Dragonball live-action series a good idea or not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Periskir

Dragonball live-action series a good idea or not?

Post by Periskir » Mon May 18, 2015 6:38 pm

I belive that a live-action adaptation of Dragonball would be a great idea. Japanese have the technology to make visuals effects possible. Unfortunately for us they lack good will :(

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonball live-action series a good idea or not?

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Sure, but I'd rather see it start with a spin-off rather than jump straight into a series with the Z-Warriors. I think it'd be better if the producers were to get their feet wet and gain a little confidence, before going after the same song and dance we're used to seeing.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 6:48 pm

It's not just about who directing and which actors are chosen, it's more about much goes into production and visuals. And a live action Dragon Ball series would need a big, and I mean a really big budget, to properly capture the essences of the fight scenes and mystical backdrop of the series. Something like Light Of Hope, but on much bigger scale in terms of production values

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I don't like the idea of Dragon Ball being live action, because the series has such a great art style, and (sometimes) great animation, and I think that's a big part of the series, and taking that away takes a part of the series' charm away.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I think it's possible since you need a good script, good actors and a director who can handle good story telling. I think changing the character designs is going to happen no matter what. Characters can look different, but still be a good movie. Evolution not being faithful to the source material is not why the movie sucks. It's one of the reasons, but there's many others too. Evolution sucked for having a badly written story, characters with no depth, no one in the film has any level of personality, no one can hardly act, the dialogue is horrible, everyone else in the film is forgettable and cliche. Not to mention the movie's CG is really bad, the whole movie looks like it was made in the late 90's (1996 - 1999).

The movie could not have been faithful and yet be a good movie. Movies like Men in Black and The Lawnmower Man are not faithful to their source material, but they are still good movies in my opinion.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Mon May 18, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon May 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's not just about who directing and which actors are chosen, it's more about much goes into production and visuals. And a live action Dragon Ball series would need a big, and I mean a really big budget, to properly capture the essences of the fight scenes and mystical backdrop of the series. Something like Light Of Hope, but on much bigger scale in terms of production values
You still need good and dedicated actors. Justin Chatwin even admitted doing Evolution was a joke to him, you can have visually striking effects but without a good story and actors it will just come out like any Michael Bay film.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Ever since the casting listing for the movie was leak back in 2007 from CHUD.com, we knew that this movie was going to be bad. I still remember the out rage when Justin Chatwin was announced that he was going to be playing as Goku and the whole Internet went up on flames on that day. Not as bad as Ben Affleck as Batman, but still pretty bad. Another bad sign of Evolution was when James Wong was announce to direct the movie. James Wong admits to being a fan of Dragon Ball, but he's not a very good director. Just look at his track record of films before Evolution:

Final Destination - 33%
The One - 14%
Final Destination 3 - 43%
Black Christmas - 14%

Not a sign good movie on his track record and this is coming from someone who loves the Final Destination movies for being so bad that they are good. Fans feel like that they need a director who is a fan to make a good movie which is wrong. You need someone who can respect the source material well enough that is good at story telling to direct a good movie. Bryan Singer is not even a fan of X-Men when he directed X-Men and he end up giving us a good movie.
She/Her

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:44 pm

I don't think its a good idea and here is why. DBZ Light of Hope was great for what it was. I think it captured the speed quite well for its budget, but it show cased how bad Dragon Ball Z would look with real life actors. DBZ/GT's speed is just insane! Real life can't catch it, in my honest opinion. I haven't seen the newest Superman movie so I can't really be sure if real life movies could replicate DBZ/GT's speed, keep in mind. I think Dragon Ball can be a real life movie because its speed is within real life standards of Super Hero speed.

I still want a DB Evolution 2 honestly. Yeah I said it! :x
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 pm

I'd rather have an unrelated fantasy/fighting movie with action sequences influenced by DBZ than an actual DBZ live-action adaptation. This is a series that is self-aware of its silliness, even during the bleakest moments in it. Not to mention, the characters just aren't "human" enough. I don't mean physically, but rather, they all have traits that don't translate well in a live-action setting .
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Monkey King Vegeta

Post by Monkey King Vegeta » Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 pm

DBZ is best animated, but another attempt at a live-action wouldn't hurt, maybe the Japanese should give it a go.

It wasn't that long that I heard my fav manga was getting a live-action film, so with the DB revival that has come to us, I could expect one in the coming years, my best bet would be a movie with a small portion of DB and ending with the Saiyan Saga, hyping up the tyrannical lizard for a potential sequel.

However, no matter how good the product, there will always be people complaining about the choice of actors, or about their race in general. :think:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:58 pm

The third Matrix movie can pull off good fighting similar to DBZ with a smaller budget then Man of Steel and came out a decade before it. I feel like a Man of Steel size budget would be too risky at the moment since another live action movie could flop and cause Fox to lose even more money. Evolution was already both a box office and critical failure. Evolution is still recent and still fresh in people's minds. Doing another movie now will bring back bad memories of Evolution for a lot of people. I say wait another 10 years to do another live action movie from Hollywood. Yeah Battle of Gods did pretty well, but that was a smaller release film. I don't think big studios want to touch Dragon Ball at the moment besides Fox.

Evolution did bomb at the box office BTW since it only made $9,362,785 in the US and $57,497,699 worldwide on a budget reported to be around 30-45 million (not counting marketing). Movies need to almost triple of its estimated budget in order to be a hit. Most of Evolution's box office came from China and I would imagine Fox hardly got any money from China. Fox most likely got only 20% from China seeing how other studios like Legendary Pictures only got 20% of China's gross on Pacific Rim.
She/Her

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Tue May 19, 2015 5:52 am

Seems like it'd be a waste of money. You can get more accomplished, visually, with animation for half the budget. The actors are easier to cast, and the property's a manga anyway. I cant see much of a point for doing anything DB related live action unless its a movie, and even then, I'm not holding my breath.