Have you ever been judged because of your interest?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Have you ever been judged because of your interest?

Post by Avery » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:25 am

Where I live, watching anything animated when you're 13+ is considered immature. My two friends and I are probably the only anime fans (or rather, the only ones who know what anime is in the first place) in my school, so we keep it a secret. And despite that, I was mocked by one of them when I said I liked DB. She was like "huh? That thing? It doesn't even deserve its fame".
Even when I do manage to find anime fans, it's just that modern fans around here don't seem to appreciate DB.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 am

MIddle School times. Now, in my job most people talk about Dragon Ball.

My boss once, caught me watching anime (in my break time) and our talk went like this:
- Are you watching anime?
- Yes. But you know what anime is?
- Yeah, I know what anime is. Do you think I'm retard?!

She's a cool person.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Elementary School (1997 - 2001) - DBZ is awesome!!! Best show ever!!
Middle School (2002 - 2004) - DBZ is cool, but GT sucks. The anime on Adult Swim is awesome!
High School (2005 - 2009) - DBZ is still a thing? DBZ Is for little kids!
College (2010 - current) - DBZ is cool. I remember that was my shit back in the day.

In High School after the 9th grade, I had people that where surprise that DBZ is still a thing. In 2009, I went to pick up Raging Blast and the people at Gamestop thought I was going to pick up Modern Warfare 2.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:48 pm

In my Primary School, kids had already embraced anime and weren't ashamed of it at all. Pokemen and DBZ were all the jazz. :D

Then we grew up... :cry:

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm

I never really let it slip outside of to people who I know wouldn't care. I had a friend in high school though who called me immature for playing Pokemon, even though like half our friend group did.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:39 pm

To make it short, I live between France and Japan, and...I've never really got judged in France (a so closed-minded country as you know), but oddly enough, in Japan, yes !
For example, "Do you watch Strong 9 on Sunday mornings ?" or "Do you know Shunsuke Kikuchi ? Is he popular in Japan ?" = "Oh please, don't tell me you're one of those otakus !" or "You'll never catch a girlfriend, with this kind of hobbies !" I've heard that so many times ! Absolutely crazy.

(Considering that, I don't care about animes or mangas, really.I just love Dragon Ball, and that's all.Crual world.)

I can't really explain those reactions.Because I'm a gaikokujin ? Or because I'm 30 years old ?
I'll never talk about DB or Master Kikuchi anymore. :oops:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Elementary School (1997 - 2001) - DBZ is awesome!!! Best show ever!!
Middle School (2002 - 2004) - DBZ is cool, but GT sucks. The anime on Adult Swim is awesome!
High School (2005 - 2009) - DBZ is still a thing? DBZ Is for little kids!
College (2010 - current) - DBZ is cool. I remember that was my shit back in the day.
You know, it's so funny to see this written (in a "this is so true" kind of way), because it's pretty much a perfect replication of how people feel in my personal experiences as well.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Once I enter the 6th grade, I notice less talk about DBZ in 2002. It was still popular, but I didn't see as many people talking about it at the lunch table compare to Yu-Gi-Oh.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:29 am

I think I've embarrassed my brother a couple times, but not as often as I have for non-DB things. Most people who know I like Dragon Ball already know me as a weirdo anyway, so it's probably just buried among other bullet points about me. I suppose it helps that I was already out of school before I got into the series, but I can't picture it having been much of an issue in middle or high school either, at least compared to my other quirks.

Being a pro wrestling fan on the other hand... Oh, people react very negatively to that.
-Rachel

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:08 am

ShinGaijin wrote:To make it short, I live between France and Japan, and...I've never really got judged in France (a so closed-minded country as you know), but oddly enough, in Japan, yes !
For example, "Do you watch Strong 9 on Sunday mornings ?" or "Do you know Shunsuke Kikuchi ? Is he popular in Japan ?" = "Oh please, don't tell me you're one of those otakus !" or "You'll never catch a girlfriend, with this kind of hobbies !" I've heard that so many times ! Absolutely crazy.

(Considering that, I don't care about animes or mangas, really.I just love Dragon Ball, and that's all.Crual world.)

I can't really explain those reactions.Because I'm a gaikokujin ? Or because I'm 30 years old ?
I'll never talk about DB or Master Kikuchi anymore. :oops:
Have you ever received positive responses

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:03 pm

TripleRach wrote:I think I've embarrassed my brother a couple times, but not as often as I have for non-DB things. Most people who know I like Dragon Ball already know me as a weirdo anyway, so it's probably just buried among other bullet points about me. I suppose it helps that I was already out of school before I got into the series, but I can't picture it having been much of an issue in middle or high school either, at least compared to my other quirks.

Being a pro wrestling fan on the other hand... Oh, people react very negatively to that.
Well to be fair, pro wrestling has been awful for years now. (IMO).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
TripleRach wrote:I think I've embarrassed my brother a couple times, but not as often as I have for non-DB things. Most people who know I like Dragon Ball already know me as a weirdo anyway, so it's probably just buried among other bullet points about me. I suppose it helps that I was already out of school before I got into the series, but I can't picture it having been much of an issue in middle or high school either, at least compared to my other quirks.

Well to be fair, North American pro wrestling has been awful for years now. (IMO).
Fixed that for ya. :wink:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:53 pm

My 5th grade teacher said video games rot your brains. I told her she was wrong and probably doesn't now how to play one.

She called me a miserable twerp.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:39 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:My 5th grade teacher said video games rot your brains. I told her she was wrong and probably doesn't now how to play one.

She called me a miserable twerp.
Every generation says that about any new kind of media. I bet her parents told her the same thing about TV, and their parents told them the same thing about radio.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:44 am

Since we're talking about school. I think everyone knew I watched DBZ in highschool which was 2010 at the time. I played Tenkaichi Tag team on my psp at school and brought my mini dvd player to watch DBZ on the bus while we were on a trip. I was never judged at all. At that time I think everyone respected nostalgia, a lot of people were interested in playing Pokémon on their phones.
TripleRach wrote:Being a pro wrestling fan on the other hand... Oh, people react very negatively to that.
Yeah I got plenty of remarks about "it's fake" and all that crap. Even though it is scripted but still.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Yeah and some of these same people are into the following:
-Family guy (sucks so bad)
-All reality trash shows (...i have no comment)
-Spongebob (way past its prime)
and many more
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:57 pm

I get judged in my household all the time (and admittedly find it annoying), but I don't let it change my opinion on the show (Especially since I'm right 90% of the time). I also find it funny because my siblings would act like their opinion is fact, which is ironically a childish way of thinking when I think about it.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames