Females voicing adult male characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Females voicing adult male characters

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:44 am

So apparently the English fan base is very one-sided on Goku's Japanese voice of Nozawa voicing him. Are there any other Adult male characters in other anime out there that are voiced by women? I am only familiar with Nozawa's uniqueness as well as the seiyuu who voices Kuririn.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Re: Females voicing adult male characters

Post by Sayo-chan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:01 am

Well, that depends. Maybe the US fanbase holds her in contempt, but I'm not sure that's the consensus in all English speaking countries.

Luffy from One Piece is voiced by Mayumi Tanaka. What exactly is the relevance of this though? Are you wanting us to find examples and gauge the English fanbase's reactions in order to compare and contrast them with the reactions to Goku's?
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:21 am

Sayo-chan wrote:Well, that depends. Maybe the US fanbase holds her in contempt, but I'm not sure that's the consensus in all English speaking countries.

Luffy from One Piece is voiced by Mayumi Tanaka. What exactly is the relevance of this though? Are you wanting us to find examples and gauge the English fanbase's reactions in order to compare and contrast them with the reactions to Goku's?
Not necessarily. I mean yes, I would like to know examples. The hate for Nozawa is getting out of hand wherever you go on the internet outside of Kanzenshuu, and hell, even in real life. It would be nice to know who voices who outside of Dragon Ball to have that particular knowledge. Because it seems funny how someone hates on Nozawa for voicing a male, but then afterwards, watches One Piece subbed. Lol.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:56 am

No sure about how many women voice adult main characters but as far shounen main characters go:
Goku, Kenshin, Luffy, Naruto, Gon (99/2011), Edward Elric, Yoh Asakura etc.. are all voice by women. Its pretty comnon in Japan.

From these list Goku and Naruto grew up and kept the same women voice actor. But people only bitch about Goku's voice.
Its easy to figure why. Hypocrisy at his best,
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:10 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:No sure about how many women voice adult main characters but as far shounen main characters go:
Goku, Kenshin, Luffy, Naruto, Gon (99/2011), Edward Elric, Yoh Asakura etc.. are all voice by women. Its pretty comnon in Japan.

From these list Goku and Naruto grew up and kept the same women voice actor. But people only bitch about Goku's voice.
Its easy to figure why. Hypocrisy at his best,
Isn't Luffy 19 and still voiced by a woman too?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Hypocrisy at his best,
I wouldn't go as far to say that it's hypocritical. Nozawa's voice for Goku is unique, even for a woman voicing a man. From my personal experience of sharing the JPN version with friends and family, it has never failed to raise an eyebrow.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:26 am

Tyro wrote:
Nozawa's voice for Goku is unique, even for a woman voicing a man. From my personal experience of sharing the JPN version with friends and family, it has never failed to raise an eyebrow.
Yeah, it comes across as androgynous at times. Many times I've seen some of her American critics jump on the fact she's old only after they learn she is, proving they didn't initially think Goku sounded old.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:08 am

Sayo-chan wrote:
Tyro wrote:
Nozawa's voice for Goku is unique, even for a woman voicing a man. From my personal experience of sharing the JPN version with friends and family, it has never failed to raise an eyebrow.
Yeah, it comes across as androgynous at times. Many times I've seen some of her American critics jump on the fact she's old only after they learn she is, proving they didn't initially think Goku sounded old.
'Muricans for some reason also believe Nozawa has been an old lady her whole life.. Even in the Z series, which is almost 30 years old, they somehow think an old lady is voicing Goku and "sounds like an old lady". Like, since when do women in their 50's sound like old ladies.

Hell, I even came across a fan once who said "you wouldn't support a man voicing Bulma would you? So why do you like a lady voicing a man."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:45 am

I generally don't mind females voicing males and don't find it particularly distracting for someone like Naruto or Luffy, their voices seem to fit really well. However there is something laughable about a character that looks like this

Sounding like a little old lady. I was watching One Piece one day and there was a character named Dr Kureha who was a really old woman and I could tell straight away it was Goku's voice and I usually can't separate Japanese voice actors at all.

The criticism doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:04 am

It's also worth noting that it's not just US fans who feel this way. For that matter, it's also not just English-speaking fans. I've heard that a lot of people in Latin America--even though their dubs of the three original animes generally considered to be the best, most faithfully-adapted dubs that the three original animes ever received--don't care for Masako Nozawa's voice for adult Goku. Plenty of "Goku sounds like a woman!"-type complaints from that fanbase as well. I've also spoken to someone from Portugal who said that it's the same there.

Now, let me be clear, I love Masako Nozawa as adult Goku.....now. It took time, though. For that matter, watching Dragon Ball in Japanese was, I found, necessary to fully appreciate Nozawa as Goku. Starting out with her in DBZ is not the best point of introduction to fans who aren't accustomed to the original Japanese voices, in my opinion.

Having said that, while I no longer agree with the people who dislike Nozawa's voice for adult Goku, I still understand why. I don't agree, but I understand. It's not a particularly realistic-sounding voice for an adult male. It sounds quirky and weird. However, Goku is a quirky and weird guy. It's under that line of logic that I came to appreciate the performance.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:09 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:It's also worth noting that it's not just US fans who feel this way. For that matter, it's also not just English-speaking fans. I've heard that a lot of people in Latin America--even though their dubs of the three original animes generally considered to be the best, most faithfully-adapted dubs that the three original animes ever received--don't care for Masako Nozawa's voice for adult Goku. Plenty of "Goku sounds like a woman!"-type complaints from that fanbase as well. I've also spoken to someone from Portugal who said that it's the same there.

Now, let me be clear, I love Masako Nozawa as adult Goku.....now. It took time, though. For that matter, watching Dragon Ball in Japanese was, I found, necessary to fully appreciate Nozawa as Goku. Starting out with her in DBZ is not the best point of introduction to fans who aren't accustomed to the original Japanese voices, in my opinion.

Having said that, while I no longer agree with the people who dislike Nozawa's voice for adult Goku, I still understand why. I don't agree, but I understand. It's not a particularly realistic-sounding voice for an adult male. It sounds quirky and weird. However, Goku is a quirky and weird guy. It's under that line of logic that I came to appreciate the performance.
I also hear people in Europe hate the English voices.
Last edited by OWmyDragonBallz on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:11 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:It's also worth noting that it's not just US fans who feel this way. For that matter, it's also not just English-speaking fans. I've heard that a lot of people in Latin America--even though their dubs of the three original animes generally considered to be the best, most faithfully-adapted dubs that the three original animes ever received--don't care for Masako Nozawa's voice for adult Goku. Plenty of "Goku sounds like a woman!"-type complaints from that fanbase as well. I've also spoken to someone from Portugal who said that it's the same there.

I also hear people in Portugal and Europe hate the English voices.
Wouldn't surprise me. Plenty of people in the English-speaking world hate the English voices, after all.

Granted, that's not nearly as prevalent as of Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:15 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:

I also hear people in Portugal and Europe hate the English voices.
Wouldn't surprise me. Plenty of people in the English-speaking world hate the English voices, after all.

Granted, that's not nearly as prevalent as of Kai.
Exactly my point. Many people in the world do hate the Japanese voice of Goku, but at the same time many hate the English voice. That's why I hate it when a fan acts as if the English voice being liked by most people is a fact.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:10 pm

I don't mind females voicing adult male characters as much as I mind adult men voicing little kids. I don't like child!Trunk's voice in Japanese at all. I know why they did it, but I don't like it. Goku's voice was startling at first but I can't imagine it being different now. Krillin, I've always liked this voice as an adult, I think it suits him.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:28 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote: I also hear people in Portugal and Europe hate the English voices.
Portugal and Europe?! :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote: I also hear people in Portugal and Europe hate the English voices.
Portugal and Europe?! :lol:
My bad.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:49 pm

With the mention of Luffy, in the Enies Lobby arc, there's a agent of CP9 named Fukurou who is voiced by a woman in both English and Japanese and he's older than Luffy. Was surprised by it at first as having read the manga first, not what I was expecting. But it was ok, and being voiced by Alexis Tipton who rocks helps. (Was my first time hearing her do a male voice, and she said it was one of her first in the commentary as well).

There's also Homura from "Sekirei", but I don't know if he counts due to some things regarding him that's kinda spoilery.

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:34 pm

I must have a tin ear because I thought Japanese Goku just had a certain kind of male voice heard in the islands. Kinda liked it, too.

This would make me a great defender of Nozawa, except I never watch the Japanese version. Go figure.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Interestingly enough, just got Season 7, Voyage 2 of One Piece, and in the dub, the character SweetPea is voiced by a man, while she's voiced by a woman in Japanese.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:52 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:So apparently the English fan base is very one-sided on Goku's Japanese voice of Nozawa voicing him. Are there any other Adult male characters in other anime out there that are voiced by women? I am only familiar with Nozawa's uniqueness as well as the seiyuu who voices Kuririn.
Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece has already been mentioned, but Luffy is only nineteen in comparison to Gokuu, who is much older. Uzumaki Naruto of Naruto is voiced by Take'uchi Junki, despite being a serious-minded adult in his thirties with two kids and a wife he actively loves. In Gokuu, Naruto and Luffy one has three completely sorts of male characters, all voiced by women.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf