Favorite Filler

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Favorite Filler

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Been seeing lots of negativity on the forum lately, a lot of which I contributed to so I decided to talk about something positive for a change and discuss mine (and your) favorite examples of filler from either DB or DBZ.

Just to kick things off I'll start out with "Trouble on Arlia" a fairly early episode in the original Z anime's run but a pretty cool one nonetheless. I mostly like it for how much of a subversion it is to a pretty standard formula. We've seen it all before, evil space tyrant forces his people into horrible slavery, some outsider shows up, becomes space Jesus and defeats the emperor, saving the alien world like a proper hero! Well, not this time.

What I like is that Vegeta & Nappa go there both to just f*ck about for a bit and see if the planets worth something. They don't care about the Arlian's plight or the poor state of the planet on any morally righteous level, they're just a smidge annoyed they can't sell it for any money. It serves as a good way of showing just what kind of threat the Z fighters are dealing with, especially with the ending.

They do the expected story thing: confront of the tyrant, beat up his men and defeat him once and for all. The one Arlian who wasn't hostile to them proclaims them heroes and legends and that they'll always be welcome to Arlia. What do Nappa and Vegeta think about this whole development? They blow Arlia the f*ck up of course! It does a great job of showing their overwhelming power, lack of any morality and gives you just a tantalizing little nugget of what the upcoming battle will be like.

What were some of your favorite fillers?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Favorite Filler

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

INB4 everyone else says "The Driving Episode."

I'm going with....The Driving Episode :P , Turtle's Birthday, all of the filler after going into Buu's body throughout the rest of the show, both filler arcs, and most of Gohan's filler in the Saiyan Arc.

The first is comedy gold, the second is one of the best Krillin-based episodes in the franchise, I love Goku and Vegeta's interactions in Buu's body, the whole fight with Pure Buu is amazing, Garlic Junior is a fun arc that lets the other characters shine for a while, the Otherworld Tournament has so many weird characters that I never get tired of it, and I love how the anime takes more time to build on the Gohan/Piccolo relationship.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:21 pm

I know this thread has been done many times, but mine are:

Trouble on Arlia /Terror on Arlia: This one made you root for Vegeta and Nappa (the blatantly evil guys) since the Arlian King was portrayed as such a jerk@ss. The fight with the Arlian mutant at the end was also really neat.

Home for Infinite Losers/Goz and Mez: I felt the Saiyan Saga needed a lighthearted episode like this, since it was very doom and gloom most of the time.

Princess Snake's Hospitality/Princess Snake: Good character development episode for Goku. The Piccolo vs Piccolo training scenes were also enjoyable.

Showdown in the Past/Pendulum Room Terror: This episode had a sort of 'horror movie' feel to it which i really like.

Overall i think the Saiyan Saga had the most interesting filler.
Last edited by Kakacarrottop on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:INB4 everyone else says "The Driving Episode."

I'm going with....The Driving Episode :P , Turtle's Birthday, all of the filler after going into Buu's body throughout the rest of the show, both filler arcs, and most of Gohan's filler in the Saiyan Arc.

The first is comedy gold, the second is one of the best Krillin-based episodes in the franchise, I love Goku and Vegeta's interactions in Buu's body, the whole fight with Pure Buu is amazing, Garlic Junior is a fun arc that lets the other characters shine for a while, the Otherworld Tournament has so many weird characters that I never get tired of it, and I love how the anime takes more time to build on the Gohan/Piccolo relationship.
I definitely agree on the last point, Piccolo's sacrifice doesn't feel entirely earned in the manga or Kai. Z giving those two extra material to work with made his sacrifice a lot better there.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Goku drinking the water that makes him strong enough to defeat Piccolo. In the manga, Karin just brings him the water. In the anime, Goku has to search for it and then there's a great scene where the Darkness tries to tempt him. When Goku refuses to just stay in the cave with illusions of his friends, the Darkness begins trying to kill him and ends with Goku hanging by one hand off a cliff holding on to Yajirobe with his other, refusing to drop him even though he won't be able to save him with one hand, and if he lets go, he can save himself. Goku refuses to let go and is rewarded by being allowed to drink the water. It's far better drama than in the original story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, to be fair I loved all the filler. What I enjoyed the most were fillers about Gohan's training, which greatly developed him, and Otherworld tournament, which introduced to us a lot of strong fighters, similarly to what original Dragon Ball did. Gohan's life in high school in the beginning of Buu arc was also quite interesting. I also loved the return of Tao Pai Pai, as well as driving episode. Aforementioned Arlia and Garlick Jr. arc were also quite good to me. I greatly enjoyed all flashbacks of Kami. In original Dragon Ball I loved pretty much everything about young Roshi, and fillers about demons. The flashback of Piccolo Jr. was a nice touch. And the last arc with participation of Pilaf was also really fine.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Forgot about the Tao episodes. Both of those were great, too.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Vegeta in space. That should have been made into a movie tbh.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:55 pm

The driving episode, obviously. One of the best fillers in Anime history.
Goku and Vegeta's adventures inside Boo.

I know you wanted to talk about positive things but, do we have a topic for worst fillers? If there isn't then there should be...
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Krillin vs Cell when I was younger. Because your first run of the Cell Saga is kind of depressing to watch. Krillin made things better. :lol:

I suppose now, Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:56 pm

I'll be that guy, but I'm not overly fond of the driving episode. Thankfully it was only 1 episode.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:03 pm

The most "meaningful" filler to me is the filler they put in the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight. The anime made that fight way better than the manga version for sure. As for filler episodes, I've always liked Gohan and the Robot a lot. The driving episode is hilarious as well.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:07 pm

I like the Pendulum Room episode. The war torn city is how I imagine Planet Vegeta to be much more than the seeming technologically advanced society that's shown in the Bardock TV special. I also liked seeing the B-Team (I say that with affection) given something to do.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:04 pm

Of course, the driving episode!
I even made an AMV about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrHIcT_ZCHE :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:06 pm

- The Driving Episode: That filler episode is timeless. I always get a major laugh out of it.
- Everything about involving the Great Saiyaman: The slice of life/superhero parody antics were always such a riot. Gohan's social awkwardness is such unappreciated comedy gold.
- The Otherworld Tournament: Such an awesome throwback to the tournaments during the old school days of Dragon Ball but with a few cool twists.
- Gohan's training and survival prior to the Saiyan's arrival: This is arguably my favorite filler in all of Dragon Ball. The way that Gohan's character was developed and evolved was fantastic. You really saw how the trials and tribulations transformed Gohan from a scared little boy into a child solider. I became a fan of the character because of those filler episodes. They were that well done.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Driving episode. Fun times all around! Nuff said!

Gohan's training leading up to the saiyan's arrival. It's nice to see the starting point for the bond between Gohan and Piccolo grow.

Otherworld Tournament. Paikuhan.

Also small shout out to the fight against the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet! YAMCHA BEAT RECOOME!
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:16 pm

The Haski story line in the Red Ribbon arc, Mr. Robot, the driving arc and the entire Great Saiyaman arc, which was largely anime-original. I love what the anime did with the early Boo arc.

Oh, also Goku having to retrieve a Dragon Ball from Tao Pai Pai before the Cell Games.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Turtle's Birthday
Oh shit, Turtle's birthday! I love how Kame Sennin calls everyone on the phone telling them it's an emergency. Great stuff.

Also, what's that episode where Goku's tossing fish up from the water at Kame House and he finds Turtle's long-lost son? I think it's near the beginning of the General Blue material. Sooooo good. One of my hardest laughs in the series.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Cipher wrote:The Haski story line in the Red Ribbon arc, Mr. Robot, the driving arc and the entire Great Saiyaman arc, which was largely anime-original. I love what the anime did with the early Boo arc.

Oh, also Goku having to retrieve a Dragon Ball from Tao Pai Pai before the Cell Games.
I'm not sure whether I prefer the Robot episode or the Dinosaur one. Both are excellent episodes, in my opinion, which is especially impressive considering they're filler.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:28 pm

No one mentioning the episode where Gohan nearly gets home but chooses to go back into the wasteland to train with Piccolo? I am disappoint.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:No one mentioning the episode where Gohan nearly gets home but chooses to go back into the wasteland to train with Piccolo? I am disappoint.
The orphan episode? It was good too. Just not as good as the Dinosaur/Robot episodes.

I did say "all the Gohan filler in the Saiyan Arc."
Malik_DBNA wrote: