Underused characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Underused characters?

Post by voltlunok » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Going off of Zeyphr's overused characters thread, I thought it would be neat to see who people think is criminally underused! this means across games, OVAs, side manga, specials, movies and even merch.

I'll kick things off by saying Vegetto. He doesn't show up much outside of games and the most I've seen out of him in recent years is DB Heroes! Who seem to push him way more then Gogeta who is the marketing favorite of the fusions last I checked. But even then we don't see him very often.

But beyond that who do you guys think is underused?
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Underused characters?

Post by Sinestro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:13 pm

How about Colonel Violet? She actually survived the Red Ribbon Army debacle, with cash in tow.

Granted, she's not much a threat, but she is a character who is still out there.
Last edited by Sinestro on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Most of the male humans. No, scratch that, all of them. They all have one basic function for the arcs they were most relevant in and that's it; Kuririn served as a trigger for Goku's rage and motivation to defeat the villain (in the Freeza arc, the trigger for his power-up); Yamcha serves as a tool to set-up the antagonist of the arc, a role he was overused so often that he lost credibility and Toriyama scrapped him in favour of Piccolo in the Boo arc; and Tenshinhan serves as a way to stall for time. Yes, I know that Kuririn and Tenshinhan got their moments in the 21st + 22nd TB and 22nd + 23rd TB respectively, but I don't feel like it was enough. Oob hasn't gotten any screentime at all, so if this movies continue, I wouldn't mind if they go over the 28th TB.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Lunch, #17, #18, Dr Gero, Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, Krillin, Oob... fuck, just about all of the humans and fair share of the supporting cast are underused.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh oh! I got another one! Bora and Upa! Haven't seen them or their tribe in a while. Save for a quick cameo in GT.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Piccolo should have gotten a lot more then what he did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Android #18. She is often overshadowed by her husband despite being stronger.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:54 pm

Android 18 and Piccolo.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:28 pm

#18, because it's actual bullshit she isn't joining fights.

Toei managed to do right by her at least once or twice after the Cell arc; Toriyama needs to step up to the plate.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Cipher wrote:#18, because it's actual bullshit she isn't joining fights.

Toei managed to do right by her at least once or twice after the Cell arc; Toriyama needs to step up to the plate.
Ya know, I will say that both androids actually are heavily underused...it would be nice to have #17 expanded upon further then the interview with Toriyama, He even says that he's reunited with 18 a couple times! Least in Toriyama's head they have, would love to see that for ourselves though, I imagine it would be very emotional.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:41 pm

voltlunok wrote:
Cipher wrote:#18, because it's actual bullshit she isn't joining fights.

Ya know, I will say that both androids actually are heavily underused...it would be nice to have #17 expanded upon further then the interview with Toriyama, He even says that he's reunited with 18 a couple times! Least in Toriyama's head they have, would love to see that for ourselves though, I imagine it would be very emotional.
I think it would be more funny than emotional. I mean, can you imagine #17's reaction when he finds out who his brother-in-law is. :P

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 pm

voltlunok wrote:Ya know, I will say that both androids actually are heavily underused...it would be nice to have #17 expanded upon further then the interview with Toriyama, He even says that he's reunited with 18 a couple times! Least in Toriyama's head they have, would love to see that for ourselves though, I imagine it would be very emotional.
I don't think it's equivalent. #17 isn't part of the main cast. You literally have to come up with a reason to keep #18 out of the action.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:31 pm

Definitely #18. I think she should have become a more active member of the team considering how well she was able to beat down a super saiyan in the android arc.
Trans rights, now!

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:12 am

Cipher wrote:
voltlunok wrote:Ya know, I will say that both androids actually are heavily underused...it would be nice to have #17 expanded upon further then the interview with Toriyama, He even says that he's reunited with 18 a couple times! Least in Toriyama's head they have, would love to see that for ourselves though, I imagine it would be very emotional.
I don't think it's equivalent. #17 isn't part of the main cast. You literally have to come up with a reason to keep #18 out of the action.
I guess I poorly worded things, my bad! It is a shame that 18 isn't used much even though she is one of the higher ranking members of the team in terms of power. But I am also saying that it would be nice to see the story that Toriyama has thought of for 17, that it's clear he has or had plans for 17. Both are underused in their own way. Plus it'd be nice to have two asskicking androids!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:22 am

17 is also Krillin's brother-in-law and Marron's uncle.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:02 am

I want to see Uub and Pan as active fighters. Uub is Buu's reincarnation, which already qualifies him to be a natural badass. I would like to see Pan take a complete 360 from GT. No whining. I would like to see her and Bra take on fighting like the mes without reverting back to being afraid of not looking feminine. I would like to see all of the younger ones acting as either training to be or fighting as the next generations fighters.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 am

Cipher wrote: Toei managed to do right by her at least once or twice after the Cell arc;
What were those times?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Lunch, #17, #18, Dr Gero, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Roshi, Krillin, Oob... fuck, just about all of the humans and fair share of the supporting cast are underused.
This.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Sinestro wrote:
Cipher wrote: Toei managed to do right by her at least once or twice after the Cell arc;
What were those times?
I believe once in GT with Super 17 and maybe the other is the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai. I'm not sure.

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Yeah, 18 is offensively underused. 2015, Toriyama.