The Evolution Of Dragon Ball Characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

The Evolution Of Dragon Ball Characters

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:25 pm

A little article put together by Kotaku.

Piccolo has evolved the best by far in my opinion. :P

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Evolution Of Dragon Ball Characters

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm disappointed, I was thinking this was gonna be about character evolution. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Pretty cool, although I wish they had used contemporary images. It's a bit jarring (and inaccurate) to mix and match recent interpretations of older designs with contemporary drawings of other designs. And while it did allow for that admittedly funny joke about Piccolo, it's not exactly accurate either, as Piccolo's outfit is different in the 23rd Budoukai than it is at other parts of the series, with a smaller mantle and (at the very beginning) ends hanging down from his turban.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:09 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Piccolo's outfit is different in the 23rd Budoukai than it is at other parts of the series, with a smaller mantle and (at the very beginning) ends hanging down from his turban.
I've honestly never noticed the mantle, but I completely forgot about the ends hanging from the turban. Nice catch!

This does remind me of something I meant to ask about a week or so ago, but it doesn't really merit it's own threat I suppose - I seem to remember in Lord Slug I believe, that we get to see what the mantle underneath Piccolo's cape looks like after he takes some damage, in that it's purple kind of like the...whatever it is at the top of his turban. Has that ever been shown anywhere else?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Well Piccolo did kind of change during the series. He started off as a child for one thing! They could have used that. Then in the 23rd world tournament he seemed almost teenage like, or young 20s looking. In GT he looked much more defined as well.

I'm just nit-picking though, it did make me laugh!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Interesting find here! I'm going to have to note that I like Yamcha's original design the most, followed by his Saiyan battle design in second place.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."