The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 pm

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but....

DID EVERYONE HERE FORGET ABOUT THE DBZ ARABIC DUB?!

SHINOBI-03 made some posts about it in viewtopic.php?t=11772 (The Dark Secrets of the Arabic Dub), and it unfortunately got locked because I revived it from over 10 years of being unspoken about. HOWEVER, here are most of the censorship issues - https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Arabic_dub

Now I know the Dragon Ball Wiki is a living, breathing group of over 7,000 shitposts they call information with more constantly coming on, but it is pretty acceptable when learning about mostly unknown topics, such as obscure games or lost dubs. The only reason I still care about the Arabic dub is because the theme song is lit and I'm trying to find more information about it. Other than from the Dragon Ball Wiki, does Derek Padula know anything about this highly underrated dub?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 pm

I do know a bit about the Arabic dub from what fans and voice actors have told me.

For example, I spoke with Sean Schemmel about it within the last year. He said Dragon Ball Z is huge in the Middle East, and they invited him to a convention there to be a celebrity guest. He was amazed by how many fans were excited to see him. But also by the censorship.

Sean said that in the Arabic dub they removed all mention of Raditz being Goku's brother. This is because fratricide is an egregious sin in Islam, and they couldn't depict the main character and hero of the series (Goku) killing his brother in the first few episodes.

Other things in DBZ related to Islamic law and beliefs are forbidden. Such as their tails, which are explained as props they attach to their bodies, and the Ozaru transformation, which they explain as a summoned monster that appears to do battle for them. All because they can't show evolution or physical transformations in their media.

Outside of the Middle East, such as in Northern Africa, many fans watch the French dub instead of the Arabic, although the Arabic may air on TV. So even though there is censorship, many fans love the series, and they find ways to watch it uncensored.

This is what I can recall off the top of my head.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:17 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 pm I'm sorry if I sound rude, but....

SHINOBI-03 made some posts about it in viewtopic.php?t=11772 (The Dark Secrets of the Arabic Dub), and it unfortunately got locked because I revived it from over 10 years of being unspoken about. HOWEVER, here are most of the censorship issues - https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Arabic_dub

Now I know the Dragon Ball Wiki is a living, breathing group of over 7,000 shitposts they call information with more constantly coming on, but it is pretty acceptable when learning about mostly unknown topics, such as obscure games or lost dubs. The only reason I still care about the Arabic dub is because the theme song is lit and I'm trying to find more information about it. Other than from the Dragon Ball Wiki, does Derek Padula know anything about this highly underrated dub?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAND it looks like you did not learn your lesson and bumped another old thread. Why didnt you just made a new thread for the Arabic dub? Its the way we do things around here. We dont bump 4 year dormant threads.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:30 am

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 pm I do know a bit about the Arabic dub from what fans and voice actors have told me.

For example, I spoke with Sean Schemmel about it within the last year. He said Dragon Ball Z is huge in the Middle East, and they invited him to a convention there to be a celebrity guest. He was amazed by how many fans were excited to see him. But also by the censorship.

Sean said that in the Arabic dub they removed all mention of Raditz being Goku's brother. This is because fratricide is an egregious sin in Islam, and they couldn't depict the main character and hero of the series (Goku) killing his brother in the first few episodes.

Other things in DBZ related to Islamic law and beliefs are forbidden. Such as their tails, which are explained as props they attach to their bodies, and the Ozaru transformation, which they explain as a summoned monster that appears to do battle for them. All because they can't show evolution or physical transformations in their media.

Outside of the Middle East, such as in Northern Africa, many fans watch the French dub instead of the Arabic, although the Arabic may air on TV. So even though there is censorship, many fans love the series, and they find ways to watch it uncensored.

I actually watched the French dub with Polish voiceover and the German dub is French AB version... I don't remember any censorship, just that there were some re-cuts and the script was different from Japanese one. So even tough, European versions from AB look like being closer to the original (except for the weird eurodisco openings), nobody as a kid saw the original Japanese Dragon Ball. Am I right?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 am

DerekPadula wrote: Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm While researching the history of Dragon Ball in different countries, I realized that there's no single place where you can go to read about the history of the series in every country on earth.

I've spent the last day and a half researching the history of each country where Dragon Ball has been published or broadcast, and despite my best efforts, some of the info just doesn't exist. For example, I can't find anything about Dragon Ball in India or Nicaragua. And what's available about each of these countries has been pieced together from disparate websites in different languages across the world, using google translate and my own effort. But it's not ideal, and many of them are incomplete.

We don't have a Wiki on this site yet, so I'd like this to be a living document, where people can add more info and then I'll update this first post. I'll post my own research here first, and then others can add to it with their own posts. I haven't done Japan or the United States yet, because they're kind of overwhelming, and because they're available online. But if you want to write a succinct history here, please do. It'd save me time.

So far I have these countries:
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Columbia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Finland
  • France
  • Hong Kong
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • Nicaragua
  • Norway
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • South Africa
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Venezuela
Thanks.

Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Columbia
Czech Republic
Ecuador
Denmark
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Finland
France
Hong Kong
Germany
Greece
India
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Mexico

Netherlands

Nicaragua
Norway
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Spain
South Africa
Sweden
United Kingdom
United States
Venezuela

I realize your info about the db manga in Norway is outdated. There's a new faithful translation being released by Outland now. However the print is (not then translation) based on those double viz releases so there's so graphical censoring?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 am

Spain is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall wrong. They had their dub based on the french one as early as the 80-s.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:17 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 pm I'm sorry if I sound rude, but....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAND it looks like you did not learn your lesson and bumped another old thread. Why didnt you just made a new thread for the Arabic dub? Its the way we do things around here. We dont bump 4 year dormant threads.
Well first off, sorry for bumping an old thread again

and second, an Arabic dub thread doesn't sound too bad

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:44 pm

DO EET! MAKE A NEW THREAD FOR IT! I love hearing about anime in the Middle EAST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHqi8sqC6JQ

Jewelpet seems to be a smash hit over there!

schulcks

Post by schulcks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:23 pm

I already contacted Derek about the history of Dragon Ball in Chile, in fact I wrote a book about it (in Spanish): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45732

In any case, the correct information is that in Chile the official transmission began with Dragon Ball in April 1997, although in 1995 images were shown in a TV show called "Maldita sea" (Damn it). And before there were underground anime movie screens that showed part of the story.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 06, 2015 5:41 pm
soulnova wrote:Also, the first episode of DBZ to be aired in Mexico was on September 1st, 1997, at 7pm. It was interrupted midway by a Presidential message. I screamed and rose my fists in rage. They repeated the episode fully the next day.

:lol:

Mas razon pa que Goku llegue al poder mi buen.

Anyway, I have the some info on Paraguay's History with DB.

Dragon Ball premiered in a channel called Magic Kids (Even in Spanish, its in English) with DB, it used the Mexican dub(Every single Country in Latin America used it) and as far as I know the Harmony Gold dub never got here. Magic Kids was a legendary Argentinian channel that aired lots of classic anime like Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, and Voltron. Then when Nickelodeon expanded to Paraguay, it lead to the removal of Magic Kids in some Cable Companies(Incliding the one my family used CVC). Magic Kids did manage to air ALL of DB but it got removed from CVC before airing Z and beyond. CVC users had to wait till Telefuturo (Then a new Major Broadcast Network) got DB and then started Z. Telefuturo aired the Dragon Ball Franchise till the final episode of GT. But it was Cartoon Network's adquisition of DBZ that ensured a peramanent home for the Dragon Ball franchise on Paraguay. It should be noted some regions of Paraguay did have Magic Kids because of using different Cable Companies.

EDIT:GOD! The French opening for Dragon Ball is the EXACT SAME as the Canadian opening! Who commisioned the Canadian dub? Toei?
It was AB Groupe that commisioned the Canadian Dub. It was recorded at Blue Water Studios for airing on YTV in Canada and Toonami UK.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:15 pm

What happened to the Syria/Arabic Territories category? They have those on SpaceToon and DBGT is stil airing today!

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:46 am

Are you still completing the list? If yes can I bring to table Romania

The Dragon Ball and Z anime was aired in original uncensored Japanese dub with Romanian voiceover on the national television between 1998-2004.

Dragon Ball GT was aired in 2011 on Animax, an European anime television. Dragon Ball Super was aired on AXN Black from 2018 in sub.

I also have a vague memory of DB Kai being aired on AXN Spin around 2013.

As for the manga, we do not have them translated, in fact we do not even have all of them in physical copies in any Romanian store. I remember I saw the first Dragon Ball manga in a library in 2018 I guess, but in English.

If it weren't for the newest Dragon Ball games which gained a lot of popularity lately among gamers worldwide, including Romanians, the franchize would sadly be just a childhood memory long forgotten in time.

But I don't want to make a long boring rant about it, just wanted to show how "lucky" we were in the 90's when the same guy voiced all anime characters :lol: including Sailor Moon.
https://youtu.be/znh6zoDy3TQ

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:40 pm

Dragon Ball Z first premiered in the United Kingdom in the fall of 1998 on the British Comedy Network. It aired the Ocean dub. The FUNimation dub also aired, with broadcasters switching between the two at random intervals.
Dragon Ball Z premiered in the United Kingdom on Cartoon Network on the 5th of March 2000. Not on the British Comedy Network, I have no idea where you got this information from. Watch this video which documents a comprehensive history of Dragon Ball Z in the UK:
https://youtu.be/IhA7JddpPqU

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:30 pm

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 pm I do know a bit about the Arabic dub from what fans and voice actors have told me.

Spacetoon didn't have to do that, though. It technically isn't fratricide because it's not "Goku kills Raditz", rather "Goku helps Piccolo kill him and Raditz".

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:31 pm

DerekPadula wrote: Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm Finland
Manga
The first four volumes of Dragon Ball manga were published in April, 2003, by Kustannus oy Kolibri. It was published in a Westernized left-to-right format. But by mid-May they were taken off the shelves because of a pedophilia scandal regarding the childish nudity of Goku and Bulma, along with Master Roshi’s panty fetish.
I read the above, and it is mostly correct (I had almost forgotten the pedophilia scandal!), but the Westernized left-to-right format is wrong. The DB books were using the original Japanese reading order, right-to-left. I even remember being 12 years old in a food store and thinking: "This reading direction is weird. And why is the boy naked?"

The reason for the wrong info might be that Ranma ½ was published at about the same time with left-to-right reading order.

Source? I have the first volume from the original print run.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:22 pm

DBZimran wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:40 pm
Dragon Ball Z first premiered in the United Kingdom in the fall of 1998 on the British Comedy Network. It aired the Ocean dub. The FUNimation dub also aired, with broadcasters switching between the two at random intervals.
Dragon Ball Z premiered in the United Kingdom on Cartoon Network on the 5th of March 2000. Not on the British Comedy Network, I have no idea where you got this information from. Watch this video which documents a comprehensive history of Dragon Ball Z in the UK:
I've seen a couple of people on here spread that rumour about the British Comedy Network. I think it originated on Dragon Ball Wiki. It would be really bizarre for Dragon Ball to air on that channel.

As you said, it premiered on Cartoon Network in March 2000.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:04 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:22 pm
DBZimran wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:40 pm
I've seen a couple of people on here spread that rumour about the British Comedy Network. I think it originated on Dragon Ball Wiki. It would be really bizarre for Dragon Ball to air on that channel.

As you said, it premiered on Cartoon Network in March 2000.
I've heard some mumblings about airings prior to March 2000 too, but I've yet to see evidence that would suggest they did, in fact happen. When Kanzenshuu interviewed Jerome (head of Manga UK) on the podcast he said something along the lines of "and I think it was on ITV (or some other channel) too". Sadly Jerome's since deactivated his Twitter and disabled Facebook messages so he's not as easy to reach as he used to be to clarify these things.

It would certainly be interesting, and a hell of a find if a recording of the show in the UK before the Cartoon Network UK debut one day surfaces, especially if it was another alternate English dub with British actors (which we've never had for Dragon Ball), like the Powerpuff Girls dub that has been confirmed to have aired on Channel 5.

Of course until we see anything to suggest any prior airings occurred I'll take any rumours with a grain of salt.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:44 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:04 pm I've heard some mumblings about airings prior to March 2000 too, but I've yet to see evidence that would suggest they did, in fact happen. When Kanzenshuu interviewed Jerome (head of Manga UK) on the podcast he said something along the lines of "and I think it was on ITV (or some other channel) too". Sadly Jerome's since deactivated his Twitter and disabled Facebook messages so he's not as easy to reach as he used to be to clarify these things.

It would certainly be interesting, and a hell of a find if a recording of the show in the UK before the Cartoon Network UK debut one day surfaces, especially if it was another alternate English dub with British actors (which we've never had for Dragon Ball), like the Powerpuff Girls dub that has been confirmed to have aired on Channel 5.

Of course until we see anything to suggest any prior airings occurred I'll take any rumours with a grain of salt.
I think I remember Jerome saying that too. ITV aired stuff like Pokemon and Digimon for years, so he might have just assumed DBZ aired based on that. Funnily enough I remember reading a rumour around late 2005-early 2006 that CITV were thinking of picking up DBZ, which would have been shortly after Toonami UK stopped airing it. Nothing ever came of it though, and I don't know if there was any truth to it to begin with.

I just feel like the show would have blown up in popularity much sooner, if it really did air on a terrestrial channel like ITV alongside stuff like Pokemon. I watched Pokemon and Digimon on there in the late 90s but never heard of DBZ until the first Carton Network promos in 2000. Even as late as 2001 I felt like I was one of the only kids in my school who knew about DBZ, because most of the others didn't get Sky TV until later, so they only saw what was on CITV and CBBC.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:45 pm

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 pm
But that doesn't make any sense, Goku isn't even the one who killed Raditz, it was Piccolo. Did they not know this???

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:04 am

marumuju wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:31 pm
DerekPadula wrote: Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm Finland
Manga
The first four volumes of Dragon Ball manga were published in April, 2003, by Kustannus oy Kolibri. It was published in a Westernized left-to-right format. But by mid-May they were taken off the shelves because of a pedophilia scandal regarding the childish nudity of Goku and Bulma, along with Master Roshi’s panty fetish.
I read the above, and it is mostly correct (I had almost forgotten the pedophilia scandal!), but the Westernized left-to-right format is wrong. The DB books were using the original Japanese reading order, right-to-left. I even remember being 12 years old in a food store and thinking: "This reading direction is weird. And why is the boy naked?"

The reason for the wrong info might be that Ranma ½ was published at about the same time with left-to-right reading order.

Source? I have the first volume from the original print run.
Based on that, Vietnamese editions of manga were interesting. I have seen them at my schoolmate's who was fan of Dragon Ball, as there is huge comunity of Vietnamese in Czech Republic and the manga was the Tankobon edition, being reflected inside to read from left to right (seriously, they have just reflected the art) with Dragon Ball logo stylized into the name 7 Vien Ngog Rong (Seven Dragon Balls).
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88