Weird misconceptions you used to have

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Weird misconceptions you used to have

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:-Vegetto was related to Goku and/or Vegeta somehow idk lol
Well technically that's true.
dbzfan7 wrote:-Goku is the legendary saiyan and not Broly....more Gokupotence XD
This is also pretty much true.

Anyway, another one I remember was that I had no idea there was such a thing as SSJ2 until Goku demonstrated it to Buu, as when Gohan powered up against Cell I thought he was just a stronger SSJ. So I thought Goku had just made up SSJ2 when fighting Buu.

Also I used to think Yamcha was a Saiyan because he looked sort of like Goku and Vegeta.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:-Vegetto was related to Goku and/or Vegeta somehow idk lol
Well technically that's true.

Yeah but I mean in the sense of he wasn't a fusion and was his own separate character and related to one of them, more so Vegeta. I think I thought they were brothers lol

DBZMerciter2005
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZMerciter2005 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
DBZMerciter2005 wrote:- I swore that future Trunks called his androids 19 (black haired male) and 20 (blonde female) and therefore he was correct about the android's numbers but he somehow altered the past and got the present 19 ("fat clown") and 20 (old fart). My husband and I argued over this one for a while until I couldn't find anything to back up my reasoning..
In his first appearance in the manga, Trunks says that the Androids that attacked are 19 and 20, but then it was changed to 17 and 18.
So I wasn't going crazy. Before I posted this I went back to my vol 12 DBZ manga just to be sure and sure enough he calls them 19 and 20. Thanks for showing me where I picked it up!
Avery wrote:When I was a kid, I was addicted to the PS2 games before getting into the series for real ( I had had only watched the Saiyan and Freeza arcs). I only knew very few English words and skipped most of the cutscenes. And so I had, well, some really dumb assumptions:

- Kid Trunks and Future Trunks were the same person, I managed to understand that he was Vegeta's son, but had no idea of who in the world could his mother be, so, I...seriously assumed that Vegeta laid an egg. :D
- Cooler was Freeza's father.
- Goten was Gohan's son. Then heard Pan say "uncle Goten" and call Goku "Grandpa". That was confusing.
- Videl was a grown-up version of Pan who was weaker for some reason.
-Tullece = Bardock.
- Broly was of royal heritage.
- I misheard "Spirit Bomb" as "Sponge Bob"...somehow.
- SSJ3 was a fusion between Goku and Piccolo.
- Super Boo w/ Gohan absorbed was just Gohan after he "joined the dark side".

....etc
Man some of these are great and I can see where they come from if you never watched the series. I particularly like Goten being Gohan's son for some reason.

Oh I forgot one that I had:

- When Goku went SSJ2 against Majin Vegeta I thought he was lying because I couldn't tell the difference between his SSJ2 form and his regular SSJ form. Same for Vegeta. I thought they were just trash talking or trying to freak the other guy out.
Imp. Cell: "Do you think you're being CUTE?"
SSJ Vegeta: "Bitch, I'm adorable."
~ TFS DBZA Episode 50

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm

DBZMerciter2005 wrote:[
So I wasn't going crazy. Before I posted this I went back to my vol 12 DBZ manga just to be sure and sure enough he calls them 19 and 20. Thanks for showing me where I picked it up!
That does not come from an in-universe change though but an error caused when 19 and 20 were planned and Toriyama-sans assistant thought 19 and 20 are not fitting as villains because they were (opinion incoming - but also reflecting what was thought) ugly/inappropriate as hell - just as 2nd form Cell who had less screentime as first planned. The 19 and 20 we know were actually meant with it.
Last edited by Cetra on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DBZMerciter2005
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZMerciter2005 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Cetra wrote:
DBZMerciter2005 wrote:[
That does not come from an in-universe change though but an error caused when 19 and 20 were planned and Toriyama-sans assistant thought 19 and 20 are not fitting as villains. The 19 and 20 we know were actually meant with it.
So the 19 and 20 Trunks was talking were the androids we know as 17 and 18? I mean that makes sense I just want to be sure.
~ TFS DBZA Episode 50

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:25 pm

DBZMerciter2005 wrote: So the 19 and 20 Trunks was talking were the androids we know as 17 and 18? I mean that makes sense I just want to be sure.
No, the opposite. 19 and 20 were made and so he mentioned them already. But he could not change what was said already. So the error stands. Still Trunks does not know the guys he announced. And the twins are even called 17 and 18 in his timeline. So it is definitely an error.

Of course you can still say "yes, the two cyborgs he means were the guys he fights later", as of course those are the guys he speaks about. But the introduction itself is flawed as the fact "Trunks is talking about 2 Cyborgs (no matter which numbers) and means (from a view of retconning) Lazuli and Lapis but actually it was planned that he meant the mime and old man and then they could not change numbers anymore" stands there. That is what I am talking about.

So:

Are the guys he talks about 17 and 18? - Yes - because of retconning
Were the guys he talked about introduced as 17 and 18 by him? - No
Were the guys he talked about originally meant to be 17 and 18? - No
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 pm

-I thought Goku was a player
-I thought Freeza was a woman (blame the dub)
-I thought Krillin was a kid in DBZ
-Goku and Tien were brothers in DBZ
-I thought DB came after DBZ (and was confused by how much older it looked)
-I thought GT was good
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:36 am

- I used to think Goku was stronger than Gohan and slightly weaker than Cell during the Cell games.
- Kid Buu was stronger than Super Buu, but not Buuhan.
- Goku>Gotenks
- I thought that the movies all happened during the series but found it weird how nobody talked about any of the movie villains and events.
- The manga was boring and pointless because the fights weren't in motion and there was no music.

Well, you can say that I didn't really have any big misconceptions except for the manga one. I knew pretty much what was going on when I watched the series. Also I never thought that Freeza was a woman; he always came off as a man to me. Same with the Japanese version of the show. The first time I watched it in whole was Battle of Gods, and I thought it was OK. I never hated Goku's and Gohan's voices but I found them weird and out of place at times. Of course, I love the Japanese version now. And the manga.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

DBZMerciter2005
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZMerciter2005 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:57 am

Cetra wrote: No, the opposite. 19 and 20 were made and so he mentioned them already. But he could not change what was said already. So the error stands. Still Trunks does not know the guys he announced. And the twins are even called 17 and 18 in his timeline. So it is definitely an error.

Of course you can still say "yes, the two cyborgs he means were the guys he fights later", as of course those are the guys he speaks about. But the introduction itself is flawed as the fact "Trunks is talking about 2 Cyborgs (no matter which numbers) and means (from a view of retconning) Lazuli and Lapis but actually it was planned that he meant the mime and old man and then they could not change numbers anymore" stands there. That is what I am talking about.

So:

Are the guys he talks about 17 and 18? - Yes - because of retconning
Were the guys he talked about introduced as 17 and 18 by him? - No
Were the guys he talked about originally meant to be 17 and 18? - No
I see. I knew that the editor wanted cooler villains which is how we got 17, 18, 16, and Cell, but to have a retcon like that bothers me for some reason. Oh well. I gave up on canonicity a while ago.

Thanks for the explanation!
~ TFS DBZA Episode 50

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:20 am

I thought Launch actually had an alternate name that was Kushami in Japanese. But that was pretty common at the time.

Can't think of any other misconceptions I would have had… But I'm sure if people have a list of old 90's misconceptions I might have had some of them. (not the one that DBZ actually had a lot more cursing, since I didn't watch fansubs).

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:54 am

I used to think that if Ultimate Gohan ever turned Super Saiyan for whatever reason, he'd immediately lose all access to the Ultimate powerup forever. That's how in my head, I'd justified Gohan turning Super in GT—during his first battle, Baby forced it out of him.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:25 am

- I thought Son Goten was Son Goku as a kid.
- I thought that Freeza's first form wasn't the same person as his fourth form.
- I thought the Kaioken was what everyone else was calling a "Super Saiyajin".
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:09 am

dbzfan7 wrote:-Kid Boo is strongest there is
Oh yeah, this one too. I blame the Funimation dub for that, oh how I hate how that was my first real interaction with the anime series.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 am

FUNimation didn't make that up, Toei did. It was said in Japanese too (but only in filler).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:06 am

Turles is Goku's brother.
Broly was the strongest in the universe.
Launch was one of the first saiyans.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:39 am

-I had just gotten into Dbz and the cover of "Legacy of Goku" had ssj Goku on it. I assumed this must've been some long lost cousin of Goku. I had no idea about ssj yet.
-Yamcha had to be related to Goku.
- Later playing final bout while only still being in the namek saga with the show was hella confusing. I played a french rom. Piccolo was petit coeur, had no idea who cell or buu were. I kinda figured out Vegetto because of the double voice. Kid Goku was Goten (I had heard about him already through the internet) and I assumed it was a french translation mistake they put kid Goku. Mystic Gohan in final bout was just Goku with a haircut. And the ssj Goku with the red gi in the game was his ssj form.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:59 pm

I once thought Tien was Krillin's father.

I also thought Nappa was a Super Saiyan when he fought Goku because of his golden aura.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:34 pm

I thought Turles was Goku's twin.
I heard Frieza had a brother and I thought for some reason it was Cell.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm

1. GT was drawn, created and scripted by an Argentinian artist (blame my stupid high school friends around 14 years ago)

2. Broly was Trunks SSJ 2 all along with different clothes and Broly never existed.

3. Goku can breathe in space.

4. Size does not matter for the fusion dance.

5. Majunia was Piccolo Daimaoh

6. Goku was made a child in GT in order to prevent his heart issues from developing even more (School friends again)

7. Cooler has 4 transformations and not missing one.

8. Milk was Milk's real name.

9. Goku was not interested in sex.

10. Cooler survived after the events of the second Cooler movie.

11. There was a movie where Freeza was brought back to life but I couldn't find online (this is way before Fukkatsu). I saw a picture many years ago that shows Freeza stepping in the middle of the Z Warriors. It was making me crazy but in the end, the picture was from The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyapeople.

12. Cell and Freeza were meant to fuse in GT. (School friend who brought a picture of a Semi-Perfect Cell with Freeza's thing all over his body)

Can't remember but I am sure there's more.

Oh, Got more:

13. DBZ opening has a new enemy that never made it into the anime, someone who appears before the ice thing melts, just before the chorus.

14. Also during the opening, Goku has an attack which he never used (maybe one, during the Cell games) where he raised both arms and an energy ball comes rising from the earth (not the genkidama)

15. "Trunks can't be Vegeta's son. He hates everyone and Bulma has a thing for Yamtcha"
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:06 pm

I use to think Cell and Freeza were brother and sister the first time I watched GT on Cartoon Network.