Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by precita » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:13 am

Now that Freeza has a new voice actor in Kai and Super, its really jarring watching the Freeza saga dub of FUNI and hearing the old Freeza voice.

I understand FUNI would never take the time to redub all of DBZ again, but they did have Chris Sabat record new lines for his Vegeta for the "Season 3" dub that was put on DVD over the old 1999 recordings. Do you think if they ever re-release the series on DVD again, that they would have Chris Ayres redub all of Freeza's lines?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:05 am

precita wrote:Now that Freeza has a new voice actor in Kai and Super, its really jarring watching the Freeza saga dub of FUNI and hearing the old Freeza voice.

I understand FUNI would never take the time to redub all of DBZ again, but they did have Chris Sabat record new lines for his Vegeta for the "Season 3" dub that was put on DVD over the old 1999 recordings. Do you think if they ever re-release the series on DVD again, that they would have Chris Ayres redub all of Freeza's lines?
As utterly awesome as that would be, it's not going to happen. Besides the time factor, there are three other factors:

1) Most of the people who still watch the DBZ dub want it kept as-is because that's the version they like. FUNimation's DBZ dub, while sub-par in many respects, still has a very loyal following. A following that was outraged at the replaced voices in Kai and onward, for that matter. At this point, the only people who legitimately love the DBZ dub are people who want to re-experience what they saw when they first watched the show on Toonami. They're not interested in a loyal re-dub, they want what they know and love. Taking away "the voices of our childhood" would alienate the target audience for the original DBZ dub. Really, Kai was the ultimate win-win situation when it came to the dub...FUNimation got to keep the dub that continues to make them money, while simultaneously creating a dub that, while technically not a re-dub, is a dub of a show that's so damn similar to another one, that it could be considered a pseudo-re-dub. Fans who want what they grew up with get to keep the DBZ dub, and fans who want a dub loyal to the original version have Kai.

2) The re-writing that would be required. Chris Ayres is brilliant as Freeza, but his brilliant performance was aided by the fact that he was also working with J. Michael Tatum's brilliant script adaptations. Currently, no such script adaptations exist for DBZ, which would mean that Ayres would either be brought in to read the dialogue Linda Young originally had (which is not compatible with his performance), or the dialogue would need to be re-written. This in turn would create another problem because it would necessitate further re-dubbing of other characters. Some of Freeza's dialogue is in direct response to how other characters word their responses. So that would mean bringing in Chris Sabat (doable), Sonny Strait (doable), Sean Schemmel (still doable, but more difficult since he doesn't live in Texas anymore), and Stephanie Nadolny (who doesn't appear to be on good terms with FUNimation anymore), among others. Either that or they bring in Colleen Clinkenbeard for Gohan, but, well...see problem #1.

3) By far the biggest one...the money. I'm not accusing FUNimation of being cheap here. In fact, I'm sympathizing with them. To dub an anime is simply not a cheap thing to do, especially if it's done well. Bringing in Ayres means hiring him for his acting, Sabat for his directing, and an engineer for the recording...of many, many episodes. Not to mention hiring a writer for the re-written dialogue, if it came to that. As well as the re-dubbing of other characters. It's a pretty expensive operation, all things considered. One that would likely not be received well because, again, see problem #1.

Any minute I can hear of Ayres as Freeza is a treat. However, this treat is something that I doubt we'll ever have.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gian2408
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Gian2408 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:28 am

Honestly, I love Chris Ayres's Freeza and he is most definitely the better Freeza in my opinion but honestly to have him to back and re-dub Z would disrespect Freeza's original voice actor, Linda Young. She did a good job and she deserves some respect

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17743
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:10 am

Gian2408 wrote:Honestly, I love Chris Ayres's Freeza and he is most definitely the better Freeza in my opinion but honestly to have him to back and re-dub Z would disrespect Freeza's original voice actor, Linda Young. She did a good job and she deserves some respect
I have no reason to disrespect her as a person, but she didn't do a good job and was completely miscast.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8830
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:12 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:which would mean that Ayres would either be brought in to read the dialogue Linda Young originally had (which is not compatible with his performance)
I still think that would make an absolutely amazing bit at a panel though, having Ayres read some of the old dub dialogue in his Freeza voice, and attempt to make it work. :lol:
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:42 am

I'd kill to hear Ayers say "Pop goes the weasel!"
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17743
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:47 am

I don't know if he could make it work, but it would be infinitely better than Young's performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

theoriginalbilis
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 am

Should they? Sure.

Will they? Nah.

Be happy we're living in the age of the faithful dub. The old DBZ dub does have it's place in history; however, it should be remembered as a footnote and not as a milestone.
Twitter: @WillB_Animating Xbox Gamertag: Original Bilis PSN: ChuckleSquirts

User avatar
Man-Child
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Man-Child » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:01 am

I agree with the others. Ayers should totally act out Young's dialogue from the old days, if only for a joke.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:18 am

I guess I wouldn't mind hearing Chris Ayres attempt the original dub dialogue at a joke panel at a con. It would be rather funny to hear Ayres-Freeza say, "All right, big guy, whatever turns you on..."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Deathbringer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:43 am

it's already confusing enough with their different home releases, getting all the actors together for yet another version of the dub for DBZ would be chaos, especially when Funimation are too busy with Majin Boo Kai and Super, not to mention all the other anime they dub. I think I'm satisfied enough with having the great acting in the Kai dub and the 2 new movies alongside the future dub of Super (whenever that comes out) to the point where I have no problems with Funimation leaving Z behind for good now. Maybe when we stop receiving new DB content one day Funi can go back and do a definitive dub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z but right now there are bigger fish to fry.

edit: oh i just realised you only meant Freeza I thought you meant the whole thing just to get to hear great things like chris ayers freeza
Last edited by Deathbringer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8830
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:46 am

Other than the idea of hearing Ayres deliver some of the cheesy dialogue of old, I think the other thing I'm really wishing we could hear his take on is some of the filler stuff, particularly Freeza's reactions while watching Goku's fight with Kid Boo, or even him and Cell's team up in GT.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Honestly, Ayres does an awesome job in Kai, but him redubbing Linda Young's Z work would just be totally out of place and inconsistent with the rest of the dub. Not to mention fans of Kai still wouldn't like that dub, and fans of Z would be bothered by the change.

Many fans, including myself, found the partial redubbing of Season 3 (such as Vegeta, Krillin, the Narrator etc..) to be unnecessary and feel somewhat out of place. Another big problem with them doing the partial redub was the consistency, in that they stopped at the Trunks saga. So you essentially go from Sabat's more developed Vegeta, to his Drummond impression, and eventually back again. I actually went to the trouble of hunting down the old singles of Season 3 just to hear all of the original Funimation performances again.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14026
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Kai was pretty much Funimation's second chance on redubbing DBZ. So there is no point.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by precita » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:41 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Many fans, including myself, found the partial redubbing of Season 3 (such as Vegeta, Krillin, the Narrator etc..) to be unnecessary and feel somewhat out of place. Another big problem with them doing the partial redub was the consistency, in that they stopped at the Trunks saga. So you essentially go from Sabat's more developed Vegeta, to his Drummond impression, and eventually back again. I actually went to the trouble of hunting down the old singles of Season 3 just to hear all of the original Funimation performances again.
I've never seen the Season 3 redub, did they alter any lines or was it just new voices?

I only wish Chris Ayres was discovered around the time the redub of the Freeza saga happened....

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17743
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:04 pm

precita wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: Many fans, including myself, found the partial redubbing of Season 3 (such as Vegeta, Krillin, the Narrator etc..) to be unnecessary and feel somewhat out of place. Another big problem with them doing the partial redub was the consistency, in that they stopped at the Trunks saga. So you essentially go from Sabat's more developed Vegeta, to his Drummond impression, and eventually back again. I actually went to the trouble of hunting down the old singles of Season 3 just to hear all of the original Funimation performances again.
I've never seen the Season 3 redub, did they alter any lines or was it just new voices?

I only wish Chris Ayres was discovered around the time the redub of the Freeza saga happened....
There are occasionally different lines.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:21 pm

ABED wrote:
precita wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: Many fans, including myself, found the partial redubbing of Season 3 (such as Vegeta, Krillin, the Narrator etc..) to be unnecessary and feel somewhat out of place. Another big problem with them doing the partial redub was the consistency, in that they stopped at the Trunks saga. So you essentially go from Sabat's more developed Vegeta, to his Drummond impression, and eventually back again. I actually went to the trouble of hunting down the old singles of Season 3 just to hear all of the original Funimation performances again.
I've never seen the Season 3 redub, did they alter any lines or was it just new voices?

I only wish Chris Ayres was discovered around the time the redub of the Freeza saga happened....
There are occasionally different lines.
Yes, but "occasionally" is quite the proper word in this instance. By the time "Season 3" was re-dubbed, the lines were the same for the most part. The changes, while appreciated, were very minor in the grand scheme of things. One quick example...

Freeza, fighting Nail (original dub dialogue): Any last wishes before you go the way of the dodo?
Freeza, fighting Nail (re-dub dialogue): Any last wishes before I kill you?

Stuff like that. For the most part, the re-dubbing didn't extend to re-writing, and was instead for the sake of voice consistency, either because voice actors moved on (Dale Kelly's recordings for the narrator and for Ginyu were re-dubbed by Kyle Hebert and Brice Armstrong, respectively), or because some voice actors began using voices for their characters that were different from when they first started (with Chris Sabat's Vegeta being the most notable example). One could argue that that effort was in vain, though, since--as was mentioned earlier--they stopped doing that as soon as Trunks showed up.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Akumaito Beam
Regular
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:03 pm

In my ideal dream world I'd love a Kai redub of Z as an optional audio track. It's super unrealistic but a lot of crazy shit has happened in the last few years so... :problem:

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6117
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Honestly, with Kai, I'm beyond the mindset of trying to "fix" the old dubs. In fact, I'd rather they stopped using their "revised" dub and use the cheesy as hell original Season 3 dub and on. We have Kai for a good dub (as long as we get the Boo arc at least), and honestly that's good enough for me.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17743
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Should Chris Ayres redub Freeza in DBZ?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:46 pm

The patchwork dub of Z is awful and off putting. Even if Sabat's work had improved a lot over the years, it was weird hearing 07 Vegeta interact with 99 Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply