How would you feel if there were no more SS transformations?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

How would you feel if there were no more SS transformations?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Suppose in F, after absorbing the SSJG powers, Goku and Vegeta no longer needed any transformation--they now only fought in their base. Also, instead of acquiring new power-ups/forms, the characters now prioritized on attaining new moves instead. How would that make you feel? Would you have preferred that?

Personally, I think the Buu saga completely jumped the shark when it came to transformations. It made SSJ2 a thing (a.k.a the most pointless and underused transformation ever), there were kid SSJs, SSJ3, Gohan's ultimate form (if you count that), and two different types of fusion. I wish SSJ2 was Gohan's exclusive form, due to his hidden powers, while SSJ3 was basically Goku's way of forcefully substituting for that strength by utilizing his other world training, but that's another story. Disregarding SSJ4, now the new movies introduced this god stuff. With Goku absorbing SSJG, this was the perfect opportunity to just get rid of all these other forms, which Toriyama did. Only now we have SSGSS, and soon, we'll likely get extensions to it, repeating the process.

Simply put, the Buu saga went overboard, but at the very least, everything besides Ultimate Gohan had limitations/weaknesses/cons. Also, SSJ2 and 3 were part of the same extension of transformations. Nowadays, these god forms are not only a separate line of transformations, but they are perfect; there is no weakness to SSGSS unless Goku drops his guard like a moron. I don't like this. I don't like the thought of there being more of this. It's redundant, and no longer an exciting prospect. Never mind the fact that the new forms are just glorified palette swaps.

What do you think?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Re: How would you feel if there were no more SS transformati

Post by VintageSaiyan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Glorified palette swaps is right. I think you're also right about the super saiyan bargan sale going on in the Buu saga (Kids going super saiyan, ugh :thumbdown: )

Personally, I wish they would revisit the original Super Saiyans 1-3 and explore the strengths and weaknesses of each a little better.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 pm

I would be like: Thank God, finally!!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Since Dragon Ball is Boss Inflation: The Series™, I'm not sure if I see them stopping soon but if they did I wouldn't mind it. I'd love to see them return to strategizing battles instead of "LET'S PUNCH STUFF". I mean Goku can read minds and also telepathically communicate. Stuff like that and maybe teaching Instant Transmission to the rest of the team would make fights a lot easier.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:12 pm

The only way the were going to top Buu and make things interesting was introducing the likes of Gods and such and by doing this they had to introduce a new line of transformations for the Saiyans, the old line simply cannot compete as shown in BoG when Goku took on Beerus, (if they hadn't given Goku a new form it would be be pretty ridiculous, Goku couldn't defeat Buu with Super Saiyan 1,2 or 3 but he can take on a God no problem) Also the forms are less than perfect, I don't know much about SSGSS since I haven't seen the film yet but SSG had a freaking time limit, that's about as un-perfect as you can get.

Now as for why the new forms look like "glorified palette swaps" they had to make the new transformations look like how they did because we know base Goku and co and their Super Saiyan transformations we have have known it for years and years it has become pretty iconic and gets iconicer by the day so by keeping they're essence there and only tweaking stuff like the hair, colour, muscles etc it still stays true to those designs but gives Goku and etc the means to take on these Gods, in other words it still feels like that's Goku on the screen. It is the same reason why Freeza's Golden Form was not all that different from his regular final form they tweaked it whilst staying true to that form, if they had gone extreme and gave us something totally different I am sure it would take a lot of people out the film. Let's pretend SS4 didn't exist and in BoG SSG looked exactly like how SS4 how would you honestly feel? It would absolutely take me out the film I might as well have been watching a different anime, I have been so used to seeing Goku in Base, SS1,2 & 3 and suddenly he looks like that? That is why I am so glad Toriyama designed SSG, SSGSS and Golden Freeza the way he did, had this new stuff come directly have Buu saga then I probably would have wanted more from these new transformations.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:20 pm

If they remain lazy, then get rid of them and make it about training again and accomplishing feats such as what was done during Dragon Ball.

Something like Super Saiyan 4, radically different than the other forms, that's what I want.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:37 pm

I would love that! If the series returned to it's kung-fu roots without the obvious Japanese trope of ''Henshin'' and BS like Freeza's after 3 rudiculous transformations saying: ''I have one more left'' ''Golden Freeza'' which I think was Toriyama basically trolling this whole concept - I will be so happy!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Honestly depends. If SSGSS is the last transformation (which I really think is what's gonna happen) and the rest of Super ends up going the way you proposed in your what-if scenario, then I wouldn't want SSGSS to be sacrificed. If there are more transformations besides SSGSS to be expected, then yes, and it should have been a long time ago.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZMerciter2005
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZMerciter2005 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 pm

I'd be okay with no more transformations as long as SSGSS says (I'm biased - I like the cyan hair color). Let that be the final transformation and have everything else move towards strategy, new moves, and traditional style training like in DB.
Imp. Cell: "Do you think you're being CUTE?"
SSJ Vegeta: "Bitch, I'm adorable."
~ TFS DBZA Episode 50

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm

New transformations or a greater focus on strategy and feats, hmmmm......

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm

I would've said no more post-BOG and pre-F, but now that super-cute ssjg's been replaced by the pallet swap that is blueper saiyan, I honestly don't care how many more transformations they do. Do a bunch. Don't do any at all and stick with blueper saiyan. It's non-consequential to me now. ^^; I'm never getting ssjg Gokû back outside of this brief encore he's getting in Super.

I do prefer strategy battles though, if only because it's more impressive to me when I see strategies pay off than watching beam struggles.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Bullza wrote:New transformations or a greater focus on strategy and feats, hmmmm......

I echo this thought. Although, I would personally prefer that SSJ transformations to take a back seat, nothing really say that we can't have new transformations as well as focus on strategy and feats.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:37 am

Since Deviantart Saiyans and Original the Super Form DO NOT STEAL became a thing, I definitely don't want any more transformations. I'd much rather focus on more interesting moves....though knowing the creative process, it'll just be a green Kamehameha and black Final Flash labelled as new moves.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:55 am

Time to get out of the closet- ATM I barely recognise them so now they are somewhere between "meh" and "what again?".

Sure, I'd love to see new transformations with unique design, power and great plot impact, but I the only series I can think of that managed to keep them interesting was W.I.T.C.H and Legend of Korra- probably because they were finished before showrunners run out of ideas. Dragon Ball crashed with glass celling long time ago and since that first SSJ long time ago none of them managed to catch my attention. I won't cry if they follow the same path, but any change would be welcome.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:01 am

Chuquita wrote:I would've said no more post-BOG and pre-F, but now that super-cute ssjg's been replaced by the pallet swap that is blueper saiyan, I honestly don't care how many more transformations they do. Do a bunch. Don't do any at all and stick with blueper saiyan. It's non-consequential to me now. ^^; I'm never getting ssjg Gokû back outside of this brief encore he's getting in Super.

I do prefer strategy battles though, if only because it's more impressive to me when I see strategies pay off than watching beam struggles.
I totally agree, would be nice to see more team efforts and battle strategies In Super.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:04 am

Honestly, I don't want anymore transformations. It's getting really ridiculous at this point. And if they are going to make more, then at least make them creative.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 am

Oh we'll get more unfortunately for sure, I on the other hand was perfectly content with 2 & 3 being axed and just having 1 be the only one to stay as was seemingly the idea pre-FnF.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:29 am

It'd be great. It will allow more creativity with how villains are defeated.

Super_Vegetto

Post by Super_Vegetto » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:29 am

It would feel like a slap in the face.
SSJ2,3&4 live and will be better than anything you will come up with AT

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Super_Vegetto wrote:It would feel like a slap in the face.
No more transformations would be like a slap in the face why, exactly?