The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Re: The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Post by songohan619 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:28 am

sangofe wrote:
songohan619 wrote:Actually, some sources say that the DB Anime aired in Norway many years ago!
Those aren't true.
You do not know that for sure!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri May 08, 2015 10:36 am

DerekPadula wrote:I'll take care of the remaining stuff tomorrow, but I wanted to pass this along because I thought it was cool. I just received an email from Caspar Phillipson, the Danish voice of Goku, and he said:

"I think it is correct that it must have aired 2003 to start off with, so I think the Danish fan you are in touch with is right. And yes indeed, we did dub based on the French version. It was quite a different experience to suddenly work with an American version when we did the dvd-movies. We did, however, spend quite some time making a sincere and original Danish version, regardless of which material we were dubbing from. Directed by Jan Tellefsen, who became and remains a great friend through our hours in the booth."

It's nice to get an inside perspective like that. Also, perhaps more importantly, Caspar's story contradicts this bit of info added to this thread earlier, where it says, "Dragon Ball Z movies 1-9 and both of the TV specials were released on DVD and VHS in a 4:3 format, with a dub based on the AB Groupe’s “Big Green” dub, but with Danish manga names like in the televised Dragon Ball Z series."

> Caspar is saying that the films were based on the American version, not the AB Groupe version. Any comments from the Danish fans here?

The Danish dub premiered August 26th 2002, according to the announcement in vol 29.

As for the comment about "the American version", I guess he just assumed the English-language dub they were working off was from America rather than France. The movie dubs are definitely dubbed from the AB Groupe dub.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri May 08, 2015 11:44 am

DerekPadula wrote:Portugal
Manga
Then in 2010 the manga was republished by ASA in partnership with the Diário de Notícias newspaper, in its original Japanese right to left format at 192 pages each. But the printing was suspended after Volume 18.
Just to clarify: The manga wasn't published in partnership with the newspaper. ASA simply struck a deal to have the first volume released with the newspaper (not sure if for free, or for a bit extra) as a way of marketting it.
Ironically, the marketting was so widespread, I only learned about it later through Kanzenshuu.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Puto wrote:What you have in the Portugal section is all correct, but it's missing the fact that they reran it on SIC Radical on and off after SIC Gold stopped being a thing, and in fact it's still rerunning there to this day. They also swapped it for Kai in there for a while, subtitled (first 65 episodes were translated from the FUNimation dub but put on top of Japanese audio, episodes 66-98 were properly translated from Japanese).
Wow, that's quite impressive that they're still airing it to this day.

They never managed to move the Dragon Ball series (DB, Z, GT) to SIC Kids did they?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Fri May 08, 2015 2:08 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They never managed to move the Dragon Ball series (DB, Z, GT) to SIC Kids did they?
They aired some of the Z movies, though recently the 3rd Dragon Ball movie aired on BIGGS.
SIC Radical just announced they'll be airing Dragon Ball during lunch, if I'm not mistaken. And they still air Z in the morning.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 pm

I'll try to summarize the Venezuela history part. Mostly without dates :(

Dragon Ball was broadcasted from 4:00PM to 4:30 (right before Samurai X AKA Rurouni Kenshin ) on Televen (channel 13 no cable back then).We had the original Latinamerican version that everyone had except for Brazil of course. The broadcast would repeat itself up until Krillin died for the first time. It would go back to episode 1. Televen did this a number of times and hell, they capitalized in the opportunity of having more viewers for the new episodes and decided to name the new episodes "Dragon Ball RP" for some reason. the DBRP lasted up until the final fight between Goku and Piccolo Daimaoh.Just to make clear, only the commercials were given the name DBRP.

Dragon Ball Z had the same issue if I can recall correctly. We were sent back to Raditz on two different times. No changes that I can remember until the Majin Buu saga where episodes were made an hour long on Thursdays from 6 to 7. These episodes were labeled "especiales" or specials.

Once Z ended, we went into hiatus for years. Dragon Ball GT was hyped in commercials but started only years later.

Dragon Ball in Venezuela was not censored at all.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Rukura wrote:They aired some of the Z movies, though recently the 3rd Dragon Ball movie aired on BIGGS.
SIC Radical just announced they'll be airing Dragon Ball during lunch, if I'm not mistaken. And they still air Z in the morning.
Just like the old times? Oh that's neat of them to do. I'll see to it that I give it a watch sometime.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri May 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about Biggs. Biggs has now aired the first three movies (so far).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri May 08, 2015 11:25 pm

I updated the United Kingdom. Please check it for accuracy.

Updated the Polish section. Thanks for the story about the Uwaga! show. That was so fascinating. Is the Poland section good now?

Regarding Denmark, I changed the premiere date of Dragon Ball Z episode 1 from "2003" to "August 26, 2002." I'm going to ignore Caspar's comment, because I agree with your conclusions.

Updated the Portugal section.

I created the Venezuela section. Can anyone provide a date for the premiere of the first episode of each of the three series, or at least a year? Did Venezuela ever receive the manga? If so, what are the details of this?

The United States section is in development, but it's so convoluted. The document is already at 7 pages, and I had intended to keep it simple. So I'll post that when it's ready. Japan too.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 am

The Spain and Mexico sections still contain mistakes after I and several other users corrected them.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat May 09, 2015 6:50 am

DerekPadula wrote:Updated the Polish section. Thanks for the story about the Uwaga! show. That was so fascinating. Is the Poland section good now?
There were no subtitles on RTL7. Subtitled cartoons on TV were really unknown that time here.
VHS from Planet Manga were also with lector.
Also Uwaga... everyone and their mother forgo about it next day when they found another scandalous topic... but younger fan love to bring this when they want to prove how discriminated they are.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat May 09, 2015 8:32 am

Re Portugal: The DeAgostini releases were NOT flipped, I'm certain. It was my first experience with a right to left comic book.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat May 09, 2015 8:49 am

DerekPadula wrote:I updated the United Kingdom. Please check it for accuracy.
Sorry to nitpick but I noticed after describing DBZ airing on the British Comedy Network it says; "The FUNimation dub also aired, with broadcasters switching between the two at random intervals". This is a little vague on the many dub switches and it also implies that the Funimation dub aired on the British Comedy Network which didn't happen. To my knowledge the dub switches only occurred during the show's Cartoon Network/Toonami/CNX run.

I don't have all the dates so hopefully someone can provide those but I can clarify when the show switched dubs:
- Cartoon Network (UK) aired DBZ with the Ocean/Saban dub of episodes 1-53.
- The Funimation in house dub of episodes 54-107 were shown.
- 108-276 were the Ocean/Westwood dub as you've already detailed, the show switched channels to CNX in this era sometime during the Majin Buu/Fusion saga (CNX was a more adult oriented/anime friendly spin off channel of Cartoon Network UK).

- The Blue Water dub of GT was shown soon after Z concluded. GT along with DB featured Japanese background music aside from opening and closing credits.
(Blue Water studios was/is a subsidiary of Ocean Productions). Dragonball GT (BW dub) premiered on CNX sometime in early 2003 as we can see from forum posts such as this & this.

- The Dragonball Blue Water dub also aired after GT concluded (Somewhere during the Blue Water era CNX became Toonami, it still remained it's own channel however).
I can't find any dates for when Dragonball first aired but I remember watching it on the Toonami channel throughout most of 2004.

- The DBZ movies premiered on Toonami in 2005 with the "Big Green" dubs, I previously linked to a forum post which detailed the UK premiere airing dates

Other issues:

I don't think it was every truly confirmed whether or not the Westwood Ocean dub was produced purely to "comply with Canadian broadcasting standards" especially considering it aired in Netherlands and the UK long before Canada. I have my own theories on that but I'll avoid them in this thread as facts are what's most important.

Probably not too relevant but the premiere of the Fusion saga, for whatever reason, featured Funimation's dub for roughly the first half of the saga. During reruns of the show this was switched back to the Ocean version of the episodes.

"But in terms of home videos, the United Kingdom didn’t see a local release until Manga Entertainment published Season 1 of FUNimation’s orange bricks on July 2, 2012."
- There were at least two (maybe 3, I can't remember) DVD and VHS releases of the early DBZ movies in the UK. These contained the "Big Green" dubs and were apparently produced by Warner. Here's Amazon links to both movies: Dragonball Z: Super Saiya Son Goku & Dragonball Z: Super Battle In The World
_________

Edit: also noticed in the SA section you wrote "The South African broadcast followed in the footsteps of the UK broadcast."
This might confuse people into thinking they also got the same dub switches, which they did not, they seemed to get the same treatment Australia got both in terms of broadcasts and home releases. I'm not sure if this continued after DBZ's decline in popularity though.
Last edited by NitroEX on Sat May 09, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat May 09, 2015 8:56 am

No Manga for Venezuela, and the date all I have is the year, 1994.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat May 09, 2015 10:29 am

In Australia i'm pretty sure it was also concurrently aired on the Australian version of Cartoon Network.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Sun May 10, 2015 1:20 am

Some corrections and extra information for Australia:

Dragon Ball Z aired concurrently on both Network Ten and Cartoon Network, as part of it's Toonami block.
Network Ten was always slightly ahead of Cartoon Network.
The first two seasons (the Ocean dub seasons) were combined into Season 1.
Dragon Ball Z finished it's run in 2003 on both Cartoon Network and Ten.

Dragon Ball began on Cartoon Network (and only CN) in early 2002, and finished in early 2004.
Dragon Ball GT began on CN in April 2004, and finished some time in 2005. Also on Ten, but I'm unsure of the dates.
The Z movie specials and the Z/GT T.V specials were aired on Cartoon Network, exclusively I'm pretty sure.

I'm about 50/50 on the "Ultimate Uncut" episodes airing on CN in 2005-2006, but that's not sure enough to be worth including.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:24 am

So is there any history of Dragon Ball in Russia and Armenia?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 10, 2015 3:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:So is there any history of Dragon Ball in Russia?
Do we have any Russian members? I remember that I saw some clips on youtube in russian from Kai.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun May 10, 2015 4:36 am

MCDaveG wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:So is there any history of Dragon Ball in Russia?
Do we have any Russian members? I remember that I saw some clips on youtube in russian from Kai.
Kai? I know they got DBZ, but didn't know about Kai.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 10, 2015 4:59 am

To be precise 26 peisodes of Z dubbed for 2x2 and IIRC some with lector scattered here and there. Manga up to 8th volume translated in 2010-2011.
Russian Net... Please can anyone give my keyboard back?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food