Expected to like "adult" cartoons over DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Expected to like "adult" cartoons over DB?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:54 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Even in my room, despite having a pretty big collection, I keep it hidden in a closet.
Isn't that a little excessive? I think it's pretty cool to have a little geek shrine with your consoles, games, figures, and maybe posters, as long as you don't go overboard. I mean, who are you letting in your home that will negatively judge you (unless you're picking up girls and will be ashamed if they see that.)? lol.

Besides that, I agree though. In my case, it's not so much that I care about people judging me, but I don't like drawing attention to myself. lol.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:13 am

I guess I don't really like staring at it when I'm not in the mood lol Right now I was watching the old Ocean dub stuff and I have the DVDs out by my PS4 and every time I look at them, I just want to watch them. I don't think I'd get very far in my studying and whatnot if I were constantly looking at DB stuff lol

Froggy

Post by Froggy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:58 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Froggy wrote: and godzilla ? really ? the few appearances it had in america were unsuccessful attempts to destroy cities.
Godzilla is the most recognizable symbols of Japanese popular culture worldwide and was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Everyone knows who he is and he has many pop culture references in movies, TV shows and other entertainment for decades. Last year's Godzilla movie was a successful film by grossing over 500 million worldwide and is even getting a sequel. Godzilla has several film historians that wrote many books of Godzilla and how much of a influence the movies had in both in Japan and the rest of the world.
the godzilla movie that earned the most in the US was the 2014 release, which earned 200m(domestic). which isnt enough to make a real income (it is said that to make money you need to double the profits because of advartisement and promotion costs so breaking even isnt enough).
the 500m you speak of come mostly of WORLDWIDE (without USA) income.
since godzilla 2 is getting a 2018 release and on right now the first stages of pre-production, it can always be cancelled or shelved. happens all the time.

although as you mentioned, it did earned a hollywood walk of ofame star so that shows something, but in reality an impact isnt THAT big.
----------------------
its true there are books on the godzilla series, but the question is who wrote them and how many readers are americans. after all, we are looking at impact on the US culture.
i agree many know who is godzilla, but not many know about its origins or his expanded universe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Froggy wrote: (it is said that to make money you need to double the profits because of advartisement and promotion costs so breaking even isnt enough).
the 500m you speak of come mostly of WORLDWIDE (without USA) income.
That rule is only relevant when we want to know when the movie studios are reeeaaallly happy with its release because a movie will continue to make money in many years to come. Movies from the 80s and 70s still make money today and every time they are shown a portion of money reverts in some form to where the movie came from, whether they made a ton of money when they were released or not.

Also, making a lot money doesn't necessarily translate into having a big impact and vice-versa.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Just like whatever you like and dame anyone who says otherwise. As long as your relatively normal about it, I'd imagine no one would really care.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:27 am

Legendary Pictures considers Godzilla to be a success and they even plan a sequel for 2018. Not to mention the movie was a big hit in Japan and even made Toho to go back to making their own Godzilla movie again 2016.

Anyways, if you should not let people judge if you like Dragon Ball as an adult. People should enjoy what they like as long if it's not hurting others. People will give geeks hard time when sports are not much different. Being a fanboy of your favorite team is no different then being a fanboy of your favorite TV series if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:15 am

Generally if DBZ comes up I just mention I was obsessed with it as a kid and didn't think too highly of it when I rewatched it as an adult. I don't think I've ever been belittled by someone for watching DBZ, nor would I care.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:19 am

My thoughts on the matter? I could not care less about the opinions of people who think there's something wrong with watching kids' shows. Especially if they think the only cartoons it's acceptable for me to watch are comedies playing on pure shock-value. No, give me my anime and Disney movies any day. A while back I was having a conversation with an old friend of mine, and we both agreed that kids' films these days are honestly really good; I went to see Big Hero 6 in theaters on my own, and I think the trip was perfectly justified. Oh, and Inside Out is quite possibly my new favorite movie ever.
...Thankfully though, most people I know are mature enough to not judge me for watching cartoons. Well, aside from maybe a few people who think me watching My Little Pony is somehow worse than watching any other kids' show.