Is dragonball ruined now?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Is dragonball ruined now?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:13 pm

It's odd that a once beautifully animated show has,dispite being very profitable and being a multi million dollar franchise has gone to being 100% CGI.
Yeah I know not all of it is 3D computer models,but it's still drawn on tablets and colored digitally. It's no longer hand drawn. In case you didn't know it's all CGI,even the 2D parts. Yeah this saves money,and yeah it's faster but how can Toriyama betray his fans like this?! It's to the point I don't even know why I follow super now because it feels like a giant middle finger to me. So much love and money wasted on a franchise that went from people putting their blod and sweat into making beautiful and amazing to....(not to bash fan animators) fan animation tier. It doesn't look professionally done,please don't tell me to get over it I wanna know if I'm the only one who feels betrayed.

Part of me wants to love DBZ,more then anything I do but it just doesn't feel like DBZ anymore.

And before you ask no this isn't trolling or just mindless bashing. I feel conflicted between my want to love my once favorite thing in the world that got me through rough times and the unparreled hatred at what this THING is that franchise has become. How can people go on liking this knowing its gotten so "we don't care about you guys give us your money" that its now done in adobe,the characters n story is all out of wack and its no longer a labor of love and what we used to love?

Please somebody give me your perspective. I fell like I lost my best friend in DBZ. No rude comments PLZ. Basically I just wanna know how people can still love DBZ when it's no longer DBZ. That's all. Tell me if you think it's ruined and dead or whatever your stance is. I just need to know how I can go on still loving this franchise again.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is dragonball ruined now?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:45 pm

Part of me wants to love DBZ,more then anything I do but it just doesn't feel like DBZ anymore.
It's not DBZ. It's Dragon Ball Super.

Rest assured, DBZ is still its own thing. =)
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:51 pm

Yep. It's ruined. Burned to the ground, reduced to ashes, and scattered into the wind. A mere shell of it's former self. An empty husk where there was once a live body. An affront to the senses. A plague on all our houses. It may have actually murdered my future children and swallowed my soul.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:51 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

I mean the franchise is no longer dragonball. evolution was bad enough to sweep under the rug,but at least the maker didn't make it....this adobe flash animated show not only has his thumbs up,but his hands deep into it.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:55 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

I agree. DBZ won't ever not be DBZ. You can always rewatch and you'll always like it for what it is. Super and all the other jazz you can judge on their own, as their own things. The "new stuff" I always refer to BOG or FNF as.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Yep. It's ruined. Burned to the ground, reduced to ashes, and scattered into the wind. A mere shell of it's former self. An empty husk where there was once a live body. An affront to the senses. A plague on all our houses. It may have actually murdered my future children and swallowed my soul.
Seemed like a Kingdom Hearts shot out to Nobodies.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:04 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

I agree. DBZ won't ever not be DBZ. You can always rewatch and you'll always like it for what it is. Super and all the other jazz you can judge on their own, as their own things. The "new stuff" I always refer to BOG or FNF as.
But the franchise itself has been poisoned. It's no longer something a man made to make people happy,and no longer is the best animated franchise ever. I don't know how the people who animated the flawless beautiful vegito vs buuhan episode could be the guys who made battle of gods. They literally spend 0$ on the animation now,it's hard to believe. it's like a freaking twilight zone. You go from these guys are on their own league and make every god they meet shit their pants to "here's a purple CGI cat...he's a god,which is apparently tough now if you ignore every other god that's been established over the past 2 decades" heck they even nerf goku to the point his friends go down by thin pieces of wood. I cant believe the stuff I'm seeing in bog-now.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:05 pm

I don't think studios make shows hand drawn anymore so this is the only way to get it and in terms of the animation quality,a lot of us knew in advance that it won't be that good due to Toie's recent track record and it being a Saturday morning show.

I liked BOG&ROF's stories however the 6th universe arc needs to start introducing actual new characters cause if it's going to be an alternate reality of what we know with the same characters then this show will probably get more hate then Gt ever did cause the 2 new Ssj designs and Freeza's new form are nothing but the old ones with a different paint job but to do it with the actual characters as well will be overkill.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:05 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Yep. It's ruined. Burned to the ground, reduced to ashes, and scattered into the wind. A mere shell of it's former self. An empty husk where there was once a live body. An affront to the senses. A plague on all our houses. It may have actually murdered my future children and swallowed my soul.
Seemed like a Kingdom Hearts shot out to Nobodies.
"A shell of its former self?"

It's a common phrase.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:09 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: I don't know how the people who animated the flawless beautiful vegito vs buuhan episode could be the guys who made battle of gods.
They had a higher budget and drawing count to work with plus it aired on Wednesday nights unlike Super which airs on Saturday mornings.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:18 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: But the franchise itself has been poisoned. It's no longer something a man made to make people happy,and no longer is the best animated franchise ever. I don't know how the people who animated the flawless beautiful vegito vs buuhan episode could be the guys who made battle of gods. They literally spend 0$ on the animation now,it's hard to believe. it's like a freaking twilight zone. You go from these guys are on their own league and make every god they meet shit their pants to "here's a purple CGI cat...he's a god,which is apparently tough now if you ignore every other god that's been established over the past 2 decades" heck they even nerf goku to the point his friends go down by thin pieces of wood. I cant believe the stuff I'm seeing in bog-now.
Listen...

1. When was it ever "the best animated franchise ever"? It was #1 cartoon or action cartoon (not even calling it anime) in America during it's Toonami run, but that's about it. The first 2 episodes where Vegito fights Buu looked godawful (Last House/Studio Live). No one is spending $0 dollars. That makes no sense.

2. Not everything is in CG, although it was highly overused in FnF.

3. DBZ being put in american theaters, new games being pumped out, Kai Uncut being on TV twice on Saturday nights makes me believe, it's doing as good as ever in a long time.

You can complain all you want, we all have our complaints. But to say DBZ is "ruined" right now is an outrageous claim my friend.

Side note: Episode 11 of Super gave me a glimmer of hope. It was decent.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:21 pm

sintzu wrote:I don't think studios make shows hand drawn anymore so this is the only way to get it and in terms of the animation quality,a lot of us knew in advance that it won't be that good due to Toie's recent track record and it being a Saturday morning show.

I liked BOG&ROF's stories however the 6th universe arc needs to start introducing actual new characters cause if it's going to be an alternate reality of what we know with the same characters then this show will probably get more hate then Gt ever did cause the 2 new Ssj designs and Freeza's new form are nothing but the old ones with a different paint job but to do it with the actual characters as well will be overkill.

Just because nobody does it anymore doesn't make it Ok. That's saying it's ok to be a ww2 Nazi because in Germany everyone was doing it. They have more then enough money. If they could affored it in the 80's,with more money and better tech the animation should be BETTER not worse. hell i'd take raging blast 1 models over this fan animation like crap. the animation is the broken straw for me. I don't even know why I follow super. I should be pumped for each episode,now I just skim episode 11,didnt even try the subs because it just isn't dragonball. i'd take nothing over this,because at least then the legacy would be ruined.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:37 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: But the franchise itself has been poisoned. It's no longer something a man made to make people happy,and no longer is the best animated franchise ever. I don't know how the people who animated the flawless beautiful vegito vs buuhan episode could be the guys who made battle of gods. They literally spend 0$ on the animation now,it's hard to believe. it's like a freaking twilight zone. You go from these guys are on their own league and make every god they meet shit their pants to "here's a purple CGI cat...he's a god,which is apparently tough now if you ignore every other god that's been established over the past 2 decades" heck they even nerf goku to the point his friends go down by thin pieces of wood. I cant believe the stuff I'm seeing in bog-now.
Listen...

1. When was it ever "the best animated franchise ever"? It was #1 cartoon or action cartoon (not even calling it anime) in America during it's Toonami run, but that's about it. The first 2 episodes where Vegito fights Buu looked godawful (Last House/Studio Live). No one is spending $0 dollars. That makes no sense.

2. Not everything is in CG, although it was highly overused in FnF.

3. DBZ being put in american theaters, new games being pumped out, Kai Uncut being on TV twice on Saturday nights makes me believe, it's doing as good as ever in a long time.

You can complain all you want, we all have our complaints. But to say DBZ is "ruined" right now is an outrageous claim my friend.

Side note: Episode 11 of Super gave me a glimmer of hope. It was decent.

I gotta respectfully call BS on that there man.

1. I can see animation quality as being subjective(though there's a limit to that like if someone says episode 5 of super had good drawings.) But vegito vs super buu looked AMAZING! The colors were so crisp and the right amount of bright,the designs looked amazing. I frewaking wish I looked like vegito. I like how I look but come on,you cant say his design and even buu's aren't badass looking. and yeah you can say it's 0$ simply because it is. adobe flah doesn't cost money,animation cels do but they dotn use paper anymore because they're CHEAP!

2. do you know what cg is? it's not JUST the 3D parts in ROF where goku fought frieza as a computer model.

CGI stand for computer generated imagry. if ite imagry is generated on a computer,then its CGI. even if it's 2D. South park is almost entirely 2D but it isn't hand drawn. It,liek super and battle of gods is drawn on tablets instead of paper. and colored digitally instead of by hand. Yeah cgi can look good,but this is cheap crap.

3. bog and rof weren't he first films relweased,and all they did was ruin dbz's image with bad examples of dbz. movie 12,13 in us theatres made people excited. bog made people pratcially put guns in their mouths.

new games? when did we get a new game recently?

ultimate tenkaichi-everyone hated it. disrespectful to the fans as a cheap rock paper siccors game where the voices were so recycled it wasn't even funny.

dbz for Kinect-DBZ UT engine revamped for Kinect. its the same game.

dbz battle of Z-UT engine AGAIN tweeked. if you datamine it' the same exact engine. the models are just changed a bit and some new stuff is added and some is taken out,like with the Kinect game form ultimate tenkaichi,accept that wasn't a skin change.

xenoverse-again,jsut battle of Z/ultimate tenkaichi engine revamped. a pile of shit with no combo system that lbeed more cash from people. disrespectfull as shit.

kai uncut? yeah that's what the fans want...less footage and less scenes from a show people were begging for MORE from. why not shorten it up?! The only people who liked it where the anime hating canon police who were manga purest and some people who liked seeing it in a new light,but it still wasn't new DBZ. it doesn't matter if its uncut on TV,toei was SO LAZY that when they removed thew AWESOEM yammamoto music,which was theo nly thing saving the already lazy show.......all they did was take 2 dbz songs and repeat em like crazy. they had so many songs and didn't have to spend a dime! but nope,no love for the fans like they used to have so we got lazy shit. and its on dvd so why do we need it on tv when its on dvd and youtube 24/7 instead of scheduled CROPPED adult swim rubbish? exactly.

just because its relasing more stuff doesn't mean its doing better or just as good,this stuff proves its cash bleeding. now if BOG was HAND drawn on paper then it'd be excuseable for the plot holes and bad acting,music and writing,because then it would be a obvious fuck u give us cash move from toei. dragonball doesn't even look like draognball anymore.

if I came off as insulting you,hat wasn't my intent. just had to correct that stuff. everything being done on computers now pisses me off.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:39 pm

I literally did not understand a word you just said. Can you slow down and run your posts through spell-check or something?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:44 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:xenoverse-again,jsut battle of Z/ultimate tenkaichi engine revamped. a pile of shit with no combo system that lbeed more cash from people. disrespectfull as shit.
Dragon Ball has two engines, 2D and 3D fighting games (on the main portion, that is), Xenoverse kinda mixed them into one. Consumers buy the style they think they are better/they prefer. Xenoverse tried to please both of them, of course, we all know what happens when you even try to think in pleasing the world... But you are exaggerating. And please, slow down a little. :|
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Ruined. No. In a bad place, no. Kinda boring and uninspired, yes. Dragon Ball is definitely not ruined. However to me it feels like I'm seeing a more charming Dragon Ball GT as of late.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:47 pm

You're not stating any facts. You're stating opinions and spelling things wrong. Lmao.

^ This is not a good drawing of Vegito.

Or this.

When I was referring to the CG, I meant mostly of Goku and Freeza's exchanges (see below), which I thought wasn't necessary. I agree with you on the animation, but that's not all there is to it.

I only mention Kai because it's part of the franchise, and it's ON TV. Kai was on Nicktoons and Toonzai which helped a younger generation find their way to an amazing series. They're not going to know what's "good animation" or what's cut out, just like we didn't when we were younger (specifically the ones that grew up with the American release).

Relax B.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Absolute Ice wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:xenoverse-again,jsut battle of Z/ultimate tenkaichi engine revamped. a pile of shit with no combo system that lbeed more cash from people. disrespectfull as shit.
Dragon Ball has two engines, 2D and 3D fighting games (on the main portion, that is), Xenoverse kinda mixed them into one. Consumers buy the style they think they are better/they prefer. Xenoverse tried to please both of them, of course, we all know what happens when you even try to think in pleasing the world... But you are exaggerating. And please, slow down a little. :|
I think you mean styles. engine is something else. its fine for a series to have a similar engine like RB1 and RB2. xenoverse seams lazy to me,the only thing it's improved form B3 was no luck based gameplay. drops were luck based yeah but no rock paper scissors crap or guess the button crap from budokai 3. i'll give xenoverse credit for no luck based shit but its still a game with less characters then previous games and if you datamine it,its actually built from ultimate tenkaichi as a base. its not its own game made. if people cant at the very least admit ultimate tenkaichi with its gameplay,graphics and voice switching from re used z to re used kai was lazy along with dbz for Kinect,then they have no hope of appearing non biased. people not letting companies have it for disrespecting fans only hurts the franchises. imagine if people made excuses for MS when they told people the initle xbone plans. it'd be so bad right now,heck a lot of people did try to be "loyal fans" and promote online all the time gaming and such. you aren't a bad fan for calling out stupidity in a franchise cough ssj god cough evolution cough every other live action dragonball film. cough cough cough.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:58 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:You're not stating any facts. You're stating opinions and spelling things wrong. Lmao.

^ This is not a good drawing of Vegito.

Or this.

When I was referring to the CG, I meant mostly of Goku and Freeza's exchanges (see below), which I thought wasn't necessary. I agree with you on the animation, but that's not all there is to it.

I only mention Kai because it's part of the franchise, and it's ON TV. Kai was on Nicktoons and Toonzai which helped a younger generation find their way to an amazing series. They're not going to know what's "good animation" or what's cut out, just like we didn't when we were younger (specifically the ones that grew up with the American release).

Relax B.
I have stated facts,like how they're re using engines and using cheap animation. Also what do you call good animation if you think those 2 are bad. I'm sorry but those 2 are PERFECT! You even show a bad image that shows the BIG difference in quality ...which is sad because they have more tech and money now.

also the spelling is thanks to a broken back button. you'll just have to accept I might type like as "liek" which should be an easy typo to be seen through. also if B. means buddy then I'm not your buddy GAI!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:08 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: also the spelling is thanks to a broken back button. you'll just have to accept I might type like as "liek" which should be an easy typo to be seen through. also if B. means buddy then I'm not your buddy GAI!
Spellcheck is a thing. It's not hard to use. And it's not just your spelling; your grammar, punctuation, and formatting are almost indecipherable. If you don't have Microsoft Word, or whatever Apple people use, use this https://www.jspell.com/public-spell-checker.html. It makes things better for everyone.
Malik_DBNA wrote: