Is "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Re: Is "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" canon?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 am

Anybody else wish that the series should have been left the fuck alone with the exception of Kai?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:19 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Anybody else wish that the series should have been left the fuck alone with the exception of Kai?
A well-written rephrasing of this question is certainly a topic for discussion, but not necessarily here in this thread.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 am

In hindsight, making Ado and Cado remnants of the PTO wasn't the best idea. But even with them apparently going AWOL, there's nothing to say the story contradicts anything else. Tarble is even name dropped in BoG.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 pm

You guys seem to forget that the people on Earth in Super remembers Buu while the people on Earth in the 2008 Jump Special do. Can anyone one try to explain that?
Sayo-chan wrote:Anything beyond the source material is as "canon" as you want it to be.
So can make DBE canon if I want too? That's the biggest issue with no official canon. We don't need a official canon to know what fits into the main continuity of the show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:You guys seem to forget that the people on Earth in Super remembers Buu while the people on Earth in the 2008 Jump Special do. Can anyone one try to explain that?
Sayo-chan wrote:Anything beyond the source material is as "canon" as you want it to be.
So can make DBE canon if I want too? That's the biggest issue with no official canon. We don't need a official canon to know what fits into the main continuity of the show.
I'd say that's just an inconsistency with Super or the special, although I'd need to know the context to be sure. It's not like the franchise is unfamiliar with that, such as the anime acknowledging movie one, despite the minor contradictions it has with the first episode of Z.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:You guys seem to forget that the people on Earth in Super remembers Buu while the people on Earth in the 2008 Jump Special do. Can anyone one try to explain that?
If you want DBE to be cannon to you, so be it. I don't know why you would though. The main continuity as far as I'm concerned is the source material, that's it.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
This could have been an acceptable way to look at it a few years ago, but how do you even begin to use that sort of logic now? What counts as the main continuity: the manga or the anime? Manga? Okay then, which version: Jump serialization, tankobon, kanzenban, full color? Once you sort that out, what about the expanded universe material set "after" that? We have a plethora of content that is now marketed as a continuation of the series (be it prequel or sequel), but most of it contradicts something else. Who do you give the authority to and how do they determine which contradictions are minor enough to toss it into the "main continuity"? You certainly can't leave it up to all fans to decide together, because we pretty much can't agree on anything other than the fact that the franchise exists.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:10 pm

Oh shit! Sorry all! Just rewatched Super episode 1 and it seems like everything is in order with Yo! taking place 2 years after Buu and Super/BoG taking place 2 years after Yo! I guess the subs I watched a month ago weren't super accurate. Yo! is canon, sorry to waste all your time with my stupidity :lol:
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Toriyama wrote it's orginal draft script, which is also what he is doing for Super (or will do, after the FnF arc), and Tarble was referenced in BoG. So yes, it's most likely "canon".
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:21 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Toriyama wrote it's orginal draft script, which is also what he is doing for Super (or will do, after the FnF arc), and Tarble was referenced in BoG. So yes, it's most likely "canon".
Well the first part of Super is a retelling of BoG, whose original draft script was written by Toei.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Toriyama wrote it's orginal draft script, which is also what he is doing for Super (or will do, after the FnF arc), and Tarble was referenced in BoG. So yes, it's most likely "canon".
Just like it.

But I want to see if they will reference Tarble in Dragon Ball Super. It they would, that OVA will be 100% in the new chronology.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:07 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Just like it.

But I want to see if they will reference Tarble in Dragon Ball Super. It they would, that OVA will be 100% in the new chronology.
Well, not exactly. Toriyama already referenced Bardock in his manga once, yet we know how all of this ended.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:Well, not exactly. Toriyama already referenced Bardock in his manga once, yet we know how all of this ended.
It's not the same. Toriyama didn't just reference Bardock, he also briefly explained his story (the manga shows that he was the Saiyan that stood against Freeza & died along with his planet, and resembles Goku), while with Tarble, he is just mentioned, not even by name. There is also another difference, Toriyama had no involvement with the story of the TV Special, while he was involved with the story of the JSAT (he wrote its original draft script, and assisted Ooishi in writting the manga adaptation).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:58 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:Well, not exactly. Toriyama already referenced Bardock in his manga once, yet we know how all of this ended.
It's not the same. Toriyama didn't just reference Bardock, he also briefly explained his story (the manga shows that he was the Saiyan that stood against Freeza & died along with his planet, and resembles Goku), while with Tarble, he is just mentioned, not even by name. There is also another difference, Toriyama had no involvement with the story of the TV Special, while he was involved with the story of the JSAT (he wrote its original draft script, and assisted Ooishi in writting the manga adaptation).
Well, this is exactly my point. Bardock even got a scene of him similar to what was depicted in Bardock: Father of Goku, yet Toriyama changed everything about him in Dragon Ball Minus, and Tarble wasn't even mentioned by a name. Toriyama can completely change everything about this character, heck, he may even make him look differently and have another name.

Yeah, but Toriyama was the one who redraw the design of Bardock, created by Toei's staff. Did Toriyama contribute anything to design of Tarble, or anything else, related to him?
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Curiously Tarble looks very different in the manga adaptation. He looks like Vegeta except his hair goes to the side instead of pointing upwards. He seems a bit taller than the movie version.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 pm

[quote="Mystic Tien"Well, this is exactly my point. Bardock even got a scene of him similar to what was depicted in Bardock: Father of Goku, yet Toriyama changed everything about him in Dragon Ball Minus, and Tarble wasn't even mentioned by a name. Toriyama can completely change everything about this character, heck, he may even make him look differently and have another name.[/quote]
He didn't change anything from the Bardock we saw in the manga though.

But yeah, it's certainly possible that we may suddenly see a new version of Tarble's story by Toriyama, though I find it extremely unlikely at this point. But until that happens, the JSAT is the only version we have to go by.
Yeah, but Toriyama was the one who redraw the design of Bardock, created by Toei's staff. Did Toriyama contribute anything to design of Tarble, or anything else, related to him?
No from what we know, he only wrote the original draft script of the special. He also supervised & gave advices to Ooishi while she was adapting it into a manga.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He didn't change anything from the Bardock we saw in the manga though..
But Bardock didn't appear in the manga firstly. He appeared originally in Bardock: Father of Goku.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:But yeah, it's certainly possible that we may suddenly see a new version of Tarble's story by Toriyama, though I find it extremely unlikely at this point. But until that happens, the JSAT is the only version we have to go by.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:No from what we know, he only wrote the original draft script of the special. He also supervised & gave advices to Ooishi while she was adapting it into a manga.
Well, I guess we don't know from what to go here then. It can be that he was involved, and it can be that he wasn't.
Marco Polo wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:But Bardock didn't appear in the manga firstly. He appeared originally in Bardock: Father of Goku.
Doesn't matter. What we saw in the manga is what happened in the manga, and was expanded in Minus. The TV Special only acted as an inspiration for Bardock's story in the manga, and the design was Toriyama's.
Well, I guess we don't know from what to go here then. It can be that he was involved, and it can be that he wasn't.
Toriyama will write the original draft scripts for Super when it gets to the U6 arc, just like he did with the JSAT, so, it seems they are on the same level. And since Toriyama seems to consider U6 arc a story of his, I assume that he does the same for the JSAT (most likely the manga version, since he was more involved & liked it more), which is why he had a reference of it in BoG.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:51 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:But Bardock didn't appear in the manga firstly. He appeared originally in Bardock: Father of Goku.
Doesn't matter. What we saw in the manga is what happened in the manga, and was expanded in Minus. The TV Special only acted as an inspiration for Bardock's story in the manga, and the design was Toriyama's.
Toriyama will write the original draft scripts for Super when it gets to the U6 arc, just like he did with the JSAT, so, it seems they are on the same level. And since Toriyama seems to consider U6 arc a story of his, I assume that he does the same for the JSAT (most likely the manga version, since he was more involved & liked it more), which is why he had a reference of it in BoG.
But this is what I am speaking about. Tarble's special (manga version) may also become an inspiration for Toriyama to include Tarble in Super, a new movie or something else.
Marco Polo wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:But this is what I am speaking about. Tarble's special (manga version) may also become an inspiration for Toriyama to include Tarble in Super, a new movie or something else.
That's true, it is possible that we may see a new version of his story. But we haven't so far, and the JSAT had Toriyama's involvement, unlike the TV Special, so until a new version happens (if ever), we can take the JSAT into account.