What's Wrong With Goku in the Buu Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's Wrong With Goku in the Buu Saga?

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:40 pm

I mean i've seen many people on here say that Goku was terrible in this Saga. So I ask why?
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: What's Wrong With Goku in the Buu Saga?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:52 pm

He was a bit of an asshole... and a major idiot.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:53 pm

He makes a lot of bad decisions that exasperate problems.

-Playing Babidi's Ship's game instead of using ssj3 to quickly take down everyone, even if it meant he'd probably use up most of his 24 hour time limit.
-Choosing to fight Majin Vegeta instead of just knocking him unconscious the way Vegeta ultimately knocked Gokû himself unconscious.
-Could he have taken down regular ol Fat Buu as a ssj3? I don't know I don't do power levels; but if he could then that's a similar situation to the first thing I listed.
-Trying to bribe Old Kai with what he bribed him with. At least Vegeta (rightfully imo) chewed Gokû out on this when he found out.
-After all the trouble they went through inside Buu, being unable to take Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo with them on that teleport off Earth before it blew up. (Though Vegeta also chews him out on this one too. I do appreciate that Vegeta calls Gokû out on this stuff.)
-Some of the temporary (because I haven't seen any of it in Super, BOG, or F) Vegeta-y after effects he's got going on for a while after they defuse inside Buu. There's a whole thread by someone somewhere on this forum about how after that each of them were sometimes displaying some of the other's traits. It does look like it wore off by the time Super starts though.
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:54 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:He was a bit of an asshole... and a major idiot.

How what did he do wrong?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:01 am

The Patrolman wrote:

-Was calm (or at least more than he should be) about letting Spopovich and Yamu steal Gohan's energy even though he has no idea why they want it.
-Made a game out of fighting Babidi's minions even though Kaioshin was crying for him and the other two Saiyans to take the job seriously.
-Accepted Majin Vegeta's challenge to fight him one-on-one instead of seeking help from the others.
-Entrusted the fate of the entire universe to two non-warrior children (though this one's a little more understandable than most of the shit he pulled).
-Bribing Elder Kaioshin with x-rated photos of his son's girlfriend, and his longest and (second) closest friend while insulting his wive's figure.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:07 am

I forgot about the Yamu and Spopovich stealing Gohan's energy part. Could they have gotten the location of Babidi's spaceship from them by cornering them instead or would Babidi just have his minions blown up from there before they could get the info out of them? I guess it'd be up to Toriyama and his editor.

I don't recall that part of the arc well enough to know if they could've found the location without following the minions back.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:12 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:

-Was calm (or at least more than he should be) about letting Spopovich and Yamu steal Gohan's energy even though he has no idea why they want it.
-Made a game out of fighting Babidi's minions even though Kaioshin was crying for him and the other two Saiyans to take the job seriously.
-Accepted Majin Vegeta's challenge to fight him one-on-one instead of seeking help from the others.
-Entrusted the fate of the entire universe to two non-warrior children (though this one's a little more understandable than most of the shit he pulled).
-Bribing Elder Kaioshin with x-rated photos of his son's girlfriend, and his longest and (second) closest friend while insulting his wive's figure.
1. That was a nitpick
2. So did Vegeta in his battle with Pui Pui
3. If he didnt accept Vegeta's challenge, he will keep on killing innocent people.
4. It wasnt entirely his fault, Gotenks was litterally screwing around the whole fight.
5. That was there for comedic purposes

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 am

Chuquita wrote:He makes a lot of bad decisions that exasperate problems.

-Playing Babidi's Ship's game instead of using ssj3 to quickly take down everyone, even if it meant he'd probably use up most of his 24 hour time limit.
-Choosing to fight Majin Vegeta instead of just knocking him unconscious the way Vegeta ultimately knocked Gokû himself unconscious.
-Could he have taken down regular ol Fat Buu as a ssj3? I don't know I don't do power levels; but if he could then that's a similar situation to the first thing I listed.
-Trying to bribe Old Kai with what he bribed him with. At least Vegeta (rightfully imo) chewed Gokû out on this when he found out.
-After all the trouble they went through inside Buu, being unable to take Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo with them on that teleport off Earth before it blew up. (Though Vegeta also chews him out on this one too. I do appreciate that Vegeta calls Gokû out on this stuff.)
-Some of the temporary (because I haven't seen any of it in Super, BOG, or F) Vegeta-y after effects he's got going on for a while after they defuse inside Buu. There's a whole thread by someone somewhere on this forum about how after that each of them were sometimes displaying some of the other's traits. It does look like it wore off by the time Super starts though.
Regarding fighting Vegeta, he also could have also just just gone SSJ3 straight of the bat and finished the fight in seconds.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:18 am

Vegito. He let himself get absorbed! He was sweating! He didn't know for sure if he could stop himself from being absorbed with the barrier but Vegito did it anyways to save the others who simply could have been brought back with the dragonballs with the rest of the earthlings within the hour of buu's death! This is ALL Goku's fault, I can't see Vegeta risking the entire universe to save 4 people from being dead for less then 60 minutes! That's buu saga Goku stupidity.

There's other things too like saying he can beat fat buu but not super buu who has fat buu's power level. Also comptiplating fusing with Mr. Satan or Dende, saving those 2 and a dog over his own child, the man who helped raise his first bon and vegeta's then only child -_-
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:03 am

Chuquita wrote: -Some of the temporary (because I haven't seen any of it in Super, BOG, or F) Vegeta-y after effects he's got going on for a while after they defuse inside Buu. There's a whole thread by someone somewhere on this forum about how after that each of them were sometimes displaying some of the other's traits. It does look like it wore off by the time Super starts though.
Wow, really? I haven't seen that theory, it sounds fascinating. Can I have a link?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Goku's decision making was made to left desired greatly in the Majin Boo arc. He was also a bit of an ass, too.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Absolutely nothing. Goku in the Boo arc is a character who's still true to his nature, but for once tries to be mature about things; they just don't end up the way he wants them to. And that gets under people's skin, for some reason.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:Absolutely nothing. Goku in the Boo arc is a character who's still true to his nature, but for once tries to be mature about things; they just don't end up the way he wants them to. And that gets under people's skin, for some reason.
Do you mean him trying to get the next generation to deal with their own problems? Its not a bad message sure but the problem is, Goku isn't some old geezer who can't help anymore. He can still assist and I personally find it irresponsible for him to not kill a guy he says he can kill because he wants the rookie kids to fight the most powerful being in the universe as their trial by fire. Even Roshi volunteered to help Goku fight Raditz but quietly bowed out once it became clear for him he can't keep up with the requirements of the Z era fighting. Goku is still the strongest of the heroes by this point, he has no excuse. Its the right mentality for absolutely the wrong circumstances and situation he's trying to make them happen in.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Do you mean him trying to get the next generation to deal with their own problems? Its not a bad message sure but the problem is, Goku isn't some old geezer who can't help anymore. He can still assist and I personally find it irresponsible for him to not kill a guy he says he can kill because he wants the rookie kids to fight the most powerful being in the universe as their trial by fire. Even Roshi volunteered to help Goku fight Raditz but quietly bowed out once it became clear for him he can't keep up with the requirements of the Z era fighting. Goku is still the strongest of the heroes by this point, he has no excuse. Its the right mentality for absolutely the wrong circumstances and situation he's trying to make them happen in.
Goku isn't some old geezer, you're right. What is he, though? DEAD! It's a surprisingly mature decision on Goku's part to let the kids handle it. He has no business interfering with matters in a world he no longer has any right to be in. Boo was an opponent that Goku thought he could beat at any time, if things happened to have backfired. Not knowing that he could change form was what was wrong with the plan, not anything else.
Last edited by Doctor. on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:56 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
Chuquita wrote: -Some of the temporary (because I haven't seen any of it in Super, BOG, or F) Vegeta-y after effects he's got going on for a while after they defuse inside Buu. There's a whole thread by someone somewhere on this forum about how after that each of them were sometimes displaying some of the other's traits. It does look like it wore off by the time Super starts though.
Wow, really? I haven't seen that theory, it sounds fascinating. Can I have a link?
I believe this is it, http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=27546

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Do you mean him trying to get the next generation to deal with their own problems? Its not a bad message sure but the problem is, Goku isn't some old geezer who can't help anymore. He can still assist and I personally find it irresponsible for him to not kill a guy he says he can kill because he wants the rookie kids to fight the most powerful being in the universe as their trial by fire. Even Roshi volunteered to help Goku fight Raditz but quietly bowed out once it became clear for him he can't keep up with the requirements of the Z era fighting. Goku is still the strongest of the heroes by this point, he has no excuse. Its the right mentality for absolutely the wrong circumstances and situation he's trying to make them happen in.
Goku isn't some old geezer, you're right. What is he, though? DEAD! It's a surprisingly mature decision on Goku's part to let the kids handle it. He has no business interfering with manners in a world he no longer has any right to be in. Boo was an opponent that Goku thought he could beat at any time, if things happened to have backfired. Not knowing that he could change form was what was wrong with the plan, not anything else.
You're right, he doesn't have the right to be there. But what is he, though? IN THERE! SO DO SOMETHING! He has absolutely nothing to lose by going all out and trying his best to take out Buu with the time he has left. If necessary, Baba could easily take Goten and Trunks to Other World where Goku can demonstrate the fusion dance to them and they can become Gotenks & learn Super Saiyan 3 anyhow. This, coupled with the fact Gohan will get his potential unlock regardless and that Earth can just be wished back by Goku contacting the Namekian's if it gets destroyed at the mean time leaves them all with plenty of alternatives to deal with Buu if his attempt fails.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: leaves them all with plenty of alternatives to deal with Buu if his attempt fails.
There you go. You answered your own question about why Goku didn't do anything.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: leaves them all with plenty of alternatives to deal with Buu if his attempt fails.
There you go. You answered your own question about why Goku didn't do anything.
The alternatives don't automatically mean Goku shouldn't have done anything, they're there as back up plans for him to work off of if he himself fails after giving it his all. Goku knowingly holds back just so he can put his and Vegeta's kid through an insane trial by fire that would make any other being in the universe piss themselves and the boys if they had a single functioning brain cell between them. Its a stupid choice where even his own punch junkie attitude doesn't work, he's just being a dumbass.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Goku knowingly holds back just so he can put his and Vegeta's kid through an insane trial by fire that would make any other being in the universe piss themselves and the boys if they had a single functioning brain cell between them. Its a stupid choice where even his own punch junkie attitude doesn't work, he's just being a dumbass.
That's why I said in my original post that Goku tries to be mature while still being true to his nature. His nature being someone obsessed with battle and a dumbass.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Goku's lesson of letting the living solve their own problems because some dead guy can't always come to save the world is sound. The problem is a DEAD GUY was responsible for this problem in the first place. That dead guy was Goku. It was Goku's fault, and he's trying to pass it off as a living world affair that he helped cause. If Goku were in the other world and this happened, I'd be more understanding of his stance. He and Vegeta caused the problem, so Goku really shoulda just fixed the problem he caused since he was more than capable of doing it. I'd be more understanding of Goku if say he couldn't fix the problem, so he had to rely on the others. Say if SSJ3 would burn out his time on earth, faster than he could kill Boo. So then he'd be no help to anyone. However Goku makes it clear that he could have one shotted Vegeta and put a stop to Boo. So he comes off as someone with good intentions, but totally misguided.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!