The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DerekPadula
Regular

Re: The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Post by DerekPadula » Sun May 10, 2015 11:39 am

I added a Russian section. Any idea when it first premiered? According to the 2x2 article on Wikipedia, they rebranded themselves in 2002 and started airing anime then. So is that when it aired? Anyone have a specific date of episode 1?

The Russian manga was published by Comix-ART. Unfortunately my internet browser protection service lists their site as unsafe, so I can't confirm anything more on their Dragon Ball info. And their Wikipedia page is lacking info in both English and Russian. They were founded in 2008, so it makes sense that the Russian manga premiered in 2010, but can someone provide a source of proof along with a specific date?

- Been too busy for the rest of the updates, but I'll get to them soonish.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

SUnicron

Post by SUnicron » Sun May 10, 2015 12:30 pm

From what I can remember and after some quick research, here's what I know of the Netherlands.

DBZ started airing on Cartoon Network in 2000 (according to this site Aughst 28th). This was the Ocean Dub, and then the well known switch to Funimation. Then again back to Ocean starting with the Trunks/Android saga. DBZ was one of the top shows back then, getting awesome commercials like this. In the weekends there was "Dragon Ball Z Rewind" where they re-aired all the episodes that aired during the week.

At some point in 2002 Cartoon Network stopped as a public tv channel (went behind the decoder as we say, don't know if that's an English phrase) and that seemed to be it. However, TV channel Yorkiddin (kids block of the Yorin TV channel) made a deal with CN and they aired a "Yorkiddin Presents Cartoon Network" block every afternoon with CN shows, including DBZ. This was fall of 2002. You can see the logo in this clip. This was later renamed to Toonami.
I swear at some point they again switched to Funimation for a couple of episodes (I think the later part of the Kid Buu saga), but I can't find any sources for this, so it may be just me.

After Z ended Toonami aired GT, which was the Bluewater dub.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Last volume
http://www.comix-art.ru/node/227
That's all info you can get- the site is really minimalistic and forum seems to be dead since 2012.

For anime... From what I've found on fora and FB, 2x2 started airing Z in 2011(!?) on Sunday morning then stopped after 26 episodes because of reasons. The longest elaborate I've found on this topic is thisblog post.
---
I just want to say that I'm not Russian :P
Last edited by Eire on Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Eire wrote:To be precise 26 peisodes of Z dubbed for 2x2 and IIRC some with lector scattered here and there. Manga up to 8th volume translated in 2010-2011.
Russian Net... Please can anyone give my keyboard back?

Uh, I am pretty sure they got further than 26 episodes. Not sure how far, but kei17 would know.4

*edit: I'm actually not 100% positive...*
Last edited by sangofe on Sun May 10, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 10, 2015 12:50 pm

It would be appreciated, because source I can't post here claims that's all that was aired with dub. And they are usually right when it comes to Russian media ;)
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 am

DerekPadula wrote:I know nothing about the Hong Kong version of the series. Can someone here provide that info? Taiwan, China, and Korea would be good too. Also Southeast Asian countries.
Information I could find on the Taiwanese history of the series:

Republic of China (Taiwan)
[spoiler]In Taiwan the series is known as 七龍珠 (Seven Dragon Pearls).

Manga
The manga was published in Taiwan by Tong Li Publishing Company (東立出版社) from 1992-1995. Tong Li has also published Chinese language editions of the Kanzenban volumes in Taiwan.

There were also unauthorized Taiwanese editions by Qingwen Publishing House (青文出版社未) where the series was called "Son of Shenlong" (神龍的兒子).

Anime
The DB anime aired in Taiwan (I couldn't find the airdates) on CTV (中視), with re-airings on TTV (台視) and GTV (八大電視). There was also an unauthorized Taiwanese VHS release where the series was called "Small Scientific Wukong" (科學小悟空).

The Z anime aired from August 3, 1997 to August 11, 2002 on Chinese Satellite Channel (衛視中文台), which also aired GT (couldn't find the air dates).

Dragon Ball Kai (1-98) first aired on TTV from January 1, 2011 until December 22, 2012. The Buu episodes of Kai were first broadcast on Republic TV Wireless (民視無線台) from June 22 to September 24, 2015. The episodes looped back to episode 99 the next day, and concluded on New Year's Eve.

Both parts of Kai were re-run on STAR Chinese Movies (衛視電影台), with 1-98 airing from February 9 to April 11, 2015, in anticipation of the Buu Arc episodes (99-167), which were broadcast on the same channel later that year (October 27 to December 14, immediately followed by another rebroadcast of episodes 1-98), following the original airing on Republic TV Wireless.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (七龍珠Z劇場版:神與神) was released in Taiwanese theaters on October 25, 2013, with its home video release coming on Janurary 10, 2014, and its TV premiere July 13, 2014 on the Eastern Forest Movie Channel (東森電影台).

The Taiwanese theatrical release of Resurrection of "F" (七龍珠Z 復活的「F」) came less than a month after the Japanese one, on May 1, 2015. Echoing other international releases, the DVD release came much sooner than Battle of Gods as well, only six months later on November 19.

Dragon Ball Super began its Taiwanese broadcast in July of 2016. It aired on Republic TV Wireless (where the Buu arc of Kai was first broadcast) starting on July 1. However, they only broadcast the first 52 episodes, ending on September 14. Slightly before this, the series began airing on Cartoon Network, beginning August 21 with episode 1 and still ongoing.

Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins
In November of 1991, an unauthorized Taiwanese live action film adaptation of Dragon Ball was released, called "New Dragon Ball" (新七龍珠, "New Seven Dragon Pearls"), better known in English by the title of its 2000 American home video release, "Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins." The film was directed by Chen Junliang (陳俊良) and produced by Arthouse Company Ltd. (藝舍有限公司).

The film loosely follows the plot of Dragon Ball movie 1 (The Legend of Shenlong), although the film's villains have been adapted, and Goku's grandfather Son Gohan is alive and survives to the end of the film. King Gurumes became the Alien Demon King (外星魔王), and his assistants Pasta and Bongo became Maria (瑪琍亞) and Sibada (斯巴達). Other significant name changes include Pansy becoming Zhenzhen (珍珍), Yamcha becoming Leping (樂平; probably an allusion to the fact that Yamcha wears the first character "Le"/樂 on his original green outfit), Oolong becoming "Little Pig" (小豬), and Bulma becoming "Girl" (丫頭). Aside from the Dragon Balls being called "Dragon Pearls," none of these name changes reflect the actual Chinese names used in Taiwan. The film received an English dub, which changed the characters' names even further (e.g. Alien Demon King became "King Horn," Maria became "Malilia"), and also changed the names of characters whose names weren't changed in the original Chinese language version (e.g. Son Gohan became "Sparkle," Goku became "Monkey Boy," and the Turtle Hermit became "Turtle Man"). The English dub also literally translated the authorized Chinese name of the Dragon Balls as "Dragon Pearls," rather than using the proper English name for them.

In 2007 the film was re-released in an "Ultimate Edition" (加强版, "enhanced edition"), which featured some added CGI animated scenes and CGI special effects, including replacing the original version's puppet of Shenlong with a CGI version.[/spoiler]
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:18 am

Dragon Ball Z was the first Dragon Ball show to air in New Zealand on TV3 back in 2000, Z gained a HUGE following among us kids when it aired from 2000-2003.
Afterwards Dragon Ball GT aired on TV3 in 2004, these two shows were the only Dragon Ball shows to air on non-cable television.

However on Sky Television (our local cable service), we have Cartoon Network and Dragon Ball, Z and GT all aired on that channel on and off during the 2000s up until 2013 when the original broadcast of Kai ended it's run.
In 2000, Dragon Ball Z was SO BIG that local rockband Tadpole created a Music Video for it's song "Better Days" which paid tribute to Dragon Ball to the point that the band were warriors like the Dragon Team and were fighting with a critic (who was based on Piccolo and Nappa) on Namek.

I think there are still a huge group of people in my age group that still like Dragon Ball, but the following across generations is not the same as Pokemon.

and that's how the history of Dragon Ball was like in New Zealand.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:52 am

AnzuMazaki wrote:Dragon Ball Z was the first Dragon Ball show to air in New Zealand on TV3 back in 2000, Z gained a HUGE following among us kids when it aired from 2000-2003.
Afterwards Dragon Ball GT aired on TV3 in 2004, these two shows were the only Dragon Ball shows to air on non-cable television.

However on Sky Television (our local cable service), we have Cartoon Network and Dragon Ball, Z and GT all aired on that channel on and off during the 2000s up until 2013 when the original broadcast of Kai ended it's run.
In 2000, Dragon Ball Z was SO BIG that local rockband Tadpole created a Music Video for it's song "Better Days" which paid tribute to Dragon Ball to the point that the band were warriors like the Dragon Team and were fighting with a critic (who was based on Piccolo and Nappa) on Namek.

I think there are still a huge group of people in my age group that still like Dragon Ball, but the following across generations is not the same as Pokemon.

I'm sure it's not over yet ;). We've got Dragon Ball Super comin'!

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:22 am

sangofe wrote:
AnzuMazaki wrote:Dragon Ball Z was the first Dragon Ball show to air in New Zealand on TV3 back in 2000, Z gained a HUGE following among us kids when it aired from 2000-2003.

I'm sure it's not over yet ;). We've got Dragon Ball Super comin'!
Yep ;)
I'm sure we will definately get Super
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 pm

I thought Necroposting was frowned upon.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:18 am

I appreciate the replies and new information. So please keep it coming if you have something to add.

My intent was to use this info in the Dragon Soul paperback edition, so that each time you reach a new country while reading you get a simple breakdown of when and where the series premiered. But it ended up being too technical and trivial, when I wanted this book's focus to be on emotions and feelings. But I'm sure I'll use the info in the future, so please keep at it.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:29 pm

You are a hero, my dude.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:37 am

sangofe wrote:
Eire wrote:To be precise 26 peisodes of Z dubbed for 2x2 and IIRC some with lector scattered here and there. Manga up to 8th volume translated in 2010-2011.
Russian Net... Please can anyone give my keyboard back?

Uh, I am pretty sure they got further than 26 episodes. Not sure how far, but kei17 would know.4

*edit: I'm actually not 100% positive...*
It was actually 26 episodes. 2x2 stopped because of low raitings.
Sorry for my bad english. )=

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 am

No Dragon Ball show has EVER been aired on swedish television. Yeah, it sucks. The only swedish dub of anything DB related are some of the movies that had obscure direct-to-video/DVD releases in the late 90's/early 00's. Not even DBZ Kai ever aired here in Sweden which is notable because the Swedish versions of Nickelodeon and Nick Jr otherwise nowadays air everything that airs on those channels in the states, so DBZ Kai is a very odd exception.

And personally I've always believed that the reason why DBZ never aired here in Sweden back in the days while like every other country in the world got its own dub is because at around that time, the mid 90's, Swedish television went through a real witch-hunt phase regarding violent childrens shows after some kids in Norway killed another kid while imitating the Power Rangers. Any cartoon with violent content got pulled of the air, even rather tame ones like Darkwing Duck. And in this climate it was obviously impossible to import and air DBZ. And even though it ticks me of, I also cant help but suspect that even though this self-impossed ban on violent kids shows was lifted after just a few years, it was probably the decision not to import DBZ back in the 90's that also influenced the decision not to import BDZ Kai just a few years ago. And like I said, that just ticks me of so bad. We are now back to airing all kinds of kids shows with violent content here, and yet DBZ (Kai) is denied airtime because of some stupid "well this particular show is one we chose not to air 20 years ago, so I guess we wont do it now either". Though like I said, this is pure speculation on my part, but I cant see what else could be behind it.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:25 am

Puaru wrote:No Dragon Ball show has EVER been aired on swedish television. Yeah, it sucks. The only swedish dub of anything DB related are some of the movies that had obscure direct-to-video/DVD releases in the late 90's/early 00's. Not even DBZ Kai ever aired here in Sweden which is notable because the Swedish versions of Nickelodeon and Nick Jr otherwise nowadays air everything that airs on those channels in the states, so DBZ Kai is a very odd exception.

And personally I've always believed that the reason why DBZ never aired here in Sweden back in the days while like every other country in the world got its own dub is because at around that time, the mid 90's, Swedish television went through a real witch-hunt phase regarding violent childrens shows after some kids in Norway killed another kid while imitating the Power Rangers. Any cartoon with violent content got pulled of the air, even rather tame ones like Darkwing Duck. And in this climate it was obviously impossible to import and air DBZ. And even though it ticks me of, I also cant help but suspect that even though this self-impossed ban on violent kids shows was lifted after just a few years, it was probably the decision not to import DBZ back in the 90's that also influenced the decision not to import BDZ Kai just a few years ago. And like I said, that just ticks me of so bad. We are now back to airing all kinds of kids shows with violent content here, and yet DBZ (Kai) is denied airtime because of some stupid "well this particular show is one we chose not to air 20 years ago, so I guess we wont do it now either". Though like I said, this is pure speculation on my part, but I cant see what else could be behind it.
We never got DBZ on TV in Norway, either. Denmark got the 105 first episodes of Z and that's it...

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:04 pm

DerekPadula wrote:I appreciate the replies and new information. So please keep it coming if you have something to add.
I already mentioned it a couple of times, but the Spain section still is wildly inaccurate. I'm going to try again, and see if it gets updated :lol:
Anime
The Dragon Ball anime first premiered in 1990, airing the first 26 episodes in two different languages: Spanish (Bola de Dragón) and Catalan (Bola de Drac). As the rest of the episodes got licensed and aired (changing the whole voice cast in both Spanish and Catalan in the process), it received dubs in three aditional languages: Valencian (Bola de Drac), Galician (As Bolas Máxicas) and Basque (Dragoi Bola). The series became a hit, even though it was only aired by regional channels. Around 1993, after a hiatus on the Spanish dub, it was finally picked up by a nation-wide channel, which also aired the remaining episodes in Spanish.

All of the dubs covered the series all the way to GT, except for Valencian, which stopped at the beginning of the Buu saga. In the current decade, Kai has been dubbed into Catalan, Galician and Basque, Battle of Gods has been screened in Spanish, Catalan, Valencian and Basque, and Resurrection F in Spanish, Catalan and Basque. The Spanish dub of Super is set to air in January 2017.

Manga
Dragon Ball was first published in comic book form in May, 1992, by Planeta DeAgostini. Spain was the first country outside of Japan to publish the Dragon Ball manga. It was published in Spanish and Catalan, in two separate editions: the "white series", starting from the beginning of the story, and the "red series", picking up from the end of the Freeza saga, a then-unaired portion of the story. This adaptation enabled other countries in Europe to follow in suit, such as in France, Germany, and Italy.

The first collected volume of Dragon Ball manga was published on May 15, 1995, by Planeta DeAgostini. One volume was published a month until October 15, 1998, when Volume 42 was published.
And I remind you of some other mistakes:
[spoiler]*As it has been said, Catalan isn't a dialect, but a separate language from Spanish.
*The Mexican dub has never aired in Spain (in fact, the European Spanish dub predates the American Spanish dub). The dubbing of the first 26 episodes was done in Barcelona and doesn't have anything to do with Intertrack.
*The French dub has never aired in Spain either. One airing used the French opening in place of the Spanish one, but the series never aired in French.
*High Frequency (Alta Frecuencia) is one of the several studios which worked in the Spanish dub. They simply continued where the Barcelona dub had left off, with no redubbing involved.[/spoiler]

Will I be lucky this time? :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:37 pm

I think you are out of luck, since Kanzenshuu locks up editing of posts after 4 hours have passed. So it will stay the way it is, I'm sorry to say.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Derek, if you would be so kind. Could you list your sources for your Mexico section or PM them to me?
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 pm

I don't have the time to dig up the Mexican info right now because I'm busy publishing Dragon Soul in print. But maybe in a week or so. I suspect that if it's not listed here by someone else, then it was probably something I gathered through research, such as on the Spanish Wikipedia.

To address the suggestion of updating the previous posts, I'm not sure if I can or cannot, but I likewise have been too busy to do it. In any case, I'm sure Kanzenshuu's wiki will have it organized in tip-top form some day.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think you are out of luck, since Kanzenshuu locks up editing of posts after 4 hours have passed. So it will stay the way it is, I'm sorry to say.
Incorrect, I edited a post started one month ago.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.