Dragonball subtitles

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball subtitles

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Hey does anyone know of any guide used to put subtitles on to dragon boxes or if there is something in the forums to show me? searched but cant find anything.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonball subtitles

Post by thejeremymenace » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

The workflow goes something like this:
  • Demux video and audio streams from R2 DVD (Dragon Box) using PGCdemux or similar
  • Demux subtitles from R1 DVD (Funimation) using VSrip or similar
  • Retime subtitles to fit the R2 DVDs -- the hardest and most tedious part
From here, it depends how you want to proceed:
If your goal is to insert the subtitles back into the DVD, with menus and all, that's quite a bit of work itself, especially for the amount of episodes and discs DB has"
  • Remux to DVD structure in Muxman or similar -- in a somewhat obtuse way because of the way the original DVDs are organized
  • Rearrange the DVD structure in your output folder to match the original DVD exactly -- this includes fixing cells/chapters and moving a lot of stuff around
  • Run the rearranged DVD through VobBlanker to trim unreferenced video files
  • Patch the original DVD with your new IFO/VOB
  • Fix subtitle colors because the palette of the R2s does not match that of the R1s
The most tedious part is rearranging the DVD structure itself after muxing -- since the Dragon Box uses the same OP video for each episode on each disc, you have to go in and manually edit the IFO/VOB structure a little bit, and then remove the extra video, since it won't fit on a DVD if each episode has its own OP.

On the other hand, if you just want MKVs of the episodes on your hard drive, then it's as simple as muxing everything to a single file.

I plan on doing a detailed guide of this exact process someday, since I've done this all already. Most of it can be automated with scripts and programs, and I have a fairly comprehensive list of the frame differences between the R2 and R1 DVDs, so the subtitle retiming is a cinch as well.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source