Who is your favorite character and why?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Draconic
I Live Here

Who is your favorite character and why?

Post by Draconic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Coming out of the Goku and Vegeta as leads thread where I found myself defending two characters I do not particulary would call my favorite I cam up with this thread.

My favorite is Piccolo because, after being a huge fan of Dragon Ball, when Z came out and the once greatest enemy of Goku had to team up with him to take down a greater foe I was stunned since it might have been the first time I saw something like that being a kid and all. Then the bonding with Gohan started culminating in his sacrifice, which pretty much sealed the deal. After that, during the Cell arc and fusing with Kami he became much wiser and a better observer of the fights even when he was outclassed. Also, the fact that he is the protagonist of my first two favorite fights (vs Goku and vs 2nd form Frieza) helps too.

So, who is your favorite and why? I would love answers as detailed as possible, but every reason will do :D
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Who is your favorite character and why?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Normally, I would say Goku, but nowadays I feel confused.

Thanks to Super and the modern movies, my top 5 looks like this now:
5.Beerus
4. Future Trunks
3. Cell
2. Fat Janemba <333

1. Whis. Whis is my #1.

Edit: Just realized you asked why. Well, every other character I've ever loved has been butchered, imo. I love everything about Whis. He's adorable, unbelievably powerful, completely indifferent towards everything, pokes fun at common tropes like characters silently looking at battles with serious expressions, and is gayer than a daffodil. His entire existence almost seems to intentionally poke fun at everything this series is commonly thought to be about.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:07 pm

I love fusions, Gogeta being my absolute favorite! :D
Movie 12 is my favorite DB film as well as being the first DB film I seen in Japanese. I would always (and still do) watch the hell out of it. Gogeta's short yet marvelous scene in that movie made him my favorite. He was a badass! His design is another thing that sold it for me, as I'm a huge fan of the Fusion Dance outfit. And for Gogeta getting SSJ4 (my favorite Saiyan transformation) I couldn't be happier! In my eyes he's the greatest. The OG Goku & Vegeta fusion. He is my favorite, now and forever.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by voltlunok » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Yamcha, he has a lot of character potential that is sadly wasted. I think that overall he is interesting and I'd love to see his story or at least past be expanded in the future, I wanna see Yamcha going through life, teaching himself martial arts and creating the Wolf Fang Fist.

Launch! (Or Lunch if ya wanna go by that.) She's so much fun. Really she is and it pains me that she's been pretty much forgotten by all the powers involved with Dragon Ball. She always gave scenes a shot of energy right to the arm whenever blonde Launch was around! It was like...weird analogy but, Blonde Launch was the sun that scorches the land while Blue Launch was the moon that soothed and healed the land. It was great and I WANT HER BACK!

Turtle, what can I say? I like dry humor.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Vegeta = for obvious reasons.

Mirai Trunks = like his backstory and personality so much,he's like the only character in the entire franchise who gets the shit done immedietly.

Android 18 = I dont know why i like her,hes like my one of my favorite character ever since my childhood.

Beerus = Hes like a neutral version of Goku with a little bit of Vegeta's personallity.And i like his goofy scenes :lol:

Tenshinhan = same for Android 18.

Well i guess thats my top 5 8)
Honorable Mentions:
-Whis
-Kuririn
-Kame-sennin
-Kaioshin
-Piccolo
Last edited by Khin on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Vegeta, cuz it's fucking Vegeta.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Since you guys have posted more than one I will share another too.

Not an outlandish choice: Gohan - when I was a kid he was really the first DB character I could relate too. I loved kid Goku and wanted to be strong like him, but Gohan's vulnerability just striked more with what I feel I would act if I lived in that world. He is also the protagonist of the single greatest moment in the series: The SSJ2 transformation. And, as a grown up and aspiring storyteller the fact that he is the strongest guy but also the least interested in fighting creates a very interesting contrast. Being Piccolo's buddy might also be a thing :lol:

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:37 pm

BROLY!!! HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM!!!!! haha yeah right.
Well... :D Anybody who knows me Knows I'm going to say Paikuhan is my favorite character. I've just always liked the look of his character and moves. I used to really love Vegeta back in the day. not that I hate him now or anything it's just his bad boy attitude kinda faded for me. I'm going to say Goku is my second favorite character. I just love his happy go lucky nature and how naive he can be about some stuff(In the original series when he sees a nude book he says ''How sad...these poor girls can't afford clothes. that's the greatest thing ever from him.) Plus Goku's a country bumpkin like me man haha I guess my 3rd favorite character would be Grandpa Gohan. He seems like such a nice and sweet old man. Uub has really grown on me here lately because I want him to be introduced somehow in super and become a hero like the rest of the gang so I'm going to make him my number 4. and my number 5 pick is Freeza. This is my favorite enemy of the series and he was just ruthless! the fight between Goku and Freeza is still my favorite. and just for fun, If I had to pick a planet to live on from the Dragonball universe it'd be the world of the Kai's. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Beerus is my current favorite with Piccolo a close second and Vegeta a solid bronze medal. I used to have Goku as my favorite but wow is he a total asshole if you stop to think about it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Some very surprising and diverse choices! I am really glad to have made this thread!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:52 pm

...Do I even really need to say? :P

Kuririn wasn't always my favorite though. Honestly, back in my younger days, I was somewhere between neutral towards the character and not liking him really. A majority of it came from a pretty common childhood interest towards the more 'badass' characters rather than the background guys or thinking about any other aspects of the character, and some of it also came from some people for some reason telling me I looked like him. Upon re-watching the franchise in full (this was back when the only 'new' work we had was the JSAT, mind you) though, both in English and Japanese, over a period of years, I quickly realized that Kuririn was my favorite nowadays. He's funny, has some cool moves, is probably the most relateable character out of the cast, and honestly, I just really like his design. Another big factor though is the great performances for him all around, at least on the versions I watch. Mayumi Tanaka obviously knocks it completely out of the park, but I also feel that in general, Laurie Steele and Sonny Strait have consistently done the character justice as well. I'm not so much a fan of Klassen's take, admittedly though.

Other than Kuririn, I do have a certain fondness for both Pan and Oob as well. With both of them a certain part of it is my own imagining of what the characters could be with the proper handling, since GT didn't really do anything with Oob, but I am honestly one of the few that enjoys Pan's character in GT as well. I've also started to really like Jaco ever since getting to read his manga in it's entirety and playing with him in Xenoverse, and from what I'm hearing, his parts in 'F' may well put him at a definite #2 spot for me.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:02 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Vegeta, cuz it's fucking Vegeta.

This. Along with Piccolo and Tenshinhan.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. Instagram

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Gokû's my favorite (he strikes a fun balance between adorable thrill seeker and troll), but Vegeta wins most entertaining.

Runners up are Beerus (especially when he does cat stuff) Whis (who I've really grown to like in both F and Super) Bulma, EoZ Pan, and (while I realize he's unofficial), Dumplin.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I'll do a top ten, because... well, why not? The more the merrier!

#1: Goku - I think it's impossible to be a Dragon Ball fan and not like Goku, regardless of whether or not he's your favorite character (though there may be some people who may want to contest me on that...). He's unique in the sense that he's very likable despite being a jackass when you bother to think about it. Still, he had one of the most compelling character arcs in the series in the Saiyan and Freeza arcs, and he's the main character who kept the ship sailing all this time. He's my favorite character out of any series as well. He wasn't always my favorite though, when I watched the series for the first time, my favorite was Kid Boo... because he was strong. Let's just say that's a part of my life I'm not really that proud of.

#2: Vegeta - Do I need to explain why? Vegeta is, without a doubt, the most developed character in the series. I often get annoyed at the huge praise he gets from the more casual part of the fanbase, but I still can't deny that he's a fantastic character, and a really well-written one for a series such as this, that doesn't care that much about anything else other than providing entertainment for kids. I don't think I ever preferred him over Goku though, even when I got into the franchise for the first time a few years ago. Poor Vegeta will always be number #2. Also I ship Goku x Vegeta, come at me.

#3: Freeza - I usually flip-flop between him and Kuririn for the number #3 and #4 spots. I actually had Kuririn here on 3rd when I started writing this, but then changed it again. I think it's mostly because F is really recent in my mind (and I re-read the Freeza arc A LOT) and I'm really, really excited for the F arc in the anime (though I will probably just disappoint myself massively), so perhaps that's why I like him over Kuririn at this time. Freeza is a very entertaining character, be it with the way he talks, with his mannerisms or just with the way he chooses to kill people (or his excellent voice actors). He's just a joy to watch, which is very weird, considering he's... well, the villain. I didn't like him AT ALL when I watched the series for the first time, mostly because I watched the Funimation dub and, well... Linda Young. Still, I really grew to love the character. I just don't know if I like the Freeza arc so much because of Freeza himself, or if I like Freeza so much because of his arc. Maybe a mixture of both.

#4: Kuririn - And here's the one who has been at number three, sometimes even number two, for a really long time, until I found my love for Freeza that is. I think Gyt Kaliba has described over and over why he loves the character, and I can't say I don't disagree, he's just a very relatable and real character. A guy that, even when he's scared when facing super-powered aliens and robots, tries his hardest, who could hate that?

#5: Beerus - I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Beerus is single-handily the best thing to happen to the franchise ever since the Freeza arc ended. He was really likable in Battle of Gods, but it was only until Super took the time to flesh out his character more and show us the other aspects of his personality that he climbed so much up the list. He has so much potential to grow into a very well-written character (I'd even argue that he is one already) and Super's already trying to do that, especially with episodes #6 and #11. But he's also someone who has been needlessly shoved into new material, and that could harm his character in the long-run, especially if they play it safe all time and don't do anything interesting or new with the character. Regardless, Beerus is very likable, as of now.

#6: Future Trunks - Being the poster boy for the saddest and most well-written story in the series, as well as the most impressive entrance out of any character, Trunks is just all-around cool. I hoped he could have been developed a lot more and that he had a bit more prominent role in the Cell arc, but I'm still quite satisfied with how his character turned out. It's almost a sin not to be sorry for this guy and his existence alone gives the arc he's in a different type of atmosphere all together, and something that shakes up the norm is great (which is the main reason I'd like to see him back for Super). I really enjoyed the short story Aya Matsui wrote for the character, so that's also a big reason he's so high up.

From here on out, I still really like the remaining characters, but the top six are on a level way above them. I don't feel as strong about these as I do with the ones I mentioned so far. As in, I'm less likely to write long posts or analysis about them, to defend them in discussions or even write fan-fiction where they have a prominent role.

#7: Whis - Pretty much almost the same reasoning as Beerus, he's a very likable character and a welcome addition to the Dragon Ball cast. He also has a lot of potential for growth and to be placed in interesting and different scenarios. He's placed lower because he, as of now, lacks the depth that Beerus got through Super (and Battle of Gods as well). Whis for now is just a walking plot device, something I hope changes in the future.

#8: Roshi - Though I'm a fan of his pervy antics (which is surprising considering I really, really dislike Dragon Ball's early pervy humor), I miss wise Roshi. It's a shame that his character took a backseat after the Daimao arc but his character arc had already finished in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai either way. It was a pleasure to see him kick some ass in F for old time's sake though, that is one aspect I can say I really enjoyed about the film.

#9: Jaco - He's probably higher than he should be, but I always change my mind with the characters, the only thing that's constant is the top two. He's extremely entertaining in every piece of work he has been in. Which, admittedly, isn't much, but still. I hope that in Super, in the universe six arc, instead of getting Pilaf filler, how about some Jaco filler instead? How about it Toei?

#10: Piccolo - I'll be honest and say he's here because I couldn't think of anyone for 10th place, and Piccolo was just the first character to pop up. I could put Gohan here but I never really cared for Gohan much, at all. Piccolo is also one of Dragon Ball's best written characters and it shows, too, he has some very profound lines here and there. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him, but there's not much to do with his character at all now, so I'm happy he's in the sidelines.
fadeddreams5 wrote:5. Beerus
I thought you hated him :p
Last edited by Doctor. on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Piccolo. Because:
a) Design. I love his design. I kinda sorta have a thing for perfect-looking Nameks (Piccolo, Nail and Dende at the beginning of the Boo arc). Everything about his outfit is cool...the gi, the kanji, the cape and the turban.

b) Personality. There is a certain calmness about him that has always appealed to me, even during his time as a villain. His intelligence and wisdom (something that I believe greatly separates him from Vegeta) make him even more appealing.
And, yeah...he has great comic relief moments. He made the driving episode a legendary filler, after all.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Okay, if I disregard modern portrayals, but include Beerus and Whis, my list looks more like this:

10. Broly (based on personality in first movie) or Kid Buu
9. Piccolo (pre-Buu saga)
8. Future Trunks
7. Cell (#1 in the design department, though)
6. Fatty J <333
5. Whis
4. Kid Gohan (might as well count his Saiyan-Cell saga self apart from that other thing)
3. Frieza
2. Vegeta
1. Goku

I love Krillin and all the supporting cast too.

I changed my mind about Beerus. I'm on the fence with him.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Piccolo. He's aloof and reserved but not to the point of complete detachment. He's driven and determined but not to the point of whiny entitlement issues. Combine creating some of the coolest, most diverse techniques in the show, having the best villain to hero transition in the series, and his cool, sleek design and you have why I appreciate Piccolo so much. Even when he's not the focus or up to par with the rest of the cast, his invaluable insight makes him almost as reliable as any SSJG out there. 8)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Doctor wrote:I thought you hated him :p
I didn't see this before I edited it. lol

I don't hate him though.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Hmm, well my favourite character is Goku :D Then in 2nd place it is a 3 way tie between Pics, Vegeta and Krillin! Pics is green so there's that plus he's the most level headed out of anyone brings a sense of maturity to the table. Vegeta is a hard ass "prince" walking around with a stick up his butt, (though that is very loose nowadays) just his mannerisms and they way he does things is just great to watch, like "it's cheese" the delivery was perfect Vegeta. And Krillin that wise cracking pipsqueak, really does know how to lighten the mood, whenever he is one screen you can't help but smile (unless he is dying then you cry :cry: ), like in my Resurrection "F" screening when Krillin first appeared everyone started laughing that is how funny he is! :lol:

As for the new characters, haven't had enough to consider them favourites yet but they've been great so far, hopefully we'll see a lot more of them during U6.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:55 pm

5. Tenshinhan. His fight with Goku is just awesome
4. Gohan. A neat idea to have a fighter who doesn't like fighting.
3. Goku. Cause he's Goku. Any questions ?
2. Krlliln. Cause I'm like him.
Piccolo. Cause he's awesome.
they/them

cat vibing