2,469 million ($24.8 million)
Weekend 4: ¥126 million ($1.1 million) = Total: ¥3,281 million ($27.4 million)
Weekend 5: ¥95 million ($1.00 million) = Total: ¥2,668 million ($27.2 million)
Weekend 5: ¥106 million ($0.87 million) =Total: ¥3,430 million ($28.7 million)
Weekend 6: ¥82 million ($0.83 million) = Total: ¥2,875 million ($29.0 million)
Weekend 6: ¥60 million ($0.50 million) =Total: ¥3,530 million ($29.5 million)
Weekend 7: ¥19 million ($0.19 million) = Total: ¥2,920 million ($29.5 million)
Weekend 7: ¥41 million ($0.33 million) =Total: ¥3,590 million ($29.9 million)

The link below lists the gross for other countries too, again for comparisons sake.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... lz2014.htm

Hopefully it does better all around.

RoF Box Office Mojo Page

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... ionoff.htm
Last edited by Bullza on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 107 times in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Resurrection F Box Office Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:50 pm

I was hoping someone would make a thread about this :)

Do we have any idea what its opening weekend is on course for, yet?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:05 pm

No I don't think we'll have any idea until the day it releases like last time. It's hard to even guess, if this movie really is released in 630-640 theatres it's an amount that no anime film or Japanese film has ever actually been released in so you'd figure it'd open a lot higher but a Detective Conan movie opens the same day and Fast 7 the day before so it has a competition that Battle of Gods didn't really have.

It does open a lot nearer Golden Week this time so it'll probably get off to a stronger start early on at least.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Whoa, I had no idea the amount of screens it was being shown to was a record breaker. That is the power of Dragon Ball! :P

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:48 pm

Personally, I think bring back a famous and beloved vllain like Freeza will help the sales.
I just hope Toei reaches their 4 billion goal. Not only the series deserves it, but the staff too for their hardwork and overall improvement compared to BOG.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whoa, I had no idea the amount of screens it was being shown to was a record breaker. That is the power of Dragon Ball! :P
Yeah, I would have thought that if any anime movie would have had a record breaking amount of screenings, it would have been a One Piece movie. Go Dragon Ball! :thumbup:

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Here we go!

Twice as many theatres? Awesome. That's got to boost the sales, one would have thought. Let's hope it smashes the target and sets us up nicely for a third movie. 8)

I'm so disappointed that there's been nothing announced regarding UK screenings, but I still have a small hope it will happen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Ponyo holds the record for a domestic film with the widest release at 481 screens.

Usually the more popular anime films based on TV series like Pokemon, Detective Conan, One Piece and Doraemon are released on 300-350 screens, Battle of Gods was released on 312 screens. The Studio Ghibli films are released on around 450 screens.

The films that get 600+ screens have always been the big Hollywood movies. It's unheard of for a movie like this to have such a wide release, I find it really hard to believe myself but the guy did say it was gonna have a super expansion.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Bullza wrote: The link below lists the gross for other countries too, again for comparisons sake.

Why America doesn't appear there?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 pm

30-32 million would be my best bet. 3D + Iconic villain + BOG doing well should make a solid profit for Toei in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:23 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:Here we go!

Twice as many theatres? Awesome. That's got to boost the sales, one would have thought. Let's hope it smashes the target and sets us up nicely for a third movie. 8)

I'm so disappointed that there's been nothing announced regarding UK screenings, but I still have a small hope it will happen.
I've just tweeted Manga UK asking if there's anything planned. I really hope they don't drop the ball again like they did with BoG last year.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:

I've just tweeted Manga UK asking if there's anything planned. I really hope they don't drop the ball again like they did with BoG last year.
I really don't know what happened there. They announced on their podcast that they were exploring the possibilities of some cinema releases, it was shown at Scotland Loves Anime subbed and that was the last I heard of it.

They've had plenty of time to get something sorted with Resurrection F, so I hope they're busy behind the scenes. I think DBZ would do reasonably well if released in UK cinemas - I'd go and see enough times to boost the sales! :lol:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:32 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:

I really don't know what happened there. They announced on their podcast that they were exploring the possibilities of some cinema releases, it was shown at Scotland Loves Anime subbed and that was the last I heard of it.

They've had plenty of time to get something sorted with Resurrection F, so I hope they're busy behind the scenes. I think DBZ would do reasonably well if released in UK cinemas - I'd go and see enough times to boost the sales! :lol:
I honestly believe it would do very well, as I've said in other threads, I'd be happy to travel to London or further to see it.
The "Scotland loves anime" screening (to my knowledge anyway) was the only cinema screening in the UK.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:05 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
BlackCatScott wrote:it was shown at Scotland Loves Anime subbed and that was the last I heard of it.
The "Scotland loves anime" screening (to my knowledge anyway) was the only cinema screening in the UK.
I was going to go but it ended up being dubbed in the end. No idea what happened there.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:32 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Bullza wrote: The link below lists the gross for other countries too, again for comparisons sake.

Why America doesn't appear there?!
It's not included as a foreign figure. The American gross is that $2.55 million figure at the top.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Here are a bunch of release dates for the movies, some are probably subject to change, some may have changed and I just didn't see it. If you have any useful information let me know because I'm trying to keep track.

April 16 - Argentina, Puerto Rico, Peru, Guatemala, Uruguay, Panama

April 17 - Paraguay
April 18 - Japan
April 23 - Bolivia

April - Colombia

May 1 - Taiwan

June 5 - Venezuela
June 18 - Chile, Brazil
June 19 - Mexico

June - Honduras, Ecuador

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Fun fact: Battle of Gods got a (just barely) wide release in the United States despite not being rated by the MPAA. So what, right? Wrong. That's damn-near unheard of, since most mall-chain theaters are forbidden by the terms of their leases from showing NC-17 or unrated films. That's a gigantic chunk of potential screens that are completely off-limits. Only one other film in the past 17 years, 2005's Indigo, managed an unrated wide release, and that was largely due to the filmmakers having friends in high places/being relentless in their pursuit of any possible venue that might show it.

I'm curious to see if the Stateside theatrical release of RF will be just as big.
Last edited by johnboy1 on Thu May 28, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Bullza wrote:Here are a bunch of release dates for the movies, some are probably subject to change, some may have changed and I just didn't see it. If you have any useful information let me know because I'm trying to keep track.

April 16 - Argentina, Puerto Rico, Peru, Guatemala, Uruguay, Panama

April 17 - Paraguay
April 18 - Japan
April 23 - Bolivia

April - Colombia

May 1 - Taiwan

June 5 - Venezuela
June 18 - Chile, Brazil
June 19 - Mexico

June - Honduras, Ecuador
Didn't some South American dates get pushed back to October?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Not that I've seen but I haven't been looking in the general thread much lately.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=16549

That site lists some alternate dates but nothing past June. Surely all those April 16th releases are false, I'm sure we'd have heard something if it were that soon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Japan gross doesn't concern me, it's gonna be good no matter what. What I hope is that for once Toei shows bigger international initiative securing distribution deals. There was a ton of money left off on the ground with BOG because of limited/non-existant/delayed international premieres. These movies could easily be earning 200+ million worldwide with proper, wide simultaneous releases