Dragon Ball Z: Top 15 Funniest Alternations & Censoring

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Top 15 Funniest Alternations & Censoring

Post by Ree » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Which is a few out of 15, you dont know what i think of the others.

1. Never done that and every dub is shitty to someone even if they may not have a good reason so if I'm gonna believe you that means we have all done it
2. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it
3. I don't bash them, bashing is calling them names and making fun of their appearance, I CRITICIZE, there is a difference
In short we are all "biased"
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Ree wrote:Which is a few out of 15, you dont know what i think of the others.

1. Never done that and every dub is shitty to someone even if they may not have a good reason so if I'm gonna believe you that means we have all done it
2. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it
3. I don't bash them, bashing is calling them names and making fun of their appearance, I CRITICIZE, there is a difference
In short we are all "biased"
You criticize them for often ridiculous and sometimes contradictory reasons.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Well in point two I wasn't insulting you and I never said that there was any thing wrong with it.
To quote TFS vegeta "leaving now".
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Ree wrote:I GET IT
i just don't CARE which does NOT make me hypocritical
I would have called out any other company for the truck thing
You're right, it's not hypocritical.

It's just plain ignorant to claim that one throw away line brings an otherwise amazing dub down to the level of one that fundamentally changes the nature of the story with it's edits.

Seriously, that trucker surviving = "YOUR FATHER WAS A BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!" ?

Or changing Gokuu's entire personality and his motivations? Yeah, that's where Super Gokuman originally came from, the Ocean dub. Season 3 of Funimation's original dub just followed in it's footsteps. Kai corrects this, making him once more like his original self, a carefree guy whose motivation is to seek out strong opponents.

But no, continue saying that "putting my foot down" is as bad as "Having these balls brings me such joy, I want to caress them!!"

Really, go right ahead.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:25 pm

soppa saia people no you didn't but you listed it with the others
I think that would be best for both of us but idk

ABEDhow is it different from your criticisms of these people?

Kirby Morrow
Stephanie Nadolny
Justin Cooke
Peter Kelamis

Blackstripe before I go I just have to say I didn't claim it brought the dub down, again Kai does NOT suck because of censorship
I don't remember that balls line but it sucks
Ill reply to the rest of your post later

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:27 pm

https://youtu.be/AnxF3McTkoo

There you go.

Truly, if only Kai could live up to this standard of quality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:29 pm

ABEDhow is it different from your criticisms of these people?

Kirby Morrow
Stephanie Nadolny
Justin Cooke
Peter Kelamis
Nothing I wrote is remotely as ridiculous as "he doesn't sound Namekian enough" or that Sabat's Vegeta voice was too deep for a 29 YEAR OLD. I have legitimate reasons for not liking those voices. Nadolny and Cooke are bad actors, Morrow's voice lacks the energy to play Goku and is bland, and Kelamis gives weird, unnatural, and annoying line deliveries.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Blackstripe wrote:
Ree wrote:I GET IT
i just don't CARE which does NOT make me hypocritical
I would have called out any other company for the truck thing
You're right, it's not hypocritical.

It's just plain ignorant to claim that one throw away line brings an otherwise amazing dub down to the level of one that fundamentally changes the nature of the story with it's edits.

Seriously, that trucker surviving = "YOUR FATHER WAS A BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!" ?

Or changing Gokuu's entire personality and his motivations? Yeah, that's where Super Gokuman originally came from, the Ocean dub. Season 3 of Funimation's original dub just followed in it's footsteps. Kai corrects this, making him once more like his original self, a carefree guy whose motivation is to seek out strong opponents.

But no, continue saying that "putting my foot down" is as bad as "Having these balls brings me such joy, I want to caress them!!"

Really, go right ahead.
Once again blackstirpe you have sum up my entire thoughts in one post. Bravo :clap:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 am

I'm back, time to attack some points :P

Blackstripe
Again Kai does NOT suck because of censoring and i never said they were comparable in quality either
The scientist one is bad but if I recall right dub viewers did not know Bardock
I'm aware Ocean made him like a superhero but season 3 from what I know exaggerated it which is why people waited until then to complain
"I know the odds are against me but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!" Sounds personality-neutral
The "nightmare to you" speech does not sound like anything anyone would say except a hero, or a superhero wannabe
but dub viewers didn't know the real Goku so it wasn't OOC to them

ABED
instead you write "his laugh sounds like Woody Woodpecker, Krusty, Fran, whoever else you said before". and "her voice goes up and down like a cartoon character" which isn't bad but then you say no one talks like DBZ characters so it's okay for Goten to sound how he does
Too deep: I will rephrase this one: the deep voice does not match his design and he sounds more like 40-50'

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:41 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Vegeta's "radical weaponry" and "brilliant scientist" lines demonstrate how thoroughly the writers didn't understand the source material. And the apple tree edit has convinced me that George Lucas actually doesn't make the most pointless edits in the world.
Well since Bardock's backstory hadn't been introduced yet, it wouldn't have been so far-fetched. There are plenty of 'brilliant scientists' in the source material (Bulma, Dr. Briefs, Dr. Gero - although he hadn't been introduced yet either, etc.)

The real problem was that they felt the need to change Vegeta's explanation of the technique to something completely different for no real reason.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm aware Ocean made him like a superhero but season 3 from what I know exaggerated it which is why people waited until then to complain
"I know the odds are against me but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!" Sounds personality-neutral
The "nightmare to you" speech does not sound like anything anyone would say except a hero, or a superhero wannabe
but dub viewers didn't know the real Goku so it wasn't OOC to them

ABED
instead you write "his laugh sounds like Woody Woodpecker, Krusty, Fran, whoever else you said before". and "her voice goes up and down like a cartoon character" which isn't bad but then you say no one talks like DBZ characters so it's okay for Goten to sound how he does
Too deep: I will rephrase this one: the deep voice does not match his design and he sounds more like 40-50'
People complained about that for years, and it is still out of character regardless of whether the fans knew it or not. The character is the one created by Akira Toriyama.

It's a matter of degrees, and Goten's voice is far more believable than Nadolny, and I wouldn't have said that even a year ago. The voice has greatly improved.

You haven't rephrased anything. Why is the voice too deep for the design, and have you ever met a 50 year old? They don't sound like Vegeta.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Deleted Namakian baby
Some funny lines especially the one with Gohan :lol:

https://youtu.be/Bu4I26N5vX0
https://youtu.be/gsXU6QADPe0
https://youtu.be/aIzNiPI-LjY
https://youtu.be/00BnuVEzYJ8

I Didn't use to like Funimation old dub because it was so different from the original, But now that's the main reason I like Funimation old dub. very good atmosphere and fun to watch if you don't compare it to the original all the time.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 am

ABED:
Yeah but more people complained in season 3 because of exaggeration. its out of character but by dub standards only season 3 might be considered OOC or flanderization. for some people the character is the dub version

"It's a matter of degrees," yor ripped apart YOUR OWN POINT that you made above

There is little youth in the voice and he is portrayed as small in the earliest seasons. they don't sound exact but they sound close but no one sounds exactly like Vegeta. and it can sound old at times like when he did that bingo scene.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 am

People complained more about season 3 because that was DB's heyday and the internet was more prevalent then.
for some people the character is the dub version
But that's NOT the character, it's a bastardized version of the character. Goku is the guy that Toriyama created.
"It's a matter of degrees," yor ripped apart YOUR OWN POINT that you made above
How do you figure?
There is little youth in the voice and he is portrayed as small in the earliest seasons. they don't sound exact but they sound close but no one sounds exactly like Vegeta. and it can sound old at times like when he did that bingo scene.
Of course no one sounds like Vegeta, but within this context, it sounds natural. FYI 40 years old IS NOT old.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 pm

Yet when i look at old sites through The Wayback Machine and archive.today and even some posts here they all mainly complain about season 3 and i think that's because the lines before season 3 sounded more personality neutral

That part I quoted could apply to hero Goku: when discussing Goku as a superhero what is the first thing that comes to mind? The nightmare to you speech

40 isn't old exactly but its approaching, plus i said 40-50

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I was there, I remember it vividly, people complained PLENTY about the Ocean dub scripts. Yes, season 3 got much worse. That's because it was worse.

40 isn't old exactly but its approaching, plus i said 40-50
1, not for a Saiyan, and the only thing I can say is that Sabat's Vegeta doesn't ever sound that old. At most, late 30s.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Not denying that but complains about the character as a superhero almost never seemed to come up
And yes season 3 is trash

Late 30s is still far from 27 and its close to 40

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:11 pm

Ree wrote:Not denying that but complains about the character as a superhero almost never seemed to come up
And yes season 3 is trash

Late 30s is still far from 27 and its close to 40
It's still close to late 20s and Vegeta was in his 30s for most of the time we see him, and even late 30s is very young. Point being, at no point does Sabat sound old.

Maybe not the words superhero, but many did imply Goku wasn't the same in the dub. For instance, a lot was made about Goku's speech to Kuririn about not killing Vegeta. It was often pionted out that it wasn't as impactful and the original Goku doesn't bring up mercy.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Ree wrote:Yet when i look at old sites through The Wayback Machine and archive.today and even some posts here
It's impossible for you to actually view the real discussions that took place in their entirety. Most of those sites/areas are totally gone from the web, and what archives sites like the Way Back Machine that DO have do not even remotely contain the wealth of extra discussions that were out there.

Our own forum here only has data going back to January 2004. You're never going to see the actual salt from 1999.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:35 pm

VegettoEX
Thanks for informing me, it seemed like only dbz uncensored had data from the 90s a, this saves me a lot of time :)

ABED
This can keep going until eventually we reach numbers so low everyone forgets the original argument

Okay but the point is season 3 was exaggerated so even dub only watchers might notice