Why so much hate for Gohan now?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Why so much hate for Gohan now?

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm

I disliked the Gohan character from his debut right up until midway through the Buu saga. Old Kai's potential unlock saw him become "Mystic Gohan". For me, it was the moment the boy finally became a man. Even though he never actually beat Buu himself, I thought that was a great moment and I was won around by him. Unfortunately since then he has really flattered to deceive for me. Very disappointing.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Gohan has always been a good character no matter which saga. He's the most realistic character on the show.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 pm

precita wrote:Gohan has always been a good character no matter which saga. He's the most realistic character on the show.
I'd say Krillin is the most realistic and down to Earth character in the show. Seeing how much he evolves with how the story progresses just feels so natural. Despite what people say about Krillin, in regards to how much he dies, I find myself relating to Krillin the most. Plus, he landed the hottest chick and strongest woman on the planet.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan has always been a good character no matter which saga. He's the most realistic character on the show.
I'd say Krillin is the most realistic and down to Earth character in the show. Seeing how much he evolves with how the story progresses just feels so natural. Despite what people say about Krillin, in regards to how much he dies, I find myself relating to Krillin the most. Plus, he landed the hottest chick and strongest woman on the planet.
I agree with your point Lord Beerus. I also adore how Kuririn got into martial arts to pick up girls and end up someone much stronger than him.

Gohan hate based on recent characterization is totally uncalled for. Gohan is the same as he was in the Boo Arc. He doesn't like to train with good reason, since early childhood his life was ripped apart from him. It's surprising adult Gohan is sane and doesn't utterly hate his father. All the suffering he had was collateral from his father deeds. Which end up with him forcing Gohan to clean his mess (Cell).

Should Gohan keep up training? Yes. Is it plausible he doesn't? Yes. There isn't a hidden agenda against Gohan, it's just who he is.
The humiliation argument is baseless. Everyone in BoG was defeated, including Goku(twice). In FnF he's defeated by someone far stronger than him. In Super by someone comparable(in a surprise attack), who did it only because he admitted Gohan was the strongest enemy.
These acts aren't new, Gohans was in order: KOed by Raditz, beat up by Nappa and Vegeta, punched in the gut by Vegeta, broken neck at the hands of Recoome and beat up by Freeza.

I'm starting to think all this noise, is from people who don't see their expectations of the character meet and embark in the bandwagon. Which itself appears to be an artificial idea, created by repetition and group validation.
If someone says, I don't like how Gohan was portrayed in the Boo Arc and how Super is continuing the process. Sure, fair and valid. Another one says, always hated Gohan and hate him now. Sure, your opinion.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Gohan hate based on recent characterization is totally uncalled for. Gohan is the same as he was in the Boo Arc.
I don't think he is. Buu saga Gohan actually showed more personality, had that saiyaman thing going on, and not only wanted to train for a tournament, but also excitedly insisted on fighting in Babidi's ship. When he got his ass handed to him by Buu, it's clear he regretted not spending the past several years training, and later finds his resolve after the Old Kai's ritual, only to be stripped of any defining moment by bad writing.

Mind you, I'm not even that much of a fan of his characterization in the Buu saga, but he was a billion times more interesting there than he is now, which is more similar to his GT self... only, shockingly worse.
KOed by Raditz, beat up by Nappa and Vegeta, punched in the gut by Vegeta, broken neck at the hands of Recoome and beat up by Freeza.
Raditz - Managed to damage Raditz, and distracted him long enough for Goku to use his full nelson on him.

Nappa - The kid developed as a fighter in this battle.

Vegeta - Contributed GREATLY to the defeat of Vegeta.

Gut punch - Managed to keep Vegeta from finding his dragon ball or figuring out the significance of his "clock."

Recoome - Put up a damn good fight against someone many times stronger than him, and continued until near death.

Frieza - Two rage boosts. Thanks to one, Dende was able to heal Krillin. Thanks to the other, he saved Piccolo.

And this was while he was a developing fighter. When he tapped into his hidden reserves in the Cell Games, he kicked the major villain's ass, even after Goku himself could not. Naturally, that's what people want to see more of (excluding the sadism and arrogance), not the loser who later got embarrassingly trashed by Fat Buu. At least, he had his moment against Super Buu, as small as it was...

Fast forward to GT, Super and modern DBZ:
GT - Can't hold his own against first-form Rildo, a subordinate, but at least saves Pan.
BoG - One-shotted by Beerus. Contributes nothing.
BoG arc - One-shotted by Beerus, even while other characters put up a better fight. Contributes nothing.
RF - One-shotted by a punch to the gut by Frieza in his first ****ing form. Contributes as much as everyone else, but better writing would have had him fighting first-form Frieza while the others took down the army.
RF arc - One-shotted by a mook. No wait, I mean, a super strong minion who may be stronger than a SSJ after 4 months of getting his ass kicked.

Did I mention Gohan's regressing in strength? Fans love this character because, as mentioned above, he is pretty relatable. But besides that, we watched him grow and gain control of powers we, the audience, knew he had since the beginning. Now? His personality (both pre and post-Buu saga) has been stripped from him, he's lost all that strength, he gets one-shotted all the time, his character design is that of a generic nerd, and to top it all off, even the story makes it clear he's a joke (e.g. Goku not choosing him for the tournament). No Gohan fan can defend this.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:12 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Gohan hate based on recent characterization is totally uncalled for. Gohan is the same as he was in the Boo Arc.
I don't think he is. Buu saga Gohan actually showed more personality, had that saiyaman thing going on, and not only wanted to train for a tournament, but also excitedly insisted on fighting in Babidi's ship. When he got his ass handed to him by Buu, it's clear he regretted not spending the past several years training, and later finds his resolve after the Old Kai's ritual, only to be stripped of any defining moment by bad writing.

Mind you, I'm not even that much of a fan of his characterization in the Buu saga, but he was a billion times more interesting there than he is now, which is more similar to his GT self... only, shockingly worse.
KOed by Raditz, beat up by Nappa and Vegeta, punched in the gut by Vegeta, broken neck at the hands of Recoome and beat up by Freeza.
Raditz - Managed to damage Raditz, and distracted him long enough for Goku to use his full nelson on him.

Nappa - The kid developed as a fighter in this battle.

Vegeta - Contributed GREATLY to the defeat of Vegeta.

Gut punch - Managed to keep Vegeta from finding his dragon ball or figuring out the significance of his "clock."

Recoome - Put up a damn good fight against someone many times stronger than him, and continued until near death.

Freeza - Two rage boosts. Thanks to one, Dende was able to heal Krillin. Thanks to the other, he saved Piccolo.

And this was while he was a developing fighter. When he tapped into his hidden reserves in the Cell Games, he kicked the major villain's ass, even after Goku himself could not. Naturally, that's what people want to see more of (excluding the sadism and arrogance), not the loser who later got embarrassingly trashed by Fat Buu. At least, he had his moment against Super Buu, as small as it was...

Fast forward to GT, Super and modern DBZ:
GT - Can't hold his own against first-form Rildo, a subordinate, but at least saves Pan.
BoG - One-shotted by Beerus. Contributes nothing.
BoG arc - One-shotted by Beerus, even while other characters put up a better fight. Contributes nothing.
RF - One-shotted by a punch to the gut by Freeza in his first ****ing form. Contributes as much as everyone else, but better writing would have had him fighting first-form Freeza while the others took down the army.
RF arc - One-shotted by a mook. No wait, I mean, a super strong minion who may be stronger than a SSJ after 4 months of getting his ass kicked.

Did I mention Gohan's regressing in strength? Fans love this character because, as mentioned above, he is pretty relatable. But besides that, we watched him grow and gain control of powers we, the audience, knew he had since the beginning. Now? His personality (both pre and post-Buu saga) has been stripped from him, he's lost all that strength, he gets one-shotted all the time, his character design is that of a generic nerd, and to top it all off, even the story makes it clear he's a joke (e.g. Goku not choosing him for the tournament). No Gohan fan can defend this.
In the Boo Arc Gohan had more screen-time, his personality is still pretty similar. He wanted to train for the tournament because Goku was returning, he went to Babidi's ship because his father, mentor and friends went also. He was ashamed he didn't train, that does add up as a negative. That's a good reason to keep a "trip to the gym" constant. But after Boo, his father was alive. I can see Gohan placing the responsibility on his father shoulders.
I only saw GT once, many years ago. I don't remember it well enough to comment on anything related to it's contents.

Even with your list, I still see the "humiliations" as being the same as before. He didn't do anything in BoG, but the movie was 90% Goku and 10% Vegeta. In the series adaptation, it's pretty much the same. They gave Mr.Boo a proper confrontation not much else. Putting him 4th in the pecking order, equal to everybody else.

In FnF, I disagree with you. He's clearly the most important fighter besides Goku and Vegeta. He has the better sequences defeating the soldiers, he saves both Kuririn and Piccolo. Defeating Shisame in dominating fashion. Sure, Freeza finishes him in one punch, but that's the classic "look how scary the new Freeza is, he defeated Gohan in his First Form with just a punch".

In the adaptation, like I said he's still regarded as the strongest and apparently in the next episode will be the only one to resist Tagoma. If Tagoma's power up is bullshit or not doesn't matter. Gohan is still the only one capable of fighting an opponent of such caliber.

Him getting weaker is a solid complain, only because no explanation is offered ,besides lack of training, for the lack of the Mystic Form.

I'm 100% with you regarding his nerdy design, it's over the top. Goku's disregarding him as a participant for the tournament, reinforces what we already know Gohan doesn't like to fight. Goku is just recognizing that. If Gohan went to the tournament, I would classify that as bad writing. The organizers are Beerus and his brother, who he knows are capable of killing for the slightest thing. I see Gohan preferring to spend time with his family and show up to his job, than go to a remote place in the Universe to play-fight. He's not like his father who runs away just to learn a new technique or get stronger.
Vegeta recognizes Gohan has the greatest potential. He isn't forced to fulfill it only because fans prefer it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:52 am

LightBing wrote: I can see Gohan placing the responsibility on his father shoulders.
I can see this too. My gripe is that, if this is the case, they can easily leave him off-screen doing his family business, and only use him when the time is right, instead of squeezing the character into every turmoil and having him constantly be one-shotted. When shows do this, people anticipate these infrequent characters' appearances more.
He didn't do anything in BoG, but the movie was 90% Goku and 10% Vegeta.
And that's one of the problems with that movie. Videl being pregnant was randomly jammed in there, but happened to be a very important plot point. So instead of making a Pilaf side-story nobody cared about, why couldn't they have given Gohan the (comedic) side-story instead? Something involving his last days as the Great Saiyaman and plans on asking Videl to be his wife. Not only would this have worked better, but they could have had Beerus slapping Videl (who Gohan finds out is pregnant beforehand) instead, giving HIM the rage boost over Vegeta (a throwback for all the fans). Meanwhile, Vegeta would still be crucial to the plot as the character trying to prevent Beerus from snapping. It all comes together, but they just don't give two ****s about the character.
Sure, Freeza finishes him in one punch, but that's the classic "look how scary the new Freeza is, he defeated Gohan in his First Form with just a punch".
On the contrary, what I get from that scene is "look at how weak Gohan has become" (similar to the Fat Buu battle). This is already revealed earlier in the movie when Gohan implies he's not even sure he can go SSJ. But why, I ask? Why have they gone this route with the character? Nobody, and I mean nobody, wants this.

What should have happened in F? Gohan should have fought first form Frieza in his mystic form as everyone else fought the army. He should have had the upper-hand and advised Frieza to transform before he finishes him. At this point, Frieza should have laughed, obeyed, and stunned Gohan, as well as everyone else, with the power of his final form. THEN, he could have one-shotted Gohan, leaving the rest of the gang in awe. Simple and cooler.

Know that scene where Imperfect Cell breaks Piccolo's (who at this point was the strongest good guy) neck and blasts him? That created that feeling of dread you mentioned. Another scene that does this is the one where 18 breaks SSJ Vegeta's arm and continues, alongside her brother, to effortlessly defeat SSJ Trunks and the rest of the gang. These leave an impression because the villains are beating the top tier characters at the time with ease--while they're at their strongest!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:03 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:What should have happened in F? Gohan should have fought first form Freeza in his mystic form as everyone else fought the army. He should have had the upper-hand and advised Freeza to transform before he finishes him. At this point, Freeza should have laughed, obeyed, and stunned Gohan, as well as everyone else, with the power of his final form. THEN, he could have one-shotted Gohan, leaving the rest of the gang in awe. Simple and cooler.
Gohan advising freeza to transform would be a bit stupid,something vegeta would do or goku lol ^^

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:06 am

Yeah, Gohan telling Freeza to transform would nullify most of the character development he got in the Boo arc (even more than not training did).

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:11 am

I didn't mean it in a "come on, Frieza, fight me using your real power!" sort of way. I meant it in a condescending "you shouldn't have underestimated me / I'm not the same kid you fought on Namek" way. Maybe "provoked" was a better word choice.

Regardless, even if he went Goku mode on him, it's still better than being a pansy getting gut punched, as happened in the movie. They've already thrown this character's positive development in the toilet, and have long been stirring it with feces.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:13 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I didn't mean it in a "come on, Freeza, fight me using your real power!" sort of way. I meant it in a condescending "you shouldn't have underestimated me / I'm not the same kid you fought on Namek" way. Maybe "provoked" was a better word choice.

Regardless, even if he went Goku mode on him, it's still better than being a pansy getting gut punched, as happened in the movie. Not like they haven't already thrown this character development in the toilet before.
Yeah, I understood what you meant, I still think it's out of character. Gohan grew out of that and he knows Freeza has 3 other forms, it'd be better if he KNEW he had no chance and was purposefully taunting Freeza in order to persuade him to stay in his 1st form so he can buy time.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:18 am

If Frieza fell for that sort of taunting, he'd come off as an even bigger idiot. lol.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:19 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:If Freeza fell for that sort of taunting, he'd come off as an even bigger idiot. lol.
I didn't say that Freeza would buy it :P I think this way, with Gohan not being cocky and trying to find the best way to stall for time, and Freeza trying to dispatch of things quickly, would be the best way to show both characters in a positive light.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:39 am

Gohan would be able to take first form Freeza in his mystic form regardless of Freeza's 4 month training, it's only when Freeza powers up to his final form that Goku and the others are surprised by his increase in power. As I recall, Freeza's goal was to become stronger than Majin Buu and it's obvious that Mystic Gohan was much stronger than an unfused Super Buu so it's perfectly plausible for him to stand a chance.

All you have to do is have Freeza underestimate Gohan (since he doesn't know about the mystic form) and have them fight for a bit before Freeza transforms and gets the upper hand. Having the two of them fight is a better way to stall for time and doesn't result in Gohan looking weak.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Yeah, I would have liked to see them fight too. I'm just saying that instead of the fight finishing with Gohan provoking or taunting Freeza, it'd finish with Gohan trying to make sure Freeza stays in his first form to stall time, only for Freeza to transform anyway.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:50 am

I would've liked either scenario, as long as they fought and Gohan retained all his powers. Only reason I prefer the unintentional provoking is cause I'd like Gohan to not really think much of Frieza's new power (as fans initially joked about), only to poop his pants when Frieza transforms.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I liked Gohan in the early parts of DBZ. During the Saiyan Arc and Freeza Arc they were really forshadowing that he would become extremely powerful. While he did when he killed Cell, that Arc was supposed to be the passing of the torch from Goku to Gohan. What i don't like is how he is portrayed in Super. I didn't like him as Great Saiyaman either.

I miss Ultimate Gohan, but my favorite Gohan by far was the one in Future Trunk's timeline. That Gohan was badass and had that no nonsense attitude. He died like a boss fighting with one arm as the Androids ganged up on him.

The main hate stems from just the insane potential Gohan has as a fighter. While he did become a great fighter as a teen, he never really lived up to the constant foreshadowing that he was going to be the strongest. The ressurrection of F movie tells it all.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:54 pm

omaro34 wrote:The main hate stems from just the insane potential Gohan has as a fighter. While he did become a great fighter as a teen, he never really lived up to the constant foreshadowing that he was going to be the strongest. The ressurrection of F movie tells it all.
But Gohan did become the strongest in the universe on two separate occasions. And on the first occasion he defeated Cell and saved the Earth.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:12 pm

Image........ :D

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:45 am

Dragon Ball Super: "Gohan is Goku's son, a nerd with hidden power he'll never use. His story ended in the last series... leave us alone."