How to say Dr. Gero ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

How to say Dr. Gero ?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Okay this may be stupid but how do you say "Gero" ? I say "JEH-row" so is that right or wrong ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How to say Dr. Gero ?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:22 pm

That's how they say it in the dub, so yeah.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm sure it's actually Geh-ro, since it's "ゲロ" in Japanese
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Sandubadear wrote:I'm sure it's actually Geh-ro, since it's "ゲロ" in Japanese
Thank you. Feel free to lock this. (Unless this is wrong)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:That's how they say it in the dub, so yeah.
Actually, that's not even how they say it in the dub. The dub says juh-ROW with the accent on the second syllable.

But, yes, as has been said, it's a hard "g" sound, not a soft one, with the upward inflection on the first syllable.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:50 am

I'm pretty sure the ocean dub pronounced it as "jarrow" its been awhile since I've seen those episodes though.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:32 am

I thought the Ocean dub had pronounced it Jyro.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:27 am

It should be "GEH-roh". I think it's supposed to be a pun on the English word "gear". Maybe Herms has an entry about that.

I think the FUNi dub changed it to "Jereau" to make it sound Eastern European, which for American audiences sounds more evil.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 pm

LuckyCat wrote:It should be "GEH-roh". I think it's supposed to be a pun on the English word "gear". Maybe Herms has an entry about that.
Seems unlikely, since "gear" in Japanese is ギア/gia, which doesn't have any letters in common with ゲロ/Gero
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Herms wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:It should be "GEH-roh". I think it's supposed to be a pun on the English word "gear". Maybe Herms has an entry about that.
Seems unlikely, since "gear" in Japanese is ギア/gia, which doesn't have any letters in common with ゲロ/Gero
That's true, another popular theory I've read on Japanese sites is that it's a play on the number 0 (ゼロ) as Zero could be used as an origin number in the Android models. I can't find anything official about it, though.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Gero means vomit in Japanese. Considering how the names of many characters are pun for foods... Yeah. :sick: Also, 外郎 (uirō) can be read as gerō.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:19 pm

I remember a Q&A section with Oda Eiichiro (the mangaka of One Piece) where he made up a fake Devil Fruit called the "Gero Gero fruit" that made whoever ate it disgusting to be around, so I always figured it was based on a word for "disgusting" or something.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:42 pm

I think the FUNi dub changed it to "Jereau" to make it sound Eastern European, which for American audiences sounds more evil.
I've heard it as "Jereau" and that another dub (possibly the UK) pronounces it "Garrow." I've never heard it as "Jeeroh" or anything like that, but both of the first two pronunciations sound fitting for him. I'm glad his name is vomit in Japanese. Dude is ugly (old) and evil.

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:48 pm

kei17 wrote:Gero means vomit in Japanese.
Oh, wow... And with that one post, I realized how actually clever was the Polish adaptation of the name in the manga. He's called "Dr. Żygago", in which the first part (żyga), although with a spelling error, refers to vomiting, while as a whole, it's also a pun with Dr. Żywago (or Zhivago) from an old novel by Boris Pasternak.

All this time I thought it was just an asspull...