Weird misconceptions you used to have

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Weird misconceptions you used to have

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:33 am

As a child, watching the Ocean dub of the first two "seasons", the whole "next dimension" censorship confused me. I thought the Saiyans had the ability to instantly transport people to another dimension and trap them there, and I kept wondering why they didn't use those abilities more often.

Then I found out that "the next dimension" was an awkward euphemism for death and was like "Oooh okay. That makes a lot more sense."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:05 pm

1 - I thought that there was Dragon Ball A - Y. I was like 7 or 8 years old at the time, so I was confused.
2 - I was told that GT was going to be a dark and gritty show that is going to air on Adult Swim. This was when I was new to the series and I didn't know where else to go, but listen to stupid school rumors. Now these days, you have Kanzenshuu that can easily report false rumors since 2004.
3 - I was also remember hearing that GT will have a sex scene between Pan and Trunks, Broli comes back in the Shadow Dragon saga and I thought Bebi was going to be a robot version of Majin Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:08 pm

*I used to think Vegeta and Gogeta were brothers for some reason.
*I never understood what order the series' went in, since Goku was a kid again in GT. I thought it came before Z.
*I thought Baby Vegeta was turned back into an actual a baby, and that's just what Saiyan babies looked like. And for some reason that made him evil.
*I saw Z first, so I always imagined that Raditz and Goku grew up together as brothers and Raditz just got jealous of Goku and wanted to kill him.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:52 pm

I thought that before Gt, Goku had died and was reborn as someone else's child, but could still remember his past life and that's why he called Pan his granddaughter.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:00 pm

I was introduced to the series with the video game Ultimate Battle 22. For some reason I used to think that Trunks, Vegeta, Goku, and Vegeto were brothers since I used to think they all looked alike.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:39 pm

I wrote this in another thread but deleted it. It probably fits better here.

My first glimpses of the series were of the Boo arc on Toonami. Boo exploding into tiny chunks and reforming was a reoccurring theme so I thought the entire series was about two spiky buff blond dudes on their eternal mission to blow up the fat pink bubblegum monster once and for all. I thought the tension in the entire series was guessing what form the bubble gum monster would take next. Would it make him easier or harder to blow up? I was legitimately pissed by the 4th or 5th time I tuned in and the bubblegum monster psyched everyone out and reformed again. I thought it was the dumbest fucking shit ever. I got angry that the characters were all surprised. "Of course he reformed! That's all he ever does!" It wasn't until Budokai 1 that I got a broader sense of the story and realized it was a fun martial arts/fantasy affair.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:26 pm

I thought you needed all 7 Dragon Balls to turn Super Saiyan. Because for a long time, I knew more about Sonic the Hedgehog than I did about DBZ.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:37 pm

When I saw a toy of Bebi Vegeta back in 2001, I was like "Baby Vegeta? Does he become a kid too?". I also remember thinking that Vegeta dies in GT because a fan site had a poor translated episode summary of the Bebi saga. I thought Goku had to kill Vegeta in order to defeat Bebi.
She/Her

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:10 am

When I heard of the cardass things, I kept laughing because it looked like it was saying "ass" in it.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:32 am

I thought Nappa turned Super Saiyan back when he was powering up against Goku and Tenshinhan.

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:04 pm

As a kid I thought there was a legit AF anime and spent months scouring the internet. My 12 year oldself really wanted SSJ4 gohan, SSJ5 goku, etc. xD

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Here's a few of mine:

-When I first began watching Z back in the day and saw the flashback scenes of DB, I always used to think they were actually earlier episodes of Z that never got aired for some reason. I had no internet access at the time, and DB wouldn't air in the UK for years yet.
-Back when the Cell saga was airing for the first time, for whatever reason I had the feeling it would be the final saga. At the time there were several DBZ toys released in the UK, including ones of characters I didn't recognise such as Buu and Janemba. Because I thought Cell was the final villain, I assumed Janemba was his true final form due to the tail and head horn things. I also thought Fat Janemba was another form of Fat Buu when the Buu saga first began airing.
-Thanks to some misinformed sticker collection book/character guide that was released in the UK, I believed for years that Goku and Turles were brothers.
-When I saw the early promos for GT, I initially doubted whether it was even meant to be a sequel to Z due to how different it looked. I initially wondered if it was a completely unconnected spinoff such as the various Tenchi series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:33 pm

I used to thought the series in Japanese was a series for adults. That Funimation edits DBZ down for kids and the show in Japan has extreme cursing, sex and gore push to the extreme. Got to blame those old school fan subbers for that :lol: .
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:33 pm

In the video game DBZ Legends, the final level is New Namek. I don't know why i thought it was New Namek instead of the Kaioshin Realm.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Other stuff I remember as a kid hearing:

- Goten and Bra get marry in GT
- Cell and Freeza become good guys in GT
- The Shadow Dragons are the ones who erase the memories of Majin Buu
- Goku Jr was Goku's newest son
- Vegeta Jr is Vegeta's newest son

These was back in the days when the Internet was still niche and you would hear what other kids say or you had to go out to do your own research. Kids are lucky these days with the Internet. One google search on their phones can give them a quick answer. I remember people where worry about Kai having no Buu saga on Nick Toons because they would be confused on what happens next. People forget that kids now are way different when we where kids.
She/Her

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Here's another one but I am not sure if it's true, " Dr Gero and Myuu are brothers."
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:25 pm

I used to think Uub was from Nam's village.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:35 am

I first saw SSJ3 Goku either in a magazine or a website and thought "Wow, Raditz comes back as a Super Saiyan! Cool!"
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm

I thought it when I was little, I don't know why. To this day it is still my personal head canon:

Both Pumbukin's are related to Nappa.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Mythros

Post by Mythros » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:23 am

I also thought that Goten was Gohan's son. Since I was a little kid, and given the time skip plus a lack of Goku around the house and Goten and Gohan training together, it just seemed to make sense to me and the assumption stuck. Those were strange times.
"The New Year's come, the watchmen shout/the thaw sets in, the dead remain/whatever life has not dies out/staggers to its feet again"
from Mother Courage (Bertolt Brecht, 1939)