Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:44 pm

They are both terrible but if you're getting one version get the Orange bricks.

The Orange bricks are a better buy because at least the box art for the orange bricks looks good on a shelf.
Whereas the the cover art for the blu-rays is awful, and there is no spine art, so displaying the blu-rays takes up more space and looks worse.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

User avatar
Vegitofaxx
Regular
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:52 pm
Location: The northern west side of east Denmark, in space.

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Vegitofaxx » Tue May 05, 2015 4:46 pm

clutchins wrote:
Vegitofaxx wrote:
Ajaylikesgaming wrote:Image
I know this is an old post, but Ginyu's head should be censored there.
Why's that?
It's just me fooling around, but it kinda looks like a butt.

explained the joke, no longer funny(at least to me)
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:They are both terrible but if you're getting one version get the Orange bricks.

The Orange bricks are a better buy because at least the box art for the orange bricks looks good on a shelf.
Whereas the the cover art for the blu-rays is awful, and there is no spine art, so displaying the blu-rays takes up more space and looks worse.
But the spine art on the orange bricks requires you to throw away part of the box to even see. That's one of the dumbest things about them. And how would the Blu-rays take up more room? Each one of them is thinner than one orange brick. And I also can't agree with buying a video product based on its cover art.

If someone was asking whether or not to buy one or the other, I'd definitely say the Blu-rays... provided that they couldn't get the orange bricks for substantially cheaper. They are the better product. I just don't think, in regards to the original query, that it's worth "upgrading" to the Blu-rays if you already have the orange bricks.

But if I REALLY had to give a judgment... don't spend money on either. Don't line FUNimation's pocketbooks for the privilege of disrespecting you.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Don't line FUNimation's pocketbooks for the privilege of disrespecting you.
I'm not entirely certain that "disrespect" is the correct verb here. Granted, they did make a fair amount of false statements when they explained their remastering process for the orange bricks, so it may indeed be appropriate to use the term "disrespect" there. On the other hand, the production of the blu-ray* season sets seems to be a direct response to consumer feedback in surveys.

That doesn't make it OK, of course. I just think we're dealing with a slightly different situation here, in the sense that when FUNimation made the orange bricks, they went about making them in a rather disrespectful manner, littered with claims that were false and, at times, not even theirs to make (who were they to call a 16:9 aspect ratio "the way DBZ was meant to be seen"?), whereas with the blu-ray season sets, now they're actually giving the majority of their consumers--most of whom, let's be honest, are not particularly informed--what they want.

*By the way, quick question about grammar, because I honestly don't know in this particular case...is "blu-ray" capitalized, or not?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16593
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 05, 2015 6:06 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:*By the way, quick question about grammar, because I honestly don't know in this particular case...is "blu-ray" capitalized, or not?
Yes. It's a proper noun. It's a named product, rather than a generic product description (like a "disc" or a "tape"). Its correct written form is "Blu-ray" with a capital "B" and a hyphen.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Perhaps you're right. While I do stand by that term in regards to the orange bricks (and for the reason you mentioned), perhaps it is not applicable to the Blu-rays.

And to answer your question, the full term for the medium is "Blu-ray Disc" with an abbreviation of BD. The B is capitalized. The r is not.

EDIT: And Mike beat me. :mrgreen:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:And to answer your question, the full term for the medium is "Blu-ray Disc" with an abbreviation of BD. The B is capitalized. The r is not.
VegettoEX wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:*By the way, quick question about grammar, because I honestly don't know in this particular case...is "blu-ray" capitalized, or not?
Yes. It's a proper noun. It's a named product, rather than a generic product description (like a "disc" or a "tape"). Its correct written form is "Blu-ray" with a capital "B" and a hyphen.
Haha, much obliged. I've seen it used so many different ways ("Blu-Ray," "Blu-ray," "blu-ray"), and now the mystery has finally be laid to rest. Thank you both.

And for that matter, thanks to everyone for the comparisons and screenshots!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 pm

I'd vouch for the Season DVD sets over the Blu-ray Season sets.

1) The picture quality isn't necessarily a whole lot.
2) If you're lucky you get the booklets which are sorta cool to have as collectibles (managed to collect Z 1-9 + GT 1-2 but never got DB 1-5).
3) Features Japanese title episodes.
4) Artwork on disc (the Blu-ray discs are just.. text and such)

You could say that with Blu-rays the discs are kept in better condition but the same could go for DVDs as it's just a matter of being careful not to ruin them. I have a Blu-ray which is nearly scratchless but due to a deep scratch it came with it just skipped an entire scene (I got a refund for it anyway rather than sending back to Japan).

The later seasons on DVD look really good in comparison to the early ones but having watched the Dragon Box Z sets it just didn't feel right with how different of an experience it was and all. I've got the superior release so why bother with inferiors.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Haha, much obliged. I've seen it used so many different ways ("Blu-Ray," "Blu-ray," "blu-ray"), and now the mystery has finally be laid to rest. Thank you both.

And for that matter, thanks to everyone for the comparisons and screenshots!
The proper spelling has always been Blu-ray and will always be. It even says on the top of each Blu-ray cover/case.

To me people who write "Blu Ray", "Blue Ray" and "Blu-Ray" just annoy the heck out of it because that is not how it's properly spelt, like at all!
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:They are both terrible but if you're getting one version get the Orange bricks.

The Orange bricks are a better buy because at least the box art for the orange bricks looks good on a shelf.
Whereas the the cover art for the blu-rays is awful, and there is no spine art, so displaying the blu-rays takes up more space and looks worse.
But the spine art on the orange bricks requires you to throw away part of the box to even see. That's one of the dumbest things about them. And how would the Blu-rays take up more room?
The Blu-rays Box art is on the cover. If one were to display the cover"art" [sic] then when compiled together there is essentially a giant poster which is wider than the orange brick spine art.

Image
Image
Image
Image
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Well, then... don't do that. I dunno. I just don't see why you'd even want to, or especially why that would be a factor when purchasing something like this. Hell, with my Dragon Boxes, I display them with the box spines facing out, not the Goku/Gohan image on the other side because I'd rather see *what* it is contained in it than a non-indicative picture. If that's what you like, then more power to you. Maybe I just find it especially silly due to the orange bricks having designed their spine art so stupidly. But I just can't understand why "not being able to see the cover art when it's in a bookshelf" is a consideration, especially when 99% of books/DVD/Blu-rays are like that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, then... don't do that. I dunno. I just don't see why you'd even want to, or especially why that would be a factor when purchasing something like this. Hell, with my Dragon Boxes, I display them with the box spines facing out, not the Goku/Gohan image on the other side because I'd rather see *what* it is contained in it than a non-indicative picture. If that's what you like, then more power to you. Maybe I just find it especially silly due to the orange bricks having designed their spine art so stupidly. But I just can't understand why "not being able to see the cover art when it's in a bookshelf" is a consideration, especially when 99% of books/DVD/Blu-rays are like that.
For me displaying the goods is definitely part of my enjoyment since I cannot watch every episode simultaneously.

Here's an older photo of my shelf (My wife and I are in the process of moving so a lot is boxed up):
Image
Owning all the bricks (purchased before I found Kanzenshuu lol), the singles (they're in the leather cases) and the dragon boxes, I can tell you that I enjoy having each on display.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by ss4songoku » Wed May 06, 2015 3:09 am

Go with the Blu-rays, they are far from perfect but still much better tha the orange bricks.

User avatar
TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed May 06, 2015 6:14 am

Both are a far cry from what I would consider to be ideal releases, but the remastering process for the Blu-ray version was done with more care than the Orange Bricks.

I don't think the OBs have any advantage (apart from being cheaper and running on cheaper hardware), while the Blu-ray seasons have several. The picture and color are a lot better (less bleeding and saturation, particularly in the later sets), selective cropping and shot expansion (as opposed to just chopping the top and bottom off), a cleaned up Japanese Audio track, the fact that Blu-ray discs are just that much more durable and typically are packaged in a manner that takes a lot less shelf space.

So, yeah, I say Blu-ray's the way to go.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6117
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:12 pm

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:Both are a far cry from what I would consider to be ideal releases, but the remastering process for the Blu-ray version was done with more care than the Orange Bricks.

I don't think the OBs have any advantage (apart from being cheaper and running on cheaper hardware), while the Blu-ray seasons have several. The picture and color are a lot better (less bleeding and saturation, particularly in the later sets), selective cropping and shot expansion (as opposed to just chopping the top and bottom off), a cleaned up Japanese Audio track, the fact that Blu-ray discs are just that much more durable and typically are packaged in a manner that takes a lot less shelf space.

So, yeah, I say Blu-ray's the way to go.
The horrible, shaky panning isn't "more care":

Orange Brick_______________________________________________________ Blu-ray
Image

Look at the horizon line and the levitating rocks. They shift around randomly and nauseatingly in the Blu-ray footage. That shot didn't need any panning whatsoever for the 16x9 crop. In fact, it cuts off MORE of Goku's hair when he jerks his head back! What the hell was the point of that? It's not just that shot either, that entire scene is filled with unnatural panning like this, and it's a very important and iconic scene.


Also, the colors are definitely not better for the first few sets at least:
The last few sets are probably better overall (though, not terribly so), even with their flaws, but if you already have the Orange Bricks, then I can't recommend replacing one shit product with one slightly less shit one.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

uzuni
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by uzuni » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm

I'd contend that while the Blu-rays look superior for the first three seasons, the Orange Bricks look superior from season 4 onward. Specifically, starting from episode 128, it no longer has that blisteringly bright contrast in its color.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:38 pm

I Prefer the blu-rays, but only because they take up less space in my trash can.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Quite frankly they are both crappy releases for obvious reasons (DNR'ed into oblivion, incorrect aspect ratio.etc) but the BD seasons are at the very least small improvements over the Orange bricks in regard to the fact that they are not straight center cropped but selectively similar to Kai.They also fixed the disappearing line issue that plagued the earlier brick seasons which was a result of the automated dirt removal process they ran the film through, but those improvements still don't outweigh the fact that they still have a butt load of issues for the few that were corrected. As someone who wants to watch the show in the format it was intended to be seen in, buying the Dragon Boxes off of eBay has been the only way for me to really have a good proper release that isn't something garbage quality proffered by FUNimation's in some cases deceptive marketing. It's a darn shame that DBZ doesn't have a decent looking release here in the U.S. in it's original 4:3 aspect ratio, free of DNR and with all audio options.

If you must settle for one of these two, i would somewhat say the DVD's are somewhat better than the BD's judging from some of the comparison i have seen.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm

It's pretty much all a moot point anyway considering that the releases were geared towards casual viewing audiences and not media tech enthusiasts.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3772
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm

ZodaEX wrote:I Prefer the blu-rays, but only because they take up less space in my trash can.
Best answer to this question.
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-Ray Season Sets

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 pm

Considering the Blu-ray's made my eyes hurt upon viewing them and the orange bricks did not, I'd say the orange bricks, but the BD quality isn't something to sneeze at either.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Post Reply