What is the obsession with Jaco here?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

What is the obsession with Jaco here?

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:32 am

I was reading through the Resurrection F theater reaction thread again and almost everyone made explicit mention of this guy, as if to give off the message, "Heh, if only these dubbie casuals knew of Toriyama's epic win masterpiece Jaco the Galactic Patrolman..."

I liked him in Resurrection F, and I liked the Jaco manga just fine, it was cute and all... But what's the big deal? This community in particular seems really enthralled by this character, is it because it's new Toriyama content or what? Like I said, I don't dislike him or the manga he came from, but I didn't find it super memorable either, and there were plenty of things about Resurrection F more interesting than his inclusion.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What is the obsession with Jaco here?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 am

Don't know what to tell you. I absolutely loved the manga, and it was amazing to see him represented so accurately in animation in the film.

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like him as much as everyone else.
Kuwabara wrote:as if to give off the message, "Heh, if only these dubbie casuals knew of Toriyama's epic win masterpiece Jaco the Galactic Patrolman..."
Why are you approaching it this way? This is ridiculous. Someone liking something doesn't have to be at the expense of anyone else, and I'm a bit confused as to why you want to jump in to the conversation this way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 am

I don't find him or the manga he was in to be anything special but in a movie that didn't offer that much that was new, then it makes sense for people to point out Jaco.

I'm glad he was in it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:45 am

Because his manga is really entertaining and, really, his character is the only redeemable thing I can find in F.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:45 am

I've heard lots of talk about how Jaco stole the movie, often from people who weren't too familiar with the character beforehand. When I saw RF in theaters, the character got tons of laughs from the audience. I don't think there's any casual/hardcore distinction here
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 am

I'm sure him being from a new story from Toriyama, and being a character we'd never seen in animation before, plays a big part in it, but beyond that, people just like characters that they like. There's really nothing more or less to it than that.

For me, personally, Jaco's quickly become one of my newer favorites out of the franchise.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Why are you approaching it this way? This is ridiculous. Someone liking something doesn't have to be at the expense of anyone else, and I'm a bit confused as to why you want to jump in to the conversation this way.
It sounds ridiculous because I was exaggerating. I know this is merely anecdotal, but when I saw the film in theaters a guy sitting next to me whispered, "Yay, Jaco!" as if that was the biggest highlight. He seemed very pleased with himself that he was aware of a fictional character's existence. Afterward, he looked all over the theater audience to see everyone's reactions, and he continued to do this whenever Jaco popped up on screen. It was bizarre to say the least, I'm surprised he didn't make a post about it on this forum! :lol:

It's just like... It's a Dragon Ball Z movie, not a Jaco movie. Shouldn't the most compelling aspect be the return of a major villain, as penned by the original creator? The fact that Chris Ayres absolutely killed it as that major villain? Or how about that MAXIMUM THE HORMONE song being in an official work? I lost my shit when that song started playing. Or what about the possibilities future films/Super hold? What about some of the best fight choreography in animated Dragon Ball history, or the fact that pretty much everyone in the film got to do something cool for once? There's so much crazy stuff about this movie, and yet a gag character gets so much attention?
Doctor. wrote:Because his manga is really entertaining and, really, his character is the only redeemable thing I can find in F.
That's very strange. You didn't enjoy anything else about the film? You're aware you were walking into a DBZ film, correct?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Kuwabara wrote:That's very strange. You didn't enjoy anything else about the film? You're aware you were walking into a DBZ film, correct?
Besides Jaco, just Roshi's inclusion. I think Jaco is definitely the highlight of the film, he's the only thing that makes the film somewhat entertaining.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:Because his manga is really entertaining and, really, his character is the only redeemable thing I can find in F.
This perfectly sums up how I feel. His manga was a very good read and he was pretty much the only good thing to come out of that one film I dislike oh so very much.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Kuwabara wrote:It's just like... It's a Dragon Ball Z movie, not a Jaco movie. Shouldn't the most compelling aspect be the return of a major villain, as penned by the original creator?
Yeah, it should be. Too bad it wasn't. At the risk of adding yet another "RoF sucks!" post, I do think it's relevant because it has a lot to do with that. I admit I was grasping for straws for something to like from this film, and Jaco was it. Even then, I feel it felt a little forced. That he was there because he was a new creator pet, and this movie happened to be in production while he was hot rather than him having anything to do with this story or time period. That was a bit of a letdown. That he can take down Freeza soldiers seems rather suspect to me, but I can shrug it off because it's enjoyable. And, honestly, I would have preferred his screentime to have gone to an actual Dragon Ball character. But he was fun, funny, and entertaining in a movie that was largely none of those things, so he was definitely a highlight.

I also think it's because Jaco is among the handful of "modern" Dragon Ball-related stories I've actually enjoyed. The JSAT, BoG, and Jaco were the ones I've loved. Episode of Bardock, DB- (and, yes, I'm counting it as separate from the original run of Jaco), and RoF were the huge letdowns, as well as most of his new "tidbit" interviews. So when, in my mind, I'd be perfectly content if Dragon Ball had just ended in 1995 for all time, and half of what's new makes me really wish that had been the case, I cling to what I find have been really worthy entries to the series. And Jaco is my life buoy.

Finally, yeah, like you said, I think there is a bit of proud recognition or at least curiosity to the reactions of others. The mention of Tarble in BoG was met with a lot of confusion from the audience when I saw it in theatres, and that was just a mention. So this obscure new character having a major role, revealing that he's known Blooma since childhood, and bringing with him a mention of Blooma's never-before-mentioned sister I figured was sure to blow people's minds. So I was definitely wondering in my screening what people's reactions were and full of a bit of pride that I did know.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:06 pm

Kuwabara wrote:when I saw the film in theaters a guy sitting next to me whispered, "Yay, Jaco!" as if that was the biggest highlight. He seemed very pleased with himself that he was aware of a fictional character's existence. Afterward, he looked all over the theater audience to see everyone's reactions, and he continued to do this whenever Jaco popped up on screen. It was bizarre to say the least, I'm surprised he didn't make a post about it on this forum! :lol:
……
It's just like... It's a Dragon Ball Z movie, not a Jaco movie. Shouldn't the most compelling aspect be the return of a major villain, as penned by the original creator?
It almost sounds like you are complaining about someone being happy about something and looking to know if other people shared his excitement. People are allowed to like things you don't care about without it being a comment on your character.

I don't know: I love seeing David Bowie cameos, for instance: it made Zoolander and The Prestige so much better for me. I love his music and showmanship so much, and just his prescence injects something to movies to me. I know what the point of these movies is and enjoyed them for their own sake. But the cameo can bring something "extra" that is unexpected and fun.

As for why people enjoy "Jaco" in itself… To me, it feels like Toriyama writing in the Dragon World again, without some of the stiffness that characterizes a lot of later Dragon Ball. He is a whimsical, almost surrealist writer. I think that sort of fun writing gives him joy and it shows. In Dragon Ball, especially later, there was a certain element of fatigue clearly visible. There was a lot of editing, a lot of "magic a is magic a" constraints he had to work with. It is still an awesome product, and Iove it. But in Jaco, it allows me to be in the Dragon World while still feeling the joy the creator got out of writing it shine. And that makes it a fun story with great characters.

Jaco can be strong, yet silly and cowardly. He doesn't need some sort of showdown of strength with Roshi to place him in the Scale of PowerTM that some fans construct. He can just be Jaco, and that is great. Even recurring characters can shine in Jaco: baby Bulma can build a raygun and it can be awesome without people questioning how it fits with the overall battle manga. There is just so much fun evident in this work, and I think that is why people like it.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:36 pm

irreality wrote:It almost sounds like you are complaining about someone being happy about something and looking to know if other people shared his excitement. People are allowed to like things you don't care about without it being a comment on your character.
I'm not "complaining" about anything, I'm elated that that guy had a great time in the theater. I was just genuinely curious about why this character has had such an impact on fans, and out of everything in this thread, your explanation sold the character's appeal pretty well.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:53 am

Kuwabara wrote:
irreality wrote:It almost sounds like you are complaining about someone being happy about something and looking to know if other people shared his excitement. People are allowed to like things you don't care about without it being a comment on your character.
I'm not "complaining" about anything, I'm elated that that guy had a great time in the theater. I was just genuinely curious about why this character has had such an impact on fans, and out of everything in this thread, your explanation sold the character's appeal pretty well.
It's kind of like when you're into a song and then all of a sudden it's thrown into the mainstream and you're interested in others reaction to it, but you still feel that slight bit of pride having been someone who knew about it before it was popular. Maybe the guy in the cinema was looking around to see if anybody was as much of a Toriyama fan as he is, it just sounds like for whatever reason you are annoyed at this guy in the cinema and you're somehow trying to funnel that through this topic? I don't really know, the topic just feels off like a passive-aggressive dig at the community because you saw a guy showing that he likes Jaco and you probably thought 'I know who he is too, I'm just not making as much of a deal out of it as you.'

People like different things and I don't think the impact is as big as you think, I don't see that many posts about Jaco, people just thought his inclusion was cool.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:42 am

Jaco's manga was great, the character is itself is awesomely original and has a lot of potential and his wonderful and lovable characteristics were simply perfectly represented and projected in Resurrection F. Hence why the audience loved him.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:59 am

I think some of the love for Jaco does come with the context of the manga. After a long drought of substantial new Toriyama comics, we finally got a new series! And this was coming off the heels of the (in my opinion) very disappointing Kintoki one-shot. So, to have the 1st volume-length series in 10 years, and for it to be actually good was enthralling! Especially for those of us able to follow along weekly.

Now, that being said, I think one of the big things that draws people to the Jaco manga is the character himself. He's very charismatic, and really fun to follow. So, he is a very welcome addition to the Dragon World. I just wish Tights would show up too!

Jaco isn't my favorite single volume work of Toriyama's (that would be Cowa!), but it's up there. You can feel the love in the work, and like I said, a lot of its appeal comes from the title character.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Jaco's just a really pleasant, adorable, funny manga -- one of Toriyama's best -- with a Dragon Ball connection that actually adds to the impact of both its own story and Dragon Ball's without feeling like a fanservicey gimmick -- and it's nice to see him represented well in other media.

But yeah, on the manga -- Toriyama's at the top of his craft game in it. I actually love that it's our last printed glimpse into Toriyama's Dragon World.

Relenanator

Post by Relenanator » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I guess I'm the weird on in here because I read the manga and saw him in the movie and I was never that enthusiastic about him. If anything I would like to see some of Bulma's sister in the actual show more then Jaco.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm probably going to be the only one here who says this but I like him better than I do Beerus or Whis. He's just this quirky character that helps *Try* to protect the galaxy and it just so happened that
But I love his character and I think he fits extremely well in the Dragonball universe. I hope we get more of him.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 pm

I super enjoyed Jaco's manga, and leading up to the movie's release, I actually found myself anticipating his inclusion more than almost anything else. It's the same appeal as a crossover; I get where you're coming from that people should be more excited for a Dragon Ball movie than a Jaco movie, but introducing this new character into the universe was something so fresh and intriguing. It's the same appeal as a crossover, seeing two different franchises collide is a nerd dream, even though Jaco technically existed in the same universe all along.

Although my own experience was somewhat tainted because I did not enjoy his dub voice (I've never heard the sub voice) and was expecting something different, which is unfortunate.

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:55 pm

I really enjoyed Jaco and Resurrection F was my first taste of the character. I knew about him and knew what he was all about but his scenes in the movie really won me over. So much I finally got the manga afterwards. He's a fresh character that fits well in the world that is Dragon Ball. He's got an attitude and charm that's very appealing, even my sister enjoyed him and she had no idea who he was. I wouldn't mind seeing him again hopefully in Super we do! Actually it would of been fun to see him in the original series, I could see Kid Goku wanting to challenge a space patrol guy lol
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!