Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm looking into purchasing the show again, regarding to the z portion specifically, i only own the orange bricks (i have the blue bricks and gt bricks as well from the other two series). I am a big fan who is now interested in maybe trying kai after seeing it on toonami. I was wondering if there was any differences in shopping for kai dvd's. My four questions for the Kanzenshuu community are the following;

Is there an uncut vs cut kai dvd?
How do i know which music score i am purchasing if there was some sort of change mid production?
Is there a release including both dvd and blu ray?
Does one method of purchase benefit and support the franchise more than another?

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Careless Saiyajin wrote:Is there an uncut vs cut kai dvd?
How do i know which music score i am purchasing if there was some sort of change mid production?
Is there a release including both dvd and blu ray?
Does one method of purchase benefit and support the franchise more than another?
1. I don't have the season sets, just parts 1-7 which is uncut and I think the season sets are uncut too.

2. The parts have to Yamamoto score while the season sets have Kikuchi's soundtrack.

3. As far as I know, no.

4. Maybe, the season sets have more episodes, though.
Last edited by One_Instance on Mon May 04, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks for your response, trying to figure out part vs seasons differences to make a better decision on which is worth buying. Additionally i wonder which score the majority of people favor around here. I'm going to search around for musical score comparisons for kai.
I hope to see more kanzenshuu goer opinions as time goes on. :D

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 4:46 pm

1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-Ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.

User avatar
Haseowolf
Regular
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Haseowolf » Mon May 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Regarding your first question I can confidently tell you that there are zero cut/edited Kai releases here in the states. The edited stuff is solely for the TV broadcast.
Follow me,@saber_breaker, on Twitter too!
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel, Two Gay Guys Play.
Steam: Saber_Breaker

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score
Thanks for correcting me on that, I just looked at the first 3 parts and assumed it was on all of them.

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-Ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What makes you say the season sets are the best way to go? I feel like i agree though. As for the issue of DVD vs. Blu ray, it's really bothering me because i think i want to watch on xbox 360 but i wish i owned blu ray for future's sake and because technically i could watch on my laptop.
The blu ray vs DVD for the kai release thing is killing me, is there a significant difference?

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17743
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by ABED » Mon May 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Careless Saiyajin wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-Ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What makes you say the season sets are the best way to go? I feel like i agree though. As for the issue of DVD vs. Blu ray, it's really bothering me because i think i want to watch on xbox 360 but i wish i owned blu ray for future's sake and because technically i could watch on my laptop.
The blu ray vs DVD for the kai release thing is killing me, is there a significant difference?
Honestly there's not much difference between the dvd and the blu ray for Kai. Even the price are within a couple dollars of each other.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 5:22 pm

ABED wrote:
Careless Saiyajin wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-Ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What makes you say the season sets are the best way to go? I feel like i agree though. As for the issue of DVD vs. Blu ray, it's really bothering me because i think i want to watch on xbox 360 but i wish i owned blu ray for future's sake and because technically i could watch on my laptop.
The blu ray vs DVD for the kai release thing is killing me, is there a significant difference?
Honestly there's not much difference between the dvd and the blu ray for Kai. Even the price are within a couple dollars of each other.
My concern is that for right now i need the DVD in order to watch the show on my Xbox 360, however in the future i suppose i would want the blu ray. I really want the quality. I'm searching around to find the true difference, i am hoping the DVD is of high quality.
Last edited by Careless Saiyajin on Mon May 04, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Careless Saiyajin wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-Ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What makes you say the season sets are the best way to go? I feel like i agree though. As for the issue of DVD vs. Blu ray, it's really bothering me because i think i want to watch on xbox 360 but i wish i owned blu ray for future's sake and because technically i could watch on my laptop.
The blu ray vs DVD for the kai release thing is killing me, is there a significant difference?
There's no significant difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray version of DBZ Kai. The images will just look a little sharper on Blu-Ray.

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Hopefully, that will help. If you really want the quality you could just wait until you have something you can play it on. Or if the difference isn't really all that appealing to you, go ahead and get the regular DVD now. If need be, you can look at another comparison image here.
Last edited by One_Instance on Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 pm

One_Instance wrote:
Hopefully, that will help. If you really want the quality you could just wait until you have something you can play it on. Or if the difference isn't really all that appealing to you, go ahead and get the regular DVD now.
Well done response, they both seem to have their own appeal. I wonder if i prefer the less washed out more original appearing version or the blu ray with the colors that certainly pop!

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Seeing that comparison gives me hope that the "green tint" plaguing DB Kai 2.0. will be amended by Funimation come the time that they release the season sets.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Ajay » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 pm

I've always questioned that comparison's quality. My Japanese Blu-ray does not look like that:
It's far more akin to the DVD shot.

Here's the shot from my US Blu-ray:
None of them look like that comparison image.

It's MarcFBR's image, and he certainly knows his stuff, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon May 04, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Does anybody happen to have video comparisons? I had searched around, however i could only find Kai vs Z.

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 5:42 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I've always questioned that comparison's quality. My Japanese Blu-ray does not look like that:
It's far more akin to the DVD shot.

Here's the shot from my US Blu-ray:
None of them look like that comparison image.

It's MarcFBR's image, and he certainly knows his stuff, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.
That's interesting. Maybe the pictures were switched by mistake.

User avatar
Careless Saiyajin
Regular
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Mon May 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Yeah so if anybody finds more Kai Blu ray vs. Kai DVD comparison pictures or more preferably comparison videos, that would be great.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What? Only if you don't care about the background music because if you do you wouldn't say that.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 6:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:1) All of the DVD releases on Kai are uncut

2) Only Dragon Ball Kai from Part 1 - 4 have the Yamamoto score. Every English release from Part 5 - 8 and the Season 1 - 4 sets have the Kikuchi score

3) No. There is no release that include both DVD and Blu-ray

4) The season sets (1-4) are the best way to go for me, personally.
What? Only if you don't care about the background music because if you do you wouldn't say that.
There are only 39 episodes that have the Yamamoto track that have been released, it makes since to get the season sets since they have more episodes per set.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Question regarding Dragon Ball releases

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 6:33 pm

If the fan values the original soundtrack over quantity then he/she will get the Parts over the Season sets, but if not, Season sets are okay anyway. I wouldn't get them myself as I loathe the replacement score.

Just waiting for FUNimation's Kai 2.0 Blu-ray announcement.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Post Reply