Why does Vegeta keep calling Goku, Kakarot

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Why does Vegeta keep calling Goku, Kakarot

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:59 am

Goku doesn't consider it, his actual or real name. He much prefers his Earthling name and I think he considers himself more Earthling than Saiyan.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why does Vegeta keep calling Goku, Kakarot

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 am

Because of the importance that Vegeta puts on being saiyan. Goku is a pure-blood saiyan, that was born on planet Vegeta and named, by his saiyan parents, as Kakarot. So, to Vegeta, what name Goku wants to be called by is irrelevant. He is Kakarot. His adoptive earthling name is irrelevant and Vegeta probably considers the use of such a name instead of his proper saiyan one as shameful.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:08 am

Saiyajin Pride.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Gokû is Vegeta's only everyday reminder of his people. Vegeta calls him who he sees, or wants to see him as.

I do think it's interesting how many nicknames Gokû's racked up compared to the rest of the cast.
Son-kun - Bulma
Gokû-sa - Chi-Chi
Son - Piccolo until they become friendlier
Kakarrotto - Vegeta
Gokû-chan - Grand Kai in the tournament filler and movie 12
Gokû-kun - Beerus in Super
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Old habits, stubbornness, and tribal identity. Same reason some fans still stick with "Bills".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Herms wrote:Old habits, stubbornness, and tribal identity. Same reason some fans still stick with "Bills".
Really? I haven't heard anyone call him that since before the english dub came out..

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
Herms wrote:Old habits, stubbornness, and tribal identity. Same reason some fans still stick with "Bills".
Really? I haven't heard anyone call him that since before the english dub came out..
Pretty sure some official dubs use that name(was it one of the latino dubs per chance?), so it would be normal for that part of the fanbase to refer to him as Bills.
And really, when it's said in japanese, most of the times it sounds like Bills to me. The English dub pronounces it pretty clearly, so you can understand the name pun, but they go and ruin it with Whis(pronounced like Weezing, but without the ing), when it should sound like Whiskey :evil:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:54 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:
Pretty sure some official dubs use that name(was it one of the latino dubs per chance?), so it would be normal for that part of the fanbase to refer to him as Bills.
And really, when it's said in japanese, most of the times it sounds like Bills to me. The English dub pronounces it pretty clearly, so you can understand the name pun, but they go and ruin it with Whis(pronounced like Weezing, but without the ing), when it should sound like Whiskey :evil:
The Japanese pronounciation sounds more like Beers to me than Bills.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:01 pm

I'm already sorry I brought it up...

Anyway, there is that one random Cell arc panel where Vegeta calls Goku "Goku", but that's probably just a mistake.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Kakaraot is Goku's Saiyan birth name and Vegeta will always address him as such as long as Goku can turn his hair blonde.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 pm

It's no different from Kryptonians calling Superman "Kal-El" though he (at least post-Crisis) thinks himself first as Clark Kent. Grant there are many who aren't aware of that, but the point still stands.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
I've seen a few fans call him "Bills" since the dub was released.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:58 pm

It's no different from Kryptonians calling Superman "Kal-El" though he (at least post-Crisis) thinks himself first as Clark Kent.
Good point, and I've never understood why Clark would ever think of himself as Kal-El.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Herms wrote:I'm already sorry I brought it up...

Anyway, there is that one random Cell arc panel where Vegeta calls Goku "Goku", but that's probably just a mistake.
Do you have a scan of that?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:21 am

Additionally, Raditz was Vegeta's partner according to DB Minus, so there is a possibility that Vegeta already heard about Kakarot from Raditz way back then and maybe even met him in passing in one of those tubes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Because Vegeta is a hipster. He doesn't refer to malt liquor as "beer" but rather "lager." He doesn't refer to Super Saiyan as "Super Saiyan," but rather as "Soopa Saiya-Jin." Vegeta doesn't refer to CM Punk as "CM Punk," but rather, "Phil."

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Chuquita wrote:Son - Piccolo until they become friendlier
I could be wrong, but I feel like he uses that more after they become friendlier. Prior to that, he usually seemed to use the full "Son Goku" when referring to him. Oh, and don't forget Tenshinhan uses Son on occasion too!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:17 am

I'm more puzzled as to why certain fans actually call him Kakarot.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:20 am

nickzambuto wrote:I'm more puzzled as to why certain fans actually call him Kakarot.
They do? :wtf:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:11 am

*Nods* Yup, there used to be users on here who would call Gokû "Kakarot". I don't remember any of their handles, but I feel there were at least 3 different users who did that at some point.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Son - Piccolo until they become friendlier
I could be wrong, but I feel like he uses that more after they become friendlier. Prior to that, he usually seemed to use the full "Son Goku" when referring to him. Oh, and don't forget Tenshinhan uses Son on occasion too!
That sounds right; I think I was just confusing remembering when I'd heard Piccolo call him by his family name.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!