It should have been 'Revival of C' and not F

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: It should have been 'Revival of C' and not F

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 am

Speaking of the title "Revival of...", I still don't understand why it's translated that way (I don't have nearly enough Japanese knowledge to understand it, I guess).

See, I always thought that the "owner" element was first and that the "caracteristic or object associated to the owner" was set after the Japanese word "no".
Like "Kuraudo no tema" = "Cloud's theme" (whereas "Tema no Kuraudo" would mean "The theme's Cloud", which might make less sense).

In that case, if it was "The revival of F" of "F's revival", shouldn't it be "F no Fukkatsu" to begin with?

If it's "Fukkatsu no F", how come it doesn't actually rather mean "Fukkatsu's F" as in "The letter F from the word Fukkatsu", basically being something like "F as in Fukkatsu" or what would be "R as in Resurrected" or "B as in Back from the dead" (except we need the letter to be an "F" since it refers to Freezer).

Or did I get something wrong and can words around the Japanese "no" be put in any order (with "Furiza no fukkatsu" and "Fukkatsu no Furiza" both meaning "Freezer's revival" regardless of the order of the words)?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Count me among those that actually kind of enjoys how self-contained the Androids/Cell arc is, and how it's actually kind of 'minuscule' in the eyes of the DB universe as a whole. The arc might overall not be one of my favorites, but the fact that it's a bit more of a personal story (well...sort of...if you think of it in the light we're talking about right now, anyway) than most of the other ones, makes it stand out a little better. Sure, the events of the Saiyan and Freeza arcs are connected to Goku because of it being about his heritage, but the whole reason for the Cell arc is because of Goku himself, not who or what he's descended from. It comes entirely from one person's thirst for revenge against that little boy we all saw grow up.
Well the main point of that arc was that everyone on Earth dies, but yeah, the Android/Cell arc has no impact on the universe as a whole.

That's why nobody came to help the Earth and Supreme Kai didn't care.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Meh. I was never really into Cell as a villain. Freeza was far more of a significantly and just much better well written character as a whole. And his legacy was so immense, that honestly, he was the only villain that could be brought back to the dead by his followers and you could buy into the premise.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:26 pm

precita wrote:Well the main point of that arc was that everyone on Earth dies, but yeah, the Android/Cell arc has no impact on the universe as a whole.

That's why nobody came to help the Earth and Supreme Kai didn't care.
Well, true, but that only happened because Gero was so desperate for revenge against Goku. Kinda ironic that in the timeline where he kind of achieved what he wanted, it was only because he never got to cause Goku's death in any shape or form, and he himself still dies by his own creation's hands regardless. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:06 am

I don't remember, did Cell ever say what he was going to do if he beat Gohan? I know he said he was going to destroy the Earth, but what did he plan to do after? Did Cell have any plans to conquer the galaxy like Freeza did?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 am

Cell would travel across the universe looking for someone to fight. I doubt he would be standing in space forever if he destroy the Earth if he won against Gohan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:14 am

I think he said something about realizing Gero's 'true' plan after he came back from near death from explosion, thinking that he was meant to 'destroy' the universe or something.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Speaking of the title "Revival of...", I still don't understand why it's translated that way (I don't have nearly enough Japanese knowledge to understand it, I guess).

See, I always thought that the "owner" element was first and that the "caracteristic or object associated to the owner" was set after the Japanese word "no".
Like "Kuraudo no tema" = "Cloud's theme" (whereas "Tema no Kuraudo" would mean "The theme's Cloud", which might make less sense).

In that case, if it was "The revival of F" of "F's revival", shouldn't it be "F no Fukkatsu" to begin with?

If it's "Fukkatsu no F", how come it doesn't actually rather mean "Fukkatsu's F" as in "The letter F from the word Fukkatsu", basically being something like "F as in Fukkatsu" or what would be "R as in Resurrected" or "B as in Back from the dead" (except we need the letter to be an "F" since it refers to Freezer).

Or did I get something wrong and can words around the Japanese "no" be put in any order (with "Furiza no fukkatsu" and "Fukkatsu no Furiza" both meaning "Freezer's revival" regardless of the order of the words)?
If I'm not mistaken, the word revival does not fit within the whole "No/of/Owner" thing. Revival or resurrection is not really a characteristic if you think about it. But it does make it sense, it should be "F no Fukkatsu" if we use your logic.

Regarding the post, just like someone said earlier, there's no one that Cell has a connection with to be brought back, he was on it's own. The only one would be a member of the RR Army or 17 himself, since he is still around in Z, at least in the Anime.
Freeza was the first Main threat to the Z warriors, he is more imposing and more evil than Cell. If you ask a 100 people, who is the first enemy that comes to your mind when someone says to you "Dragon Ball Z?." People would say Freeza more times than Cell. It was smart by TOEI to bring back Freeza, since it was very intriguing to know how his whole resurrection worked out. Since day one, people were going crazy as to how was Freeza brought back and why. Not sure if it would have worked with Cell. The execution would have been different.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Can Cell even be wished back to life? I mean, do artificially created beings even have souls? Would Androids 16 and 19 also be able to come back to life since they too are completely artificially created? (filler, movies, and GT not withstanding obviously)

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:10 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:Can Cell even be wished back to life? I mean, do artificially created beings even have souls? Would Androids 16 and 19 also be able to come back to life since they too are completely artificially created? (filler, movies, and GT not withstanding obviously)
Cell is not pure android or pure robot he has ki so that's why in GT someone can sense android 17 ki. The non pure robot seems can produce biological ki after a while.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 pm

successoroffate wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:Speaking of the title "Revival of...", I still don't understand why it's translated that way (I don't have nearly enough Japanese knowledge to understand it, I guess).

If I'm not mistaken, the word revival does not fit within the whole "No/of/Owner" thing. Revival or resurrection is not really a characteristic if you think about it. But it does make it sense, it should be "F no Fukkatsu" if we use your logic.
The way I always saw it, it was a pun on the fact that "Fukkatsu" and "Freeza" both start with "F". (Plus, y'know, the song "F" which was the inspiration for the movie.) So while it probably makes more sense for an English translation to just stick to the "F for Freeza"-thing and translate the title accordingly, it can also be seen as "The F in Fukkatsu", which is apparently what ANN initially translated the title as... much to the annoyance of people on this forum. Actually this is the reason why I liked the official translation of "Resurrection F" so much, as that actually does sort of maintain the double meaning by cutting out the connecting particle entirely. (Also it was coincidentally the title I'd already settled on using for the movie even before it started to be used officially...)

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Cell's one of my favorites (along with Beerus and King Piccolo), but I don't think they should bring him back any time soon. Cell's at his best when he's a mystery and a surprise. If he comes back, I don't think any justice is going to be done to the character, so I say leave him be. Also Wakamoto sadly can't nail Cell's voice like he used to.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:46 pm

I don't see why it would be so farfetched for Cell to not really even be dead yet: let's say Gohan didn't actually finish him off. Maybe, during the Buu arc and these two latest movies, Cell was slowly but surely regenerating again... After finally coming back to life, wouldn't he get a massive zenkai boost? Not only that, like Freeza, Cell has never trained, so what if he did? Cell was a lot stronger than pre-Resurrection F Freeza, and Cell has his genes... Cell would be an absolute monster if he came back. So no, I don't think Resurrection F should have been Resurrection C, but Cell could be a very convincing threat for a third (and final?) DBZ movie.

So with all of that in mind, if Cell can't be killed, how can he be defeated? There's one way that I feel would bring the entire Dragon Ball series full circle, but I'd rather keep it to myself...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:43 pm

If that was true then wouldn't he not be wished back when Buu blew up the Earth if he has been around for so long?
She/Her

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:42 am

If you'll recall, Gohan's blast shot up into space, so the few remaining cells needed for regeneration were too! :wink:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Literally every particle of Cell is shown disintegrated (it takes 5 panels) on Earth in the manga. In the anime, it actually shows Cell's nucleus destroyed.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:43 pm

Give me a break, cells are microscopic.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Give me a break, cells are microscopic.
True, but "regenerate from a single cell" is a dubism. The original line is that Cell needs his nucleus to regenerate. The anime goes out of its way to show his nucleus being blown to pieces (and those pieces being blown to pieces).

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Cell is a better character and villain than Frieza. I also enjoyed the self-contained elements of the arc. Although he's not as important as or as iconic as Frieza.

But I really like this idea, although I think "Golden Cell" should be left out since it won't make much more sense than Golden Frieza.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:38 pm

They could have Cell have a new form called "Perfect Blue" :lol: .
She/Her