Why Toriyama-sensei's art style changed so much...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Why Toriyama-sensei's art style changed so much...

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I don't like when he makes everyone look anorexic. Thankfully it looks like he's backtracking a bit on that with the RoF manga.
Hmm? Toriyama didn't draw the Resurrection F manga. That was Toyble/Toyotaro.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Periskir

Post by Periskir » Sun May 17, 2015 9:23 am

http://i3.minus.com/ibhuQqcI0gnCbr.jpg what do you think of this?

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 am

I'm not sure, but I remember Toriyama saying something about trying different things to not resemble other work too much when he was working on Blue Dragon.

Periskir

Post by Periskir » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 am

Blue Dragon's art is equivalent to Dragonball's late style i think so what's the difference?

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun May 17, 2015 10:27 am

Periskir wrote:Blue Dragon's art is equivalent to Dragonball's late style i think so what's the difference?

I don't know, but when did Toriyama start making characters skinny(late style) and when did he start working on BlueDragon?

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 17, 2015 11:29 am

shinmaru wrote:I don't know, but when did Toriyama start making characters skinny(late style)
I think I might have seen an image of him in 2008 with his skinny art style, can't remember. If I'm wrong, then I would say 2011, he drew a skinny Chilled.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 11:43 am

Look at family guy. Every year something minor changes. Just artist evolution or de evolution

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun May 17, 2015 3:25 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:I don't like when he makes everyone look anorexic. Thankfully it looks like he's backtracking a bit on that with the RoF manga.
Hmm? Toriyama didn't draw the Resurrection F manga. That was Toyble/Toyotaro.
Didn't know that sorry.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Sun May 17, 2015 4:53 pm

The early art style of One Piece has always looked the best to me. I hope Toriyama does go back to drawling characters a bit thicker.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:00 pm

He didn't draw that. It was done by Toyotaro.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 17, 2015 6:49 pm

Well, I don't see much of the difference between early Naruto and One Piece. It clearly shows that the artist is improving and getting more comfortable with what he's drawing.
Toriyama's style is totally different. It gets more and more streamlined since the Dragon Ball started.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Joppuman

Post by Joppuman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:52 am

i think I've heard in a few different places that toriyama's would sometimes deliberately make his art more pointy, and angular on purpose because people would complain that it was to angular, and tell him, or maybe suggest that he go back to his old rounder style.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Looking at Jojo, man, sometimes it is best to stick with a less realistic portrayal. His new art has little expression, looks stiff and is really ugly.

Dragon Ball, I feel, actually was really consistent in style until the end of the Saiyan arc. Somewhere during the Nappa fight, his art style sees a dramatic shift, which you can really tell with Vegeta. Before the fight begins, the characters still have that round, chubby look to them, and just around the time Goku arrives, the shaper eyes, thicker necks, more defined muscle start creeping in.

The kaioken x3 then creates another massive art shift where the muscles begin to be drawn with more defined details, such as in the bicep, and the lats on characters become more realistic, where before it was more blobby and cartoony. The noses change from having a black shape to a more detailed nose where there is a separation between the nose bridge and the bottom of the nose.

But before that, his style remains pretty much the same as it did in chapter 1 with minor changes or improvements. However, there is a massive change at the end of the Saiyan arc.

If I have time I'll compile pictures from my manga, but if anyone else wants to do it that would be awesome.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Akira Toriyama didn't draw that. Toyotarō did.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。