Akira Toriyama watched Goku vs Superman 2 battle?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GokuRules987
Banned

Akira Toriyama watched Goku vs Superman 2 battle?

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:52 am

I been lately thinking about this theory. Do you guys think that Akira Toriyama might have actually seen this screw attack death battle of Goku super saiyan god vs Superman? I mean some of you might probably say that he might not even realize of this whole Goku vs Superman debate but i can easily prove you guys wrong because Toriyama actually was a superman fan himself. Back in late 70's he used to draw gag mangas by the name of Tomato, Girl detective. In where he made one of his characters very resemble to superman who worked as a reported, even his real name was pronounced as Kuraaku Kenta(clark kent) His later appearances where happened in dr.slump and Dragon Ball.
Here are some of his appearances in dragon ball
Ofcourse since hes the type of character that constantly being made fun of with how he doesn't have a real sense of justice or strength. Like when he tries to stop the Ferris wheel but gets completely squashed by it, or gets arrested.

Personally I don't know if Toriyama version of superman was created on purpose to make fun of the real superman or was it just done to pay him respect. Because I mean Toriyama grew up during the silver age superman era. If the comics back in the days where translated into Japanese version, do you think he would have read or known what superman was really capable, such as patching up black holes or sneezing solar systems? And I feel like Toriyama compared to many other mangaka's tends to have more respect to his own work atleast back then.

My question do you think Toriyama believe that Goku was actually strongest than superman? And do you think he actually watched the whole death battle on you tube that screw attack did, which either he might have found by accident or someone from work or friends told him about it?

I personally would love to see what Toriyama has to say about this whole Goku vs Superman debate. I want him to tell us what are Gokus actual limits, And with the whole Superman killing SSJGODSSJ Goku so easily, do you think this is what would have happened in an actual fight or not?
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Akira Toriyama watched Goku vs Superman 2 battle?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:03 am

I'd be willing to bet you a thousand dollars that he has not only not watched it, but doesn't care.

(Although I do recall hearing that he got the idea for the Saiya-jins from watching Superman 2 with Zod and the Kryptonian criminals).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:04 am

Well, first of all, I doubt he cares...at all. Not just about that debate, but about character potential in general. Secondly, I doubt he'd watch something that's in English. Third, he's confessed time and again that he's not even aware of how big DB is in the US or around the world; he only focuses on the young demographic in Japan. And finally, Superman is one of the most iconic and recognizable characters in all of fiction... ever. So it's understandable that Toriyama would parody him in some way, considering he's a gag manga artist and all. Everyone knows the gist of the character (faster than a speeding bullet; stronger than a locomotive; symbol of justice; yada yada), but I heavily doubt Toriyama has ever googled or will ever google his feats...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:12 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Well, first of all, I doubt he cares...at all. Not just about that debate, but about character potential in general. Secondly, I doubt he'd watch something that's in English. Third, he's confessed time and again that he's not even aware of how big DB is in the US or around the world; he only focuses on the young demographic in Japan. And finally, Superman is one of the most iconic and recognizable characters in all of fiction... ever. So it's understandable that Toriyama would parody him in some way, considering he's a gag manga artist and all. Everyone knows the gist of the character (faster than a speeding bullet; stronger than a locomotive; symbol of justice; yada yada), but I heavily doubt Toriyama has ever googled or will ever google his feats...
But didnt he read silver age superman comics when he was young?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:23 am

I doubt Toriyama watches American internet videos, but I've always believed he took influence from Superman for Goku's origin story, to the point where I've referred to Goku as "the weeaboo's Superman" in the past. :lol:

Heck even the recently made Dragon Ball Minus seems to draw parallels between the two.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:32 am

GokuRules987 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Well, first of all, I doubt he cares...at all. Not just about that debate, but about character potential in general. Secondly, I doubt he'd watch something that's in English. Third, he's confessed time and again that he's not even aware of how big DB is in the US or around the world; he only focuses on the young demographic in Japan. And finally, Superman is one of the most iconic and recognizable characters in all of fiction... ever. So it's understandable that Toriyama would parody him in some way, considering he's a gag manga artist and all. Everyone knows the gist of the character (faster than a speeding bullet; stronger than a locomotive; symbol of justice; yada yada), but I heavily doubt Toriyama has ever googled or will ever google his feats...
But didnt he read silver age superman comics when he was young?
Doubt it, but he watched the Christopher Reeves movies
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:00 am

I'd bet good money he doesn't even know what a Death Battle is in the first place.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:46 am

You are really never going to let this go are you?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:37 am

Akira Toriyama doesn't know, and most likely doesn't care, about Death Battle or Superman.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:17 am

I'm not entirely convinced he is a frequent enough user of the Internet(we know he does his art on a computer, at the very least) to stumble upon this, even if he cared. If I had to guess what he probably spends any free time doing, it's watching movies and not thinking about DB.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:38 am

I highly, highly doubt it. Why would he watch some American fan-created video on YouTube? He's not even fluent in English.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:But didnt he read silver age superman comics when he was young?
Toriyama's never said anything about reading Silver Age Superman comics, or any other Western comics for that matter. He's even said (in his DB Landmark interview for instance) that he's never been much into Japanese manga, though he likes 8-Man and Astro Boy. Instead, movies seem to be his main love.
Polyphase Avatron wrote:(Although I do recall hearing that he got the idea for the Saiya-jins from watching Superman 2 with Zod and the Kryptonian criminals).
I've never heard that before. Do you remember the source?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Herms wrote:I've never heard that before. Do you remember the source?
Unfortunately no. I just recall reading it somewhere.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:13 pm

Toriyama doesn't really strike me as someone who'd use the internet all that much. At most I could see him blogging photos of his pets with how much love he's been giving Beerus lately, but even that might be too much work for him to bother with.

*Sigh*, now I kind of want to see Toriyama's cat and dog photos blog. >_>
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Toriyama would probably laugh at peoples' attempts to consistently extrapolate feats from his works.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:37 pm

MarcFBR wrote:I'd bet good money he doesn't even know what a Death Battle is in the first place.
I like these safe bets. You can keep your money.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:52 pm

MarcFBR wrote:I'd bet good money he doesn't even know what a Death Battle is in the first place.
Toriyama doesn't know what a battle to the death is? I highly doubt that, as for ScrewAttack's show. Yeah, I bet he's never heard of it.
Last edited by SSJ God Gogeta on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:58 pm

I like how some of you think that toriyama probably doesnt even use internet. But then how did he came up with the whole Ressurection of F movie. Didnt he got inspired from that you tube video 『ドラゴンボールZ 復活の「F」』 INSERT SONG: Freeza by Maximum The Hormone

If he spends time on you tube, he probably at some point came upon this whole Goku vs Superman debate either thru the ERB video that has like 55+ million views on the video or the one that screw attack made. If you still dont believe me that he never watched that Goku vs Superman death battle. Perhaps i can write him a letter to his home address "Bird Studio" in Japanese language ofcourse about this new Super saiyan god goku vs superman death battle that screw attack did recently. And even if he wont bother watching it, atleast he will be aware that it actually exists.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:07 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:I like how some of you think that toriyama probably doesnt even use internet. But then how did he came up with the whole Ressurection of F movie. Didnt he got inspired from that you tube video 『ドラゴンボールZ 復活の「F」』 INSERT SONG: Freeza by Maximum The Hormone

If he spends time on you tube, he probably at some point came upon this whole Goku vs Superman debate either thru the ERB video that has like 55+ million views on the video or the one that screw attack made. If you still dont believe me that he never watched that Goku vs Superman death battle. Perhaps i can write him a letter to his home address "Bird Studio" in Japanese language ofcourse about this new Super saiyan god goku vs superman death battle that screw attack did recently. And even if he wont bother watching it, atleast he will be aware that it actually exists.
The band Maximum the Hormone actually performs concerts, one (probably plenty) of which Toriyama attended back in 2012.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:09 pm

I am sure there are videos with 55 million views out there that you have not watched. If the dude spent years not reading his own work, and has admitted time and again how much it surprises him when people tell him how massive DBZ is outside Japan, something tells me he wouldn't go online looking at American-made DBZ videos--at least not frequently enough to see a new Death Battle. lol.

But that aside, why does it matter so much to you that he be aware of it? xD
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super