What fan fiction would actually make a good series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: What fan fiction would actually make a good series?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 am

Definitely not Dragonball Multiverse. Oh kami no. :sick: . Aladjinn Arc in New Age would make a good what if OVA. But personally I'll go with Legacy of Son Gohan :thumbup: . Story about Grandpa Gohan :) . I hardly see him in fanfiction and he isn't even mentioned in DBMV. No other fan manga mentions him either. So it's nice to see Goku's gramps have a central role. Nice seeing him fight Oozaru too.
The Monkey King wrote:I find it pretty funny that people are looking down on fan fiction in this thread when the latest film had gems such as:

. An old villain being revived
. Freeza training for 4 months and becoming stronger than SSJG Goku
. Golden Freeza
. Blue haired SSJs
. Broken, hand holding ass pull power ups >>> Vegito.

Bad sounding fan fiction is already part of the series
Old school fanfictions are now modern DBZ.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:22 pm

I'd like for Percel's Xenoverse story to be made into a fanfic first THEN into a short mini-series, I think his scenario would be simply incredible to see play out.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Dyno wrote:Indeed. I can't even look down on fan-fictions (never liked them) nowadays. Many of their concepts/ideas/thoughts/schemes... Are occuring in the original materials. Crazy times, huh. :eh:
I actually saw someone make a good comment on youtube that the Android saga is very fan fiction-like, just the way it has Trunks who shows up out of completely no where, is a badass that manages to easily defeat a bad guy who was made out to be the strongest of all, can somehow become a super saiyan (which changes the story from the idea that SSJ only shows up once every 1000 years) and is the son of two characters who have almost no connection....from the future...post apocalyptic of course...

Combining with the fact that it brings back an old villian as well (red ribbon army technically) and is overly-dark in general. My personal opinion though is that the android saga actually INSPIRED fanfiction writers everywhere because there are so many stories that try to make the source material darker than it is but at least the actual Dragon Ball manga itself pulled it off well enough.

I don't read much Dragon Ball fanfiction (or fanfiction in general) but I did read some of Multiverse which was actually well done and had a lot of effort put into it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Only existing fanfiction/comic I've read that appeals to me in anyway is Multiverse.
Deathbringer wrote:
Dyno wrote:Indeed. I can't even look down on fan-fictions (never liked them) nowadays. Many of their concepts/ideas/thoughts/schemes... Are occuring in the original materials. Crazy times, huh. :eh:
I actually saw someone make a good comment on youtube that the Android saga is very fan fiction-like, just the way it has Trunks who shows up out of completely no where, is a badass that manages to easily defeat a bad guy who was made out to be the strongest of all, can somehow become a super saiyan (which changes the story from the idea that SSJ only shows up once every 1000 years) and is the son of two characters who have almost no connection....from the future...post apocalyptic of course...

Combining with the fact that it brings back an old villian as well (red ribbon army technically) and is overly-dark in general.
Lol. You're right. It really is like a modern day fanfic.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Deathbringer wrote:I actually saw someone make a good comment on youtube that the Android saga is very fan fiction-like, just the way it has Trunks who shows up out of completely no where, is a badass that manages to easily defeat a bad guy who was made out to be the strongest of all, can somehow become a super saiyan (which changes the story from the idea that SSJ only shows up once every 1000 years) and is the son of two characters who have almost no connection....from the future...post apocalyptic of course...
What!? But there is something explaining where Trunks came from, he has a special manga and a TV Special for it. He didn't come out from nowhere. But I agree, he shouldn't have been the one to kill Freeza, this pretty much destroys everything that was being building since Bardock's TV Special (chronologically or not). I'm fine with him being able to transform into Super Saiyan, the problem is Son Goten and Trunks, they shouldn't in my opinion.
Last edited by Dyno on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Deathbringer wrote:I actually saw someone make a good comment on youtube that the Android saga is very fan fiction-like, just the way it has Trunks who shows up out of completely no where, is a badass that manages to easily defeat a bad guy who was made out to be the strongest of all, can somehow become a super saiyan (which changes the story from the idea that SSJ only shows up once every 1000 years) and is the son of two characters who have almost no connection....from the future...post apocalyptic of course...
Don't forget that he's the son of two main characters who have never been hinted at being attracted towards each other.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Dyno wrote: What!? But there is something explaining where Trunks came from, it has a special manga and a TV Special for it. He didn't come out from nowhere.
yeah there is history of trunks but when he first shows up in front of Freeza and King Cold it was the first we see of him, he showed up out of the blue, he seems to easily overpower everyone who fights him, then he turns super saiyan because...fuck the rules that's why. Of course, it's intriguing, done well and it really freshened things up.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 pm

A good DB series or a good DB animation? Those are two different things.

Animation (as in something short akin to an OAV/movie) is easier to point at:
- Toyble's last chapter*
- Dragon Ball Elsewhere
- Yardrats, l'histoire d'un survivant
- Tsufurs
In short: those stories that fill a gap in the narrative and/or focus on other characters then the principal cast.

Also quite nice could be Who wants to be a Superhero ? and Wrong Time** but I'd prefer something that adds to the story and is not just "I master DB storytelling and want to have fun with it". The franchise gives us that already and I prefer my media info-packed. But that's just me.

As to a longer animation - so a series - I can't really see anything fan-created as worthy of getting animated and canonized. Basically there are three types of fan works: an alternative universe (and I'm not interested in those at all, I love coherence [I know DB isn't really a coherent world, but I don't want to rob it of the precious few that's left] but there are some good titles there: DBSF, Universe F, Ankoku, Dragon Ball Sai, DBM's various special chapters and a special mention here for Dragon ball Dimensions - the great branching, comprehensive what-if of the Buu Saga), a DB-derivative, non-imaginative AF (DBNA, DBEX are some of the worst offenders with youngjiji's DBAfter coming in a close second and both toyble's and youngjiji's respective AFs doing a surprisingly not bad work of being readable) and then there's DBM the tournament (I have discussed the special chapters in the "alternative universes" section so here I'm referring just to the main story).

I love DBM (as is easily attested by the fact that I translate it into Polish since 2008) but I wouldn't want it to become official. The idea of DBM is to show fun fights, interesting what-if encounters - in short to be pure entertainment. Sure, there's an overarching plot, even quite an engrossing one, but I'm not sure I'd want the Dragon Ball franchise to come back for yet another tournament arc. Enough's enough, we've had many of those already. What's good for a very slow fan endeavour, isn't guaranteed to be the same for a professional series. So no, I don't consider animating DBM a good idea.

So, what's left? Nothing. It would seem that, were I to decide, I'd surely use some fan works as a basis for new DB material, but I wouldn't create any new series, just more feature films.

One more thing: GT:Revised. It is probably the perfect DB fanfiction but I'm not sure its changes are so huge as to warrant a whole new series - rather a Kai-like reworking of GT with some new scenes added/redone. So I don't count it as pertinent to this topic.

* That's the only fan thing I'd really love to see turned official. It's spot-on Dragon Ball and I dare you to read without shedding a tear. That's how GT should have ended. It's such a perfect closure to the Dragon World.
** BTW, I don't consider Wrong Time an alternative history - I can see it as fitting into the the standard timeline.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Who want's to be a Super Hero and Journey's End. Both would be great.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:41 pm

I think New Age and After the Future would work as good series in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:10 pm

As much as I hate GT, Toyble's Dragon Ball AF seemed to fit within the weirdness of GT's universe.

I just hate most fan fictions because it seems like the creators don't make a story that could fit within the canon. Multiverse seems like it could easily fit within the canon with no problem. New characters aren't that outrageous and the creators aren't making new forms (Super Saiyan 6 OC Saiyan.) It explores what-if scenarios that Dragon Ball Heroes is even taking a poke at. 4th Form King Cold, 5th Form Freeza, Super Saiyan 3 Vegetto, Vegetto never unfusing, Broly destroying everything, Buu absorbing everybody. I love this. I only hope that they add in the BoG/RoF canon in there.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:16 pm

After the Future in my opinion better then Toyable's AF. ATF seems to having the series try to focus the main heroes save the day without Goku's help. We also had a saga with Gotenks and Uub saving the day. The Shadow Dragon arc in ATF is better in my opinion then the one we got in GT because each hero fights a Shadow Dragon then just Goku killing them all. Toyable's AF feels like another saga in GT while ATF feels like a new series to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:29 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Anything BUT Multiverse..
Motherfucking this.

Dragon Ball Multiverse is insanely overhyped. I'll give it credit for it's popularity but as far as a story perspective goes, it's very average at best. I'll always advocate for After The Future to be the story that GT should have been and more.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Motherfucking this.

Dragon Ball Multiverse is insanely overhyped. I'll give it credit for it's popularity but as far as a story perspective goes, it's very average at best. I'll always advocate for After The Future for to be the story that GT should have been and more.
If it's average, how would anything be better?

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Motherfucking this.
Do you really think what you are saying? "Anything" implies:
"Super Saiyan 10"
Infinity Super Saiyan
Juden Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan Monster
And even, lo and behold, Super Dark Saiyan:

IS Multiverse really the "anything but" option? Would you really prefer some fan-made demented nth form of Super Saiyan? Statements such as this make me sometimes think that DB's fandom does care about two things: powerlevels and new forms (preferably with a number so high as to rival the powerlevel itself and with muscles so big that it can fill the whole universe with them).

Mind you, as I stated earlier, despite my liking DBM, I'm quite against it being canonized/animated in any other way than through a fan production but, were I presented with a choice: "we will animate one fan manga/fanfic and it can't be any title you named earlier (Toyble's last chapter, Dragon Ball Elsewhere, Yardrats, l'histoire d'un survivant, Tsufurs, Who wants to be a Superhero ? and Wrong Time) or any alternative universe", I'd choose Multiverse simply because there's nothing not cringe-worthy left out there that I'd happen to know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm flattered that GTR has been name-dropped a few times, but I'm still perplexed that its story can be held in such high regard when so far I've only finished or revealed like 10-20% of it at most.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:54 pm

I wouldn't say Multiverse is overhyped. It's just the only well-known DBZ (not GT) fan work that, well, ummm... doesn't stink and understands its source material. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:15 pm

The butthurt is strong. Anything is normally an exaggeration, so people should chill out. I've heard people say "They'd rather do anything than [Insert topic]" a bunch of times. It's just an exaggeration. I've heard I'd watch any other film than Dragon Ball evolution or play anything other than Sonic 06, but you can find worse if you want to.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:37 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:The butthurt is strong. Anything is normally an exaggeration, so people should chill out. I've heard people say "They'd rather do anything than [Insert topic]" a bunch of times. It's just an exaggeration. I've heard I'd watch any other film than Dragon Ball evolution or play anything other than Sonic 06, but you can find worse if you want to.
And I've seen people say "I literally died when I heard that joke" or that a certain average movie is "the worst movie ever" and so on. I don't like when exaggerations lead to something being outright wrong or being just unfair, so I point that stuff out, whether it's DBM or something else.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:40 pm

rereboy wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:The butthurt is strong. Anything is normally an exaggeration, so people should chill out. I've heard people say "They'd rather do anything than [Insert topic]" a bunch of times. It's just an exaggeration. I've heard I'd watch any other film than Dragon Ball evolution or play anything other than Sonic 06, but you can find worse if you want to.
And I've seen people say "I literally died when I heard that joke" or that a certain average movie is "the worst movie ever" and so on. I don't like when exaggerations lead to something being outright wrong or being just unfair, so I point that stuff out, whether it's DBM or something else.
It's their opinion of simply not liking the material. It doesn't really matter. They exaggerated but so what? Exaggeration is supposed to be ridiculous.