What's Going On With The Dream 9 Crossover, Exactly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

What's Going On With The Dream 9 Crossover, Exactly?

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:06 am

Most of us international fans have got a pretty good thing going with Dragon Ball right now. We've got all of the TV episodes, TV specials, and theatrical films. They may not be in the best possible quality, but if we want them, we can go out and buy them. In fact, if we don't count the animation made specifically for video games and commercials, we're only missing the two PSA shorts and the two JUMP specials (which were joint productions between Shueisha and Toei and are speculated to have tricky rights issues).

And then we've got the Dream 9 "Super Collaboration Special" sitting off in a corner by itself, being all awkward.

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about this thing. I know what it is (Toriko Episode 99 and One Piece Episode 590, officially). I've seen it. But what's the situation? Specifically, what's the (speculated) hold-up on getting it licensed? All three shows are produced by Toei. All three shows are licensed by FUNimation (in North America, at least). At first glance, it seems like it would be a squeaky-clean deal. Yet both episodes (as well as the previous One Piece x Toriko crossover special) were skipped in international simulcasts and never mentioned again. Was this crossover commissioned by Shueisha as well, like the JUMP specials were?

What do we think is going on?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What's Going On With The Dream 9 Crossover, Exactly?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:11 am

Crunchyroll does have the two different Toriko and One Piece crossovers, actually, just not the third containing Dragon Ball characters. I assume this is because Dragon Ball is just that worth it that they don't mind waitin for more money or more time to pass.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 am

Hey wow, they did finally get those first few crossovers uploaded! Apparently it was pretty recently (December of '14). Maybe there's hope for the Dragon Ball one yet.

I'd really like for FUNimation to just group them all together and release a compilation DVD.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 pm

MagicBox wrote:Hey wow, they did finally get those first few crossovers uploaded! Apparently it was pretty recently (December of '14). Maybe there's hope for the Dragon Ball one yet.

I'd really like for FUNimation to just group them all together and release a compilation DVD.
And dubbed...it would be wonderful. Just a fun bit of short crossovery goodness.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:16 pm

MagicBox wrote:Most of us international fans have got a pretty good thing going with Dragon Ball right now. We've got all of the TV episodes, TV specials, and theatrical films.
Put the "Most of us international fans " in bold, because here in Portugal we're getting nothing.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:03 am

We'll probably get them dubbed whenever FUNimation gets to them in the One Piece dub considering that doing them before they get to the time skip wouldn't be right and that they're listed as One Piece episodes. Or it would just be wise to them.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)