What's your opinion on the new characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

What's your opinion on the new characters?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:23 pm

By "new" I mean every character that was introduced in the Dragon Ball universe ever since its revival around the mid 2000s. So, characters like DBO/XV's Towa, Mira, Demigra, Kaioshin of Time and Cell-X; Jaco, Oomori and Tights; Beerus, Whis, Champa and his assistant and any other recently introduced characters that I may be forgetting. And what do you expect from them in Super (or in the DBO/XV characters, if you want to see them in Super or not), or how do you want them to change?

About Towa and Mira, I think they're somewhat boring. I like Towa's origin, being Dabra's brother and coming from the Demon Realm (since that has barely been explored), but Mira seems like a rehash of Cell, he'd be better if his personality had more aspects to it than being serious 24/7. Towa's personality is better and she's a lot more interesting but she hasn't done enough yet to really capture my interest, perhaps XV2's storyline will do so. I like their designs, though, Mira reminds me of Archer from Fate/Stay Night. Demigra is even more boring, I really like both of his voice actors and his first form's design (though I despise his final form's), but he's really not that interesting; his relationship with the Kaioshin of Time is cool, I guess? The whole Demon God thing didn't really fit in with me, I like how XV portrayed him as weaker than Beerus and Whis though, normally every new threat in Dragon Ball is just stronger than the last.

Kaioshin of Time is great. She's funny and entertaining, and probably my favourite female character of the franchise, on par with Bulma. Though I despise loli characters, I don't really mind her design, probably because she's (thankfully) not being portrayed in a sexual manner. So, I'd gladly have her make a small appearance in Super if I could, hopefully without Time Patrol Trunks' appearance though. Tokitoki is a bird but he's a part of what makes the Kaioshin of Time funny, so he's okay?

Jaco is fantastic. He's really unique and extremely entertaining. For some reason, I didn't really like him that much the first time I read Jaco, possibly because I didn't get Toriyama's humor as well at the time, but he's one of my favorites now, in my top ten of the series definitely. I hope to see him a lot in Super, maybe having a special episode dedicated to him in the F arc, of how he found about Freeza and his journey to Earth to warn Bulma; and hopefully he sticks around for the U6 arc too. Oomori is okay but he doesn't really have something about his character that makes him special, he's just kinda there. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Super, but I don't think he'd fit at all, only if they need to time travel and Bulma asks for his help (certainly would make it even more believable how Future Bulma built a time machine on her own). Tights reminds me of Bulma, and not just because she's her sister (a predictable and, unfortunately, unnecessary and kinda stupid decision), and since I like Bulma, she's up there as well. I'd like to see her make a very small appearance in Super, if only of her and Bulma interacting. This BoG arc was a wasted opportunity to have her attend Bulma's party, but oh well.

Beerus and Whis are the best characters of the franchise ever since future Trunks, I personally think so at least. They have such great chemistry together and they interact with the other characters very nicely as well. I dislike how Beerus is being shoehorned into everything though, but it seems like that isn't going away any time soon because it looks like he's the teacher's pet. We know close to nothing about Champa and his assistant, but I really like the mysterious vibe we're getting from her (even if it's only because Toei is taking their time to adapt BoG and F without revealing anything about the U6 arc), it's the first time since Cell this has happened.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What's your opinion on the new characters?

Post by funrush » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Beerus and Whis serve as threats initially, then become characters who serve to help the main characters grow, all while still maintaining their ability to lighten scenes with comic relief. Plus they have rad character designs. They're my favorite things to come out of the new movies. Jaco's a pleasure and I don't know if I want him in more stuff cause they'd probably have to explain why he happened to miss Raditz, Vegeta, and Freeza landing on Earth the first time, but manages to show up now. I do I love everything he's been in so far though, and he made RoF a lot funnier. I hope they give him his own special!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:46 pm

I think Jaco and Beerus (especially the latter) are two of the best characters to come out of the series. They are such fun characters to watch. It also helps that Beerus has a fantastic voice actor (I'm not sure about Jaco; I haven't seen Revival of F)!
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Jaco, Beerus and Whis are aces.

The video-game crew, I could live without.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:01 pm

No comment on Towa and Mira, but I like Demigra, just for being a hammy, over the top villain. I like hammy, over the top villains.

Tarble's okay, just because of the contrast he serves as for Vegeta.

Beerus is one of my favorite characters in the franchise. He's hilarious, and he gives us an alternate view into the mythology of the DB universe. Same with Whis, if only for his sarcastic attitude towards Beerus.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Beerus (even if his obsession with food is getting a bit old) and Whis are the only new ones I like.

Haven't read Jaco yet.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Kaioshin of Time is super adorable and an excellent addition to the franchise. I like her dynamic with Trunks in Xenoverse.

Towa, while I find it creepy she slept with Mira (but totally expected it), I like how sneaky and conniving she is. There's a depth to her that hasn't fully been explore that I'd love to see, especially concerning her brother, Dabra.

I'm probably the only one that hates Beerus. I think he's unnecessary and forces the already haphazardly created universe to fall apart ever so slightly more than it already has. I'd be fine if the duo weren't gods, but God's god's god's god's is pretty fucking stupid. Whis, he's less fleshed out than Beerus. I don't really have an opinion of him.

Cell-X, pretty good concept that needs some more exposure. We need more Cell, I'd also like him to replace Goku. He's clearly superior to Goku, and he also killed him.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:43 pm

How yeah, Towa too.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Beerus and Whis are great. Especially Whis, with being so mystic and cold. He makes an impression of being some funny attendant or even servant of Beerus at first, but we learn that there is much more to him, and he actually has his reasons to hang out with Beerus, even if we don't know what they are.

Jacko is also very funny and entertaining, sadly enough he is not presented much in anime, except this one time in Revival of F.

Kaioshin of Time is a nice change. For once we get a God being female (We don't know who this Female Whis is, and she appeared after anyway), actually being smart (how many smart female characters besides Bulma can we count) and probably being strong (she should be at the very least as strong as East Kaioshin, right?). She is also quite amusing as a character, and funny. Her relationships with Future Trunks is a nice touch.

Beerus, while being great, has his share of flaws, which I hope, he gets over with, or he has really big problems in a future, when something stronger than him appears, or if/when Goku/Vegeta surpass him. He also seem to lack a common knowledge about the universe. As for the others...

Golden Frieza... Meh, I don't want to comment this.

Tagoma... Nice design, I guess, quite smart, at once, and even dares to object to Frieza.

Sorbet... Well, he is cunning and witty, I guess.

This random guy who fought Beerus in Super was really cool.

Towa and Mira are quite interesting, and nice additions, even though Towa is not really an addition, considering that it was in Dragon Ball Online. Didn't get to Demigra, so can't comment much about it.

Well, that's all, I guess.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Most of them have been great. Tarble and his wife who I can't be bothered to google the name of since I forgot it are pretty funny; the former especially giving compliment to Vegeta's personality and lore. Beerus and Whis are awesome and are clearly the best additions to the series in years. I'd say I actually prefer they focus more on the newer characters as opposed to the more tired out ones. Oh and Jaco is great too! In fact, these new characters feel more like characters you'd see in early Dragon Ball which is a good thing!
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Mystic Tien wrote: Kaioshin of Time is a nice change. For once we get a God being female.
Kaioshins don't have sexes. She just appears female, thus we use a feminine pronoun.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote: Kaioshin of Time is a nice change. For once we get a God being female.
Kaioshins don't have sexes. She just appears female, thus we use a feminine pronoun.
And we already had West Kaioshin.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:05 pm

The only new characters I care for are Beerus, Whis and Jaco. Those three are so hilarious, original and entertaining, and add so much depth to the Dragon Ball universe and mythology. Especially Beerus and Whis. Those two carry so much mystique about them that hasn't been seen in a Dragon Ball character since Freeza.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:13 pm

I think I'd like Beerus more if he wasn't being shoved into everything and being given so much hype. Especially in FNF, where he serves no purpose other than repeating the same unfunny joke over and over, and still gets to act superior and invincible even though Goku and Vegeta can fuse and kick his ass now.

Demigra's okay-ish. Not a lot to say about him. I haven't read Jaco. I dislike Whis's design, but I'm not as sick of him as I am of Beerus. Tarble, Abo, and Kado are just kinda there. I liked the Kaioshin of Time. Tagoma and Shisami... aren't really characters. Sorbet is arguably the real villain of faff, but faff sucked, so... eh. I liked that he kinda reminded me of Babidi.

EDIT: I also don't like how Beerus violates the ascending scale of villain threats; to me, it never really made sense to have a serious villain after Buu. As a god, we already surpassed him on the threat escalation scale at the beginning of the Buu arc, where we were introduced to the monster that killed or ate the five highest gods in the universe. He also really doesn't have any interesting abilities or skills other than being really strong. I almost think he would have worked better if he wasn't actually played up as a greater threat than Buu, e.g. more on Goku's own level rather than way above him and everybody else, and was just on Earth to screw around (well, he basically already was).
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Sayo-chan wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote: Kaioshin of Time is a nice change. For once we get a God being female.
And we already had West Kaioshin.
Yeah, I remember that. But we barely got anything about her.
Sayo-chan wrote:
Well, I guess, I should say that she looks female... Or something.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 pm

There was also East Kaio.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:18 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:There was also East Kaio.

And her too. Okay, I will change my statement, finally the God which looks like a female is given a focus in a new material :D
Marco Polo wrote:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Cell X Jr. is my favorite character ever.
<3

But seriously, Towa, Mira, and Cell X are very interesting... concepts, atm. Especially the latter, which can be the Cell from the present timeline, only manipulated by Towa's scientific prowess to forcefully attain its "perfect" form without the androids, except, well, it's an unstable beast, as a result. If there was a Time Patrol spin-off, Cell X, not Demigra, should be the final end boss.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Everyone else's been covered already so I will just say I like Tarble a lot, dun care if everyone else hates him

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Basaku wrote:Everyone else's been covered already so I will just say I like Tarble a lot, dun care if everyone else hates him
I don't know about everyone else, but I actually like Tarble. The idea of Vegeta's brother being a peace-loving Saiyan that was banished from the planet and royal family is hilarious! :lol: It's also so in character for Vegeta to have never mentioned him.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)