Dragon Ball franchise in Africa

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dragon Ball franchise in Africa

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:11 am

Had Dragon Ball been broadcasted in african countries? If yes, with dub or subs? Or could be broadcasted with the arabic dub(that was made in Syria)?
The manga was published?

It's just because I never heared about african dubs of Dragon Ball. Just a question that I'm curious about.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball franchise in Africa

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 am

I vividly remember that it scored itself the highest rated spot for kids in Africa. I saw that on Kidscreen. I think they just air the english dub by Funi I think.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:15 am

I have seen DragonBall Z broadcasted in Morocco, Dubbed in Arabic. I always look for DB merchandise when visiting a country. and I found some weird stickers In Morocco Image

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:49 am

I remember Kei said that African countries that have got Dragon Ball are Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, Uganda, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Niger, and Senegal.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:34 pm

shinmaru wrote:I have seen DragonBall Z broadcasted in Morocco, Dubbed in Arabic. I always look for DB merchandise when visiting a country. and I found some weird stickers In Morocco Image
Well, the arabic dub was did in Syria until I know. And Syria is actually an Asian country.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember Kei said that African countries that have got Dragon Ball are Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, Uganda, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Niger, and Senegal.
And even one of them did a proper dub of the series?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:04 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
shinmaru wrote:I have seen DragonBall Z broadcasted in Morocco, Dubbed in Arabic. I always look for DB merchandise when visiting a country. and I found some weird stickers In Morocco Image
Well, the arabic dub was did in Syria until I know. And Syria is actually an Asian country.
That doesn't mean that it can't be broadcasted in other Arabic-speaking countries. I suppose it was done in Modern Standard Arabic rather than Syrian Arabic.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:28 pm

For what I see here, we had some informations, nice.

But...and about the manga? What african countries published it?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09 am

Off topic, but DragonBall franchise in Malaysia was once a beast (late 90's to 2000's)

Even with Malaysian Speedy Dub (limited to only Movies) & Malay Dub (Original TV telecast) butchering almost 90's of plot/dialogues.

Felt it had slight resurgence with Kai

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:36 am

According to Kei's site, African countries that showed Dragon Ball were: Algeria (Arabic dub), Uganda (one of the English dubs), Egypt (Arabic dub), Ivory Coast (French AB Groupe dub), Sudan (Arabic dub), Senegal (French AB Groupe dub), Tunisia (Arabic dub), Niger (French AB Group dub), Burkina Faso (French AB dub), Morocco (Arabic dub), and South Africa (one of the English dubs).
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Pocket-God
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pocket-God » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Dragonball, Dragonball z and Dragonball GT have all come on TV in the past here in South Africa and it was all just the Funimation versions. if i remember correctly :think:

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:38 pm

I've seen DBZ in Somalia when I went there many years ago. It was dubbed in Arabic. From what I remember it used to come on at the wee hours of the morning.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 pm

There's only one Arabic dub of DB; the one done by Venus Centre in Syria. It is broadcast in all Arab countries. And yeah, it's done in classical Arabic like all of the other anime/cartoons dubbed by Venus, since teaching Arabian children the correct pronunciation of classical Arabic is one of their primary goals. I don't remember whether they finished dubbing the original DB, but they only dubbed the Saiyan and Freeza arcs of Z then jumped right to Kai, which is still airing...I think.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Mon May 16, 2016 2:26 am

Pocket-God wrote:Dragonball, Dragonball z and Dragonball GT have all come on TV in the past here in South Africa and it was all just the Funimation versions. if i remember correctly :think:
I know I'm reviving a thread half a year old here, but I am moving to Cape Town next year and I was very curious how to get my Dragon Ball fix there. Anyone have any intel? Is it a popular franchise or niche and hard to find? What about merchandise?