What's a Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

What's a Kai?

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:50 am

As in "Kai-O sama" I know the "O" part is Japanese for "King" but what about the "Kai" part? I presume it has something to do with spirits or divinity, since its in the names of a lot of Dragonball gods (kaio, kaioshin, hakaishin), but i thought "kami" was the Japanese word for god? Is it the same word that makes up "Yokai" (which seems like the opposite of gods)? What about "Dragonball Kai"?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: What's a Kai?

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:59 am

In the case of the blue catfish guy and associates, it's 界/Kai, meaning "world". 界王/Kaiou literally means "World-King" (hence Viz's translation "Lord of Worlds"). That's the same "Kaio(u)" as in "Kaio-Ken" (界王拳/Kaiou-Ken, literally "World-King Fist/Attack", the idea being that the technique is named after him).

The larger idea behind the name is that the lower-level gods in the DB pantheon are the gods of individual worlds, like that green loser in charge of Earth, and then up above them you've got Kaio, the "Lord of Worlds" who serves as god of many planets instead of just one. Then later the other different Kaios are introduced, corresponding to the different galaxies/areas of the universe, with a Grand Kaio in charge of them. Then above them is Kaioshin, the "God of the Kaios" (or "God of the Lords of the Worlds"...Viz shortens this to "Lord of Lords"). Then Kaioshin turns out to just be one of several Kaioshins. Then Beerus turns up. But I'm getting off topic.

Meanwhile, the "Kai" in the title of "Dragon Ball (Z) Kai" is 改/Kai, meaning to revise or update. It's unrelated to the various gods throughout the series.

Beerus' title is "God of Destruction", which in Japanese is 破壊神/Hakaishin. Here, 壊/Kai means "destroy" and is unrelated to the above to "Kai"s.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:00 am

So the full translation of their title is "World King".
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:13 am

Herms wrote:In the case of the blue catfish guy and associates, it's 界/Kai, meaning "world". 界王/Kaiou literally means "World-King" (hence Viz's translation "Lord of Worlds"). That's the same "Kaio(u)" as in "Kaio-Ken" (界王拳/Kaiou-Ken, literally "World-King Fist/Attack", the idea being that the technique is named after him).

The larger idea behind the name is that the lower-level gods in the DB pantheon are the gods of individual worlds, like that green loser in charge of Earth, and then up above them you've got Kaio, the "Lord of Worlds" who serves as gods of many planets instead of just one. Then later the other different Kaios are introduced, corresponding to the different galaxies/areas of the universe with a Grand-Kaio in charge of them. Then above them is Kaioshin, the "God of the Kaios" (or "God of the Lords of the Worlds"...Viz shortens this to "Lord of Lords"). Then Kaioshin turns out to just be one of several Kaioshins. Then Beerus turns up. But I'm getting off topic.
Thanks! So would that make "Hakaishin" something like: Divine World Destroyer? (I'm assuming "shin" here is the same as in Shenlong, which according to the podcast means "Dragon god", or "Hokuto Shin Ken"/Divine Fist of the North Star for a non-Dragonball use)
edit: oops. I missed the last part of your post. nevermind.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:20 am

I guess that clears things up, but does that mean that "shin" has a higher connotation than "kami" Since the latter is used for the highest(?) gods in the universe and kami is used for the "green loser"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:27 am

So was King Kai an accurate dub translation?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:41 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:I guess that clears things up, but does that mean that "shin" has a higher connotation than "kami" Since the latter is used for the highest(?) gods in the universe and kami is used for the "green loser"
No, they're both different readings of the same kanji, 神. When this kanji is written on its own, it's read as kami. When it's used in a compound word, it's read as shin. That's why it's shin in "Kaioshin" and "Hakaishin".
precita wrote:So was King Kai an accurate dub translation?
To put it into perspective..."Ox King" in Japanese is Gyuumaou (literally "Ox Demon King", but we'll ignore the "demon" bit for the sake of this analogy). Imagine if, instead, of "Ox King", Funi had translated his name as "King Gyu". That's basically equivalent to translating Kaiou as "King Kai".

Or for that matter, over in One Piece Luffy's dream is to become the kaizoku-ou, the "Pirate King". Imagine if instead of "Pirate King", Funi's dub of One Piece had Luffy going around talking about how he'll become "King Kaizoku".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:15 am

Herms wrote:Or for that matter, over in One Piece Luffy's dream is to become the kaizoku-ou, the "Pirate King". Imagine if instead of "Pirate King", Funi's dub of One Piece had Luffy going around talking about how he'll become "King Kaizoku".
This is nitpicking, but technically Funimation doesn't translate it as "Pirate King". All the official English translations of One Piece (4Kids, Funimation, Viz) translate kaizoku-ou as "King of the Pirates" (to which there has actually been negative feedback from some fans for various reasons).

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:40 pm

And to go even further, could you translate Kaioken as "Fist of the Lord of the Worlds"?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Why not "World King Fist"? That is if you are pointing out the equivalent you came up couldnt fit the mouth movements.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:53 pm

I was just looking for a general translation, not necessarily something that fit the mouthflaps. In that case, yours would be better, yes.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:43 am

I usually would adapt it as the Galactic King/Overseer. It may not be literal, but conveys the point without sounding awkward like World King when he oversees more than 1 planet.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:30 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I usually would adapt it as the Galactic King/Overseer. It may not be literal, but conveys the point without sounding awkward like World King when he oversees more than 1 planet.
"Lord of Worlds" always worked for me as an adaptive translation. Its mostly accurate and "Lord" gets the point across better that this is a divine god/deity rather than some weird secularized sci fi alien-thing, which has always been FUNi's fairly lame approach to this sort of thing.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Besides, there's already a Galactic King in the Jaco manga.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:03 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I usually would adapt it as the Galactic King/Overseer. It may not be literal, but conveys the point without sounding awkward like World King when he oversees more than 1 planet.
"Lord of Worlds" always worked for me as an adaptive translation. Its mostly accurate and "Lord" gets the point across better that this is a divine god/deity rather than some weird secularized sci fi alien-thing, which has always been FUNi's fairly lame approach to this sort of thing.
With kanji unless there's a pluralising suffix, i.e. 達 (tachi), 等 (ra) etc., it's hard to tell whether the noun in question is in plural or not, therefore translating it as "Lord/King/Ruler(of) World(s)" could technically work. On a related note presumably the teleportation technique "Kaikai" (カイカイ) is derived duplicating the reading for 界 (kai "world/realm").
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Shoryuken wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:
With kanji unless there's a pluralising suffix, i.e. 達 (tachi), 等 (ra) etc., it's hard to tell whether the noun in question is in plural or not, therefore translating it as "Lord/King/Ruler(of) World(s)" could technically work. On a related note presumably the teleportation technique "Kaikai" (カイカイ) is derived duplicating the reading for 界 (kai "world/realm").
I always thought it meant (from) kai/world (to) kai/world
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:20 am

Huh. I thought it would have been taken from kai/改 and kai/界, playing off “revised/changed” and "world"...kinda like a joke for changing locations...? No? Okay...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:10 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: I always thought it meant (from) kai/world (to) kai/world
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Huh. I thought it would have been taken from kai/改 and kai/界, playing off “revised/changed” and "world"...kinda like a joke for changing locations...? No? Okay...
Thing is, the technique-name is written in katakana, i.e. a purely phonetic system, so it can in theory be any of them. I just based my assumption on that it's the technique used by the kaioushins hence "kaikai". Interestingly enough though a quick search on Tangorin reveals that there's an expression in Japanese called kaikaide ("swiftly, rapidly, hurriedly").
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu