Complete list of plotholes/continuity issues in the movies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Complete list of plotholes/continuity issues in the movies

Post by EXBadguy » Tue May 05, 2015 6:38 pm

This gon' b good!

As explained.

Movie 7- In the beginning of the movie where 17 kills Gero, nobody else was around while in the original series, the Z gang were there.

Movie 14- Dende, Kid Trunks and Goten's physique, they're supposed to look older physically.
Last edited by EXBadguy on Tue May 05, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Complete list of plotholes/continuity issues in the movi

Post by Zephyr » Tue May 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Movie 1: Krillin doesn't know Gohan when Raditz shows up. Goku doesn't know that Gohan's secretly a beast.

Movie 2, 3, and 4: They should all be on Namek during the official dating of the films. Also, any time that Goku and Piccolo are on Earth together in the manga after the Raditz fight, Goku can go Super Saiyan. Nope, not in Movie 2.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue May 05, 2015 7:10 pm

EXBadguy wrote:This gon' b good! Somebody do them.
The similar thread about the manga started off as a question asking if there was an existing list.

But here you're just demanding that people do the work for you without giving any reasons or showing any signs of effort on your part. This is not the way to start a thread.
-Rachel

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I will start off with the second Coola movie. Movie 6 issues:

- Dende as Earth's newest Kami when the movie was released a year before the Cell games happen in the anime and manga.

- Goku and the others are going to New Namek when no one knew where it was until Goku visit King Kai before the Cell games and everyone else should be training on Earth to prep up to fight against #17 and #18.

- No one seem to be shock that Vegeta is a SSj when no one knew that he can turn SSj until he fought #19.

- Goku can use Shukan Ido in the movie against Metal Coola when he didn't seem to use it in the last movie.

- Both Goku and Metal Coola seem to know how to fight to use the Shukan Ido without using a ki signature to use as a target. Goku still need to lock on to a ki signature when he has to teleport against Cell, Buu and Super 17 in GT.

- It can't happen during the Cell games 7 day break because Goku is seen his base form, Gohan can't go SSj, Gohan is clearly younger than he was before he went to the ROSAT since his hair is still long and is still shorter then Kuririn. Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo also seem much weaker if it takes place during the Cell Games time era. Trunks is also nowhere to be seen or mention if it takes place during the Cell Games time era.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 05, 2015 7:25 pm

TripleRach wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:This gon' b good! Somebody do them.
The similar thread about the manga started off as a question asking if there was an existing list.

But here you're just demanding that people do the work for you without giving any reasons or showing any signs of effort on your part. This is not the way to start a thread.
He's a completist, I wonder about the lists also. Saint Seiya wiki for example has these great lists of differences between the manga and anime with some plotholes caught in.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Tue May 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Movies 2-4 - Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Piccolo should all be dead

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Movie 7: Goku and Gohan are not shown as Full Power Super Saiyans, and Future Trunks and Vegeta do not power up to 2nd Grade Super Saiyan.
Movie 8: FPSSJ Goku is stronger than FPSSJ Gohan
Movie 10: Videl knows about the Dragon Ball, despite the fact she does not learn about them until after Majin Buu is released. And the movie is set before that.
Movie 11: #18 never went to Mr Satan's mansion, after the tournament, Android 18 goes with Bulma and the others to find the Dragon Balls,. Goten and Trunks know the Fusion Dance but don't do it.
Movie 12: Vegeta is still dead

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Movie 1: Gohan appears to be pre-training for several reasons including what he's wearing as well as the fact that Goku doesn't seem to know about his hidden power yet. This means it HAS to take place before Z because the VERY first thing that happens in Z is Raditz kidnaps Gohan, Goku dies in the fight to get him back, and then Piccolo Trains Gohan while Goku is dead.

This would work fine if Kuririn weren't involved, but Kuririn being here is the plothole because if he met Gohan in this movie, why does he then not know him when Goku and Gohan show up at Kame House at the start of DBZ?

Movies 2-4: All have the same issue. The breakdown of people being dead vs being alive at these times never quite works out the way it should be in the series. Goku Dies in the fight with Raditz, is dead up to the moment he fights Nappa and Vegeta and immediately following that fight was rendered bedridden by his injuries (and no Senzu) and stays that way until after Kuririn, Gohan, and Bulma are on Namek, during this entire period, Piccolo, Tenshinhan and Yamucha are all dead. As SOON as Goku is well, he goes to Namek to help and comes back able to go Super Saiyan, which he couldn't do in any of these movies.

Simply put, these movies have a Goku that's ready and able to fight, a Trained Gohan who isn't on Namek, and varying degrees of Piccolo, Yamucha, and Tenshinhan involved in the plot.

Movie 5: It fits in the timeline if you allow for some ridiculously huge jumps in logic.

Goku has already beaten Freeza, and is back on Earth, therefore this can ONLY take place during the timeskip between when Trunks shows up and when they fight Cyborgs 19 and 20. Which, Goku Gohan and Piccolo should have been training together during. Also, Goku should be able to go Super Saiyan on command at this point.

You need to assume that they randomly decided to take a break from training, nobody is the least bit concerned about the coming Cyborg threat, and that Goku could go Super Saiyan the entire movie and simply chose not to at any point until the end.

Personally, that's too many jumps in logic for me to accept, so it's Non-canon IMO.

Movie 6: This one flat out can't fit. First, you have to accept the ones you need to accept to make Movie 5 fit, because this one is a direct sequel to that one, but then you have to now accept that they took ANOTHER break from training for the Cyborgs to head up to New Namek to help them out, again, nobody seems even slightly concerned about the oncoming cyborg threat.

Then, you also now have to accept that Goku saw Vegeta go Super Saiyan in this movie and wasn't the least bit surprised that Vegeta could do that.

Also, you have to accept that he then proceeded to not tell anyone else that Vegeta could go Super Saiyan since they all seemed surprised when he did it during his fight with Cyborg #19.

Yeah, again, too many jumps in logic, doesn't work, but on top of all of that, Dende is God of Earth here. So yeah, it has to have taken place after that point, but once again, nobody cares about the Cyborgs or Cell?

Movie 7: This one directly references a scene in the series, that being 17 and 18 killing Gero, so it has to take place after that.

This doesn't fit because at no point after Cyborgs 17 and 18 kill Gero did the heroes have any time to relax (which they're doing at the start of the movie) until the 7 day break before the Cell Games, but it can't fit in there because Goku and Gohan were intentionally staying Super Saiyan ALL THE TIME to naturalize the form during that time, and not only are they not SS in this movie the entire time, but it looks like Gohan flat out Can't go Super Saiyan at this point.
It also can't go after Cell because Goku is alive in the movie.

So, either A: Goku and Gohan should have been Super Saiyan the entire time, or B: They should have been, to some degree, worried about 17 & 18 or Cell during the events of this movie for it to fit.

Movie 8: Movie doesn't fit for the exact same reason Movie 7 doesn't. Goku is alive so this is before the Cell games, yet there was never a point where they weren't worried about the Cyborgs/Cell.
Interestingly, since Gohan can go Super Saiyan, this movie WOULD fit if Goku and Gohan had simply started the movie in their SS forms and never reverted, at least until they were knocked out of it by an attack or something. But nope, doesn't fit.

Movie 9: One of the only two that fit entirely without issue. Goku says when he talks to Trunks for the first time that he couldn't transform into a Super Saiyan at will right after he first attained it, so it makes sense that Gohan might have the same problem with SS2 (as it takes a push to get him there) and everyone who is supposed to be dead at this point (Goku) is. We also know Trunks wanted to go back to the past one more time and see everybody, so it easily could take place while he's still back there.

Movies 10-11: Don't fit for numerous reasons, tho the biggest one being because Movie 8 doesn't fit.

Movie 12: The only point in the series in which Goku and Vegeta are both dead at the same time was in the middle of the Boo arc after Vegeta killed himself trying to kill Boo, but before Goku is revived by the Elder Kaioshin to fight Super Boo. So this is the only point the movie could feasibly take place, however, nobody in the movie seemed the least bit concerned about the fact that at this point, Majin Boo should still be on a rampage.

It's also clear that upon going back to the Afterlife, Goku goes STRAIGHT to the Kaioshin Realm because he senses Gohan there, and never leaves again until he's revived to go back to earth. With all that going on, it just makes no sense that he'd randomly leave to participate in a fighting tournament while at the same time.

On top of all of this, Gohan was training in the Kaioshin realm during the entire window by which both Goku and Vegeta were dead, and everyone on Earth THOUGHT he was dead, yet this movie shows him alive and well and not training at home with his family at the start.

Movie 13: Like Movie 9, also fits without issue. Takes place right in the same time period as Battle of Gods, possibly just before BoG. Only MINOR thing you need to forgive is that Mr. Satan and Mr. Boo aren't in the movie, but that's not too big a stretch considering all the fighting takes place in a short span of time. They may have just been out of town at the time and nobody thought to contact them.
Last edited by DemonRin on Tue May 05, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm

The old DBZ movies seem to be set in different timelines. Not to mention Toriyama said that he views the pre-BOG movies as movies set in their own demension which explains why they don't fit and they are never reference outside the films like in the anime and manga. For example, I think Movie 6 is set in a timeline where Vegeta killed Dr. Gero before he escape and they blew up the lab with #17 and #18. Piccolo most likely killed Cell in this timeline which explains why Dende is Kami of the Earth in the film.
She/Her

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue May 05, 2015 8:19 pm

MCDaveG wrote:He's a completist, I wonder about the lists also. Saint Seiya wiki for example has these great lists of differences between the manga and anime with some plotholes caught in.
I mean, there's nothing wrong with the idea for the thread. It's definitely an interesting topic to discuss.

But when the thread title is longer than the opening post, there's a problem.
-Rachel

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Movie 11: Goten and Trunks know the Fusion Dance but don't do it.
Was this only mentioned in the original dub, or was it in other dubs too?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Movie 11: Goten and Trunks know the Fusion Dance but don't do it.
Was this only mentioned in the original dub, or was it in other dubs too?
I'm not entirely sure. I can't really remember. But what I do know is that according to Daizenshuu 6, Movie 11 takes place shortly before Super Boo arrives on Kami 's Lookout. And by that point, Goku had returned to heaven and Goten and Trunks had learned the Fusion Dance.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:44 pm

I'm pretty sure Movie 11 is likely set in a timeline where Majin Buu was never re-hatch out of his egg. It can explain why Goku is in Other World and why Kuririn is not stone. Vegeta most likely killed Dabra and Babidi seeing that Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo and Kaioshin most likely handle Babidi on their own.
She/Her

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 06, 2015 1:19 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm not entirely sure. I can't really remember. But what I do know is that according to Daizenshuu 6, Movie 11 takes place shortly before Super Boo arrives on Kami 's Lookout. And by that point, Goku had returned to heaven and Goten and Trunks had learned the Fusion Dance.
Not necessarily. It places the movie sometime between the 25th Budokai's end and the "showdown with Majin Buu" and doesn't get any more specific than that. That timeframe allows for before the boys learn fusion.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed May 06, 2015 10:14 am

Breaking news: most of the movies don't gel with the series. Do we really need a whole list? I'd imagine most of us know how/why they don't fit. It's not even "plot holes" per se, since they very obviously aren't supposed to jive with the manga/anime.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Wed May 06, 2015 10:59 am

EXBadguy wrote:
Movie 14- Dende, Kid Trunks and Goten's physique, they're supposed to look older physically.
According to who? They are Saiyans, they have different growth rate to humans. Definitely not a plothole.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed May 06, 2015 11:25 am

saunasolmu wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
According to who? They are Saiyans, they have different growth rate to humans. Definitely not a plothole.
I'm not saying they have to be way taller, I'm aware of that Saiyan growth rate theory, I'm saying that they needed to have a bit more refined features in their physique, just a bit, like refined faces, different or longer hair for Goten, deeper voices, etc. Nothing to do with height.

So tell me, why did Gohan look like this at age 5-6 and this at age 11, minus the Super Saiyan colored hair?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

EXBadguy wrote:
saunasolmu wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
I'm not saying they have to be way taller, I'm aware of that Saiyan growth rate theory, I'm saying that they needed to have a bit more refined features in their physique, just a bit, like refined faces, different or longer hair for Goten, deeper voices, etc. Nothing to do with height.

So tell me, why did Gohan look like this at age 5-6 and this at age 11, minus the Super Saiyan colored hair?
Not all half blood Saiyans have the same growth spurts. They all vary.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 pm

EXBadguy wrote:So tell me, why did Gohan look like this at age 5-6 and this at age 11, minus the Super Saiyan colored hair?
Gohan is not the same person as Goten. Gohan is not the same person as Trunks. Different people are allowed to have different growth rates. We don't even need to assume that it's necessarily because they're Saiyans. Maybe Goten and Trunks got the gene for Saiyan height growth and Gohan didn't?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Well Trunks in like a year or 2 is supposed to grow into Future Trunks from the TV special/Manga. He got a super mushroom.

Dende got magically younger from Pilaf's wish somehow...and it also made Mr. Satan forget about him.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!